Recently watched movies

On 8/27/2021 at 8:15 PM, DistantView said:

What is your favorite 007 film?

I don't have any, because I don't think I watched any other than Octopussy (wait is it really the title?  Checked, oh my god, IT IS! :lol5:)

Not sure why, but for some reason I watched it more than one time when I was a child in my relative's house. They watched all sort of things in front of everyone, including horrors and mature movies. That's why I disliked going there. I also remember one of the villains, someone with silver/metal teeth?? It terrified me a lot as a child and my brother used it to extort me to do chores for him.

So yah, I can't say I like James Bond movies, but it's not a fair assessment as I don't really watch them.

Just watched Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile. I have to say, Zac Effron really earns my respect over time, he is growing as an actor and his performance here is so good. But that is maybe the only thing I like about this movie. Okay, other than that, the styles and settings are good.

What doesn't work for me, maybe it's very intentional by the creator, is I don't really know how evil this guy is from the movie. I read about serial killers and crimes, I know his name, but I never actually know what he did as I hadn't read more about him. And this is from someone who enjoy the genre.

While I fully understand that highlighting his crime is not the intention of the movie maker, there should be a good balance between that and portraying his so-called good look and charms. So by the time I finished watching the movie, I thought okay, he is 'quite' a regular serial killer, with a bit of craziness/kink. Of course I have to factor in that I could be distracted during some details when they tried to emphasize on that, but it's treated almost as unimportant brush-offs and it's probably just a couple of seconds scenes.  

SO, after the movie, as usual, I decided to do some reading and good god! This man is horrible, his crimes are so sick and terrifying. With all those, I think it's almost WRONG that it's not portrayed clearly in the movie. It can be done without them being exploitative but audience should know that this is not a villain to root for, frigging at all. Don't spend  90% of the movie showing that he is.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've seen a lot of movies last month, time to review them all

Spiderman no way home 8/10

This whole movie could have been prevented if that entire conversation went like this: Dr Strange "I'm going to cast a spell that makes the entire world forget that Spiderman is Peter Parker." Peter Parker: "Okay, but I would like that a few people still know that." "Sure, no problem." But it was nice to see the old villains again.

Ghostbusters afterlife 8/10

This movie ignores the the third one, it was nice to see

the remaining Ghostbusters of the first and second movie

Eternals 7/10

I definitely have seen too much Star Trek because they visit earth in 5000 BC and I was like WHAT ABOUT THE PRIME DERECTIVE!? This movie does a good job dividing it's screen time between all the actors, it's also the first marvel movie to have 

two characters having coitus and a gay main character 

Venom let there be carnage 4/10

I didn't like the first movie and I didn't like this movie, I only went because venom is going to be part of the MCU and friend was going to pay the tickets.

• Thanks 1

On 2/2/2020 at 11:07 AM, Fantasy Lover said:

Finally got to watch Star wars IX, I went in with low expectations because a lot of people seemed to hate it and then I got spoilered which made me dread seeing the movie. That being said, it was alright but I understand why people dislike it. Spoilers/ranting below:

Hide contents

- Just how is it possible that Palpatine is alive? The movie never answers that question! Also this is the second time we thought a Sith was dead only to reveal he actually wasn't, first Darth Maul in Solo now Palpatine in this movie, can the Sith just STAY dead for once?

- It also doesn't answer any questions regarding the Final Order and how an entire fleet was built during all those decades without anyone noticing when everyone thought Palpatine was dead

- Nor does it answers any questions regarding Rey's parents, what their names were and why Palpatine's son didn't want to step in his father's footsteps. But my guess is that he met a woman, fell in love, and eloped with her.

