Recently watched movies

Recently watched Boondock Saints!  Much funnier than I expected it to be!  Not that this is exactly a new movie, but new to me!

Bridget Jones' baby - 8/10

I watched it in English and, even if I didn't understand some parts of dialogues, I liked it and I had fun :D  I haven't seen the others "Bridget Jones", so I can't compare the new one with the older ones, but I can say It's worth watching it.

:lol: I love Bridget Jones. They called me Bridget Jones in high school. :D I didn't read the book until I was at uni, though, but when I did, I saw why. Minus the smoking, drinking and casual sex, yeah, that's me, pretty much. Especially that part about getting ready in the mornings... I love whom they cast to play her. She does such a marvelous job and she's absolutely perfect for the role. Only saw the first movie. I might skip the second one (didn't like the second book, either) and go straight to this one once it becomes available on DVD here. I am NOT watching it in German!

A Trip to the Moon (1902) 15 min.

8/10

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Trip_to_the_Moon

Supposedly one of the first motion pictures, this showed up on Netflix and was certainly worth the time.  Once you get past the utterly trippy Wizard of Oz-on-LSD feeling, it is surprising how much they got right about space travel, including a passenger capsule with a break-away propulsion system (a big cannon), and a reentry with an ocean splashdown.  I'd make fun of them restarting the passenger capsule on the moon-to-earth leg of the journey by dropping off a cliff and falling back to earth, except I just saw very much that trope with better science played out in Star Trek: Beyond.

• Like 1

Sully, 9/10, mostly for the always brilliant Tom Hanks but also for the theme of the importance of the human mind. Minus one point for lazily representing all government officials as mindlessly evil bureaucrats. Government employees rock!

• Like 1

You must have never tried to renew your driver's license in Indiana. Or Massachusetts. Or Iowa. Or New York. Or California. (Of course, the other 45 states may be fine.)

Okay, you got me there!!!!!!! :D

Maybe we'll just call the DMV the exception that proves the rule....

• Like 1

As my favorite English professor liked to point out, that old saying actually means that the exception *tests* the rule (i.e., all it takes to disprove a statement is one counterexample). In this saying, "prove" is being used in the same sense as in "proving ground."

Oh, sure, rain on my parade.... seriously, gov't employees get a bad rap, imo. Sure, some percentage of them are jerks, but some percentage of everyone are jerks. (Is jerks?)

(Looking at two moderators bickering about things you don't understand)

Something tells me this has something to do with hiatus of some show.

P.S. I was at ticketing counter for Sully last week but it was only available for premium/gold class and only left front row, so I bailed.

Watched Magnificent 7, good if you like western movie. Not good if you try to think too much. Entertaining, yes. 7/10

And thank you that there is no love story because the actress has zero chemistry with any male lead

• Like 1

@VBS -- Do you really want an explanation, or are you just wanting us to pipe down? ;)

In case it's the former, someone once complained to science-fiction writer Theodore Sturgeon that "90% of science fiction is crap." Sturgeon conceded that that was correct, then added that of course 90% of everything is crap.

• Like 2

Bahaha.. of course not. Not piping down, I enjoy fun bickering, how else are we going to survive?

And psst.. I actually have a bit of idea about what you guys are talking but just want to make sure because someday I'm too lazy to google.

I know Alf, but don't know enough that he likes cats that way. :p

Continue ladies. I just had encountered with gov employee because of tax stuffs, she is very very kind, but she keeps calling me back because she makes mistakes and mistakes again. It kind of driving me crazy too.

• Like 1

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.. 8/10

Hesitate at first, but I like it.

Tim Burton's, without regular Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham, but great with Eva Green and Asa Butterfield. Kid grows up so fast since Ender's Game.

Entertaining and beautiful.

And I knew I have seen that bee boy! In

Mr.Holmes. He would be happy to know.

Deepwater Horizon 7/10

I have my scepticism for movie based on true story when it's told from one side. I don't doubt the background corporate story but more on the heroism and romantism, hopeful that everything is accurate.

Having said that, I am amazed with most of the scenes and how they pulled it off.

Rewatch The Reader. 8/10

Almosy forget how much I like Raplh Fiennes.

• Like 1

Snowden 8.5/10.

First time I was aware about this

here, didn't know the movie is out.

Imho, it's great story telling and pace for this kind of genre. And the reality of it, argh.. I consider this as happy ending compared to others like Thomas Drake and John Crane.

Snowpiercer - 9/10

A metaphorical masterpiece with a great performance by Chris Evans (Cap. America). Watch it. It's really great.

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - 8/10

A really crazy adaptation of a Canadian comic or so from the man who made Shawn of the dead, Hot Fuzz etc. Freaking Crazy movie.

Swiss Army Man - 7/10

Daniel Radcliffe as a farting corpse and Paul Dano as a man who got stranded on a beach. This movie is hilarious at times but offers also some serious drama and some deeper philosophical stuff. It's different and probably not for everyone.

There will be blood - 8/10

A long movie, maybe a bit too long, with a great story of the rise and downfall of Daniel an oil man and a seriously absolutely outstanding academy award winning performance by Daniel Day-Lewis. Paul Dano again, also giving a great performance.

Strangers on a train - 8/10

Another Hitchcock. Great movie by the master of suspense.

"Everyone has somebody that they want to put out of the way."

Ms Peregrins home for peculiar children 9/10

and I got now tickets already for Dr.Strange on 26th Oct. and Fantastic beasts on 16th Nov.  :popcorn:  :applause:

• Like 1

Sherlock Holmes (2009) - 6/10

Well, I saw this movie years ago and didn't like it very much back then. I decided to give it a second chance and I have to admit that I still don't like it (no offense if some of you here are fans).

In my opinion it was too violent and "vivid" for a Sherlock story. Don't really know what was wrong, but I think the amount of violence is the main problem.

I know, it doesn't quite do it for me either. Tries too hard, or something.

I know, it doesn't quite do it for me either. Tries too hard, or something.

Yup, that's exactly what I meant. They tried to create something new to the Sherlock franchise, but ended up trying to be too cool or something like that. In BBC's version they also tried something new, but in my opinion it worked really well and was something fresh and clever. Also, BBC Sherlock was more sophisticated with it's mind games and stuff, which I prefer to action and cool things.

• Like 1

I've seen where the RDJ version is referred to as an "action hero", and I think that's where it goes wrong for me ... we have enough of those. I'm more interested in deductions than fist fights. That's why I get twitchy when "our" Sherlock and John start solving problems with violence instead of smarts ... but hopefully there won't be too much of that this time around. (We already know there's some of it, though. Hope it's brief...)

• Like 1

Lord of The Rings, The Return Of The King -  9/10

This is where my LoTR fandom begun this summer, before I even read the book. Now I wanted to rewatch the movie version and compare it to the book (I know it's stupid to compare movie to the book, but I still like to do that, lol).

Well, we all know that these are very well done movies and epic fantasy stories. I don't actually know why TROTK is my favourite, I just tend to like the last story of trilogies.

I saw The Girl With All The Gifts last week. Anyone seen that? I was very disappointed :( 4/10. 

It's a British zombie film set in London, with Gemma Arterton and Glenn Close. Based on a bestseller, but I don't think it had a wide release.