Recently watched movies

This is exactly what you think it is and exactly what the title sais it is: A thread where you tell us, which movie you've seen lately and if you liked it and how much you liked it. You're also very welcome to write a review. I'd like to read some of yours.

• Like 1

As I already mentioned in a different thread, I've seen Deadpool and it was freaking awesome.

That movie nailed it!

Deadpool - 9/10

Recently watched: Brave. Liked it, very funny. Sweet in the way I like sweet, which is: not too.

Wolf of Wall Street.

It's crazy but good crazy. I think it holds record for number of F-word said in movie.

it's very long, I think three hourish, and based on true person and story. It's entertaining and again, crazy.

Watched 12 years of slave, also based on true story. It's sad and horrible, but if you think about it, this is probably just a sample of slavery story that is 'not so bad', and that is f-up.

I'd like to write more, but I don't know what I am doing here, it's very odd hour. My flight was delayed for six hours. Six hours!

But the street is nice and peaceful because no one is around. Need to get up in two, will either look like zombie or panda. Laterz.

Wolf of Wallstreet is a great movie. It's really crazy but I think Leo's performance is outstanding! He is doing an incredible job there (as usual) and really should have won that damn oscar for that role.

One more thing guys, would be really cool if you would give the movie you've watched a rating.

iMDB like ;)

It's just interesting to see how you rate a movie.

(For example:

Deadpool - 9/10

Inception - 10/10

Whatevermovieuwant 6.5/10)

Thanks.

Brave: 8/10 (as long as you already like that kind of thing)

Ooooh, I think I am going to like this thread!

I've seen a lot of Marvel superhero movies lately because people I like are into them and I find them very relaxing. A bit too relaxing, I am afraid - I couldn't for the life of me tell you what exactly happens in Thor / Iron Man / Avengers / you name it, so I don't think I can give a fair opinion on any of them. I think I liked Antman the best so far. Deadpool was fun - but only as long as he was Deadpool, I didn't really care that much about Wade.

The last film I saw at the cinema was Zootopia. And I enjoyed it a lot more than I had expected I would. Yeah, it was preachy, but it preached a message I liked and it was a bit different from older Disney / Pixar movies I remember. 7/10, I'd say. Maybe even 8/10, I'll have to wait until I can watch it a second time to decide. I really liked Judy and the fox and how their relationship developed (only I wish they had left romance out entirely there, I think they worked better as platonic friends).

I hope so. ;)

I think I liked Antman the best so far.

I really liked Ant Man too. It had a great sense of humor.

And apropos Marvel, I think I'll really like Captain America 3. Captain America 2 was great and the new one received great critics and viewer rating (at least on iMDB). Some even call it the best Marvel movie to yet.

Same here, I liked Zootopia far more than I thought I would. For some reason the preaching doesn't bother me when delivered by cute animals. :smile:

I'll give it a 9/10 ... only because I still like traditional animation better than computer generated.

On the other hand, I was very disappointed in the second Avengers movie, but I've only seen it once so I hesitate to rate it -- perhaps my expectations were too high, or I was in a bad mood, or something. But the first one -- heck, I'll give it a 10/10, because Josh Whedon is God. :p

I only saw Zootopia movie poster, it looks like computer generated? I mean it's 3d animation rite, not simpson kind (2d).

Wolf of Wall Street, I give it 8/10. I like that the story is told from character's point of view and how he sees himself, it's also explained now and then that his POV is not always accurate, especially when he is high. It helps to excuse the sometimes zaggy plotline and give audience room for own interpretation which is good. Everyone is hero in their own story, that is why pointing out his own inaccuracy makes it more believable to me.

12 years of slave. I don't know, I think I should like it more but I don't. Maybe I multi-tasked while I watched it, but normally, if it's captivating enough, I would prioritize and pay more attention, but no. Maybe the plot is jumpy, it would flow better with narration. It's 6.5/10 for me.

Dressmaker, it's colorful drama that looks like lighthearted movie but not really. I like that it's quite unusual and maybe it helps that I enjoy Kate Winslet's performance. 7.2/10.

Yes, computer generated. The voice acting was superlative.

