Recently watched movies

Hey I actually like Baby Driver, watched it before Kevin Spacey scandal though. I like the music and the way it plays into the movie, but I remember having some nitpicks back then although it's generally a thumbs up. 

Tomb Rider, never watched the new or original. I tried the game back then and ended up breaking all my bones or something trying to somersault, but I never pick up any liking to first person POV game, too nauseating for me.

Watched the Darkest Mind (6/10) when it came out.  Had to roll my eyes for the romance, although it's not so bad for young adult movie. Never read the book. But generally I think the idea is quite fun, although the way they  segregate the powers seems weird. How does the green know stuffs

when they are practically enslaved without access to knowledge? You don't pick up knowledge from thin air regardless how smart you are, unless you know hell lot of basics and put things together or exposed to the opportunity to experiment, which they don't.

• Like 1

I don't remember Tomb Raider ever being first person... the new ones aren't. I hate first person too, they confuse me too much, when you know you're getting attacked but can't figure out what's happening or who's attacking you. 

I thought Darkest Mind was the Churchill film, but I realise now I'm getting it mixed up with Darkest Hour!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

I thought Darkest Mind was the Churchill film, but I realise now I'm getting it mixed up with Darkest Hour!

It fooled me too. I missed the Darkest Hour when it was aired (although I only had slight interest to catch it) and thought okay, maybe I catch it this time when my brother asked me to tag along for movie. I was wondering as well because it doesn't seem like something his family would enjoy especially it was suggested by his teenagers and WAIT A MINUTE THIS IS DIFFERENT... but it's not as bad as I thought although I don't think I want to catch it on my own.

"Sherlock Holmes in Pursuit to Algiers".  I quite liked this one, I was fully engrossed, which isn't always the case.  But why do strange women keep calling Dr. Watson "Ducky"...?

Favorite moments:

"Fish and chips?  I never eat fish and chips.  My friend doesn't eat fish and chips.  We *loathe* fish and chips."
Watson really hates fish and chips.

"Fish and chips, filthy stuff.  I wish we'd brought our cat."
He really *really* hates fish and chips.  Also, Holmes and Watson have a cat.

"Hang it all, it may be a trap!"
"Well if it is, it promises to be an interesting one."

Holmes, ruining Watson's holidays to solve a case.

Holmes, shutting doors in people's faces in "Thank you for your input" fashion.

Holmes, faking his death.

Holmes, keeping Watson in the dark because he thinks Watson's "honest face" would give away his secret plan.

Holmes, nonchalantly breaking a villain's bones with the help of a window.

Holmes, warding off assassins before returning to his book, and never mentioning it to anyone.

Holmes, unconcerned by anyone's attempts to blow him up.

Coffee vs. Tea debate.

Professor Moriarty is a virtuoso on the bassoon.

The game metaphors go on and on.

The Giant Rat of Sumatra.

Holmes is the celery stalk, Watson is the cheese.

Paper hat bombs.

[Explosion]
Holmes: "That's curious."
[Walks away]

"No one could say it's not been an exciting trip."
"Yes, well, that was to be expected.  We should all have died of boredom if it hadn't been."

• Like 2

Watched LOGAN over the weekend.

Still not recovered.

Spoiler

Major Downer.  Avoid if you dislike grim dystopian 'Mad Max' style production design and/or the loss of several beloved characters will  make you cry.

My advice:  Stick with The Wolverine, also directed by James Mangold, for a much more life-affirming outing with everyone's favorite hairy Canadian.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, J.P. said:

Gosh, it was heartbreaking on so many levels.
One of them: Hugh being a year younger than me and looking so damn old and worn out. It's very strange, and I cannot even grasp it properly, but I have a tendency to feel a special connection with people of my age.

J.P.

To be fair, I think at least some of the haggardness displayed by Hugh was purposeful makeup effects.  He also played his 'younger clone' X-24, showing that he's still pretty d*mn fit for a 50-year-old guy.

Young Dafne Keen was well-cast as '

Spoiler

Wolverine-Girl Junior

I know, and Hugh actually looks fantastic in RL, but it's something that doesn't necessarily makes sense. In this case it made me also feel old and perishable. And Profesor Xavier made me think of my father (dementia and palsy after a stroke-that helplessness…)

The movie is very well done, and hardly a typical "superhero movie". I liked the girl too.

4 minutes ago, J.P. said:

I know, and Hugh actually looks fantastic in RL, but it's something that doesn't necessarily makes sense. In this case it made me also feel old and perishable. And Profesor Xavier made me think of my father (dementia and palsy after a stroke-that helplessness…)

The movie is very well done, and hardly a typical "superhero movie". I liked the girl too.

