Recently watched movies

3 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I was just reading somebody's opinion (wish I could recall even what sort of article it was in) that this crisis is likely to bring about some long-term changes, such as more people working from home, more countries opting to source key supplies domestically, perhaps even more cottage industries. 

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I was thinking storefront.

I think this pandemic could be a catalyst for major change, storefronts are already threatened even before. 

What are the possible interesting change scenarios that we could speculate?

Will we be able to have virtual shopping experience? Will employers require some kind of work chip so we can communicate and again, work virtually (I have to say it's difficult to imagine working from home for a long period in my previous job. I had to explain what I do to various level of people that have almost zero understanding, so I had to use various mean from digital to physical explanation to actual physical demonstration and supervision. It wouldn't work well from home in current technology)

Will we have improved and modernized grocery shopping system, even more than now? And especially, improvement of everything in health care sector and risk management of traffic control, food distributions and globalized Standard Operation Procedure for everything?

My concern, it seems like it's pretty likely that having some kind of chip will be the future way. Imagine that it's easier to track down connectivity, providing essential needs and cutting down unwanted behaviour (hoarding and opportunists for example).

A positive outcome I'd want to have is cutting down (very significantly) of unnecessary stuffs. (Not sorry don't hit me with fur coat and oversized hat) Fashion, for example, we need to stop creating the needs for new clothing that we don't need, that fill up our landfill and killing people who work like slave in third world country to fatten the pocket of luxury or mass fashion. This is the expenses that we don't need that could be utilized for many other things. Also, stop making easily breakable things for profit and make something that could be upgraded for years instead.

Oops, this is a very very wrong thread.

10 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

My concern, it seems like it's pretty likely that having some kind of chip will be the future way.

You mean an ID chip, like we can have implanted in our pets?  Gah, I hope not!  Federal ID cards, yeah, it's just about come to that already.

• Like 1

I watched "The Rise of Skywalker" again, and liked it much better this time than I did the first time (now that I know what to be disappointed about).  My original issues with it haven't really changed, but I can more or less forget them now and just enjoy the rest of the movie.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

You mean an ID chip, like we can have implanted in our pets?

That contains a loooot of information. I have feeling that that is inevitable, in the future.

I wouldn't be surprised if government find a way to get everyone's DNA information, to prevent/cure/preparation/other justifications for pandemic.

To respond to Artemis's post (but I know almost nothing about Star Wars) and on topic and current situation, here is:

corona-jokes-225-5e847598c90f4-700.jpg

• Like 3

That contains a loooot of information. I have feeling that that is inevitable, in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if government find a way to get everyone's DNA information, to prevent/cure/preparation/other justifications for pandemic.

They did a survey here based on a test they did in the UK. They "implanted" a virus with a woman and tracked her and the people she saw and then everyone those people saw etc, the point of the test was to see how many people a virus kills without things like a lockdown. spoiler alert, it was like 43k people. The survey contained the question of whether we were okay with an app tracking us in time of a pandemic, so basically they know who sees who and that will be how we find our patient zero and how we know who's infected. I would be impressed but I'm worried about the privacy and the persons infected, I hope people won't get hostile.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Fantasy Lover said:

The survey contained the question of whether we were okay with an app tracking us in time of a pandemic, so basically they know who sees who and that will be how we find our patient zero and how we know who's infected.

Let's suppose that I'm infected and I visit you.  That does not mean that you're infected -- it simply means that you could be infected.  And even if you are infected, it doesn't prove that you caught it from me; it could have been from a doorknob somewhere.  Are they planning to put sensors on all doorknobs?

I am quite frankly amazed by how well most people are behaving themselves, simply because the situation has been explained and they've been told to do (or not do) certain things.  There will always be a few chuckleheads, but by and large the current system is working very well.  Of course it's not perfect, but nothing in this world is perfect.  If the tracking system proposed by that survey were actually implemented, it'd turn out to have loopholes, just like everything else, and it would cost a whole lot more than the current system.  (Plus, as you seem to suspect, it could be used for all sorts of Orwellian purposes.)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2020 at 10:58 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Let's suppose that I'm infected and I visit you.  That does not mean that you're infected -- it simply means that you could be infected.  And even if you are infected, it doesn't prove that you caught it from me; it could have been from a doorknob somewhere.

