Sherlock's Fun Facts and Trivia

Is this Sherlock’s secret retreat?

Bit weird this. If you type in 221b Baker Street you get a view of this down-at-heel address, listed as the 221b Baker Street Agency? I can’t see any sign on the building that mentions the ‘agency’ and the road is actually called ‘High Road.’

Is this a detective agency?

When I type in that address, I get a nice little bungalow in Georgia.  I'm gonna guess it depends on where you're querying from.  Does your map say what town it's in?  If not, try zooming 'way out till you can see more than one town, which should all be labeled.

If I specify 221B Baker Street, London, I get the Sherlock Holmes Museum -- which, as you know, has claimed that address, even though they're not located between 219 and 223.  (Pretty close, though.)

When I type in that address, I get a nice little bungalow in Georgia. I'm gonna guess it depends on where you're querying from. Does your map say what town it's in? If not, try zooming 'way out till you can see more than one town, which should all be labeled.

If I specify 221B Baker Street, London, I get the Sherlock Holmes Museum -- which, as you know, has claimed that address, even though they're not located between 219 and 223. (Pretty close, though.)

I typed in ‘221b Baker Street London’ And the same picture comes up. It’s in the Haringay area of London.

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@51.604496,-0.111809,-97.28h,5p,1z

This is it.

My best guess is that -- for whatever reason -- the search is finding the agency rather than the address.  Odd.  I've never had that happen except a few times when I actually *was* searching for a place rather than an address.

Maybe that's where they're secretly filming the new episodes. ;)

• Like 3

Either that Arcadia, or it’s the secret headquarters of The Illuminati, from where they’re co-ordinating their plans for world domination!

Or it could be a poorly maintained property?

• Like 1

I've often noticed that a regular Google search gives precedence to businesses that are in my area (e.g., if I look for orthopedic surgeons or places to buy athletic equipment, the ones in Indianapolis will be right at the top of the list), not even c ounting the actual ads that come up ahead of the search results.  Google also pretty clearly sells privileged treatment -- it's especially noticeable on their maps, where certain businesses (and not necessarily the biggest or most famous ones) will be marked even on a wide-view map, and then more and more businesses are shown as you zoom in.  Some businesses (even fairly prominent ones) are never shown, even at maximum zoom.

Also note that a Google Maps search doesn't *just* bring up addresses.  You can also search on the name of a business, and I think that's what is happening here.  Herlock's search brings up that agency and our search does not, simply because he lives much closer to it than we do.  And the other reason it comes up is that the agency has clearly paid for the privilege -- note that they are labeled on the map after only one zoom.  It's listed as "221B Baker Street Agency," and after that, "Private Investigator" but when I search on

"221B Baker Street Agency" "high street" haringey

... I come up with absolutely nothing.  One of the Google Maps reviews says it's a fake, which may well be the case -- just somebody having a little expensive fun.  If it were a legitimate but defunct business, surely there would be some traces left on the internet.

Your explanations are more fun, though!

• Like 1

Maybe it is a detective agency that requires the client to have tiny bit of detective skills to find them?

That fits our Sherlock imo, doesn't he always complain that many clients come with uninteresting cases that are too easy to solve? :p That is his way to filter them?

• Like 2

The code is real and it's actually older than cable equipment and maybe even lamp posts :D. I would be alarmed if I found any of strange signs around my house.

It's better safe than sorry, I would erase strange signs as well.

That reminds me that my parents, who travel often, recognize that if they find chalk mark on the luggage, it would be subjected to search, every time. So they always carry wet tissue and wipe them out if they find the signs on luggage after flights. It could be a line, a small cross in visible spot but easy to dismiss as just some dirt or uneven color.

...I was sitting outside Speedy’s having a coffee when i saw a guy standing patiently behind some tourists taking photos of the door. I asked him ‘do you live there?’ He smiled and replied ‘yes but I’m not HIM!’

