Recently watched movies

That was awesome. I like the song too, does anyone know who sings it?

I thought so too!  The singer is Barns Courtney.

• Thanks 1

I finally saw Black Panther! And I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I didn't expect much, thought it had probably been over-hyped, but now I think I get why people were excited when it came out. 

It was very uplifting, imo. I don't mind the darker, grittier trend in superhero movies at all but this was a nice change. There were some great lines, overall very good acting and humor but not so much humor that the emotional impact was compromised. 

I thought that Lupita Nyong'o's character was the true hero of the story and liked her very much. The villain was interesting. 

But say, is it just me being so used to his voice on Sherlock and The Office, or was Martin Freeman's American accent a little off? 

• Like 1

^ I don’t think you’re imagining it, I heard something in his accent that sounded a bit off too.

3 hours ago, T.o.b.y said:

It was very uplifting, imo. I don't mind the darker, grittier trend in superhero movies at all but this was a nice change.

How many of the more recent Marvel movies have you seen?  I thought they’d been trending towards being rather light and humorous lately, especially since the success of the first “Guardians of the Galaxy”.  At least I wouldn’t call either of the Guardians movies, the Ant-Mans, Doctor Strange, Spider-man: Homecoming, or Thor: Ragnarok ‘dark and gritty’.  I actually think dark and gritty is an old trend now (by movie standards), though the DC Universe and X-Men are still doing it.  (DC noticeably tried to get away from it a little in “Justice League”, but much of the humor seemed off and misplaced, almost painfully at times.  Poor DC, lol.)  Then there’s Deadpool, which is on its own level altogether, lol.

3 hours ago, T.o.b.y said:

... was Martin Freeman's American accent a little off

I was having trouble placing it, but I'm willing to believe that people talk like that somewhere in the US.  After all, it's a big country.  (Speaking of which, I'd be interested in our Minnesota contingent's rating of his accent in Fargo.)

I was actually more puzzled by BC's accent in Dr. Strange.  Or maybe it was supposed to be his personality.  In any case, sounded to me like he was growling!

On 10/12/2018 at 3:57 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

(Speaking of which, I'd be interested in our Minnesota contingent's rating of his accent in Fargo.)

I couldn’t tell you.  There are 3 or 4 Minnesotan accents.  What’s most common in my area (and most of the Twin Cities, thus population majority) is what I’ve seen labeled the ‘Western North’ accent.  (I refer you to this detailed map.)  The accent in “Fargo” is the ‘North Central’ accent, which appears more in the northwestern part of the state, allegedly.  I have heard it, but only from people who grew up in North Dakota.  Although, to me, “Fargo’s” version of it is greatly exaggerated.  My ex moved here from New Mexico, and it bugged him a lot when he watched that show.  “Minnesotans don’t talk like that,” he said, lol.  So there’s one outsider’s view, to go with an insider’s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just in case anyone's confused, the  first season (at least) of the TV series Fargo was actually set in Bemidji, Minnesota, which is, as Artemis says, way up there.  I've never been there either, though the show's accent does remind me somewhat of what I heard many years ago in the Minneapolis area, only a lot stronger.

The Twin Cities is pretty diverse, and there is a huge mix of people from all different parts of the state and neighboring states (according to the map the line between Western North and North Central runs right through it, though I might question that based on my experience living here); so it wouldn’t be inconceivable if you had heard the North Central accent in Minneapolis.

I watched a short series on PBS called “Victorian Slum House”.  Very interesting and educational to see what conditions the poorest of the poor lived in back then, and what they had to do to get by.  Puts things in perspective and makes one grateful for the amenities of the present day.  I grew up very poor by today’s standards, but at least I never had to sleep in a doss house.

• Like 1

It's funny: Just a few weeks ago, out of the blue, I was wondering to myself if there would ever be some kind of a sequel to "Unbreakable".  And then I saw this trailer.  Looks like it might be good.  Mr. Glass was such an interesting villain to me.

9 hours ago, Artemis said:

^ I don’t think you’re imagining it, I heard something in his accent that sounded a bit off too.

