Van Buren Supernova

Introverts, how is your day?

7 minutes ago, Artemis said:

I don’t know anyone who sews.  :(  I’d have to pay a tailor.

It wouldn't hurt to check around for prices.  Doing just one leg shouldn't take much time, especially for someone who has good equipment, so it shouldn't cost all that much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It really shouldn't cost much. 

I used to have the waist of my skirts altered to fit my hollow back better - a fairly complicated job - and I never payed more than the equivalent of 20 dollars for that. Don't know how it is where you live but here, there are los of small family businesses that do alterations like that. Often next to and / or affiliated with cleaners. 

• Like 1

I’ve only paid to have clothes altered twice; both were dress hems, different tailors, and it cost $80 for the first and $75 for the second.  So I’m less optimistic, even for a simple pant leg.  But I’ll look around.

• Sad 1

My brother-in-law owns a small dry cleaning business and a local woman handles alterations and repairs for him. She charged me $7 to hem a pair of pants.  So maybe you could check with the cleaners and or laundries in you area. I do live in a small town so it may be more in a larger urban area.

• Like 2

In my limited experience, tailors tend to be on the staff of department stores and clothing shops, and their services are often free for garments purchased there.  But they don't really care to alter garments you bought elsewhere, so they charge quite a lot for that, if they'll do it at all.

In contrast, alterations people (if there's an official term, sorry, I don't know what it is) tend to be self-employed but available through dry-cleaning shops.  They are perfectly willing to alter garments bought anywhere, and can also do some really amazing jobs of mending.  Their fees tend to be far more reasonable.

So I agree with Tobe and Kim, I'd try asking at a locally owned dry cleaners.  There will often be an "Alterations" sign in the window or over the counter.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 12:45 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

In contrast, alterations people (if there's an official term, sorry, I don't know what it is) tend to be self-employed but available through dry-cleaning shops.  They are perfectly willing to alter garments bought anywhere, and can also do some really amazing jobs of mending.  Their fees tend to be far more reasonable.

^ That is the kind of “tailor”/“alterations person” I hired to alter my clothes those two times.  :bemused: 

• Confused 1

On 10/24/2019 at 12:48 PM, Van Buren Supernova said:

Two week after next?

I'm threatened to host something next month, which I have to be the one to do it, because it's my thing, which is supposed to be happy thing, and I am terrified.

Don't do it, VBS! Somebody stop her!!!!! :D 

18 hours ago, Artemis said:

That is the kind of “tailor”/“alterations person” I hired to alter my clothes those two times.

All I can say is, the price of everything keeps going up, so maybe my sense of a fair price for alterations is a bit outdated.  :(

My dad is back on his ultra-clingy anxiety streak after getting an ear infection.  He’s driving me insane.

My laptop went kaput this morning.  Motherboard issue, essentially irreparable.  At least I have my iPad for basic functions, but being without a working computer is the last thing I needed right now.  I have to have it for work.  Hopefully I can save up for a new one quickly, but I just spent what little I had on clothes I needed for my evening/weekend job.

When it rains it pours.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Artemis said:

My dad is back on his ultra-clingy anxiety streak after getting an ear infection.  He’s driving me insane.

I can imagine!  Is his infection what took you to the emergency room on Halloween?  And how's it coming along?  Hopefully he'll relax a bit once it's all cleared up.

20 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Is his infection what took you to the emergency room on Halloween?

Yep.

20 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

And how's it coming along?  Hopefully he'll relax a bit once it's all cleared up.

I hope so.  It’ll be a slow heal, but it’s on the mend, though you’d hardly know it to ask him.  When he gets sick with anything, no matter how minor, he imagines he suffers from all sorts of additional maladies.  Yesterday evening he was on the brink of death because he hadn’t eaten since breakfast.  Today he has a hernia.  

In his defense, it was a pretty bad ear infection.

My father was accustomed to having everything his own way, so I'm eternally grateful that his care was in the very capable and patient hands of my mother.  I can't even imagine how I could have dealt with him.  You definitely have my sympathy!

Hang in there....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/26/2019 at 4:23 AM, Artemis said:

I’ve only paid to have clothes altered twice; both were dress hems, different tailors, and it cost $80 for the first and $75 for the second.  So I’m less optimistic, even for a simple pant leg.  But I’ll look around.

My friend the seamstress altered clothes for people at work and she charged $3 a leg.  Even if the going pro rate is double that, it's only 10% of the price you paid.  They sound like nice trousers and worth altering.  

It obviously pays to ask around, since some places charge far more than others.  Maybe check the bulletin board at the supermarket.  Or ask people you know whether they can recommend anyone; that way you'd know if the person does good work.

It's getting harder in general to find people who will repair small items (e.g., toasters, shoes), but such people do still exist, thank goodness.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2019 at 11:09 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

It's getting harder in general to find people who will repair small items

A (unfortunately) men. Lately I've spent far more time than I ever wanted to learning how to make my own repairs.

I've got a friend who simply wants two doors replaced; one's an exterior door, and I know those are a bit more costly, because they have to keep the weather out … the other's a simple interior door. It also needs a little repair to the frame. The first quote she got was for $12,000. The second guy spent 3 hours at her house trying to sell her every upgrade the company was capable of, and didn't seem capable of simply replacing the doors. The third said the job was too small for his firm. She still hasn't got the doors replaced.

• Confused 1

Oh my heavens!  I'd like some doors (two interior, one exterior) replaced too, but haven't gotten around to asking for bids yet.  There's a fellow who did some repairs for us a few years back; I need to find out if he's still in business.  And there's another guy who will be installing a canopy for us, and if I like his work, I'll see what other kinds of work he has experience with.  Wish me luck -- and I'll wish the same for you!

Hopefully it'll be easier where you are. I genuinely think the problem in this area is that most people (quite sensibly) want tech jobs, of which there are plenty and more to come. Why settle for 12 hours a day of sweat and dirt when you can make twice as much in half the time sitting quietly in a clean, air-conditioned building? It takes a special someone to prefer working with their hands, and we just don't have enough of them.

10 hours ago, Arcadia said:

It takes a special someone to prefer working with their hands, and we just don't have enough of them.

Nope, we sure don't, not even around here.  And there are a lot of people around here going for the "important" jobs.  I don't care what line of work a person is in, if they're skilled and conscientious, I respect them.  I've seen far too many sloppy programmers and far too few skilled repair people.

• Like 2