I believe the system could be useful in term of tracking who could be at risk and needed to be quarantine. Tracking contact is what many countries do when they try to limit the spreading. It's probably very difficult now, but initially when the case was just single or double digit, it's very relevant. Just like the Sydney's cruise hunt.

On 4/7/2020 at 4:51 PM, Fantasy Lover said:

I would be impressed but I'm worried about the privacy and the persons infected,

Yes, not only for infected, having this system will certainly invite a lot of privacy problems, tremendously I supposed, as everything with digital footprint can be hacked and misused, and as many things, the misuses are often come from those that we are supposed to trust, like government or the technology providers. Maybe that's why it's still difficult to implement, it's very questionable ethically. I wouldn't want it, but could see the benefit and 'reasoning' that one day we will be forced to use it, mark my words. And by that time, it would seem like a natural progression that probably draw little to no opposition because we will already been controlled in most aspects of our lives anyway.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:
On 4/7/2020 at 10:58 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Let's suppose that I'm infected and I visit you.  That does not mean that you're infected -- it simply means that you could be infected.  And even if you are infected, it doesn't prove that you caught it from me; it could have been from a doorknob somewhere.

I believe the system could be useful in term of tracking who could be at risk and needed to be quarantine. Tracking contact is what many countries do when they try to limit the spreading. It's probably very difficult now, but initially when the case was just single or double digit, it's very relevant. Just like the Sydney's cruise hunt.

They're sort of doing that anyway, aren't they? Back when this started in the States, I remember on the news them talking about how they'd identified a certain person as the source of the infection. I assume they did it by asking the sick person who'd they'd been in contact with and where. The sick person might have got it from a doorknob, but it eliminates having to search random people/places for the source. 

But I'm not keen on the idea of electronic tracking either. Too easy to abuse.

On a slightly different note, I had to run out for cat litter yesterday, and just went up to the store around the corner from me. They were taking no precautions at all that I could see. Formerly I'd been going to the Target a bit aways, and was impressed; they were only letting people in one at a time, they were sterilizing the shopping carts and checkout lines after every use, etc. Needless to say I won't be going back to the local store for awhile.

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

went up to the store around the corner from me. They were taking no precautions at all that I could see. Formerly I'd been going to the Target a bit aways, and was impressed; they were only letting people in one at a time, they were sterilizing the shopping carts and checkout lines after every use, etc. Needless to say I won't be going back to the local store for awhile.

Yeah, we're seeing a wide range of safety programs around here too.  Yesterday I had a followup medical exam, and the clinic gave me a mask to wear, which of course they let me keep.  Then we went to the health-food store, and we decided what the heck, let's wear our masks (Alex had a bandanna in the car), and found that virtually everyone else was too, including the staff and the owner.

Then we went to the regular grocery, and about all I happened to notice was an employee disinfecting a cart handle as each customer came in.  That grocery chain had notified us a few days ago that some of their stores would be limiting access to a certain number of people at a time, but this one was packed.  Since they're by far the best and/or only local source for certain things, I suspect our best bet will be to go earlier in the day -- though of course with so many people not going to work, that may not help as much as it normally would.

That's interesting, I'm actually seeing fewer people in the stores here. Although maybe we have more stores ... there's at least five within fifteen minutes of me. But the roads are almost empty, too. It's all very post-apocalyptic. 🤯

15 hours ago, Arcadia said:

They're sort of doing that anyway, aren't they? Back when this started in the States, I remember on the news them talking about how they'd identified a certain person as the source of the infection. I assume they did it by asking the sick person who'd they'd been in contact with and where. The sick person might have got it from a doorknob, but it eliminates having to search random people/places for the source. 

Yes indeed, imagine how easy and accurate it could be done with tracking.

15 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Agree. Unless maybe, just maybe, the pro outweigh the cons. For example, if it could improve welfare, health assistance, crime prevention, education and less administrative work and tax filling, by all mean, plant me. 

