Recently watched movies

On 6/9/2019 at 5:59 PM, T.o.b.y said:

Thanks for the review, now I am no longer sad I will not be able to see the new Aladdin at the theater. 

Just watched Ready Player One. 7/10, I would say. I would have taken so very, very little to make it a 9...

You're being generous. 5/10. 6 at best.

"Dark Phoenix".  Your typical X-Men movie, fairly formulaic.  Not sure what to rate it.  It wasn't the best, but I don't think it was as bad as everyone's saying.  I liked it.

I remember being somewhat heart-broken by the Dark Phoenix storyline in the comics, but then it kind of went on too long, or something, and I lost interest in the X-Men. (For one thing, it seemed like Wolverine took over the story, and I was never fond of him.) So I'm of two minds whether or not to see the movie.

7 hours ago, Arcadia said:

(For one thing, it seemed like Wolverine took over the story, and I was never fond of him.)

^ Ditto.  There's too much focus on him in the films, too, in my opinion.  I know he's kind of like the Batman of X-Men, but I don't want it all to revolve around him.  We've seen enough of him, let's see some others.

For what it's worth, the Dark Phoenix film bears only a slight resemblance to the Dark Phoenix comics (from what I've read), and Wolverine is not in it at all.

• Thanks 1

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 3:10 AM, Artemis said:

For what it's worth, the Dark Phoenix film bears only a slight resemblance to the Dark Phoenix comics (from what I've read), and Wolverine is not in it at all.

Interesting, since in the comics Wolverine was instrumental to her becoming dark in the first place.  But probably wise to tell a whole new story.

On 6/15/2019 at 7:32 AM, Sheerluck said:

Baby Driver. Tosh. Utter Tosh.

Whaaaa... I enjoyed it. 

On 6/15/2019 at 7:33 AM, Sheerluck said:

You're being generous. 5/10. 6 at best.

Whaaaa... I enjoyed it.

Men In Black International. 6.5/10

Seems like critiques hate it, but I find it quite entertaining. I don't remember much from the original, except the ugly pug, didn't watch the subsequent sequels too, so maybe I'm not infected by the need to make comparison.

1 hour ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Seems like critiques hate it, but I find it quite entertaining.

^ Same.

Okay, okay, you've convinced me to give it a try. If only to gaze at Chris Hemsworth….

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2019 at 4:54 PM, Arcadia said:

Okay, okay, you've convinced me to give it a try. If only to gaze at Chris Hemsworth….

Wait, we barely do anything! You just use it as excuse for your Chris. I don't find him attractive, but he has nice voice.

Toy Story 4.  8/10 quite a lot of funny moments. I love

subtle evil unicorn

Good god. This series is the most depressing alternate universe in my opinion.

Little bit of general spoiler below.

Well, the idea is the same with previous instalment, about toys and abandonment. What is the message that they want kids to take home I wonder? I hope it's not to get more toys to 'rescue' them. That you should appreciate your toys? I do agree with that, especially thinking back about how we treated our toys like treasure and passed them to younger siblings, unlike current generation of my nieces and nephews who have too many to appreciate. But even so, there is no way those toys won't get abandoned in the future when we grow up or stop playing with them. And they don't die, and they have feelings, fears and pain. Waks, so depressing. I'd say toys should stage a rebellion against human in toy story world and create the world of their own.

Parasite 8/10

This is a South Korean movie. I saw the wrong brief description but intrigued to watch it and enjoyed it with a bonus of knowing nothing about it. 

I like to watch unusual movie, one of the main draw is empty theatre so I was surprised that they show this and even more surprised that it was full house in the mid week on the mid day. Apparently it won Palme d'Or in Cannes Film Festival, that explains. And then I found out that it's the same director who did Snowpiercer, which I enjoyed.

There are stuffs I don't understand because of culture maybe, that I think some parts can be streamlined but overall the movie flows very well. It's entertaining, enjoyable, full of satire and reality. It's some kind of black comedy.

Thanks for the review, now I am no longer sad I will not be able to see the new Aladdin at the theater. 
Just watched Ready Player One. 7/10, I would say. I would have taken so very, very little to make it a 9...
You're welcome :). I have another review ready: Rocketman 8/10

This is another biopic about a gay singer and it even has similarities to Bohemian Rhapsody

such as: drug use, discovering you're gay, orgies, the evil manager, the temporary break up with a friend and the poor attempt at a heterosexual marriage.

despite that, I enjoyed it and the songs ^^.

