Recently watched movies

Split in two posts because I thought my format went haywire after I pasted my older post. It looks okay thankfully.

So I went to watch Jurassic Park last night. Same with you Artemis, I like the original first movie, second not much, third is okay. I think the first Jurrasic World is okay except for some very ridiculous scenes. Anyway, at the very least, I still hope to be entertained and curious to know how would they pick it up from the first one.

Hmmm...have to say I had quite a lot of eye rolling, it didn't help that my neighbor seat smuggled a garlic smelling chip (I deduce she definitely had concave butt)  and kept playing with her phone that I was at the verge of smashing her phone or growled at her to leave the cinema now if chatting is so precious in Smaug voice. Yah, I know she was chatting, in those mindless social media because that was the only thing lighted up beside the screen, probably posting spoiler to her online friends. One of these days, I shall write things that bother me at airport and cinema to complete my holy journey to be a grumpy crazy person. Hmpph.

Anyway, not sure if these deserve spoiler box, but I'll put it in there. I give it 6/10 (to be revised)

Rant warning. 

(P.S. Another boring problem. No matter how I edit, I can't get the last sentence out of my spoiler box. Sentences after rant end should be out but I can't edit it anymore) ☹️

I feel this installment is cheesier than usual. Yes, they manage to avoid mushy mushy romantic stuff which I appreciate, but there are things that I can't help not to roll my eyes. My problem with this movie is they have all the recipes for the cliche' that worked in the past (but not anymore! at least to me!). I'll put it in points because I can't really explain it well.

Since the beginning, I didn't have good feeling for the trailer. Notice the over the top music that doesn't really blend well with the scene way too many times.

- Story idea, it's okay. At least they try to be creative. But a lot of things don't make sense, half baked and eventually we go back to cliche'. Nothing you haven't seen from the other Jurrasic movie. 

- Sadistic one dimensional villains, check.

- greedy corporation, check.

- heroes with nine lives, check.

- stupid underwater scenes, well, this is new. But check!! Holy smoke, everyone has the ability of very well established free divers. Magical!!! Gasp! I saw the back of my head because of extreme eye rolling. Only have normal ability to hold breath? Only losers do that.

- Cheesy music, this is cringing, noticeable especially on the last part, with the vampire-esque or is it frankenstein-esque scene.

- above mentioned frigging vampire-esque

- and well, apparently that very secretive classified super high risk 'rescue' operation doesn't have proper SOP! Head count, truck count, everyone with their own station, clear identification. NOOOO! Those are for losers.

- and no attention and security given for apparently the most precious catch of all, Blue. 

- and no need to check and be assured that these dinosaurs have proper sedations. Those are, for losers!

- building cabin on his own? Good god! Unless you are Superman (he is not), I don't think even Star Lord would be able to build cabin by himself. Seriously??? Argh. Don't be that ridiculous and try to insert the character's masculinity, at the very least, make it believable. 

- who guessed that Blue would save the day, at the right time and the right place? Who guessed that everything would be in place to have final dinosaur baddie to die nicely. No pies for you because it's no shit, Sherlock.

Okay, I think I stop and end this with two last things that annoy me the most:

1.The so-called vet/paleon something or whatever she calls herself. Anyway, she is supposed to be the person who has the ability to take care of dinosaur, cure them, treat them, and she is the employee of whatever organisation that is headed by the main character, who was in very established position in dinosaur park in the first movie. The bloody park had been opened for a while because the main plot of that movie is creation of new creature to add variation. A park that was OPEN for public and definitely needed a lot of skilled people. Okay, okay.

Then what happened when they went to the island? This vet jumped out from the vehicle in dinosaur infested island and was mesmerized by the Brontosaurus and commented something along the side that she finally sees it. HOW ON EARTH THAT SHE HAD NEVER SEEN IT??? SHE IS THE EXPERT IN DINOSAUR, IT'S BASICALLY A PUBLIC ZOO, SHE HAS RELATIONSHIP WITH FORMER HIGH PLAYER!! Huff... huff.. this is not good for my blood pressure. I supposed they are trying to replicate the original Laura Dern's reaction to the Brontosaurus. It works very well that time. This time is bull crap.

2. THOSE STUPID PTERODACTYLS!! And many other dinosaurs!

So you are saying, in the island that was about to explode, these flying thingy just chilled out until the last moment??? OKAY I GOT IT THAT THEY THINK IT"S COOL TO HAVE THE COMBINATION OF FLYING STUFF DURING THE RUNNING MAYHEM BUT THEY HAVE WINGS AND WOULD ALREADY LEFT LOOOOONG LOOOOONG TIME AGO.

