Recently watched movies

Ha! 

On Sunday I really wanted to watch a movie but there were only two choices between Aladdin and Pikachu (the rest are crappier or something I had watched). I'm really NOT INTO Disney's movies and hated to imagine it being musical most of the time. And Pikachu, huh, I'm not that interested, I know nothing about Pokemon except idiotic Pokemon Go player. But since I was stuck and had time to burn, and it was free from accumulated points (I have membership of the cinema because they have card with Sherlock's image :P), I went for Pikachu (for me, in movie, better the devil you don't know), and actually quite enjoyed it. I like the nervous looking duck and little dinosaur that knocks on people's fingers. One of these days, I would ask my brother about them (he is one of the idiotic PG players who played during driving).

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 3:35 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

We saw the preview, and were not impressed.  I'm trying to remember why, and have a vague recollection that it seemed awfully busy and noisy (though that may have been one -- or most! -- of the other previews).

Same. Even in the preview, it just looked … lackluster, somehow.

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 4:17 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

On Sunday I really wanted to watch a movie but there were only two choices between Aladdin and Pikachu

*shudder*

19 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Even in the preview, it just looked … lackluster, somehow.

The really sad thing is, I perked up when I saw there was a live-action Aladdin -- would have been interested, based on just that information -- till I saw the preview!   :(

• Like 1

Watched Godzilla, not pleased. 5/10 for effort/ Or, to be precise, I found it so harddddd not to fall asleep. Really dozed off couple of microseconds intermittently, and seriously considered just cuddling up and really go to sleep just like I did with Black Panther. :P

If you enjoy the monsters, I think they are doing okay, probably good enough research etc. And there are many of them.

But for the story, it's all over the place and I wasn't sure what were they doing, the intention or whatever sense they tried to make, and it's also so, so ridiculous that we don't really see much of other side of thing. Bwaraarrr, monsters, city destroyed, bwrararara, ridiculous expeditions, bwarararraar. It almost seems like the human are there solely for exposition.

Anyone watched Brightburn? It's like Superman origin but unlike Superman origin.

how if Superman is... not nice?

. I think it's not bad, although some questions are left unanswered, and some event's trigger are unclear. It could use more build-ups. 6.5/10.

And I also think that it shouldn't be categorised as horror.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

And I also think that it shouldn't be categorised as horror.

How would you categorize it?

I really want to see both of those movies!

5 minutes ago, Artemis said:

How would you categorize it?

Good question!

It's not developed that way enough to be considered as sci-fi. It's not in that line to be considered Crime. Hm..hm..could it be thriller? I'm not sure actually. I just always think horror should be something that has supernatural element in it.

An evil alien child with superpowers isn't supernatural?  :P

I'm mostly kidding, I think I know what you mean.  Maybe it belongs in a new genre, like "superhero horror".  With movies like "The New Mutants" and "Joker" coming out, it's becoming a bit of a trend.

• Tongue 1

Yup, I do think there should be another genre for this kind of movie although not necessary superhero related.

Yah, I dislike those basic supernatural movies with ghostly elements, not sure how to put it, so I need to double take when something is categorized as 'horror'. I've seen a lot of Crime, Thriller being categorized as horror and it annoys me.  If they associate horror with mainly fear, then cheesy romcom and musical should be labelled as horror as well. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

If they associate horror with mainly fear, then cheesy romcom and musical should be labelled as horror as well.

I was going to argue by saying that the very definition of "horror" is "fear", but the second half of your sentence negated me and I can't argue with that, lol.

Also, the English word "horror" doesn't mean quite the same thing as fear, even though the two feelings are often inspired by the same things.  To me, "horror" as such is more like extreme disgust -- which would describe a lot of the old monster movies pretty well (well, it would describe their intent, not necessarily the effect they had when I watched them on the Very Late Show).

I agree!  Horror to me is actually something different than fear.  It’s not even disgust, it’s closer to shock... and maybe even grief?  I donno, it’s kind of unique.  There’s something about horror that makes it a more painful experience than fear.  Maybe because fear occurs before something terrible has happened, in anticipation of it; whereas horror is what one feels after the terrible thing has happened, upon witnessing or experiencing it.  So perhaps the real difference is time.