Oh dear, he must be a very patient guy. While I would love a chance to see those guys, I think privacy and sanity of not having random people crowding around my place outweigh that ten folds.
  • Like 1

But that one that remains is still looking damn similar. If it had a different colour and if the door knocker wasn't there, ppl would stop making photos. :D

Another thing: did I mention it before? Because it seems to be at least a hint (also re. our Bond discussion elsewhere)

tumblr_ozq5c6IPfr1vr11zdo1_1280.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M_(James_Bond)

big-grin.gif

• Like 1

But that one that remains is still looking damn similar. If it had a different colour and if the door knocker wasn't there, ppl would stop making photos. :D

You may have misunderstood me.  Last I heard, the Sherlock door has been there all the time since, I think, Series 2.  They used to switch, but that was a chore.  The "other" door is also black, but less distinctive.  Somewhere around here, I posted photos that Alex had taken of both doors, but Photobucket ate them.

• 2 weeks later...

Technically, Moriarty didn’t steal Crown Jewel. He just used it as a way to get Sherlock. Probably for taking selfie, if he still had his phone.

mor.jpg

But there was a man who did try to steal Crown Jewel, and almost succeeded.

Thomas ‘Colonel’ Blood, an Irishman, was born in 1618. He came to England and fought for Charles I but deserted the Royalist during English Civil War when it became apparent that the other side was going to win, a treachery that earned him large estate. However, following King Charles II’s restoration to the crown, he was later deprived from his land and fled back to Ireland. He became conspirator, participated in schemes to assassinate the king, led attack in failed coup on Ireland’s Dublin Castle, became mastermind the kidnapping of Duke of Ormonde, former lord lieutenant of Ireland. After the plan failed, he went into hiding. He made another attempt of kidnapping and assassination of  Ormonde and within six months of the failed plan, hatched a masterplan to steal the Crown Jewel.

It was a no rush :P plan. First, he appeared as just a visitor with someone he hired to act as his wife while disguised himself as a clergyman. The wife faked an illness, and the Crown’s keeper Talbot Edward invited her to his home, on the floor above, to recover. The couple  were grateful and days later they returned with gifts as thank you gratitude.

In few weeks, the couple formed friendship with Edward and his wife; they became frequent visitors to their home, to the point that they suggested their nephew as the match of Edward’s daughter, which was warmly welcomed. Blood promised to introduce the nephew.

And he did.  He brought the ‘nephew’, and two other associates for visit, each armed with weapons concealed underneath their clothes. Blood casually suggested to look at the crown. Edward trusted his friend and happily brought them, but as soon as he locked the door, they gagged him, and Blood covered his head with a shack, bludgeoned and stabbed to subdue him.

A012007.jpg

M400606.jpg

The group then tried to conceal the crown jewel and accessories, cutting in half, stuffing and flattening the goods to fit them into their clothes. The thieves were forced to flee when Edward’s son unexpectedly returned home and was looking for his father. Edward also slipped off from his gag and raised alarm. The made a mad dash to the gate but pursued and caught, although they didn’t go down without fights.

Blood only wanted to answer to King Charless II and surprisingly granted audience. After confessing to the King, and apparently, somehow managed to charm and impress the king, he was freed and even granted estate in Ireland worth 500 pounds a year, while Edward’s family was only granted less than that, but he recovered to tell the tales to visitors.

The actual reason of his pardon is never known, but there are lots of speculation including political reasons, personality or even economical reason and conspiracy.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I was unsure where to post any Sherlock-related to news so feel free to move this post guys.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/sherlock/news/a849836/sherlock-mary-morstan-named-best-female-tv-character-new-poll/

3 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

I was unsure where to post any Sherlock-related to news so feel free to move this post guys.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/sherlock/news/a849836/sherlock-mary-morstan-named-best-female-tv-character-new-poll/

A direct quote from this article says: "And, to little surprise, Amanda Abbington's super spy Mary Morstan came in first in the poll."

(The poll was international.)

Um . . *I* at least will cop to being surprised.  Very.  Anybody else?

My feelings about Mary are complicated.  When she was introduced as a (seemingly) fresh, charming, benign companion for our bereaved Dr. Watson, I was like, "Aww . . they are so cute."  Mary Morstan is, after all, the love of JHW's life.  Despite another (or a couple other) wives and the passage of time, since 1888 it has always, ever, been Mary for John. 