The Crimes of Grindelwald

7/10 

There were some things that bothered me but overall, very enjoyable, imo. I love Newt. I love young(er) Dumbledore. I think Grindelwald is a much more interesting and believable villain than Voldemort. 

My heart bleeds for Queenie and Jacob though. And somehow, I can't warm up to Tina. 

How well did you like it compared to the first movie?

We were kinda cool about the first one, so decided to skip this one -- just wondering if that was a logical decision.

Spiderman Far From Home 7/10

I wanted to skip this one, no offense Spidey, I just not actively looking forward to superhero movie, but the one I wanted to see was not available, and magically there was a seat available at the back while the rest was almost sold out, I think because it's a single seat, so I took it.

Anyway, I'm never the one who like to wait for mid-credit or end-credit. But about that single seat, apparently a group of young adults bought the whole row left for my seat, and they didn't want to leave. I didn't feel like squeezing my way through them (yes, this cinema arrangement is questionable in term of emergency escape) so I sat back down and waited with them. It was freaking long, and upon gazing at them when they STILL didn't want to leave after mid-credit, I saw three of them wearing Spiderman costumes. FULL FRIGGING SPIDEY COSTUMES up to head, means they did it for the whole movie. Good God.

Anyway, it was quite fun, but beside Tom Holland, I think he is adorable, there rest are just okay with me.

There are many many things to nitpick, but I'd just list three:

- Big chunk of the movie feels like a teenage rom-com. If not only for the actor, who makes it kind of cute instead of annoying, I'd be pissed.

- I really dislike the plot line where Spiderman was being misunderstood. I know it's a thing in Spiderman, but I have enough of this trope in Spiderman and all other movies. Ever! It's just an annoying plot device when there is no better ideas and there should be.

- There is a very ridiculous scene of Mysterio's exposition. It's so ridiculous.

Extra: it seems like Tony Stark had pushed so many people into villains. And here, again. Is it worth it to have one Tony Stark and many many villains caused by him? :P

Anyway, I'm never the one who like to wait for mid-credit or end-credit. But about that single seat, apparently a group of young adults bought the whole row left for my seat, and they didn't want to leave. I didn't feel like squeezing my way through them (yes, this cinema arrangement is questionable in term of emergency escape) so I sat back down and waited with them. It was freaking long, and upon gazing at them when they STILL didn't want to leave after mid-credit, I saw three of them wearing Spiderman costumes. FULL FRIGGING SPIDEY COSTUMES up to head, means they did it for the whole movie. Good God.

5 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

- Big chunk of the movie feels like a teenage rom-com. If not only for the actor, who makes it kind of cute instead of annoying, I'd be pissed.

That was my major quibble with the film, especially in the beginning.  Otherwise I liked it, though not quite as much as “Homecoming”.

A "Mulan" trailer came out today.  It actually looks not bad so far.  I hope it is not bad, because "Mulan" is one of my favorites, lol.

• Like 2

Yeah, that one might be okay. I really don't understand their sudden need to turn all these films into live action, though. Disney's always been at its best when doing animation, why spoil it? Ah well......

• Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 2:01 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

How well did you like it compared to the first movie?

We were kinda cool about the first one, so decided to skip this one -- just wondering if that was a logical decision.

I think I like both Fantastic Beasts movies the same. My husband says that the first one is definitely better, though, and my impression is that his taste is more similar to yours than mine (his favorite LOTR character is Bilbo, too, for example and he likes John better than Sherlock). 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, besleybean said:

(Butts in)

Smaug is clearly the best character in The Hobbit films!

😁

I fully agree!!! 

Yeah, that one might be okay. I really don't understand their sudden need to turn all these films into live action, though. Disney's always been at its best when doing animation, why spoil it? Ah well......
Because Disney is using nostalgia as a quick cash grab?
  • Like 1

I've read somewhere that it's an IP thing, mostly. Disney's rights on the older Renaissance movies are about to run out apparently, meaning that anyone could then produce a cheap knock-off under the same name. So now they're doing those live-action remakes, and could then claim that their rights on those are infringed on, not the (usually much more beloved) originals. Of course, if they make a buck along the way, Disney sure won't mind. :smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

On 7/15/2019 at 9:53 PM, Caya said:

I've read somewhere that it's an IP thing, mostly. Disney's rights on the older Renaissance movies are about to run out apparently, meaning that anyone could then produce a cheap knock-off under the same name. So now they're doing those live-action remakes, and could then claim that their rights on those are infringed on, not the (usually much more beloved) originals. Of course, if they make a buck along the way, Disney sure won't mind. :smile:

Interesting! 