I stayed in a place with threat of volcano eruption before, one of the very first indication, guess what, animals! They are way smarter than us. See what happened in Titanic movie when the ship started to have problem? Rats.

COME ON! Don't tell me these dinosaurs are so dumb that they deserve to go extinct. Huh. Same thing with another cliche' of character being harassed by dinosaurs during this mayhem and then being saved by bigger one biting that dinosaur. Ops, that's the back of my head again. I DON'T THINK THEY DO THAT! The first instinct of animal is survival, and that is running away from the disaster (which they should do much much earlier), not picking a fight with the characters or other dinosaurs. GEEZ! 

Rant end.

Well, after all the rant, I lower the score to 5/10. They should have learned!

Anyway, whatever scenes they try to recreate, to me, they feel very forced and fall flat. Easter Egg, tribute to the earlier movie, nyah nyah nyah, there are good and bad ways to do it, and almost all in this installment is bad. (They did it quite well the first time)

26 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

... no matter how I edit, I can't get the last sentence out of my spoiler box. Sentences after rant end should be out but I can't edit it anymore) ☹️

Yup, I sometimes have the same problem with quotes, and haven't yet found any way to fix them.  (I miss plain-text mode!)

If you happen to think of it when you're writing the post, though, I think it helps to double-space after the quote (or presumably the spoiler) before you type your other stuff.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Yup, I sometimes have the same problem with quotes, and haven't yet found any way to fix them.  (I miss plain-text mode!)

^ Ditto!  Could plain-text mode be reimplemented?  I'm having trouble with posts containing quotes and spoilers as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

That was the review I wrote back then and tbh, still feel the same and apparently everyone else loves it.

I feel ya there; I've hated things that everyone else seems to love, and vice-versa.  As for "Black Panther", I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sittything said:

I think? the last movie I saw in the theater was Avengers: Infinity War, which was rather disappointing as the only character I truly care about is Loki.

That was disappointing, I'd hoped to see more of him.  :(

• Like 1

I had no desire to see the Jurassic movie, but after that review, VBS, I really want to! I'm in the mood for something really awful that I can pick apart. 😁

OMG!!!! Gang, trying typing :sm   and see what happens!

:an

:be

Cool! I think. Or maybe just confusing?

what what??

I tried :sm it gave me short cut to emoji that seems to contain sm in their code, but then they disappeared as fast as they appear. Now :sm :sm :sm they refuse to repeat what they showed me.

Glad to know that you feel like watching it! XD I do understand why it appeals to lots of audience though, and it has decent quality in term of presentation, and it could be enjoyable if you treat it just like another popcorn movie.

Having said all those crap above, I'd still catch the third movie, because I'm curious how they could save it and probably make it as good as the original given the premise (it's totally savable) or mess it up badly that it'll become as just another freak, monster movie. All I wish (not all, I lie) is that they dedicate more time to filter the rubbish, actually do sensible research about animal behavior (which should be a big factor in the third installment) and stop repeating the scenes of the classic for the sake of trying to imitate it. I actually like where they leave it but as above, they could screw it far more easily than save it.  Anwyay @Arcadia, you'll be pleased to know that you are being mentioned in the movie. :) It comes up very obviously at least twice!

@Artemis, I also find it often that I hate things that people love. Sometimes it's the overwhelming reaction and praise that elevate my expectation way too much that make it fails miserably. Avatar is one of the example. I had heard too much good thing that when I watch it, errrrr, yes? Okay it looks colorful, but...?? As for the CGI that is wildly praised, I'd say CGI in FInding Dory short stories is way better (although it's done later). I mean, it is easier to create those whimsical colors in CGI than realistic ones, so  I was not impressed with that as well.

However, for the Black Panther, I caught it without reading and hearing anything about it except seeing the trailer once, and I don't find the the trailer interesting as well. It just happened that we wanted to watch a movie to kill some time and thought at the very least, Marvel should be worth the time. But noooooo..... *dodge tomato*

What does :sm :an :be do?  I see nothing.

4 hours ago, Artemis said:

Could plain-text mode be reimplemented?  I'm having trouble with posts containing quotes and spoilers as well.

I'll see what Tim says.  (Keep your fingers crossed.)