I visited Rotten Tomatoes to see what they had to say about it, because I'd heard mixed things.  To my surprise, it has something like a 94% Fresh rating.  I liked elements of it, my favorite part probably being where the Prof and young Laura watch Shane in the hotel room.  It started out very Mad Maxy mixed with Stephen Spielberg's 'Duel' only to turn very "Hook"-esque at the end there with the collective of young Lost Boy-n-Girl Colors of Benetton mutants.

Sir Patrick Stewart is like, 80 years old or close to it, and he was looking very frail here.  The scenes with Wolverine carrying him upstairs like a child really tugged at my heartstrings.  As did Logan calling Charles 'Dad' . . cover story . .or  . . truth?  Really, Charles Xavier is the only father Wolvie has known for at least some centuries.  I'm sure that it's kind of difficult, as a man, to have another man carting you around like a sack of potatoes . . but it just proves how strong HJ still is in his middle years.  I couldn't carry 160 or 170 pounds up a flight of stairs.  I doubt Sir Patrick weighs more than that these days.

I am still partial to The Wolverine (2013) which only had 69% Fresh.  I think that is underrated and this sequel is a tad overrated.

5 hours ago, Hikari said:

I am still partial to The Wolverine (2013) which only had 69% Fresh.  I think that is underrated and this sequel is a tad overrated.

I agree.

“102 Minutes That Changed America”.  I’ve seen it before... actually I end up watching it every year, even though every year I think I’m not going to watch any 9/11 things.  It’s just such an incredibly gripping documentary of this event.  Engrosses me every time.

I wonder if that's the doc I watched a while back. That was really well made but I can't remember what it was called. I'm trying to ease back from really grim documentaries, I've watched too many recently. I'll probably still end up watching some later though - I found the VICE youtube channel, and have come across a few good ones on there. 

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:57 AM, Artemis said:

“102 Minutes That Changed America”.  I’ve seen it before... actually I end up watching it every year, even though every year I think I’m not going to watch any 9/11 things.  It’s just such an incredibly gripping documentary of this event.  Captivates me every time.

Oh, I remember that. Harrowing.

My starkest memory of 9/11 is taking a walk the next day … and I gradually became aware there were no planes in the sky. Only time in my life there has been no planes in the sky. It was unsettling … yet also profoundly peaceful. I hate to say it, but I rather liked it.

It's one of those things everyone remembers where they were when it happened. I had no idea until the end of the day. Someone got stabbed in my school, and when I got home I said to my mother 'did you hear what happened?' meaning the stabbing, but she thought I was talking about the attack. I couldn't believe it when I saw the news. 

• Like 1

You know what, it's kind of embarrassing. When I heard the news, and saw the footage, my first thought was alien!??!?!?!?1

At that time, the concept of terrorism was not common and America was still the most dominant power, I also didn't follow news much. What crossed my mind at that split second was Who would dare to do this kind of attack in this modern day to the most powerful country in the world?

Alas, those of us who followed the news knew that terrorism was all too common in the world already. Although I think the worst attacks on American soil, up to that point, were "home-grown"?

I didn't hear about it until after the first 3 planes hit, so I rushed to turn on the TV to see what was going on. Tuned in just in time for a replay of the first hit, and I remember thinking "oh what a terrible accident." Then they showed the second plane hitting, and suddenly I knew with a cold certainty that we were under attack. It was the strangest feeling. One I hope to never feel again.

I was in class when it happened.  Without saying anything, my teacher turned on the news, but left the volume muted, and continued teaching.  I don't think the second tower had been hit yet at that point.  All I remember is glancing at the screen and seeing smoke streaming from one of the towers.  Nobody acted like it was a big deal; nobody was even watching.  I was focused on algebra.  When I got out of class, someone said, "Did you hear that the second tower fell?"  And my reaction was pretty much just, "Oh, really?"  I felt a little bad, later, about my initial reaction, which was mostly a mixture of confusion and apathy.  I've never been easily shocked or surprised by horrors and tragedies, for one thing; but the day it happened it seemed like I barely heard about it.  Neither of my parents mentioned it.  It wasn't until days later, when I learned more details and the death toll, that I started to realize what a big deal it was.

"Northanger Abbey" (2007), one of Jane Austen's.  I don't know if there are any other versions besides this one; it's not one of her most popular novels, though personally I like it very much.  JJ Feild is one of my favorite actors since I saw him in "Turn".

