Recently watched movies

On 6/22/2018 at 4:11 PM, Arcadia said:

When I type a : and 2 letters, I get a pop up box with all the emojis that contain those two letters.

Just tried that again (on my phone with Chrome), and noticed that it really is *all* the :sm emoties.  I was assuming it was just the "phone" ones, but the original forum ones are there as well.  This is a good way to find, say, all the cat emoties (just type :cat at any time within the reply box).  Cool.  I especially like that (unlike when texting) they can be expanded in the usual phone fashion, so that I can be sure I have the sort of thing I want.

I think this looks pretty good. Probably have some of the usual cliches but from time to time thats okay. 

And this, though I didn't like the books. 

Yes to the first, no to the second for me. That's the Dragon Tattoo girl, right? I didn't like the books much either.

Incredible 2 is fun, there are quite a lot of funny moments. Enjoyable watch, 7.8/8.  XD Love the raccoon of all things, and I always like Edna. He he he

On the other hand, Ocean 8 is a waste of money and time. It only cost me 5 bucks but I regret it. Actually was never a fan of the original trilogy, only watched the first one in cinema (which was entertaining enough). Anyway, bland bland bland, boring with not much payoff, draggy without depth, no chemistry, no originality, and despite the many high profile cast, it's blah. It's those copycat sequel that has nothing to add the its predecessor, or in this case, remake, or whatever.  But those are not the things that bother me the most, it is the plethora of imbecile people who are so frigging bad at their jobs and the horrible lack of research. It treats the audience as idiots who know nothing, at least that's how I feel. Gaping plot holes and ridiculous logic for so called three-years perfect plan and execution. Geez, don't get me start. It's not even entertaining unless you are into fashion or something.  Pffft.

5/10.

• Haha 1

I finally saw “Arrival”.
Ladies and gentlemen, I honestly believe that in Denis Villeneuve we have one of the best directors of our time.
This man is putting out amazing movie after amazing movie, and I’m still not over the fact that “Blade Runner 2049” was not nominated for ‘Best Picture’.

Not much to say about Arrival without spoiling it, so..

Arrival - 8/10

I’ve never seen any of the Hunger Game movies, until now that I watched all of them pretty much back to back.
Here are my ratings, which apparently go against the mainstream for some reason.

Hunger Games - 5/10

The thing that I hated the most in in the first movie, by far, was the directing, the editing, the look of the film. It didn’t flow well at all, everything was so choppy, and what the heck was all that shaky cam doing there? I hate shaky cam. Also they never used wide lenses to show the amazing set pieces they had available, they always used long lenses and that really threw me off.
This was wasted potential in my opinion, a good director could have done so much better, that’s why I was happy that they had gotten a new one for the rest of the series.

Hunger Games: Catching Fire - 6/10

This was better than the first for sure. No shaky cam anymore, you could actually see what was going on. Still nothing spectacular though.

Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part I - 5/10

I thought I liked this movie more than to give it a 5/10, but if you think about it, nothing really happens in this movie, nothing that justifies an over 2 hour runtime.

Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part II - 7/10

This is the best movie by far in the series, in my opinion. This is the movie, the only movie, that actually surprised me in a good way. I actually enjoyed this one. And that’s what I meant when I said that my ratings of these movies apparently go against the mainstream, because Part II is the lowest rated of the series, which I really don’t understand.
Things happen in this movie, a lot of things, there is plot in this, unlike the first part. And I guess some people say that as opposed to the first part, where there was only build up and no relief, that in this film there was only relief and no build up. And I can see that, having in mind that these movies came out one year apart from each other, but having them watched back to back, it didn’t bother me at all. Not in this one anyway.
Also, this film is BEAUTIFUL! I have to say that, because I so despise the directing and look of the very first film, and the choppiness etc. Mockingjay Part II shows the capital, it lets scenes breath, it doesn’t cut every 3 seconds, you have some longer takes, you have some wider lenses, and beautiful colors, all of which I think could have made ‘Hunger Games’ a much better movie.
I most loved the scenes where Jennifer Lawrence and her squad were invading the capital, running through the empty city and the sewer and all that. Although those weird creatures in the sewers didn’t at all fit the tone of the entire series.

I have no idea how many of you actually read what I write, but if you did, thank you for letting me waste your time.
Have a great day, and if you haven’t, watch Blade Runner 2049 and tell me it should have been nominated for Best Picture.

• Like 1

You know what was funny? There is a theory mentioned in the movie: the Saphir-Whorf Theory. I have read Whorf's book „Language, Thought and Reality“ and found his POV fascinating. One of his writings is here, and it's also about time perception: https://books.google.de/books?id=W2d1Q4el00QC&pg=PA57&hl=de&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=2#v=onepage&q&f=false

The movie was really well made, and even if the "science" was a bit stretched, I felt fine with it. :D

• Like 1

Er … which movie is that, JP? Blade Runner?