• Thanks 2

On 2/21/2018 at 9:45 PM, Fantasy Lover said:
Tbh I kept my expectations low because everyone kept going on and on about how great it's going to be and I just wasn't so sure about that, and despite my low expectations I was still disappointed. It was so stereotypical: the costumes, the chanting, the drums, the accents... can we not do this please? Basically:f1d21e98b15fa609d6f031366efcd475.jpg     

@VBS this was my review of black panther and as you can see I didn't like it either. Also, I watched Jurassic world 2, ocean's 8 and I'm going to see incredibles 2 next week and here are my reviews:  

Jurassic world: 7/10

I wasn't sure if would like it: the trailer looked so dark and foreboding, but in the end my curiosity peeked and I saw it. While it's dark, it's not dense. It's not like the emotional gutpunch that was infinity war, it has some funny moments as well. It has some nods to the first movie which I appreciated.

Spoiler

The only thing that bugged me was the discussion about whether or not dinosaurs deserve the same protection as endangered species and therefore deserved to be rescued from an island with an active volcano, but I guess we needed some conflict .

As for ocean's 8: it's a 5/10

I didn't want to see the movie at first, but I had promised my mom I'd go with her. 

Spoiler

It's basically the same plot as ocean's eleven: a person gets out of prison, gets in touch with an old friend, then gathers a group of people to plan a heist and then said old friend finds out that it's actually a revenge mission against an ex .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I watched "Logan" last night, and zooks was it depressing.  Won't be watching it again any time soon,

Spoiler

I've seen enough of my favorite characters die lately.

(^ Meaning, specifically, Professor X, but yeah, Logan dies too.  And all the other remaining X-Men (of which there was only 1 besides Logan and Xavier, because mutants had been sterilized and killed off).  And a bunch of nice people, like Laura's "mother", and that horse guy and his entire family.  And most of the genetically engineered mutant children.  And pretty much everyone in the movie, basically.  Also, Professor X has some kind of degenerative brain disease, and Logan is slowly dying.  Also, kids are tortured and treated like animals and stuff.  Good times.  Why was this critically acclaimed as 'the best superhero movie ever', again?)

I suppose it is more realistic and deals with real struggles that almost everyone can relate to. And I think it's gives something different than usual formidable superheroes and more into less glorious side of it. 

That's what I've heard; but personally I don't think "different" or "realistic" necessarily mean "better", and I don't think a story has to be realistic to be relatable.  I've seen far more fantastical settings where characters have struggles that are just as real and relatable to me.

But, that's just me.  I rail against the notion film critics seem to have that something needs to be dismal and/or include character deaths in order to be considered realistic, artistic, classic, praiseworthy, or "the best".

• Like 2

Different strokes for different folks.  :happy:

(By the way I didn't think it was not good, just super depressing; and I personally wouldn't call it 'the best superhero movie of all time'.)

Who said that?

I wouldn't say it's best superhero of all time. I think it's good, but it's not my favorite also. Not sure it's even in my top five superhero movie.

To me, the best is still The Dark Knight, I have many favorite scenes and even kept the soundtrack back then. Batman Begins and the less of the trilogy, Rises, I think I even put Ironman 1 on top of Logan and also Infinity Wars. I also enjoy Dr.Strange more, this is quite subjective because I can't resist two of my favorite actors play both hero and baddies. :p

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Who said that?

I don't know who specifically, just "critics", whoever they are, lol.  Google renders a multitude of examples, like this one: " Why critics are calling 'Logan' the 'best superhero movie ever' ".  It's somewhere on the Wikipedia page too, I think, and I've heard it on TV.

"Captain America: The Winter Soldier" is highly acclaimed as well, and I've often seen it quoted by critics as the best movie of the MCU.  But for me it was one of the duller superhero films, and not one I rewatch often.

Anyway, I don't believe any one movie is deserving of such a title, but there are plenty of contenders!  I agree about "The Dark Knight" trilogy, that one's high on my list too.  I have a lot of favorites though, lol.

I'd say it's definitely one of my fave superhero movies, is a contender for the top spot. Actually I think it probably is the top spot, I'm not sure anything else comes close.