How many of the more recent Marvel movies have you seen?  I thought they’d been trending towards being rather light and humorous lately, especially since the success of the first “Guardians of the Galaxy”.  At least I wouldn’t call either of the Guardians movies, the Ant-Mans, Doctor Strange, Spider-man: Homecoming, or Thor: Ragnarok ‘dark and gritty’.  I actually think dark and gritty is an old trend now (by movie standards), though the DC Universe and X-Men are still doing it.  (DC noticeably tried to get away from it a little in “Justice League”, but much of the humor seemed off and misplaced, almost painfully at times.  Poor DC, lol.)  Then there’s Deadpool, which is on its own level altogether, lol.

Yeah, Deadpool is in a category of his own. My husband watched Deadpool 2 last night and laughed his head off, but said it would have been way too violent for me, which I readily believe. 

You're right, I haven't seen many of the recent Marvel movies, or any movies at all, really. No time... Anyway, I loved Guardians of the Galaxy part one and still do, and you are right, it's not very gritty, but the humor is, how shall I say, sarcastic? It's about anti-heroes, after all. Black Panther was different, imo, very traditionally heroic and didn't shy away from a little pathos. And pulled that off well, I think. 

42 minutes ago, T.o.b.y said:

Anyway, I loved Guardians of the Galaxy part one and still do, and you are right, it's not very gritty, but the humor is, how shall I say, sarcastic? It's about anti-heroes, after all. Black Panther was different, imo, very traditionally heroic and didn't shy away from a little pathos.

Yeah, I agree.  I think what I meant to say is that, in relation to the other movies Marvel has churned out over the last few years (you're right about the Guardians kinda being its own thing), I didn't feel that Black Panther was all that different or unique in its tone.  And even compared to some of the older ones, like the Iron Mans or Captain Americas, it didn't feel particularly fresh or distinct.  So, in my opinion, it was over-hyped.  That was just my impression though, and I still enjoyed it well enough.  I know many other people enjoyed it differently.

2 hours ago, Artemis said:

Yeah, I agree.  I think what I meant to say is that, in relation to the other movies Marvel has churned out over the last few years (you're right about the Guardians kinda being its own thing), I didn't feel that Black Panther was all that different or unique in its tone.  And even compared to some of the older ones, like the Iron Mans or Captain Americas, it didn't feel particularly fresh or distinct.  So, in my opinion, it was over-hyped.  That was just my impression though, and I still enjoyed it well enough.  I know many other people enjoyed it differently.

What took me by surprise was how well the female characters worked. It's the first pop culture movie in ages that I have seen where I felt like the "strong women" were really well portrayed and didn't seem forced. They weren't treated any differently by the writers than regular male characters, imo, and they were given great meaty dialog about ideals, values, politics, loyalty, etc. It's certainly not a new idea, I just thought it was well executed. 

My favorite scene was between Nakia and Okoye, when it became clear that Okoye was going to stay in Wakanda and serve the new king. 

What bothered me was how this allegedly super modern advanced country is ruled by a patrilineal monarchy where physical strength determines who is deemed qualified to sit on the throne. I mean, really? 

• Like 1

Did you see this already?  I posted it before, but, still funny, lol.  I especially like what it says about the women in the film.

"...And Nakia, who after all the debate between T'Challa and Killmonger, was making the same case all along and never got the credit for it."

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, J.P. said:

Urk. That video almost ruins the song for me, I prefer the Marvel version. :wacko: But it did lead to some other videos, and I definitely like his songs. He doesn't look a bit like his voice, though, does he? Anyway, something new to add to my iPod, yay! Thanks ladies!

15 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I was actually more puzzled by BC's accent in Dr. Strange.  Or maybe it was supposed to be his personality.  In any case, sounded to me like he was growling!

I don't think I would have noticed anything off in either of their accents if I weren't already so familiar with their natural speaking voices. To me, Dr. Strange just sounded like a "generic" American accent, with a trace of New York … which is exactly how my niece, who grew up in CA but lived in New York for several years, and where her father is from, sounds. TBH, I think we make too much of accents … the regional differences just aren't that exact anymore. TV and movies and migration and immigration have made it all very fluid, imo.

