Recently watched movies

Agreed, I thought it was very well structured, so that you really cared what happened to the main characters. I only liked the ending a little less than the rest of the movie because I enjoyed the character bits so much that the action bits paled by comparison. But it couldn't have ended any other way, and it reminded me of how much fun those epic crossovers were back in the day when I used to read comics.

I didn't even notice it was a long movie, it was so well paced. The story fit the time frame. All in all, I think Marvel deserves to be proud of what they've done with these films, and Endgame is a fitting finale.

• Like 1

I'd like to see this.

'Tis the year of the action film.

There are so many movies I want to see this summer.  Can't decide if I'll go to the theater or rent this one.

This one comes out on May 31.  I'm not usually into monster movies, but I just think it looks cool.  (Plus the trailer gave me chills in the theater, lol.)

Spoiler

I'm surprised that the casualties are pretty low.

Well - that's another Stark movie that suppose to be unpredictable. :P
I also don't know every movie from the series, but I just go on not knowing who the people are or why they are there.
Now - I think it was much more quietly funny, but the funnies were really smart. Did you spot the reference to Big Lebowski? Stan Lee cameo? Did you noticed that Green Bruce was far sighted (because his eyes were magnified by his glasses - someone from the FX thought of such a detail!)

Then there was Tony meeting his dad - quite moving tbh. And Jarvis. :D

Anyway that's a hell of a complicated Universe. I wonder how many people they needed to keep track of the storylines. And if they used old footage for the past-parts. Or maybe they have filmed some of it along with Infinity War? Or maybe used CGI people - Strange looked - well - strange.

To be honest, I really enjoyed the first part. It was so un-peopled. I still sympathize with Thanos - there are definitely too many people in this world. And he was wise enough to destroy the stones. He was really shit at being a father though.

Tony. Sniff. He was actually my most fav Avenger, mostly because he has no "powers" beside his brain. Hmm… I see a pattern here. I was hoping for someone (maybe his little girl) having an idea how to travel to the past and save him.

And OF COURSE there is no after-credit scene. It's the end of the story. This was a useful spoiler I've seen, as the credits tend to be very long. :)

PS- using ear plugs not only make the sound level bearable - it also cuts off the annoying noises made by your neighbours (don't you just want to snap your fingers sometimes?)

I just had to go and see it, because internet resembled a spoiler-mine field.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.P. said:

Funny, MIB, Alladin and Godzilla were in the ads before the movie. Also the new Lion King. Hell, all those movies are actually remakes, except MIB that's a follow-up.

I'm starting to think that movie makers have forgotten how to do anything except remakes, sequels, reboots, and adaptations.

• Like 3

On 5/6/2019 at 3:40 PM, J.P. said:

And if they used old footage for the past-parts. Or maybe they have filmed some of it along with Infinity War?

To answer your questions: The past scenes were not old footage, they were re-filmed (I noticed some inconsistencies there, but they were minor); and most of Endgame was filmed alongside Infinity War.

On 5/6/2019 at 3:40 PM, J.P. said:

And OF COURSE there is no after-credit scene. It's the end of the story. This was a useful spoiler I've seen, as the credits tend to be very long.

Yeah, I think no post-credits scene was a good decision.  There is, however, if you listen closely, the sound of Tony hammering and building his very first Iron suit.  A callback to the movie that started it all.

71d4bec0d0804f32401c08928a040636.gif

• Thanks 1

I rented 'Ralph Breaks the Internet'.  I enjoyed it, it was a fun depiction of the internet with an unusual message about how insecurities can destroy relationships.  I feel like I could watch it multiple times and still not catch all the little jokes and Easter eggs.  A couple parts were downright disturbing though.  :blink:

Detective pikachu 8/10

Yeah I know, I solely watched it for the nostalgia XD. But it was a good movie, better than the game imo (yes, it's based on a game, altho the game isn't that popular compared to the main games.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2019 at 5:52 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

I'm starting to think that movie makers have forgotten how to do anything except remakes, sequels, reboots, and adaptations.

:moriarty:you are only getting it now????

That is why I'd watch whatever Christopher Nolan makes. Beside Batman, I think his work is still original.

Watched John Wick 3. Didn't like it as much as 1 or 2, because the story gets weird. But I don't watch John Wick for story. I went to see a** kicking and the moral of the story is still nobody should mistreat a dog, so I got those.

And watched HBO documentary The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley. This is really intriguing and seems like a story of a true sociopath. It's scary, so scary that people could believe if their intention is good, they could do anything to go there. The level of delusion is horrifying. 

6 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

... watched HBO documentary The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley. This is really intriguing and seems like a story of a true sociopath. It's scary, so scary that people could believe if their intention is good, they could do anything to go there. The level of delusion is horrifying.

I haven't seen that, but please remember that documentaries are virtually never the unvarnished truth.  They are one person's (or one group's) impression of the truth, and they're almost always exaggerated just to make sure the audience "gets it."