Anyway, I was purely going by dictionary definition, which said “intense fear” when I looked it up.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Artemis said:

... fear occurs before something terrible as happened, in anticipation of it; whereas horror is what one feels after the terrible thing has happened, upon witnessing or experiencing it.

Excellent point!  :applause:

• Thanks 1

On 6/4/2019 at 2:31 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Also, the English word "horror" doesn't mean quite the same thing as fear, even though the two feelings are often inspired by the same things.  To me, "horror" as such is more like extreme disgust -- which would describe a lot of the old monster movies pretty well (well, it would describe their intent, not necessarily the effect they had when I watched them on the Very Late Show).

On 6/4/2019 at 11:03 AM, Artemis said:

I agree!  Horror to me is actually something different than fear.  It’s not even disgust, it’s closer to shock... and maybe even grief?  I donno, it’s kind of unique.  There’s something about horror that makes it a more painful experience than fear.  Maybe because fear occurs before something terrible has happened, in anticipation of it; whereas horror is what one feels after the terrible thing has happened, upon witnessing or experiencing it.  So perhaps the real difference is time.

Anyway, I was purely going by dictionary definition, which said “intense fear” when I looked it up.

Actually, I'm still confused. So, those; disgust, fear, shock, grief.., would you say that it has to be associated with something supernatural? Because it seems like that's not what you guys are hinting at. But without it, to me it applies to so many other things that are wildly distributed in other genres.

Let's do a couple of samples. Schindler's List, 12 Years of Slave, Hotel Rwanda, Hachiko, The Fault Is In Our Stars, Up etc. All these comes from variety of genres; biography, drama, history, family, comedy, animation, adventure, that I believe none of them listed as horror. But they have most of the things you have mentioned. So what makes them not horror?

And when I look at movies like Hannibal and Saw, I'd categorize it as Mystery, Crime, Thriller. So are A Quiet Place (it has disgusting monster (or should Alien be differentiated from monsters? It seems racist to think that all aliens are monster XD, you see, like Sting, I'm also an alien in New York), so are movies like Signs. And Godzilla, literally monsters, earth dwellers are never categorized as horror. Our Hounds of Baskerville which is more of mystery but sometimes categorized as horror.

Yah, you'd think after all those it whines seems like I'm going somewhere. But I don't. :P 

Maybe genre is just a technical (?) or practical categorization for almost everyone, I get that. Not to me.

The mixture of horror, crime, mystery and thriller annoys me mainly because I really like the rest but I hate horror (in my definition, supernatural/ghostly elements). I also dislike the mixture of sci-fi and fantasy. I love sci-fi, but rarely interested in pure Fantasy, in fact I avoid them. I think it has to do with how I enjoy movies, I love to go in totally blind and blank, so misplacement of genre is like a trap or repellent for me if that makes sense.

• Like 1

My response to Carol was more about the word's meaning in real life rather than the genre.  :happy:  Outside the genre, "horror" can refer to many things not supernatural.  Inside the genre, I don't personally think it has to be associated with something supernatural, but it usually is.  I'm guilty of associating a movie with several different genres, and I've seen "Supernatural Thriller" as a genre too, so it seems there's a lot of leeway there.

I suppose I might say that the horror genre is anything that was intended mainly to be "scary".  (Whether it actually is scary is another matter; I don't get scared by "scary" movies.)  Basically, if you can interchange "It's a horror movie" with "It's a scary movie," then it probably fits in the horror genre.  So Schindler's List, to use one of your examples, definitely contains horrific subject matter, but I wouldn't say to someone "Want to watch a scary movie?" and then pop in Schindler's List, lol.  The connotation of "scary movie" wouldn't imply something like Schindler's List as an option.  It could, however, imply Saw or A Quiet Place.  I haven't seen Hannibal so I don't know about that one, but if it's like Silence of the Lambs then I think it kind of blurs the line between horror and thriller.

That's just my own personal gauge though, it's not rigid.

