SPOILERS! Series 4 Setlock

Yea, if they have to put another Holmes sibling in there, I'd rather them be dead. I'm hoping though that the other one/Sherrinford thing is just a completely misleading ploy and actually means nothing like it seems.

The idea of father Holmes having an affair, I'm pretty sure that's just a fandom idea - I don't think Moftiss have ever mentioned it?

Yea, if they have to put another Holmes sibling in there, I'd rather them be dead. I'm hoping though that the other one/Sherrinford thing is just a completely misleading ploy and actually means nothing like it seems.

The idea of father Holmes having an affair, I'm pretty sure that's just a fandom idea - I don't think Moftiss have ever mentioned it?

Benedict almost spilled the beans on a possible future plot point during commentary for either TGG or ASIB if I remember the correct episode (not at my computer to check). The plot point seemed to imply the possibility that there was a possible affair or other indiscretion causing the lines that were spoken between Mycroft and Sherlock at the end of ASIP.

• Like 1

When asked to give their first lines Amanda definitely says Lady Smallwood.

• Like 1

Just want to say thanks everybody for all the posts and links. Don't know where I'd be without you all!

• Like 2

Yes, I heard that too.

• Like 1

The possible elder Holmes extra-marital affair was touched on by Benedict during the commentary in TGG. He has only been in two, after all: TGG and SIB. All the others are strictly the creators having fun, mostly at the fans' expense.

vid. latest comment by Mr Moffat about how the fan is so sure Sherlock survives S4!

• Like 1

Benedict almost spilled the beans on a possible future plot point during commentary for either TGG or ASIB if I remember the correct episode (not at my computer to check). The plot point seemed to imply the possibility that there was a possible affair or other indiscretion causing the lines that were spoken between Mycroft and Sherlock at the end of ASIP.

Well, Gatiss made reference to a possible indiscretion in the commentary on ASIP way back when.  So on that note, just found this fun little thing on Twitter....

https://twitter.com/BBCStore/status/757973920536334336

• Like 2

Oh lord, now even the BBC marketing division is tormenting us....

Just the fact that there's suddenly all these clues makes me think it ain't gonna happen..... why give it away after working so hard to keep it secret?

• Like 4

Okay, I've finally caught up on all the vids etc from Comic Con (thank you so much for posting those, everyone!) and I have to say ... I know even less about what's to come than I did before. :P

• Like 2

Oh lord, now even the BBC marketing division is tormenting us....

Just the fact that there's suddenly all these clues makes me think it ain't gonna happen..... why give it away after working so hard to keep it secret?

Yeah, I mean, that's why I don't think it could possibly be TH.  It's too much like fan pandering, and it would have been an easy red herring to drop; assuming TH was at SDCC anyway, it costs nothing to get a picture and make a baity little tweet.  And TH's profile goes up somewhat among Sherlockians, and the Sherlock production team doesn't have to pay to film an alternate scene or anything expensive as a way to mislead us.

The thing about "the other one" is that a third brother doesn't appear in ACD at all; IIRC, that was a Baring-Gould explanation for how two Victorian men from a landed family could both be pursuing their own careers without the elder one being tied somehow to the estate. There's literally nothing in ACD canon that would give them direction. And we know they love to play games with some of this peripheral stuff. 

Think about when they were filming TAB, and one of the photos that got such airplay among the fans was Molly in full Victorian garb (plus a parka and some Uggs) and her hair all up and proper making her way out of one building to wherever they were filming.  Everyone's like, "Oh, Molly's back, Molly's back!"  But, to the best of my recollection, we never saw her in that Victorian dress except under the secret society robes, which means that we saw the collar and cuffs; they really wanted us to fixate on feminine Victorian Molly so we would be surprised by cross-dressing Hooper. The photo wasn't a lie, but it was a misdirection.

I think this photo is the same thing; they know a certain segment of fans have wanted TH as "the other one," and it costs them nothing to get people talking that direction. That's why I doubt it.  But I also think there's a kernal of truth in there somewhere, which is why I postulated Mary-as-sister. But it sure doesn't have to be that; I'll bet if we think about it, we can come up with a dozen ways that that photo could technically be correct and still be misleading. 

• Like 5

I know even less about what's to come than I did before. :P

Mission accoplished, Mofftiss :D

Re the Dress - who knows, maybe there were scenes with Molly that were cut in the final version. Making such a gown only to have it covered by something else seems a bit expensive, until they had recycled this one from another show. :P

• Like 2

Just catching up on all the news and there is so much that I am nowhere near properly caught up.

I like Mary's new hair in the trailer (or maybe it's a wig?!)

The scene with Mycroft and Mrs. Hudson has me totally intrigued. I can't help but think that he wouldn't talk to her in depth unless he had something that he wanted, and if for example he is asking her to spy on Sherlock, to me that means there is something the matter with John or Mary, like others are guessing too.