Actually, unpopular opinion incoming, I really appreciate lots of the remakes. Maybe because I was never a real Disney fan. I like the old films as musicals but the artwork, especially the character design, was never my thing. I find the "realistic" images more visually pleasing. And some changes to the plots were improvements imho. 

My favorite so far is Cinderella 2015. I LOVE that film. If her dress hadn't looked so cheap and plastic-y, it would have been almost a 10 out of 10 for me. 

I saw Moana the other day. Liked it well enough but just can't warm up to those flat Barbie doll faces with the huge eyes that they are doing now. 

On 7/17/2019 at 2:10 AM, T.o.b.y said:

Actually, unpopular opinion incoming, I really appreciate lots of the remakes. Maybe because I was never a real Disney fan.

That probably is why.  My dad prefers them too and I think it’s mostly because he has no childhood nostalgia connected to the animated films.  Like I said about the “Aladdin” remake, if I pretended that the animated one never existed and take it as its own thing, it’s not a bad movie.  But when I was a kid, at home or in daycare, I was plopped down in front of the TV for hours at a time, usually with a choice of Disney films.  They became my familiar friends, so I’m prone to be more critical of their treatment than someone who didn’t like or watch a lot of Disney as a kid.

I have the experience of being on the opposite side with “Star Wars”.  I didn’t love the originals and actually enjoy the prequels from the early 2000’s more, but that’s basically sacrilege, lol.  I suspect any suggestion of remaking the originals would incite a riot.  Or at least a furious Twitter storm.  :P 

Anyway, going back to the Disney remakes, I don’t hate them all.  “Cinderella” has been remade so many times that I don’t even care how they do it, lol.  “Maleficent” was so different from “Sleeping Beauty”, with such a different premise, that it didn’t really feel like a remake (if in fact it was meant to be).  I thought “The Jungle Book” remake was pretty well done overall, it’s probably my favorite so far.  I think a live action “Hercules”, “Tarzan”, “Tangled”, or “Brave” could be good, if done right.  A lot of the newer ones would lend themselves to live action better than the classics (but I realize that’s not the point).  My biggest beef with the Disney remakes is that I’m just tired of remakes in general, and annoyed with them on principle because they’re lazy.  I’d much rather see an original work than a remake of anything.

They keep remaking the good films too, that’s the other thing.  (Speaking of remakes in general now, not the Disney ones.)  Instead of remaking classic films that are still great and need no improvement, why don’t they remake films that sucked and do them better?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Artemis said:

That probably is why.  My dad prefers them too and I think it’s mostly because he has no childhood nostalgia connected to the animated films.  Like I said about the “Aladdin” remake, if I pretended that the animated one never existed and take it as its own thing, it’s not a bad movie.  But when I was a kid, at home or in daycare, I was plopped down in front of the TV for hours at a time, usually with a choice of Disney films.  They became my familiar friends, so I’m prone to be more critical of their treatment than someone who didn’t like or watch a lot of Disney as a kid.

I have the experience of being on the opposite side with “Star Wars”.  I didn’t love the originals and actually enjoy the prequels from the early 2000’s more, but that’s basically sacrilege, lol.  I suspect any suggestion of remaking the originals would incite a riot.  Or at least a furious Twitter storm.  :P 

Anyway, going back to the Disney remakes, I don’t hate them all.  “Cinderella” has been remade so many times that I don’t even care how they do it, lol.  “Maleficent” was so different from “Sleeping Beauty”, with such a different premise, that it didn’t really feel like a remake (if in fact it was meant to be).  I thought “The Jungle Book” remake was pretty well done overall, it’s probably my favorite so far.  I think a live action “Hercules”, “Tarzan”, “Tangled”, or “Brave” could be good, if done right.  A lot of the newer ones would lend themselves to live action better than the classics (but I realize that’s not the point).  My biggest beef with the Disney remakes is that I’m just tired of remakes in general, and annoyed with them on principle because they’re lazy.  I’d much rather see an original work than a remake of anything.

They keep remaking the good films too, that’s the other thing.  (Speaking of remakes in general now, not the Disney ones).  Instead of remaking classic films that are still great and need no improvement, why don’t they remake films that sucked and do them better?

Indeed! 

I would love to see live action Hercules and Tarzan though. The songs were great but the animation downright ungly imho. 

I have a bit of a thing for remakes and adaptations because I find it interesting to see what is changed and why. But I wouldn't watch a remake of anything I really loved either. Totally understand why you don't enjoy the new Disneys.