Recently watched movies

Yeah, I got a kick out of that one too.

One of my favorite scenes:    8dMjGFq.gif

• Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 3:10 PM, Arcadia said:

Just got home from seeing 1917. Easily one of the best movies I have seen in a long, long time. Horrific, yes, but in the way that a good war movie should be … not gory or sensationalized, but not glossing it over, either. Amazing cinematography, great soundtrack, good story. 

Oh, and both BC and Andrew Scott are in it for about 2 minutes each. They both do fine. :smile: 

The settings are exceptional as well. All those trenches, ruins. I feel the character's desperation and hope without him needing to say much.

Does it have some nominations because it deserves some! 

I do wish I didn't know Andrew and Ben are in it, it would be great surprise, but still happy to see them. The things about these two, especially Andrew, I could forget that he is Moriarty in different works that he is in, which is great and can't be said for many other actors. That is why I'm not really into RDJ Holmes, imo, he is the same person in many of his works, while Andrew and Ben have the ability to turn into their roles, which thankfully are diverse enough.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Does it have some nominations because it deserves some! 

Oh my yes, and it's already won a bunch of awards. I guess the most notable so far is the Golden Globes best picture award.

4 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I do wish I didn't know Andrew and Ben are in it, it would be great surprise, but still happy to see them. The things about these two, especially Andrew, I could forget that he is Moriarty in different works that he is in, which is great and can't be said for many other actors. That is why I'm not really into RDJ Holmes, imo, he is the same person in many of his works, while Andrew and Ben have the ability to turn into their roles, which thankfully are diverse enough.

I didn't know Andrew was in it, it was fun to see him. Ben was in some of the ads, so no chance of a surprise there.

Finally got to watch Star wars IX, I went in with low expectations because a lot of people seemed to hate it and then I got spoilered which made me dread seeing the movie. That being said, it was alright but I understand why people dislike it. Spoilers/ranting below:

- Just how is it possible that Palpatine is alive? The movie never answers that question! Also this is the second time we thought a Sith was dead only to reveal he actually wasn't, first Darth Maul in Solo now Palpatine in this movie, can the Sith just STAY dead for once?

- It also doesn't answer any questions regarding the Final Order and how an entire fleet was built during all those decades without anyone noticing when everyone thought Palpatine was dead

- Nor does it answers any questions regarding Rey's parents, what their names were and why Palpatine's son didn't want to step in his father's footsteps. But my guess is that he met a woman, fell in love, and eloped with her.

- Remember in the last movie where we saw Rey in search for answers regarding her parents and past and Kylo Ren was like "They were nobodies." Well this movie makes Rey Palpatine's granddaughter, which makes me wonder who was desperate enough to screw Palpatine

- Just what was Finn trying to tell her? My mom thought he was going to confess his feelings to her, but J.J. Abrams said he was going to say he was force sensitive

- As mentioned before by someone else, the fact that they did reduced Rose Tico's role because J.J. Abrams had to pander to the racists

- The fact that Jannah and Zorii were introduced solely to imply that they were going to be the future love interests of Finn and Poe respectively, can we just have ONE non romantic movie where we don't have forced romance?

- I'm kind of confused by the whole wayfinder/dagger thing, as you need both. The wayfinder to reach the planet and the dagger to find Palpatine, sooo HOW did Kylo Ren find Palpatine without the dagger? I'm guessing Palpatine gave directions through telepathy

- The sheer idiocy on Rey's part by not letting Kylo Ren die and healing him instead

- Ben Solo brought Rey from the death because God forbid Mary Sue dies

- The fact that EVERY Skywalker is now dead while the Palpatine line lives on in Rey, so basically the villain won in a way. Which is pretty bleak, I just hope Rey doesn't become Palpatine 2.0 just like Kylo Ren became Vader 2.0

- I liked the cameos from all the Jedi, but I kind of wanted to see more of Lando, especially since he was absent from the 2 previous films

I'm giving it a 5/10

• Like 1

Thanks for the spoiler box … my students were encouraging me to go see it, just to sort of wrap things up, so I may give it a try yet. Can't generate much enthusiasm for spending that much money on a movie I think I won't like, though. Could wait til it's out on video......

I wasn't expecting much from Star Wars IX, so it turned out better than I expected.  I don't personally see any major holes -- after all, this entire series follows in the footsteps of those old Saturday-matinee series, so there are bound to be a few things that happen just because the plot needs them (plus I can see ways to patch most of the holes by assuming that certain things happened off-camera).  It was an ambitious script, attempting to tie up just about every loose end in the entire series; I think they did at least as well as could be expected -- certainly better than I expected!