- Remember in the last movie where we saw Rey in search for answers regarding her parents and past and Kylo Ren was like "They were nobodies." Well this movie makes Rey Palpatine's granddaughter, which makes me wonder who was desperate enough to screw Palpatine

- Just what was Finn trying to tell her? My mom thought he was going to confess his feelings to her, but J.J. Abrams said he was going to say he was force sensitive

- As mentioned before by someone else, the fact that they did reduced Rose Tico's role because J.J. Abrams had to pander to the racists

- The fact that Jannah and Zorii were introduced solely to imply that they were going to be the future love interests of Finn and Poe respectively, can we just have ONE non romantic movie where we don't have forced romance?

- I'm kind of confused by the whole wayfinder/dagger thing, as you need both. The wayfinder to reach the planet and the dagger to find Palpatine, sooo HOW did Kylo Ren find Palpatine without the dagger? I'm guessing Palpatine gave directions through telepathy

- The sheer idiocy on Rey's part by not letting Kylo Ren die and healing him instead

- Ben Solo brought Rey from the death because God forbid Mary Sue dies

- The fact that EVERY Skywalker is now dead while the Palpatine line lives on in Rey, so basically the villain won in a way. Which is pretty bleak, I just hope Rey doesn't become Palpatine 2.0 just like Kylo Ren became Vader 2.0

- I liked the cameos from all the Jedi, but I kind of wanted to see more of Lando, especially since he was absent from the 2 previous films

I'm giving it a 5/10

Okay, I finally got around to seeing this movie, and I'm afraid I disliked it just as much as I was afraid I would. I agree with every one of your points, Fantasy. What a waste.

I still like Rey immensely, though. But her story doesn't make a lot of sense.

Spoiler

And why she goes kissing Kylo is totally beyond me.

And I'm afraid I never saw much point in any of the other characters, although I rather like both Finn and Rose. But they didn't have anything interesting to do.

*sigh* 

Looking on the bright side, there was a

Spoiler

cameo from Han Solo --

... literally the least they could do after

Spoiler

gratuitously killing him off in the previous movie.

:P

• Like 2

On 1/3/2022 at 12:24 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Looking on the bright side, there was a

Hide contents

cameo from Han Solo --

... literally the least they could do after

Hide contents

gratuitously killing him off in the previous movie.

:P

Yeah, but y'know, it felt like pandering. Ah well.

5 hours ago, Arcadia said:

it felt like pandering

Hey, I'll take it!

At least it was nicely done pandering.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, did I forget to mention ... a friend and I took out lives into our hands :D and went to an actual theater to see West Side Story. I think I enjoyed the experience of being in a theater again more than the actual movie, but if you like musicals, it's worth seeing. The music is just as wonderful as ever. Some of the casting was a little off, imo. A little too much exposition in several places. Some nice cinematography, though, and, well, GREAT music.

11 hours ago, Arcadia said:

a friend and I took out lives into our hands :D and went to an actual theater to see West Side Story

The original?  (Please don't tell me somebody has done a remake!)

Been a while since I saw it (probably back when it was first in the theaters), but near as I recall, I agree with your assessment.  I might be able to enjoy it even nowadays if I think of it as a combination ballet/opera -- otherwise the sight of gang members leaping about and bursting into song . . . .

And I must say, Marni Nixon always did a terrific job of dubbing the lead actress's singing.

20 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

The original?  (Please don't tell me somebody has done a remake!)

Been a while since I saw it (probably back when it was first in the theaters), but near as I recall, I agree with your assessment.  I might be able to enjoy it even nowadays if I think of it as a combination ballet/opera -- otherwise the sight of gang members leaping about and bursting into song . . . .

And I must say, Marni Nixon always did a terrific job of dubbing the lead actress's singing.

Oh my, where have YOU been? :D Yes, Spielberg's done a remake. I'm not sure why, as the original was superlative, but there you go. I guess if you want a musical in your resume, you might as well shoot for the greatest.

You remind me of the story my mom told me about my grandmother, when they went to see the original back in the 60's. If you recall, it starts like a drama, no hint that it's a musical, until the Jets start dancing. My grandmother was thoroughly confused: "But why are they dancing?" She just couldn't wrap her head around the idea that it could be a Romeo&Juliet-style tragedy and a musical at the same time. :smile: 

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Oh my, where have YOU been? :D Yes, Spielberg's done a remake.

