Van Buren Supernova

Introverts, how is your day?

6 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

There's something disturbing about a stranger being able to look at your house from the other side of the world. I just had an order from Australia, but the guy didn't put in his post code or state so I had to Google his address. Up pops the address, along with a photo of his house, and Google street view. I know it's harmless, but there's something disturbing about that, that he orders something from literally the opposite side of the world and I'm looking at his house. 

When I used to work for Virgin Media fixing TV faults we could see what the boxes were doing by the signals bouncing back. So you'd be saying 'the green light should be on now... and the red just started to blink... you'll have the welcome message on the screen....'  and quite often people would get a bit freaked out that we were secretly watching them. 

Yep, it is a bit freaky. I was asked to do a painting of a house once, but it had been remodeled and the clients didn't have a recent picture ... so they did exactly what you described, and downloaded a more recent photo from Google. The whole time I was painting it I feel vaguely voyeuristic, for some reason.

The funny part was ... in the photo there was a van in the driveway, which I faithfully included because it was blocking my view of whatever was behind it and I didn't know what else to put there. The clients sent the painting to the people they had bought it for; and they returned it, asking for a redo ... because it wasn't their van! It was a workman's van that just happened to be sitting in the driveway when Google took the shot. So I got paid double for redoing the painting sans van. It helped alleviate my guilt somewhat. :D 

5 hours ago, Hikari said:

Today's Word of the Day (not making this up) from Dictionary.com:  "Solitudinarian: a recluse; one who seeks solitude."

http://www.dictionary.com/wordoftheday/

"Introverts" is easier to say, though.

I should have that put on a t-shirt. ;) 

• Like 2

The snow missed me (on its way to Arcadia), at Mom's house. I was watching the radar, and it was swirling all around us, the calm in the eye of the storm, I guess.  I think we may have had a flake or two, but if so they were so small that I was never certain.

Alex said we had around four inches at home (40-50 miles away) overnight, but by the time I got there in mid-afternoon, it had virtually all melted. That's spring for you!

They're threatening more for tomorrow, though.

• Like 1

I have enough of rainy Christmas and snowy Easters. I just sent out a petition to switch their dates. :/

• Like 2

I may or may not have snow tomorrow. And if I do, it might not be much and will likely be gone by the next day at the latest. The most recent storm track I saw had the snow just south and west of me by less than an hour’s drive and possibly even closer than that.

I'm expecting snow today too, around 3 to 5 inches. But as stated above it's spring and the ground is warm so who knows how much will actually stick, probably not much since it was in the fifties here yesterday. But I'm afraid my lilacs won't survive another cold spell.

Just heard the snow plow scrape by again on the road.  They're now saying 5-8 inches, which is at least an improvement over the 8-12 they were predicting last night.  We'll see.

Your lilacs are blooming already?  Don't think they're  even close to it around here.  Mom's daffodils are on the verge though.  The snow is bound to be wet at these temperatures.  The daffodils shouldn't have any trouble with the cold snap, as long as the wet snow doesn't weigh them down too much.

No actual blooms on the lilacs yet, but they have leaves and a few small buds. We've had several warm, mild days here in between the snow. It's spring you know lol

• Haha 1

OMG Today is March 25. Spring came. What is going on? Snow should have stop.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Spent the last two days digging up the weed patch that is (was) my front garden and putting down weed fabric that I'll then cover with some nice gravel. Oh god, the pain, everything hurts. Was much more than a one woman job in all honesty but through sheer-bl00dy-mindedness I prevailed. Unfortunately I now have 25 very heavy bags of rubble/refuse to take to the tip, which I have no idea when I'll get done since I'm busy when the tip is open and my car will only take three anyway. I'm lying on my bed now and everything is throbbing, I'm like a giant bruise. 

In other news I got my new car - hoorah! It was very fast and straight-forward once I made the decision, plus they gave me a good price for mine in part exchange. I'm now trying to get used to driving it when everything is different. The gear stick sticks out of the dashboard rather than being tucked between the seats, which means every time I need to change gear I flail about wildly trying to find the stick. 

• Like 1

That truly is weird -- though a 70's Dodge Dart that I drove a few times had gear *buttons* on the dash.  That worked very nicely as I recall, but of course it had an automatic transmission, so it wasn't like I had to change gears in heavy traffic, when I didn't dare take my eyes off the road.  I assume yours is automatic as well?

When I was a kid, the gearshifts (manual as well as automatic, I think) on typical American cars were at the top of the steering wheel.  That always did look odd to me. Don't recall that I ever drove one of those, but between the seats always has felt like the right place.

Nope, automatic cars aren't the norm here. Manual.

When I say it sticks out of the dashboard it's still in the middle of the car, it's not right by the steering wheel or anything. 

Gear buttons sound very odd!

I feel you. But you will get used to it very soon.

And - funny, but I never drove an automatic. Would have to tie down my left foot. :blush:

I never have either, I'd be exactly the same. :D

There are Americans who have never driven a manual-transmission car, and I'm married to one of them.  He once tried to drive my car when my left hand was injured, and -- well, d'you recall that Star Trek scene where Kirk is trying to drive an old car?  Like that.  I quickly discovered that it's possible to shift without using one's left hand to hold the wheel -- if necessary to preserve the integrity of one's beloved vehicle.

But that's OK -- he plays guitar beautifully, whereas I'd have no idea where to even start.  We all have our specialties!

• Like 2

Ha, I can imagine the winces. Worst thing I've had to deal with was trying to wrestle the handbrake on and off with a broken thumb. Yowch. Eventually I just got used to half contorting and using my other hand, but I'm really short so I have to sit very close to the steering wheel, doesn't leave much room for twisting.

I've discovered my new car seat pumps up, which is very handy because I felt like a mole on my test drive trying to peer over the steering wheel, but the seat is also way too deep so I have to have a cushion behind me. I don't know that I've ever come across such a deep seat, my knee joint is inches away from the edge. It's a really small car, there can't be that many daddy-long-legs type people driving them surely?

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 5:38 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

There are Americans who have never driven a manual-transmission car.....

:wave2:

Can't play guitar either. I'm such an under-achiever....

• Like 3

I'm afraid I'm getting more sensitive with age, last week I went to a fair with my best friend. Neither of us were able enjoy it: I couldn't stand the noise and she didn't enjoy the spinning attractions. I'd hoped that it wouldn't happen until I was at least 30!

Fantasy, it might be that the noise lever has risen. It definitely did in cinemas. Probably because the big part of the population is half deaf… from all the noise.

• Like 2

Yeah, fairs and carnivals used to be fun and relaxing.  I agree with J.P., they're not nearly as laid-back as they used to be, and that may be what you're reacting to.

I had to re-wax my hiking trousers this morning, and they're hanging on the gate out my back garden drying. But twice now I've spotted them from the kitchen window,  from the corner of my eye, and they've scared the shit out of me by making me think there is someone out there watching me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I remember a forum meet years ago, when we've bought two cardboard standees to decorate the living room. They scared the beep out of us on regular basis, especially by peaking out of the window when you stood outside of the house.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jeez, seeing something in the house peeking out would be so much worse. 

• Like 1

Starting the work week on a Tuesday instead of a Monday because if the bank holiday, so I should be happier that it's already closer to the weekend. But no, instead I'm feeling morbidly depressed. 

Because you have the same amount of work, but only four days to do it in?