I always wondered would they do some kind of kidnapping storyline, which to me would partly explain the 'it's not a game' and the fact Mary is so involved. I wonder will they leave things open ended and have the baby just disappear?

And then about Sherrinford- Gatiss is such a tease with his Hiddleston photo. I agree they want to throw us off what is really going on here. I doubt TH is in the show, but if he was, maybe he has some connection to Mary's past- even her own brother, or her ex husband (or current, if she never got around to the divorce in her previous identity). Mary as Sherlock's sister I don't buy, they just get on too well and that's not the Holmes way.

And when Sherlock looks upset- I think there are so many possibilities there- the most obvious to me is something happens to the baby (I think he would really be devastated, for John and for himself as he feels like part of John's family himself), next obvious is Mary, then possibly John, Molly, Mrs. Hudson... because Mycroft seems to be in evil mode in the trailer I'd place him about last, and then there are Sherlock's parents too, as an outside chance.

• Like 2

Nah, that's just another tease, if anything it makes me even more convinced (if that was possible) she's nothing to do with 'the other one.'

• Like 4

I definitely remember both Gatiss and Moffat talking to each other about Sherlock deducing that his father had had an affair (Sherlock as a child did this) and that had led to the break up or significant negative impact on their family life.  Pretty sure it was a video clip of the two of them saying these things to each other.  But they then both fully agreed that that was TOO specific.  They wanted to keep Sherlock's  family life/childhood only hinted at, not specified as to this or that thing in it.

As to the costumes they made that  glorious blue number for Mary, with the bird hat, all for a  1 second clip  of her  saying, " you can rely on me, Mr. Holmes"  AND they only shot her from the waist up . Molly's v ictorian dress was nothing compared to that blue one.... holy moly it seems no expense was spared on the Victorian costumes IMHO

Folks are saying they heard AA say that "Lady Smallwood" was her first line in the trailer... making it seem like  it is  SHE that LS is saying  "we brought you back to deal with this"  to.... interesting take IMHO....OMG I can hardly wait to see S4!!!

The standout bit in the trailer for me was Una's line.. . SO VENOMOUS!  and heretofore we've only seen her be the comic relief... Wow.  She was righteously mad at Mycroft and scared me !

• Like 3

Folks are saying they heard AA say that "Lady Smallwood" was her first line in the trailer... making it seem like  it is  SHE that LS is saying  "we brought you back to deal with this"  to....

Now I'm hopelessly confused, and I haven't even watched the ComicCon videos!

What exactly was the question Amanda was answering -- Mary's first line in the trailer?  If so, I don't understand why anyone would ask that, rather than just watching the trailer again....  :huh:   I have the feeling I'm / we're missing something here.

Well, folks, this just happened. Speculate at will:

https://twitter.com/CHIMPSINSOCKS/status/758277299003424768

So did this.

• Like 3

Radio Times is suggesting that Mary is leaving Sherlock, so some of bad stuff that happens in S4 may involve her :o:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-07-27/did-amanda-abbington-just-reveal-that-mary-is-leaving-sherlock

• Like 3

The thing is, it's like Moffat said, that no one knows anything so the Radio Times is just speculating as much as everyone else. Though I hope the bad stuff is involving her.  :evil:

The question was for them each to say their first line in the first episode. There seemed to be some confusion that it was just asking for the first line overall. After lots of whispering, Amanda whispers something about Lady Smallwood a bit too loud. I think she was answering the general first line rather than hers, and the first scene is prob LS talking to Sherlock. 

• Like 3

Personally, I have nothing against Ms Abington, and wish her continued success in her chosen career at least until she is as old as Maggie Smith or Tilda Swindon, but I DO wish her off the Sherlock world, one way or another. Did they actually name an episode Pink Amends? Risible, at best.

• Like 1

Radio Times is suggesting that Mary is leaving Sherlock....

Your post kinda threw me for a moment -- like, did you mean she was leaving John?  But you meant the show, not the character.  (With that sort of confusion being the down side of that highly-recognizable title!)

The question was for them each to say their first line in the first episode. There seemed to be some confusion that it was just asking for the first line overall. After lots of whispering, Amanda whispers something about Lady Smallwood a bit too loud. I think she was answering the general first line rather than hers, and the first scene is prob LS talking to Sherlock. 

Thanks!  So somebody's first line in S4E1 involves Lady Smallwood.  Though -- seeing as how the episodes are presumably not even in final form yet -- that would have to be based on the script.  But close enough!

• Like 2

So... That picture of Mary's ring... Does that mean we are going to learn about her past? That would be cool.

As for it being her final wrap: Maybe that's just because the show itself is ending? Or they at least don't know if / when it will continue.

• Like 1

... or, as Radio Times suggested, the word "golden" could be a reference to Mary's golden ring -- whatever that may imply.

• Like 1