*sigh*  No surprise, I guess.  The thinking today seems to be, if the original was a big hit, let's film it all over again (so the teenagers will recognize the actors' names?).  Call me an old fogy, but I'm of the opinion that if it's already been done really well -- in widescreen color, even! -- then it's kinda silly to expend the effort to do it AGAIN, when the best you can presumably hope for is to be more or less as good as what's already available on DVD / Blu-ray.

On the other hand, I guess it *has* been, good heavens, 60 years!  So some aspects of the original may seem a bit dated by now -- not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

She just couldn't wrap her head around the idea that it could be a Romeo&Juliet-style tragedy and a musical at the same time.

I can understand the concept just fine -- but that doesn't necessarily keep some of those scenes from seeming just a wee bit silly to me.  I might do better with a simple musical, without all the leaping.  Hmm, but then they'd want to make the fight scenes more realistic -- so never mind!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Watched The kingsman, it was nice to see the origin of the Kingsman but it was kind of insulting to see that WWI was started by a petty Scotsman with a grudge. I give it a 6/10

My hero academia world heroes mission 6/10

I'm not a fan of anime and certainly not shounen, what certainly didn't help was the fact that this was a movie of the anime and I felt like I missed a lot. So I watched the anime afterwards I was like WOW so many spoilers for the movie.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh let's see... I've seen "Death on the Nile", "Moonfall", "Uncharted", "Spiderman: No Way Home"...  All were just okay, nothing to write home about.  "Death on the Nile" was probably the best of them.  "Moonfall" wasn't as awful as everyone's making it out to be, and "No Way Home" wasn't as wonderful as everyone's making it out to be.  I actually thought it was rather... not good.  I absolutely loved the Spiderman team-up, it gave me all the good feels.  But that didn't quite make up for the plot, dialogue, and acting, all of which were subpar, in my opinion.

Might be seeing "The Batman" tomorrow, maybe that'll be good.

• 2 months later...

Secrets of Dumbledore 8/10

Well, this was better than the second one thankfully. I was really afraid it would be a disaster with the pandemic, Johnny Depp being recast, a minor character being cut out due to misconduct and Nagini being cut due the pregnancy of the actress.

But Mads portrayal is better than Johnny's, Bunty gets a bigger role than in the previous movie and there is a new character is the movie by name Eulalie. 

Minor nitpicking: it's still possible to Apperate in Hogwarts, McGonnagal is also in the movie despite not being born yet according to Pottermore, and the plot twist that

Credence is the son of Aberforth is lame

ETA I think this will be the last time we have a fantastic beasts movie: due the disappointing ticket sales, Ezra miller's misconduct and J.K.Rowling's transphobia.

Multiverse of madness 6/10

I was happy that Sam Raimi directed this movie, I was also happy with

the presence of Charles Xavier, Peggy Carter, Maria Rambeau and Reed Richards, I did not expect Blackagar Boltagon from inhumans to be there

despite that, I consider this movie not as good as the first, it feels mediocre, you can do better Marvel. Also, this whole movie could have been avoided if Doctor Strange cast a memory spell to make Wanda forget she had children.

12 hours ago, Fantasy Lover said:

McGonnagal is also in the movie despite not being born yet according to Pottermore

Odd.  And she's played by a 39-year-old actress, so she's not even still a kid.  Credited screenplay writers are Steve Kloves (who also co-wrote most of the original movies) and J. K. Rowling, who should both know the in-universe facts.

Do they say what year it's set it?

• 5 weeks later...

jurassic Park dominion

This was a worthy finale to the sequel trilogy and the franchise as a whole. It was nice to see the characters of the previous trilogy again, I give it a 9/10

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Fantasy Lover said:

jurassic Park dominion

This was a worthy finale to the sequel trilogy and the franchise as a whole. It was nice to see the characters of the previous trilogy again, I give it a 9/10

Just yesterday I saw this movie on the marquee of an old small-town theater, which I recall as one where your feet would kinda stick to the floor, but which I hear has now reinvented itself as some sort of special-occasion theater.