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I haven't seen that, but please remember that documentaries are virtually never the unvarnished truth.  They are one person's (or one group's) impression of the truth, and they're almost always exaggerated just to make sure the audience "gets it."

Spoilsport. :P 

• Tongue 1

21 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

That's true.

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

Spoilsport. :P 

That's true.

:P

I'd try to explain why I thought what I said (in a very simple way) But it's been awhile, feel free to throw cake at me if I got something wrong or if I indeed misunderstood the documentary.

Basically Elizabeth Holmes (nope, not another sister) was selling this idea of affordable medical check-up. It's some kind of amazing compact, very small machine that only needs a simple finger prick and just few drops of blood, unlike regular check-up that requires vial and vial of blood. It also produce speedy result. It's awesome idea, it'd help medical world a lot, it'd help people. The things is, the technology is not there yet. It's impossible to fit those algorithm and analytical sophistication or whatever needed to get check-up in that compact machine. It's impossible to get it from only few drops of blood.

She kept selling the idea, believing on the idea and obtain millions of investment from it. That is an interesting view shared by one of people in the documentary about how people are more likely to think that it's okay to lie if it's for good cause.

So allegedly (and proven and testified I believe) to get the check-up result that their machine can't handle (even those it can handle are questionable), they would revert to common way by using just regular lab and method, sometimes making excuses for the patient to draw more blood, sometimes..diluting the sample, the results are of course, are at big risk of being inaccurate. I don't think explanation is needed on why inaccurate result is very dangerous.

Although she is very aware of the shortcoming, she continues to deny and believe that she does no wrong, and lies. Actually most of the footage in the documentary are real advertising footages that she or her company produced.

• Confused 1

Somebody's bound to invent a real one sooner or later, though -- and might not have if the idea hadn't come to their attention via the fake one.  Just consider the two-way wrist televisions in the old Dick Tracy comic strips -- sheer fantasy in the 1960's, but actually looks a bit clunky today.

dick-tracy.jpg

2 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Somebody's bound to invent a real one sooner or later, though -- and might not have if the idea hadn't come to their attention via the fake one.

I just hope that it'll regulated properly.  For something as essential as medical related, she shouldn't able to get away as long as she did. And I'd think, if she allowed flexibility, things could turn out...better? For example, one of the engineer actually asked if they could make the machine bigger, it could solve some of the problems they have. The irony is, the amazing size is also one of the contributing factor to its success.

On 5/20/2019 at 5:52 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

Watched John Wick 3. Didn't like it as much as 1 or 2, because the story gets weird. But I don't watch John Wick for story. I went to see a** kicking and the moral of the story is still nobody should mistreat a dog, so I got those.

^ Yep, this.

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 4:40 PM, J.P. said:
  Hide contents

Or maybe used CGI people - Strange looked - well - strange.

I wondered the same thing. 

Alex and I just rewatched Stranger than Fiction, and liked it even better than the first time.  It's got a terrific cast, so even if you think you don't like Will Ferrell (because of the buffoons he usually plays), you might want to check this out for Emma Thompson, Dustin Hoffman, Linda Hunt, et al.

Briefly, Ferrell plays a man who starts hearing his life being narrated inside his head, and realizes that he's living a book as it's being written.  Judging by some hints dropped by the unseen author, he fears that the story will soon end in his death, so he resolves to learn the identity of the author and convince her not to finish the book.  I guess you could call it a suspenseful dramedy.

• Like 2

Sounds interesting.

I think he should be grateful he is not in George R.R.Martin book, but the good thing is he wouldn't need to worry about the finish.

• Haha 1

"Aladdin".  This one gets a "blah" from me.  There were parts I liked (the "Ali Ababwa" song was still good, Carpet was Carpety, some funny new scenes such as their arrival at the palace); and taken as its own thing, it wasn't necessarily a bad movie.  But it was a bad remake, in my opinion.  The flow, the acting, the added instrumentation, and the parts of the story they changed, all failed to capture the mood and emotion of the original story.  Aladdin's own characterization was more or less on point, and even the Genie's was okay; but everyone else's felt off to me, especially Jasmine's.  In the original she was much more canny and spunky, I thought.  I didn't like her new arc of trying to prove herself good enough to be Sultan as a woman, nor her "I am woman, hear me roar" song which was, frankly, just annoying.  She actually came across as more whiny and helpless and less defiant than her animated counterpart.  Jafar, too, seemed less poised and calculating and more like he just had anger issues.  He lacked the menace and imposing figure of the original, as well as the humor; probably because his sidekick/quipping partner, Iago, was reduced to an insentient bird spy rather than an actual character in this version.  Everyone seemed a little dumbed down, actually.  A lot of the cleverness I liked so much in the original characters/story was taken out, and what was left in was not emoted convincingly.

So all in all, the animated version is vastly superior, and I'll probably never bother to watch this one again unless I'm with someone else who wants to see it.  5/10 for me, at best.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We saw the preview, and were not impressed.  I'm trying to remember why, and have a vague recollection that it seemed awfully busy and noisy (though that may have been one -- or most! -- of the other previews).

• Like 1