• Like 2

Yah the more I try to make sense of it the more confusing it is.

Anyway, all these actually comes from me procrastinating whether to watch Brightburn or not, and I ended up having to read the description which I normally always tried to avoid.

Haiz.

A quick google search turned up this: https://www.cineplex.de/film/apocalypse-now-final-cut/364533/mannheim/ , which states that the show date is mid-July, so cinemas in your area might not have started ticket presales yet (ours usually only do about two weeks in advance).

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the link. So far the Cineplex in Mannheim is the only one within a somehow sane distance that actually have a link for booking it. Other don't - but I also checked the websites from Frankfurt and Berlin, so there is still hope that they may put the links later. But at least I know now where to look for it. :)

Today I've seen Goodbye Christopher Robin. I actually liked it more than Christopher Robin. The movie tells the story about how Pooh and his friends came to life. It's on Sky.

I also recommend a "Russian version of Apollo 13": Spacewalker - but telling the story of the of Alexey Leonov. If you like the first movie you will like the other too. It's on Amazon Prime, sadly only in Germany. https://www.amazon.de/Spacewalker-Yuriy-Itskov/dp/B0764T8T65/ref=tmm_aiv_swatch_1?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1559854858&sr=1-1

I also might take a look at the Salyut 7 next https://www.amazon.de/Salyut-7-Pavel-Derevyanko/dp/B07B8CVP66/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=Salyut+7%3A+The+True+Story+of+the+Soviet+'Apollo+13'&qid=1559855444&s=instant-video&sr=1-1-fkmr0

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 2:41 PM, J.P. said:

Talking about "the horror" - Apocalypse Now is coming back to cinemas. Unfortunately for only one night. And I still haven't found out where to book me a ticket.

I'm just curious why you want to see it? 

Godzilla: king of monsters 6/10

I just want to say that normally I would never have watched this movie and only watched because my best friend kept pestering me to go with her and I made deal with her that I would watch this movie with her if she would watch the lion king with me, in that case both us get to see a movie neither of us really wanted to see. Anyway, the movie was pretty much what I expected: a bunch of giant monsters making a lot of property damage, military dudes thinking shooting at a 50 foot monster will somehow kill it and most of the main protagonists having plot armour. That being said it's better than I suspected and I liked the soundtrack.

Aladdin 4/10

F*** YOU, DISNEY! This movie was so boring, joyless and absolutely lifeless. And here's why: unnecessary added lyrics that add nothing but pad the runtime, unnecessary added sexism, unnecessary added romance for Genie, unnecessary added answers to questions everyone figured out already such as what happened to Jasmine's mom and Aladdin's parents, I hated how Will Smith looked with incredibly dodgy blue CGI, I hated how Hakim briefly obeyed Jafar even though he served the sultan for much longer because the movie needed conflict or something, I hated how they made Iago act like a common parrot and took all of his sass from the original, I hated how they made Aladdin briefly a power hungry twat and I hated how they made Jafar a power hungry asshole and what I hated most of all was that Jasmine forgave Aladdin for lying by pretending someone he wasn't just so he could be rich. It has absolutely nothing of the charm of the original!

The fan made movie Twisted made by Starkid is so much better than something a multi million dollar company made because it was a love letter to the original movie and Disney itself! The only good thing about the reboot was the added realism of Aladdin trying to act like a prince and failing horribly at it and the fact that you just can't claim you're from a place nobody heard of and can't find on a map without anybody figuring out you're a fraud.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the review, now I am no longer sad I will not be able to see the new Aladdin at the theater. 

Just watched Ready Player One. 7/10, I would say. I would have taken so very, very little to make it a 9...

On 6/8/2019 at 3:57 PM, Fantasy Lover said:

Anyway, the movie was pretty much what I expected: a bunch of giant monsters making a lot of property damage, military dudes thinking shooting at a 50 foot monster will somehow kill it and most of the main protagonists having plot armour.

^ That about sums it up.  It's about what one would expect, but I was entertained nonetheless.  Lots of roaring and smashing and pretty lights.