16 hours ago, Arcadia said:

On a slightly different note, I had to run out for cat litter yesterday, and just went up to the store around the corner from me. They were taking no precautions at all that I could see.

Yes it drives me a little bit too nutty. The other day I dropped laundry of bed sheets (can't handle this, regular clothes I'm doing handwash now but bedsheets are not managable), they don't wear mask or any precaution and handle customer's stuff in close range. I mean.. it's dirty laundry of strangers. When I dropped by small grocery store, they do the same, no visible precaution and they handle cash etc with close proximity.

Well, as mentioned, I'm probably more on extreme side. It's easier to explain that I treat every outside contacts as if, sorry, something shitty. I'm hovering like a lunatic and douse myself with whatever sanitizer or disinfectant everytime I come back to the car, and douse the car after, and go for total shower. I quarantine or wash the stuff I bought, I don't care if some say it's unnecessary and you should see how I treat and handle my mask. So going out is a little bit more stressful to me, and seeing people ignoring precaution drives me nut. I actually saw people picking nose on traffic light (riding motorcycle) and wanted to soak them with alcohol.

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

That's interesting, I'm actually seeing fewer people in the stores here. Although maybe we have more stores ... there's at least five within fifteen minutes of me. But the roads are almost empty, too. It's all very post-apocalyptic

Yes, sometimes I regret watching too many of those movies. I went for a drive around to survey road closure and it's..sad. The usual lively area is now like a dead town. Most shops are closed, few people on the street and only essential shops seemed in operation and there were only few people inside too, most were delivery services.

5 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:
22 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Agree. Unless maybe, just maybe, the pro outweigh the cons. For example, if it could improve welfare, health assistance, crime prevention, education and less administrative work and tax filling, by all mean, plant me. 

Hmmmm, not me. I trust government more than most people I know, but not that much.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I quarantine or wash the stuff I bought, I don't care if some say it's unnecessary and you should see how I treat and handle my mask. So going out is a little bit more stressful to me, and seeing people ignoring precaution drives me nut. I actually saw people picking nose on traffic light (riding motorcycle) and wanted to soak them with alcohol.

Everyone's hands are probably germy, even in the best of times.  I try to be careful, especially these days -- but even so, I catch myself doing enough questionable things that I sure wouldn't swear my hands are clean, even right after I wash them (because I can't absolutely swear that the towel is germ-free).  Note: I reserve the right to define the terms: I am careful; certain other people are obsessive.

As for quarantining or washing purchased items, yeah, we've been doing that for a couple of weeks now.  And everything that comes in the mail has to sit on the bench by the door until the next day.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 7:53 PM, Arcadia said:

Hmmmm, not me. I trust government more than most people I know, but not that much.

I'm trying to emphasize how much I hate tax filling and administrative chores. :D

This comes from someone who has masking tape on every camera on every devices.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I'm trying to emphasize how much I hate tax filling and administrative chores. :D

This comes from someone who has masking tape on every camera on every devices.

I don't mind filing tax. It's keeping (and finding) all the paperwork I need to support my deductions that tortures me. Personally, I think they should just take my word for it. :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that I forgot to post my review of Jumanji: the next level. Oops, time to post it then. Jumanji: the next level 8/10
It was a good sequel, which you can't say for several movies. There are new characters: Milo and Eddie, who are elderly and possibly have dementia. It's also possible that we're going to have a sequel, so I hope the next movie will also be good and hopefully the last because I really hope they aren't going to milk it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

"Just Mercy".  (I'd wanted to see it in the theater, but didn't make it before the shutdown.)  Very sad, but very good.  It's a free rental on Amazon Prime right now.

8 hours ago, SherLOCKED123 said:

I watched Frozen 2 with my niece last night

What did you (and your niece) think of it?

• Like 1

Thanks for that info, @SherLOCKED123

By the way, I see that you made those two posts about a minute apart, presumably because you posted the first one and immediately realized that you hadn't said everything you wanted to say.  In cases like that (where very little time has elapsed), you can simply edit your first post to include the additional information.  Just click the Edit button in the row above your signature quote, make whatever additions, deletions, or changes you want, then click the Save button, which will update your post.

I've been known to edit a post several times.

• Thanks 1