Van Buren Supernova

Introverts, how is your day?

Now I'm tempted to find some if I have time later.

I think if I didn't have a kid to worry about, I would almost like the pandemic lifestyle... 

But motherhood aside, there is one aspect that makes me really sad atm: my best friend, the "Sherlock" in my Watson life since childhood, is on immunosuppressants and I work with sick people. So we can't meet at all, even though things are calming down here in Germany and hanging out one on one would otherwise be perfectly legal and reasonably safe atm. 

But nope. No taking chances here. 

It's weird, we're both rather solitary and have been perfectly content with only meeting in person once a month or so for years. But now as we're both feeling increasingly burnt out and blue from this whole thing, we're finding ourselves really longing for each other's company. 

Seriously, I saw that scene from The Lying Detective the other day where Sherlock and John hug and agree that nothing is ok but it is what it is and I almost cried because that's exactly what I want right now and I can't have it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

14 hours ago, T.o.b.y said:

... my best friend, the "Sherlock" in my Watson life since childhood, is on immunosuppressants and I work with sick people. So we can't meet at all....

That is such a shame, Tobe.  :(   When (i.e., under what conditions) do you think it might be reasonably safe for the two of you to get together again?

2 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

That is such a shame, Tobe.  :(   When (i.e., under what conditions) do you think it might be reasonably safe for the two of you to get together again?

Well, either when she's off the meds (first attempt to discontinue them will probably be in about a year). Or when we have a vaccine. Or if Germany should by some miracle become new-virus-free sooner. Or if the "immunity after infection" theory were to be proven true and I had a positive antibody test. 

If there were an emergency that required me to visit her, I would dress up in full protective gear and do it. But otherwise, it's texting, phone and Skype for now. 

Perhaps when the weather gets warmer, we'll meet outside some time. I think that could work - open space, both wear our masks, keep six feet apart etc. But no hugs... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I feel you, here we are allowed to see 4 people again. I saw 2 already, I haven't seen my friends in weeks and the urge to hug them is huge. unfortunately I could only give a wuhan shake, the skin hunger is real.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'd probably be going nuts right now if it weren't for my husband, our cats, and this forum -- so I can kinda understand how you guys must be feeling.

I've moved around too much to have a long-time best friend, but have hardly seen one special friend since all this started.  She's been very busy since last fall, so I might not have seen her anyhow, but the virus sure isn't helping.  I've tried to stay in touch, but her responses have been pretty perfunctory.  It makes me wonder whether she might have lost interest in our friendship.

• Sad 1

She might - or she might just be stressed out and/or a bit depressed by the current situation (either would be understandable). Give her a bit of time till things have gone back to what goes for normal in these times. :unsure: 

I feel sad for you all.  :(  At the same time, I kind of wish I had someone to miss this much.  The only conversation I've had has been on this forum, and visits with my dad.  I can't even remember the last physical contact I had with a person...  Pretty sure my last hug was in 2016 before my (ex-)fiancé and I broke up.  So I'm not really feeling the absence of anyone right now; but I remember what it was like to have a close friend, so I really do feel for you all.

• Sad 2

I've had an awful week.  One of my dogs has a collapsing trachea, and it appears to have worsened recently.  He had a respiratory attack on Tuesday like I've never seen, and another on Friday.  He was basically choking, he couldn't get any air.  I had to take him to the animal hospital.  They took an X-ray and determined that part of his trachea has almost completely collapsed.  He's at home and on meds now, but he's likely to go through this again in the future, and prognosis isn't good at this stage.  I'm extremely sad, and living in dread of the next time it happens.  I have a very close bond with my dog.  He's my boy.  It hurts to watch him suffer like that, and I will be heartbroken when he leaves me.

I also used up the last of the money I had to get through this month on his hospital bill, so I'm in trouble.

Blast this curséd year.

• Sad 3

Oh [censored] ... poor boy and poor you! :cry: It's hard when that moment we all dread comes unexpected, but it's even worse when you can see it coming, imo. Give him a hug from me, and have one yourself. :hugz:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1