I think we'll wait for the DVD, though, since we'll want to get that anyhow.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

War movies aren't usually my thing, but this one has me intrigued.  I'll probably give it a watch when it comes out.  I'm hoping it'll be something like "1917", which was brilliant.

• 1 month later...
On 6/9/2022 at 2:49 AM, Fantasy Lover said:

jurassic Park dominion

I'm glad you enjoyed it because it was a totally different experience for me. I hope you don't mind that I'm about to thrash it.

I remember giving it a 2/10 rating when talking with my brother. 

The plot sucks, the characters are flats, and all previous actors are included for the sake of nostalgia but supported by a below-mediocre plot with an impossible amount of suspension of disbelief needed. The villain is one-dimensional and makes multiple stupid decisions; nothing supports his smart-villainous-strategic impression that the movie tries to sell him.

There are way too many recreations of the classic scenes that feel forced, the magic is gone, but they keep beating on the dead horse. Yeah, of course, there is an altruistic character that takes care of her own need but at the split second decides to help the protags and is willing to sacrifice everything. Of course, there is nothing to see; it's just a black market full of man-eating dinosaurs. There are barely any consequences and risks before and after the heroes decide to pay a visit. Yes, of course, one can always miraculously escape from everything, I said, everything without barely a scratch. Yes, we should support the redeeming character who doesn't think way beyond in front of his eyes about creating something devastating, and of course, it's effortless to solve the problem. And a little fire and combustion is the answer to all of the issues.

Gah! I could write two pages essay and was very tempted to.

10 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

The plot sucks, the characters are flats, and all previous actors are included for the sake of nostalgia but supported by a below-mediocre plot with an impossible amount of suspension of disbelief needed.

I haven't seen any of those movies except the first one (which wasn't bad), but my husband gave me a synopsis of the third one, and I fully agree with you.  Bleh.  When a story is over, please -- just -- STOP!

Likewise for Planet of the Apes.

Top gun maverick 4/10

Man this movie pissed me off, maybe because I didn't want to watch it. I only watched it because my dad wanted to watch it and it was his birthday. Anyway ranting below.

You know that kid that doesn't listens to you and push your buttons? Maverick is that kid, the movie starts with Maverick about embark on a solo mission only for the mission to be cancelled, guess who takes matters in his own hands and takes off illegally? You guessed it, Maverick. And he somehow survives the solo mission going badly because God forbid you don't have plot armour.

Oh and guess who gets a slap on the wrist and gets to train the main characters because he has friends in high places, you guessed it Maverick because God forbid you have lasting consequences.

And then there is a "impossible" mission the team needs accomplish and a training montage that takes up half of the movies runtime and of course they manage to succeed do and no one dies because God forbid they are casualties.

They only two good things that came out of this movie was that while it's a sequel to the first top gun you don't have to watch the first to know what happened because there is a flashback and the the actor who played goose kid really looked like his on screen dad.

• 1 month later...

Are there any upcoming movies that anyone is actually excited to see?  I want to go see a movie but I looked through the lineup and... ugh.  There's just nothing.  If you guys have some suggestions for promising potentials, I'd love to hear them!

2 hours ago, Artemis said:

Are there any upcoming movies that anyone is actually excited to see? 

Movies?  Are they still making those?  I gradually lost interest as they increasingly substituted sound volume for plots.  The franchises that might lure me back (despite generally being part of that trend) all seem to be either completed or on hiatus.

I would probably have gone to see the new Black Panther movie except that, sadly, the lead actor died.

Sorry I can't help you.  Ya wanna come over and watch some DVDs?

• Haha 1

I'm looking forward to: Ant-man and the wasp quantummania, the little mermaid remake, guardians of the galaxy 3, elemental, the marvels and Dune part 2.

• Thanks 1