Ha, and I never liked Batman, or Batman movies much. 😆

I think I should give Atomic Blonde another go. I wasn't that impressed by it in the cinema, but there are loads of things I've hated on a first watch and loved the second time around. It definitely looks good, very slick, and I want all her outfits. The the fight scenes are incredibly brutal which I would imagine would put a lot of people off. It's refreshing to have someone who's been in a fight look like they've been in a fight. For anyone who loves behind the scenes stuff as much as I do here's the stunt guy talking about the fight scenes. I love the detail of the little bombs on the glass tables.  

13 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

Ha, and I never liked Batman, or Batman movies much. 😆

I'm rather ambivalent about Batman in general, as a character, and I don't care for any of the other "Batman" movies.  But I do like "The Dark Knight" trilogy a lot.

I didn't like "Frozen" the first time I saw it, and people kept telling me I would like it if I watched it again.  I've now seen it 4 times and I still don't like it, lol.

Trying to think of a movie that grew on me... I know there has been one or two.

I'm convinced Frozen is the devil's film. It has to be one of the most annoying, overhyped things I've ever seen. 

I hated Sin City first time around, it's one of my favourite films now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Talking about Christian Bale, I have bouts of being overly emotional from time to time (though NEVER in company), and I was watching clips of Welsh Songs the other day and came across this clip of a very young Christian Bale singinga Welsh lullaby. Did make me a smidge sniffly. 

Bit different to Batman!

• Like 2

I love behind the scene stuff and am saddened that I don’t have the adapter for my headphones with (didn’t realize the 2 parts were disconnected) so I can’t listen to it (at a coffee shop). sad.png with that said, I do believe that stunt coordinator worked on Middle-Earth at least the second set if not both.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 3:34 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

what what??

I tried :sm it gave me short cut to emoji that seems to contain sm in their code, but then they disappeared as fast as they appear. Now :sm :sm :sm they refuse to repeat what they showed me.

Glad to know that you feel like watching it! XD I do understand why it appeals to lots of audience though, and it has decent quality in term of presentation, and it could be enjoyable if you treat it just like another popcorn movie.

Having said all those crap above, I'd still catch the third movie, because I'm curious how they could save it and probably make it as good as the original given the premise (it's totally savable) or mess it up badly that it'll become as just another freak, monster movie. All I wish (not all, I lie) is that they dedicate more time to filter the rubbish, actually do sensible research about animal behavior (which should be a big factor in the third installment) and stop repeating the scenes of the classic for the sake of trying to imitate it. I actually like where they leave it but as above, they could screw it far more easily than save it.  Anwyay @Arcadia, you'll be pleased to know that you are being mentioned in the movie. :) It comes up very obviously at least twice!

Eh, what!!??!!!? I didn't give them permission to do that!!! Ooooh, I'm going to sue and make LOTS of money...……….

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 3:44 AM, Artemis said:

What does :sm :an :be do?  I see nothing.

Phooey, it doesn't work for everyone apparently. :-(  When I type a : and 2 letters, I get a pop up box with all the emojis that contain those two letters. It doesn't have to be :sm, it could be almost anything. And oh man, look at that … now it doesn't work. :sm :ba :le Nope. Nuthin'.

Wait … I just remembered I'm on a different browser at the moment. *quick test* Okay, it's browser dependent. It works on Edge, but not in Explorer. Works in Chrome, too.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:14 AM, Artemis said:

I watched "Logan" last night, and zooks was it depressing.  Won't be watching it again any time soon,

Hide contents

I've seen enough of my favorite characters die lately.

(^ Meaning, specifically, Professor X, but yeah, Logan dies too.  And all the other remaining X-Men (of which there was only 1 besides Logan and Xavier, because mutants had been sterilized and killed off).  And a bunch of nice people, like Laura's "mother", and that horse guy and his entire family.  And most of the genetically engineered mutant children.  And pretty much everyone in the movie, basically.  Also, Professor X has some kind of degenerative brain disease, and Logan is slowly dying.  Also, kids are tortured and treated like animals and stuff.  Good times.  Why was this critically acclaimed as 'the best superhero movie ever', again?)

I never was a fan of Logan even in the comics. Those "morally grey" characters have never been as interesting to me as the ones who try to do right by others.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:53 AM, Artemis said:

That's what I've heard; but personally I don't think "different" or "realistic" necessarily mean "better", and I don't think a story has to be realistic to be relatable.  I've seen far more fantastical settings where characters have struggles that are just as real and relatable to me.

But, that's just me.  I rail against the notion film critics seem to have that something needs to be dismal and/or include character deaths in order to be considered realistic, artistic, classic, praiseworthy, or "the best".

Hear hear!!