Knowing that Amanda was Martin's real-life domestic partner was just icing on the cake . . but that relationship hit all the right notes . .at first.  Mary was the ideal wife:  Kind, competent, cute . . and a man's woman in the best possible way, ie. actively encouraging her hubby to retain his relationship and all his doings with his best mate.

Then came the revelations about Cold-Blooded Ninja Assassin Mary . . who coolly put a bullet into her husband's best friend and then threatened him while he was in the hospital, and the good feelings about Mary curdled more than a bit.  For which I absolutely do not blame Amanda Abbington.  Mary could have been both more . .and less . . than she was as devised by Mofftiss.

For a supporting character who her creators underused and then preceded to kill off after just six appearances (counting TAB and The Return of Ghost Mary in TDD) . . Mary has triumphed in this poll.  Only, on my side of the Pond, I feel the reception was quite a bit less enthusiastic.  Various fan boards and YouTube commentators et. al didn't mince words.  "Die, *itch, die!" and "I hate Mary" were common sentiments. Even before she shot Sherlock, there was a rabid anti-Mary backlash.  Like Yoko Ono, she was hated for breaking up one of the world's enduring creative partnerships.  Even friendly, good, benign Mary was a presence that interfered with the 221B bromance and a lot of the viewers that I heard from despised her for it.  I suppose the original Mary Morstan had her detractors as well.  Even if you love Mary and her influence in John's life . . . after Watson decamped Baker Street for marriage, the dynamic duo was never quite the same or quite as good as they were in the first part of their association, pre-Mary.

Like Irene, Mary is a polarizing figure; people seem to love her or hate her.  The respondents of the Digital Spy poll overwhelmingly love her.   I didn't realize that she had so many fans.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hikari said:

A direct quote from this article says: "And, to little surprise, Amanda Abbington's super spy Mary Morstan came in first in the poll."

(The poll was international.)

Um . . *I* at least will cop to being surprised.  Very.  Anybody else?

My feelings about Mary are complicated.  When she was introduced as a (seemingly) fresh, charming, benign companion for our bereaved Dr. Watson, I was like, "Aww . . they are so cute."  Mary Morstan is, after all, the love of JHW's life.  Despite another (or a couple other) wives and the passage of time, since 1888 it has always, ever, been Mary for John. 

Knowing that Amanda was Martin's real-life domestic partner was just icing on the cake . . but that relationship hit all the right notes . .at first.  Mary was the ideal wife:  Kind, competent, cute . . and a man's woman in the best possible way, ie. actively encouraging her hubby to retain his relationship and all his doings with his best mate.

Then came the revelations about Cold-Blooded Ninja Assassin Mary . . who coolly put a bullet into her husband's best friend and then threatened him while he was in the hospital, and the good feelings about Mary curdled more than a bit.  For which I absolutely do not blame Amanda Abbington.  Mary could have been both more . .and less . . than she was as devised by Mofftiss.

For a supporting character who her creators underused and then preceded to kill off after just six appearances (counting TAB and The Return of Ghost Mary in TDD) . . Mary has triumphed in this poll.  Only, on my side of the Pond, I feel the reception was quite a bit less enthusiastic.  Various fan boards and YouTube commentators et. al didn't mince words.  "Die, *itch, die!" and "I hate Mary" were common sentiments. Even before she shot Sherlock, there was a rabid anti-Mary backlash.  Like Yoko Ono, she was hated for breaking up one of the world's enduring creative partnerships.  Even friendly, good, benign Mary was a presence that interfered with the 221B bromance and a lot of the viewers that I heard from despised her for it.  I suppose the original Mary Morstan had her detractors as well.  Even if you love Mary and her influence in John's life . . . after Watson decamped Baker Street for marriage, the dynamic duo was never quite the same or quite as good as they were in the first part of their association, pre-Mary.

Like Irene, Mary is a polarizing figure; people seem to love her or hate her.  The respondents of the Digital Spy poll overwhelmingly love her.   I didn't realize that she had so many fans.

