Recently watched movies

1 hour ago, Fantasy Lover said:

... a flying ship that somehow nobody notices and the movie takes place during the second world war.

... by which time they actually HAD invented radar.  :huh:

• Like 1

"Sherlock Holmes and the Scarlet Claw".  "Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson solve village murders blamed on a monster in Canada."

I especially liked this one for its setting and ambience.  It had a supernatural tilt, similar to "Hounds", like a ghost story by the fire.

Favorite moments:

"Facts always convince me.  It's the conclusions drawn from facts that are frequently in error."

Watson yells at a man for hitting his daughter.  Probably would have punched the guy too, if Holmes hadn't stopped him.  Go Watson!

"I don't care two hoots whether it's hoot or honk."

Holmes takes care of an ill Watson.

"Now Watson, you stay here.  I have a mightily important job for you."
"Anything, Holmes.  What do you want me to do?"
"Go to bed."

"Take your assistant and get out!"
"I'm not his assistant."

"What happened to your assistant?"
"I'm not his assistant."

Watson: "I've got a right to share your dangers."

• Like 2

"Sherlock Holmes and the Spider Woman".  "Holmes poses as a foreigner to bait the woman behind the so-called 'pyjama suicides'."

There were a lot of good things about this film.  It was especially fun catching all the bits that were altered and used in scenes of "Sherlock", of which there were several (e.g. compelled suicides, 'Norbury', the old man patient who tries to sell John DVD's, Sherlock's return from the dead in disguise, later met with a punch in the face).  I also enjoyed the non-sexualized cat-and-mouse between Holmes and a smart female criminal.  But the sexism in this film... oh my.

Favorite moments:

"Don't be mendacious, Watson."

Holmes fakes his death... again.

Watson, Lestrade, and Mrs. Hudson, distraught over his death, reminisce together about Holmes in his "ratty old chair".

Watson calls the postman a worm and punches him in the face for calling Holmes "an old herring gut".  Surprise!  The postman is Holmes in disguise (of course).

"I expect nothing and everything."

Death by tarantula.

Watson plays the tuba.

Watson embarrassingly insults one of their clients, falsely assuming him to be Holmes in disguise again.  (Shoutout to a similar scene in "The Empty Hearse".)

"Mr. Ordway is... slightly eccentric.  But that shouldn't trouble *you*, Mr. Holmes."

Holmes excitedly hopping about the flat and tossing things to Watson.  The game's afoot!

Riddles and banter between Holmes and his quarry.

Holmes and Watson, saving each other's lives every ten minutes, lol.

"Watson, I've been blind!  A mole, an owl, a bat!"

"Watson, if you ever see me getting too cocksure again, fancying myself more clever than Adrea Spedding, just whisper one word to me: Pygmy!"

"What made you think I'd come here alone?"
"Your somewhat overdeveloped sense of drama, Mr. Holmes."

Watson: "He said wait here by the shooting gallery, and look inconspicuous."
Lestrade: [starts whistling, very conspicuously]
Watson: "He said inconspicuous, Lestrade, not half-witted."

A fiendish method of demise for Holmes, who makes an intelligent and lucky escape, of course.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Artemis said:

It was especially fun catching all the bits that were altered and used in scenes of "Sherlock", of which there were several (e.g. compelled suicides, 'Norbury', the old man patient who tries to sell John DVD's, Sherlock's return from the dead in disguise, later met with a punch in the face).  I also enjoyed the non-sexualized cat-and-mouse between Holmes and a smart female criminal.

Some of those (and also items from  your list below) are from Conan Doyle stories -- so who knows whether they copied the movie or the book -- or both?

Now I'm going to have to watch me some of those. The Scarlet Claw pops up in my YouTube suggestions a lot, perhaps I shall start with that. Later. :smile: 

• Like 1

Alex and I recently sent for the complete (mostly) remastered Rathbone-Bruce Holmes collection from Amazon, mostly out of curiosity.  Thanks to your reviews, Artemis, I'm now really looking forward to watching them!  :smile:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Some of those (and also items from  your list below) are from Conan Doyle stories -- so who knows whether they copied the movie or the book -- or both?

I had been under the impression that much of the material in the Rathbone films was adapted from the books, to begin with...  If such is the case, then I think you could probably say both?  :smile:

8 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Now I'm going to have to watch me some of those. The Scarlet Claw pops up in my YouTube suggestions a lot, perhaps I shall start with that. Later. :smile: 

5 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Alex and I recently sent for the complete (mostly) remastered Rathbone-Bruce Holmes collection from Amazon, mostly out of curiosity.  Thanks to your reviews, Artemis, I'm now really looking forward to watching them!  :smile:

Enjoy, you all!  :smile:  I'm pleased to have inspired you, lol.  I started watching out of curiosity myself, and it's been fun for me, if nothing else, just to compare them to "Sherlock".  There are still a few I haven't seen, but I am slowly making my way through them all.  I'd be interested to hear your own reviews, if/when you see them.

• Like 2

“Batman vs. Superman” and “Justice League”.  I actually thought Bats vs. Supes was better than Justice League, though I expected the opposite based on reviews and how I’d heard other people talk.  Neither movie was great nor horrible, I’d probably give each a solid “meh”.  But I thought the (over)acting was worse in Justice League, the story was entirely uninteresting, some of the heroes were either out of character or hard to like, and most of the attempted humor seemed forced or out of place.  I have no desire to ever watch it again, actually.

• Sad 1

None of the DC characters ever worked as well for me. I did like the first Superman movie (with Chris Reeves) and the first Batman movie (with Michael Keaton), but after that they lost me.