I thought there was some nice foreshadowing -- none of which tipped me off at the time, but did reassure me (after the fact) that the followup was indeed there for a reason.  And one thing happened that I'd been halfway expecting even though "everyone" knew it wouldn't happen, and I thought they handled it very nicely.  :D   So all in all, I liked it.  After only the one viewing, I'd give it a solid 6/10.  (I often grow fonder of movies after subsequent viewings, but time will tell.)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2020 at 5:20 PM, Arcadia said:
Thanks for the spoiler box … my students were encouraging me to go see it, just to sort of wrap things up, so I may give it a try yet. Can't generate much enthusiasm for spending that much money on a movie I think I won't like, though. Could wait til it's out on video......

you're welcome .

Saw Bad boys for life, it was pretty much what I expected: loads of action, unrealistic stunts and illegal ways to do an investigation that definitely would have Mike fired in real life. Also, is it me or did Martin Lawrence gained weight since the last movie? That being said, I'm quite proud that two Belgians directed the film so I'm giving the movie a 7/10.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The last movie I watched on cinema is The Gentlemen, I like it. It's fun, well written and there are excellent acting performance. Hugh Grant is really believable as this sleazy opportunist and I like Charlie Hunnam's character a lot. There are quite a lot lol moments, enjoyed the direction, settings and dialogues. 8/10

Another random movie: Another Version of You, telling a story about a man's quest to find the girl of his dream in parallel universe when the 'original' one married to someone's else. It seems like those flicks, but surprisingly, there are a lot more to it, and will get you thinking a lot of how sad the reality on in this case, fiction reality is. Feeling generous for 8 today.

10 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Another Version of You, telling a story about a man's quest to find the girl of his dream in parallel universe when the 'original' one married to someone's else. It seems like those flicks, but surprisingly, there are a lot more to it, and will get you thinking a lot of how sad the reality on in this case, fiction reality is.

Have you ever seen The Good Night?  Its plot is kind of a variation on that theme, and it's also a thought-provoking movie.  And the man is played by Martin Freeman.

Note:  Some people like to leave the theater (or I suppose turn off the DVD) as soon as a movie starts to wrap up -- but if you do that with The Good Night, you'll miss a key plot element.  It ain't over till it's over!

• Thanks 1

A bit like the Marvel franchise then...

or more pertinently: can't remember if I told you all this-

I used to chat with a sweet girl on Twitter.

She missed the fact that Sherlock was still alive, cos she had to run to the loo before the end of TRF!

• Haha 1

My sister somehow missed it too.  "I'm so excited about the next season of Sherlock" says I. "Huh? But he's dead!" says my sis. Apparently she didn't watch it to the end.

On 3/28/2020 at 2:01 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

The last movie I watched on cinema is The Gentlemen, I like it. It's fun, well written and there are excellent acting performance. Hugh Grant is really believable as this sleazy opportunist and I like Charlie Hunnam's character a lot. There are quite a lot lol moments, enjoyed the direction, settings and dialogues. 8/10

That was one I wanted to see, glad to hear it's a keeper.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2020 at 12:09 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Have you ever seen The Good Night?  Its plot is kind of a variation on that theme, and it's also a thought-provoking movie.  And the man is played by Martin Freeman.

I have been trying to search for it, but so far what I find are The Good: Doctor, Dinosaur, Place, Fight, Liar, Neighbor, Lie, Cop, Guy, Shepherd,.. and couple of others I can't remember but there is no The Good Night, it cracked me up though, there are so many options but not the one I am looking for. Or maybe I really can't source it. Too bad, I am actually intrigued, can't remember watching anything else by Martin Freeman except, ugh, Black Panther. Where was he in the End Game anyway? Everyone else was around!

Frozen 2

Personally, I consider it a slight improvement on the previous movie. Although I got the feeling they didn't know what to do with Kristoff. I give it a 8/10.

I have been trying to search for it, but so far what I find are The Good: Doctor, Dinosaur, Place, Fight, Liar, Neighbor, Lie, Cop, Guy, Shepherd,.. and couple of others I can't remember but there is no The Good Night, it cracked me up though, there are so many options but not the one I am looking for. Or maybe I really can't source it. Too bad, I am actually intrigued, can't remember watching anything else by Martin Freeman except, ugh, Black Panther. Where was he in the End Game anyway? Everyone else was around!
I found it though, it's a movie from 2007. As for Endgame, they put a lot of people in it, and the amount of screentime of certain people have been criticised ever since the movie came out. Personally, I think they did a good job.

23 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

have been trying to search for it, but so far what I find are The Good: Doctor, Dinosaur, Place, Fight, Liar, Neighbor, Lie, Cop, Guy, Shepherd,.. and couple of others I can't remember but there is no The Good Night....

I take it that you've been hunting for it on the streaming services?  As FL said, it came out in 2007, so some of them may have dropped it by now, but it is on Amazon Prime Video (I don't know whether you need to be a Prime member to access that, though, or even whether that service is available outside the US); it's also available on DVD from Amazon US (and probably from some other Amazons as well).

I see that it's listed as a dramedy, but I guess that depends on your definition of humor.  I'd call it a quirky drama.