I was surprised too (not Molly?) but who knows who was actually doing the voting. But whenever I see something like that, I always remember reading this somewhere; someone referred to the opinions seen on Tumbler, and Moffat replied something like "Eh, Tumblr is not the fandom." And I suspect he is right.

I also remember something that was said here on the forum (by Caya, I think, or maybe Toby?) ... a fandom seems a lot bigger from the inside than it appears from the outside. In other words, we the hardcore fans may think we're a huge bloc of like-minded believers, but the reality is, there's not that many of us compared to the population as a whole. Most people who like the show think very little about it, I suspect. They'll watch it once with half their attention, enjoy whatever they get out of it, and move on. So maybe amongst those kind of viewers, Mary made a more positive impression? Who knows.

• Like 2

Well, for one thing, they weren't rating Mary against all other Sherlock characters, she was up against other female British television characters.  And for another, I have a strong suspicion that the "die, b*tch, die" crowd is the usual vocal minority that gets everyone's attention.

I think Mary was a good character, or perhaps more accurately, she was *two* good characters.  I do wish they had let her make good her escape.  (That was so damned male-chauvinistic of John and Sherlock, assuming that she couldn't possible be safe without their help -- and meanwhile Sherlock blabs her current identity and general whereabouts to a man who wants to kill her.)

That article linked to another, which had this quote from Steven Moffat:

"I could see us making more Sherlocks.  I could see us making Sherlocks way in the future.

"It's not the kind of show that has to come back all the time. It can revisit. Every time Sherlock comes back, it's a reunion show."

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Somehow I missed a couple of last posts. :blink: There is a glitch in the matrix!!

Anyway, haven't watched Captain America Winter Soldier, but found this small little fun fact.

He has a list of thing to do/to learn, and apparently watching Sherlock is on top of his list! Welllll, at least in British version :)

a.jpg

Below is the original version:

b.jpg

• Like 2

I've gotten a crick in my neck from trying to compare the two lists, so here they are side by side (only four items differ, marked below by *):

American . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . British

*I Love Lucy ([something]). . . Sherlock (apparently, followed by some other notation)

Moon Landing . . . . . . . . . . . . Moon Landing

*Berlin Wall (Up & Down) . . . . The Beatles

*Steve Jobs (Apple) . . . . . . . . World Cup Final (1966)

*Disco . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Sean Connery

Thai Food . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  That Food

Star Wars / Trek . . . . . . . . .  Star Wars / Trek

Nirvana (Band) . . . . . . . . . .  Nirvana (Band)

Rocky (Rocky II ?) . . . . . . . . Rocky (Rocky II ?)

Troubleman (Soundtrack) . Troubleman (Soundtrack)

• Thanks 1

It's amusing to me though, the type of stuff he wants to know.

Again, I'm not really sure about his timeline, from quick search, it seems like he was frozen around the forties and woke up in 2011.

But why would he particularly wants to know the World Cup Final of 1996, not others, and why Nirvana in both American and British list when Queen would be more reasonable choice.  And I would think Seinfeld would be more popular than I Love Lucy since they are both happened after he was frozen anyway. And why Sean Connery and not James Bond? By 2011 he is not that well-known anymore but the franchise lives on.

But then, this question is outside Sherlock realm :D

I'd guess that the '66 World Cup competition was particularly exciting / close ?

It's hard to compare across eras, but I'd say that I Love Lucy was at least as big as Seinfeld, in its day (remember, there were only three networks then).  Plus it's been around on reruns ever since, fifty or sixty years.  Though why one would actually *need* to be familiar with either one, I have no idea.  Ditto Sean Connery.  Ditto most of the things on the list, actually.

Was it supposed to be things that he would need to know in order to fit in (was he trying to pass for a current person of his physical age?), or was it things that he thought sounded interesting?  That would make a big difference.

I'm guessing (not having seen the movie) that the list was shown only briefly, rather than being a major plot point.  In which case it was probably not given much thought by the production team, just something they dashed off during a coffee break.  But that wouldn't stop me from wanting to analyze it.  :P

• Tongue 1