• Like 1

"Dawson City: Frozen Time".  "In 1978 Canada, a bulldozer digs up a long-lost collection of 533 nitrate film prints from the early 1900's."

Very interesting documentary about found footage.  75% of silent films are estimated to be lost.  Nitrate films were highly combustible, and thousands upon thousands of film reels were burned or dumped in rivers to be disposed of.  Imagine the historical treasure trove if all of them had survived.

• Like 1

"Sherlock Holmes and the House of Fear".

Set in a large manor, the title screen said this was based on "The Adventure of the Five Orange Pips".  I wonder if all the title screens have had a "based on", and I just didn't notice one until now.

This one kept me guessing; I had reason to suspect everyone.

Favorite moments:

Holmes can't find his tobacco.

Watson wants Holmes to stop smoking that tobacco.

Holmes knows his tattoos.

So much sarcasm, lol.

And puns, oh dear.

Watson: "Well Holmes, there's one of them's got nothing to do with it."
Holmes: "Who?"
Watson: "Cosgrave.  Yes, I'd vouch for Cosgrave, all right."
Later...
Watson: "Cosgrave!  I suspected him from the start."
Holmes: "Yes, you did, didn't you..."

Holmes: "Inspector Lestrade?  He should be here early in the morning."
Watson: "Unless he got on the wrong train.  Heh."
Lestrade gets no respect, no respect.

"Someone just tried to kill Dr. Watson."
"Blimey, who?"
"When we find that out, Lestrade, we can all go home."

"Dynamite?!  Suffering cats, what is going on here?!"
"Orange pips?!  Won't someone *please* tell me what's going on here??"

Lestrade just wants to know what's going on.

Lestrade, none too happy when Watson suggests that only his footprints are big enough to match the murderer's; and later, secretly comparing them, none too happy to find that his are actually smaller.

Watson [to Lestrade]: "Stick by us old man, we'll make a detective of you yet."

Holmes, Watson, and Lestrade, ribbing each other for their detective failures while trying to solve the case.

Scared Watson, shoots at a window.  "Stand still, or I'll shoot!  You're moving, I warned you!"
Shoots at a suit of armor, armor falls over.  "It's done for you, alright."
Shoots at a cat, cat yowls angrily.  "Sorry, all in the line of duty."
"Watson!  What on earth are you up to?"
"Holmes!  Thank heavens you've arrived, you're just in time!  They're all around the house, they've got me completely surrounded!"
"They?  There 'they' are..." [points to armor]
Later...
"Probably just one of your 'allunations, Doctor."
"Rubbish!  And the word, Lestrade, is 'hallucinations'."
"Whatever they are, they had you surrounded downstairs."

Holmes is just fine letting Watson do all the gravedigging.

"Having a nice little chat, Watson?"
Watson talks to an owl, then mutters about it when he figures out he hasn't been talking to Holmes the whole time.
"Stupid bird up there.  Silly bird, hanging about a graveyard all night.  Nothing else to do.  Interrupting a fellow's conversation..."

"Come Watson, there's not a moment to lose!  Unless I'm greatly mistaken, there's about to be another murder."
Owl: "Hoo?"
Watson: "You, you wall-eyed idiot, if you don't shut up!"

"Lord love a duck!  Strike me up a gum tree!"
Lestrade has the weirdest expressions, lol.

Caught Criminal: [Sneaks a gun out of his pocket, preparing to shoot Lestrade]
Lestrade: "Here here here, no more tricks like that!  You might have shot someone!"
Lestrade, a.k.a. Captain Obvious.

"No Lestrade, Mr. Alastair is completely innocent.  They selected him as their dupe."
Alastair: [Grins at Lestrade]

Holmes watches in amusement as Watson tries and fails to explain the details of the case.

• Like 2

Lestrade was played by Dennis Hoey.  It's pronounced the same way as in "Sherlock".  No first name, just "Inspector", lol.

• Thanks 1

Just curious.  Wondered if it was an actor I'd ever heard of (no).  Wondered whether they used what we might call the Granada pronunciation or the BBC pronunciation.  And wondered if they had come up with yet another "G" name

• Thanks 1

This is what the hiatus has reduced us to. Or has reduced Carol to, at any rate. :P 

• Like 1

I've always had a lot of random little questions.  It's just that when there's fresh Sherlock to discuss, you ignore me. :P

• Haha 3

True! :P (Eek, another point for Carol! I'll have to shape up or soon she'll be lording it over me.... 😉 )

• Haha 1

I thought that's what I'd been doing.  :huh:

Must have botched the job.  Oh well, can't be a virtuosa at everything.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

True! :P (Eek, another point for Carol! I'll have to shape up or soon she'll be lording it over me.... 😉 )

1 hour ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I thought that's what I'd been doing.  :huh:

Must have botched the job.  Oh well, can't be a virtuosa at everything.

I always thought the lording happened in subtle, unobtrusive, secretive manners (think Sherlock making John miss a whole Wednesday only without the sedatives).  In other words, Carol is so good at it, that no one realizes she's doing it. :D 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Hush -- you're divulging my secret weapon!

What else am I supposed to do since we're on an indeterminable length hiatus? I need to do something besides learn how to make mochas and lattes when I'm not homeschooling johnspec. ;)

• Haha 1

You will have to come to the right part of Minnesota to get some.  I look mostly like my profile pic spo recognzing me shouldn't be too hard.  I made my own hot chocolate last night at work.  That was interesting.  It managed to do the right amount of hazelnut syrup so it wasn't too strong (I half the amount called for so I get a subtle flavor that doesn't overpower the dark chocolate).