I've watched The Day After, because it was included in Prime. Geeez, this movie aged terribly. It's not even the bad SFX, but the make-up and cheesy dialogues, not even the cast - actually very good actors - can save it. But I still remember the enormous impact it had.

1 hour ago, J.P. said:

I've watched The Day After, because it was included in Prime. Geeez, this movie aged terribly. It's not even the bad SFX, but the make-up and cheesy dialogues, not even the cast - actually very good actors - can save it. But I still remember the enormous impact it had.

Is that the one about life after a nuclear war? I watched it again a few years ago and I agree that it didn't age well. Thematically it's fine but the general acting level is not up to much. I do remember seeing it in the 80s when we were still under the threat of nuclear war and it was scary then.

Deathgasm. A horror/comedy film from New Zealand. A teenage metal band finds a song that will open a portal to Hell and summons demons. Fairly low budget effects and a young unknown cast, but that's part of the charm. It was mildly humorous and not even a little scary but the combination was enough to propel the film along. Something you'll watch once and never again. Still, I applaud their effort.

4 hours ago, Sheerluck said:

Thematically it's fine but the general acting level is not up to much.

Acting styles seem to be evolving.  I would say "improving," because that's how it seems to me, but the truth is probably that more actors are now using the sort of naturalistic style that I prefer to watch, and that viewers who prefer bombast are probably disappointed.

I'd had very fond memories of a late 70's TV show called Quincy, about a medical examiner who (of course!) solves crimes.  So we recently bought the first-season DVD, but found, much to my chagrin, that it's barely watchable.  There's just an awful lot of shouting-for-no-apparent-reason, what I'd call soap-opera acting.  But I don't recall the shouting, I remember it as a riveting drama (though I do recall it tending toward diatribe-of-the-week in later seasons)  I don't think we watched more than the first few episodes.  Bleh.

23 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I take it that you've been hunting for it on the streaming services?  As FL said, it came out in 2007, so some of them may have dropped it by now, but it is on Amazon Prime Video (I don't know whether you need to be a Prime member to access that, though, or even whether that service is available outside the US); it's also available on DVD from Amazon US (and probably from some other Amazons as well).

Amazon has been cancelling a lot of delivery order and I have read a quite a lot of undesirable articles about how they are handling this Covid19 situation.

Yes I was hunting from my streaming service, it is weird sometimes, they could have a very old or very random movie, but some others are not available. Just like I wanted to watch Life is Beautiful (La Vita e' Bella) which I have watched multiple times (one of my fave) but it's not available.

23 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I see that it's listed as a dramedy, but I guess that depends on your definition of humor.  I'd call it a quirky drama.

From your description, it sounds like something I would enjoy.

On 4/4/2020 at 5:34 PM, Fantasy Lover said:

I found it though, it's a movie from 2007. As for Endgame, they put a lot of people in it, and the amount of screentime of certain people have been criticised ever since the movie came out. Personally, I think they did a good job.

I agree, I thought we at least see him at the ending where random faces appears for some milliseconds and I have been missing John Watson. But I'm biased :)

17 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Amazon has been cancelling a lot of delivery order

Yeah, I suppose anything they're sourcing from a "non-essential" business will need to wait, once their warehouse runs out of it.  So far (*knock on wood*) we haven't had any problems, though I did see that some vitamins I was planning to get are on backorder.

I see that The Good Night is also available for download (buy or rent) from YouTube Movies.

4 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Yeah, I suppose anything they're sourcing from a "non-essential" business will need to wait, once their warehouse runs out of it. 

In a way I'm glad to hear that. Amazon's had such a devastating impact on small business in this area, I hated to see them get a leg up during this virus thing. But if they're struggling just as much .... well, good. They don't need any extra advantage! :D 

I was just reading somebody's opinion (wish I could recall even what sort of article it was in) that this crisis is likely to bring about some long-term changes, such as more people working from home, more countries opting to source key supplies domestically, perhaps even more cottage industries.  But seeing as how Amazon -- in addition to its own business -- provides its customers with an introduction to many smaller businesses (its "marketplace sellers"), I don't think we'll see it go away any time soon.

I just ordered a used cookbook from a bookseller I'd never heard of -- via Amazon.

I was thinking storefront. Actually, storefronts of any size are struggling, but the small storefront business is almost done for in this area. There's two or three downtown that have managed to survive, chiefly through customer loyalty ... the rest last 1-3 years and disappear. The strip malls are now about 95% restaurants or services, almost no retail left at all. It's pretty disenheartening ... if you happen to like that kind of shopping, which I do. 

Interestingly enough, two of the most successful businesses in town are the used bookstores. Still haven't figured that one out. Except maybe that the price for a new book, even from Amazon, is so high now.

22 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Interestingly enough, two of the most successful businesses in town are the used bookstores. Still haven't figured that one out. Except maybe that the price for a new book, even from Amazon, is so high now.

You got it!  Can't think when I last bought a book from anywhere except a used-book store or Amazon.