I never saw enough of Martin's Fargo to judge, but I too feel that the movie accents are highly exaggerated. I have a student who grew up in Minnesota … I don't notice that she has any particular accent, but I remember she was offended by the accent in the movie because she thought they were making fun of the Minnesota accent and insisted they didn't really speak that way. I wouldn't know (or care, particularly, tbh. I didn't think it was worth getting angry about.....)

8 hours ago, Artemis said:

It's funny: Just a few weeks ago, out of the blue, I was wondering to myself if there would ever be some kind of a sequel to "Unbreakable".  And then I saw this trailer.  Looks like it might be good.  Mr. Glass was such an interesting villain to me.

Who da hey is Split? I never heard of such a movie! I assume it's another Shyamalan film? I like his movies, but I agree with critics that none of them ever had quite the impact that the Sixth Sense did. But I like them anyway, they're offbeat. I wonder if I need to see Split first in order to appreciate this one.

5 hours ago, Artemis said:

Exactly. It was a solid, well-made, enjoyable movie … but it wasn't the second coming so many people made it out to be. It didn't change things the way that, say, Philadelphia did. Nor did it need to; different genre.

And I also thought the women (and Killmonger *swoon*) were the best things about the movie. I adored Shuri, I want her for my baby sister. :D 

• Like 1

Maybe I was just over-enthusiastic to be able to watch any movie at all. It was the first time in... A long time. I miss movies. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Artemis said:

Awwww...

Oh, don't feel sorry for me! I have been very busy with work and family and that's all good.

I was just listening to a song the other day that included the line, roughly translated from German: "I've lost a few things but found others instead so don't worry about me". That really resonated. I am fine! 

• Like 4

Well that's good to hear.  :smile:  I don't know what I'd do without movies.  (I mean, I'm sure I would read, or find something else to do, but...)  Movies and TV series' have gotten me through long bouts of loneliness and some really tough times when I had no one to be there with me through them, especially when I was younger.  In more recent years I've really grown to appreciate them as an art form (or combination of art forms) as well.  People's relationship to movies is interesting and kind of special.

• Like 2

Arcadia said:

I adored Shuri, I want her for my baby sister. :D 

Aizzz!! I can't stand her. I like her in another show (Black Mirror) but can't stand her character, but then I can't stand BP overall. XD

On 10/14/2018 at 1:37 AM, T.o.b.y said:

Maybe I was just over-enthusiastic to be able to watch any movie at all. It was the first time in... A long time. I miss movies. 

This is accurate, because you like Black Panther!! XD What are you thinking!? 😛

19 hours ago, T.o.b.y said:

Oh, don't feel sorry for me! I have been very busy with work and family and that's all good.

I was just listening to a song the other day that included the line, roughly translated from German: "I've lost a few things but found others instead so don't worry about me". That really resonated. I am fine! 

Good for you and I mean it.

My friend sneaked (snuck?) out from his wife and kid to catch movie, he even took a leave from work. That's how overwhelmed he is to have a growing family. Another took personal holiday disguised as work trip just to unwind, and countless complain about the little time they have and how 'unfair' it is.

It's appaling to me that many didn't think through how difficult parenthood is before commited to it. If you want to do it, do it right imo, it's creating life, nothing to be taken lightly for, or, not at all, like me who *gracefully* chickened out. 😛

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

My friend sneaked (snuck?)

'Sneaked' is correct.  :smile:  (Although, 'snuck' has become so colloquial that it could also be considered correct, in a sense.  But not in the formal sense.)

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

It's appaling to me that many didn't think through how difficult parenthood is before commited to it. If you want to do it, do it right imo, it's creating life, nothing to be taken lightly for, or, not at all, like me who *gracefully* chickened out. 😛

And yet you are committed to your dear little doggie.  :tulip:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Artemis said:

'Sneaked' is correct.  :smile:

So is "snuck" nowadays -- unless you're writing a formal paper, in which case it should be "moved furtively."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

And yet you are committed to your dear little doggie.  :tulip:

It only took me fifteen years to consider the logistic and everyday to worry that I would lost him someday.

Thanks for those, snuck sounds funny to me, like past tense of most irregular verbs.