The film was unexpectedly cheeky for an Austen film, which took some getting used to; but once I adjusted my expectations, I enjoyed it very much.  :happy:

"At length, Ambrosio beheld Antonia's lovely form.  She was undressing to bathe herself, and the amorous monk had full opportunity to observe the voluptuous contours and admirable symmetry of her person as she drew off her last garment."  Admirable symmetry of her person, lol.  Early 19-century romance novels.  :P

P.S.  A tolerably large eating room is one of the necessaries of life.

"Sherlock Holmes and the Pearl of Death".  "Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson race an archcriminal to a big pearl hidden in one of six Napoleonic busts."  (Getting "Six Thatchers" vibes.)

I liked this one a lot!  Another engrossing film.  What I especially liked was that the dynamic between the characters was more reminiscent of the dynamic in "Sherlock".

Favorite moments:

Holmes making good use of his clergyman disguise.

Holmes: "Quick Watson, hide the pearl!"
Watson: [Puts it in his mouth]

"Electricity, the high priest of false security."

The guard saying "Stop, thief," with zero enthusiasm, like:
stop.gif

Holmes' showing off facilitates the theft of the pearl.  While everyone else jumps to rub it in Holmes' face, Watson jumps to his defense without a second thought.  No one discredits Holmes like that!

Violin by the fire.

Holmes deducing that Watson has been punching newspaper reporters on his behalf.

Lestrade: "No one's infalluable, you know."

Watson: "I'm hungry as a bee on a flower!"

Lestrade: [taking some of Holmes' breakfast]
Holmes [sarcastically]: "Have one, won't you?"

Holmes: "The woman's suffering from shock -- close to catalepsy, if you ask me."
Lestrade: "Well I ain't asking you, Mr. Holmes."
Holmes: "Naturally."

Watson keeps a scrapbook.

A knife-shooting dictionary.

SpiderWomanSHORTKNIFE.gif

Motherly Mrs. Hudson worries about Holmes not eating enough.

Watching Lestrade try to work out criminal psychology.

Holmes: "What an amusing statue.  Most amusing."
Watson: "Is it?  Why?"
Holmes: "Because I say it is.  Pretend to be interested."

Watson: "And the Borgia pearl is inside that bust?"
Holmes: "If it isn't, I shall retire to Sussex and keep bees."

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Artemis said:

"Sherlock Holmes and the Pearl of Death".  "Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson race an archcriminal to a big pearl hidden in one of six Napoleonic busts."  (Getting "Six Thatchers" vibes.)

The movie is presumably based on the Moftisses' inspiration for that episode, Conan Doyle's short story "The Six Napoleons."

5 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

The movie is presumably based on the Moftisses' inspiration for that episode, Conan Doyle's short story "The Six Napoleons."

I would think so.  :happy:

Mamma Mia 8/10

Man, this movie requires a lot of suspension of disbelief. From the fact that THREE adult men were willing to go to the wedding of the daughter of a woman they barely knew, to the moment they figured out Sofie could be their daughter and have absolutely NO PROBLEM with it. You'd think someone would at least ask a paternity test or refuse to have anything to do with it and get away from the island as soon as possible, but noooo. Oh, and Pierce Brosnan can NOT sing!

Mamma Mia here we go again 6/10

The movie had less famous ABBA songs, which I liked. They also did a good job at casting the younger version of the actors imo. And for some reason this movie is obsessed with giving everyone a love interest, the only person who is still single at the end of the movie is Harry. Besides that it was a pretty solid movie and a good sequel but it just didn't hold my interest. Oh, and we still don't know who the real father is of Sofie but if you have some basic knowledge of genetics you know who it is

Pan 4/10

So after Disney made the animated movie, the sequel where Peter Pan is an adult and the live action remake, Disney thought it would be a good idea to make yet another Peter Pan movie but this time it's a prequel and it's giant pile of manure. Spoilers/ranting below:

So the movie begins with the reveal that pirates steal children at night in the orphanage where Peter Pan lives, keep in mind that they kidnapped the children with a flying ship that somehow nobody notices and the movie takes place during the second world war. A FLYING SHIP! in the second world war!!!

And then they enter Neverland not by going in the direction of the second star to the right, but by leaving earth's atmosphere and somehow being able to live and breathe IN OUTER SPACE and then re entering earth. But then they find out the pirates who kidnapped them work for blackbeard and when they arrive the pirates are singing 'smells like teen spirit' which they somehow know despite the movie taking place IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR!!!

But then Peter meets a young Hook who help him escape and they meet Tiger Lilly who is white now and an adult solely so she and Hook could flirt. NO, REALLY! What also annoyed me was that Tinkerbell was barely in this movie. Urgh, just urgh.