I liked the Hunger Games movies so little that I never bothered to see the other two, although I had a lot of respect for Jennifer Lawrence's performance. But the books didn't do much for me either; okay, but nothing to get excited about.

Incredibles 2 … wasn't as funny as I thought it was going to be. Edna was definitely the best thing about it. Okay movie, but I was in the mood for something less serious. The trailers for "Smallfoot" suited me better.

Ooooh, and there was a trailer for The Grinch, it looks brilliant! Although I still can't detect a whiff of Cumberbatch's voice, either someone's pulling a fast one or he's pulling off the best performance of his life. 😄

• Like 1

Ooooh, and there was a trailer for The Grinch, it looks brilliant! Although I still can't detect a whiff of Cumberbatch's voice, either someone's pulling a fast one or he's pulling off the best performance of his life.

He does a really good job at hiding who he is. The trailers that have been released online have shown that. I’ve listened carefully and there are super tiny bits where his voice comes through but not necessarily as a Brit.
  • Like 1

@grinch

Hang on.....

So this is a remake of a movie, that had existed in various forms before, starring Mr. Cumberbatch, but we can neiher see his face nor hear his voice. Tell me, why shpuld I watch this???!?? Hmmm?

Anyway, anyone encounters this?

https://s33.postimg.cc/4s6wi5lgf/Comb30062018012730.jpg

This is how the forum looks like to me now, didn't change anything, still default mobile version.

THR best is, I can't even see what I type. I can see or read your post if I highlight them, but it's tedious using phone. This forum really hates me eh??

Sorry for typos because I can't edit it. It'impossible to highlight and type at the same time!~%#$$&@%#le and it kicks me put every 5 seconds ^@%@%

I have to relog-in, fifth and counting in this fogging look but before I get to Reply button it logs me out.

Sorry guys, but F this!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

anyone encounters this?

The invisible text?  Yes, I just edited one of your earlier posts so I could read it.  If you're not trying to give your posts a custom.appearance, then I have no idea what's going on.  Ditto with the having to log back in.

Have you contacted Tim yet?  If you have the same problems doing private messages, just stay logged out and ... hang on, I need to log out a moment and see how the alternative works.

Added:. OK, while you're logged out, accept the cookies policy, then scroll down to the very bottom and click Contact Us.  You'll get a standard internet contact form.  Good luck!  I'll let Tim know to expect you.

• Thanks 1

VBS, I just edited more info into my previous post, but in case you're looking for a new post, here it is:

... while you're logged out, accept the cookies policy, then scroll down to the very bottom and click Contact Us.  You'll get a standard internet contact form.  Good luck!  I'll let Tim know to expect you.

7 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

@grinch

Hang on.....

So this is a remake of a movie, that had existed in various forms before, starring Mr. Cumberbatch, but we can neiher see his face nor hear his voice. Tell me, why shpuld I watch this???!?? Hmmm?

Because it looks to be hilarious!

Actually, it doesn't look like a remake, it looks like an origin story. Didn't know we needed one of those, but who cares … it looks to be hilarious! 

Sorry you're having so much trouble, VBS, we miss you around here. Well, I do, for some reason. :p 

• Like 1

The Grinch reminds me of a cross between the original cartoon from the 60s and the live action that starred Jim Carey. With probably some tweaks to the origins part seen in the live action.

Oh, right … I never saw the Jim Carrey version, so I wouldn't know. But I'm sure they had to flesh out the story.

• Like 1

I miss you too VBS, but that's horribly, uncomfortably close to sentiment so... er... *pelts with rotten vegetables*

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Oh, right … I never saw the Jim Carrey version, so I wouldn't know. But I'm sure they had to flesh out the story.

Personal opinion: you didn’t miss much as there were a scene or 2 that didn’t need to be in an otherwise family friendly movie.
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

First I've heard of it.

I was just looking at a list of fairly recent movies. Hadn't heard of a single one of them. I really must be getting old. ☹️

• Haha 1

I remember it coming out with Luke Evans pointing out in every interview that he actually does have fangs. I never saw the movie though. 

7 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I was just looking at a list of fairly recent movies. Hadn't heard of a single one of them. I really must be getting old. ☹️

How many of the faces can you identify on the magazines by the supermarket checkout line?  :P

I finally saw "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" and "The Wolverine".  Liked both a lot!  Poor Logan just keeps getting dumped on though.  Give the guy a break!  :(

Going to see "The Incredibles 2" tomorrow, we'll see how that is.