I've seen a lot of Marvel superhero movies lately because people I like are into them and I find them very relaxing. A bit too relaxing, I am afraid - I couldn't for the life of me tell you what exactly happens in Thor / Iron Man / Avengers / you name it, so I don't think I can give a fair opinion on any of them. I think I liked Antman the best so far.

Wait, isn't Guardians of the Galaxy Marvel too? Okay, I take that back. I like Guardians the best. I recently saw that one for the second time and it engaged me much more than the others. 7/10 - but only because I am not likely to give a higher rating to a run of the mill superhero film. (I find this rating game difficult. What does 10 mean? Are we supposed to try and be objective? Because I know plenty of movies that I I consider very high quality but still don't enjoy much. Right now I am using 10 as "film I personally liked the very best of all films I have ever seen", i.e. I am going by my very personal opinion only).

Yes, Guardians of the Galaxy is Marvel too. And yes it's awesome.

It's your decision which movies you give a 10/10.

10 can mean 'this movie made everything right, it was what it wanted to be and was really really good in it', or it can mean 'this movie is simply one of the best movies' or whatever 10 means for you.

For example on iMDB, I gave movies like "Inception" "The dark Knight" "Pulp Fiction" etc. an 10/10 because they were just incredible good. They are one of the best movies, in my opinion. (even though I have to admit that I only watched Pulp Fiction once.)

(and damn how many times have I already mentioned iMDB ) :D

So, if I compare Guardians to what I would consider the "perfect" superhero film, I rate it higher - 9, I would say. It just compares unfavorably to other movies in my eyes because of the limitations of this particular genre.

Just in case anyone was wondering what a 10/10 film would be for me: Several Sherlock episodes, for example, like A Study in Pink and The Great Game. Also the movies "Pride" and "The Perks of Being a Wallflower". If we're talking fantasy, I would say "Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring". For Anime (yes, I have watched some Anime) it would be "Princess Mononoke" and if we're talking comedy, I choose the original British "The Office".

A 10 for me would be something like The Shawshank Redemption. But I also love something like Star Trek into Darkness, which I thought was brilliantly well done ... for escapism. But being escapism, does that actually make it a less good film? I don't know, it's hard to compare sometimes. But I guess I do rate "message" movies higher, all else being equal. (And when is all else ever equal! :d )

I would also rate, say, Schindler's List a 10, but I can't actually say I "liked" it ... more like, I survived it, I respect it, I'm humbled by it, and I will never watch it again because it's just too much to deliberately subject myself to more than once.

So, yeah, my ratings aren't very consistent. :d

Insomnia - 7/10

A not so famous and not so typicall Christopher Nolan movie (no mindf*ck).

Still a great thriller. Al Pacino, of course , does a great job, just like all other cast members.

From Nolan I still want to see more Mindbending movies.

• Like 1

Tonight I am going to watch Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. For the nth time. I will rate it ... surprise! ... 10/10. :)

Capitan America: Civil War 8/10 it was so funny, really, worth watching! (John is here :P and he is such a… self-confident jackass)

The Night Manager -  it’s a mini-series, but very interesting! Also Hugh Laurie is magnificent as a villain.

Big hero 6 – it was very touching movie, I hope there will be sequel of it. 

I tried watching the Night Manager but I just couldn't get into it and only survived two episodes. But I never have been much of a fan of Le Carre's work, I'm afraid. I don't know why ... even Tinker Tailor was only interesting to me because of the cast. There's something rather dry and cynical about Le Carre's stories that doesn't reach me, I guess.

Tinker Tailor was too complicated book to make it into a movie. There were so many things that happened only in characters' minds, and it was impossible to make it clear in the movie. For me The Night Manager was also not very interesting at the beginning, but it’s getting better and better. Don't give up on it :) And later in this series, there are some interesting international crimes mentioned! 

Btw, have you read “Our kind of traitor” or “The Constant Gardener”? These books of le Carre are masterpieces, really. I agree that this author is incredibly cynical,  but he writes about reality, not fairy tales. But those two books (maybe also “Russia house”) are full of action not only in characters' heads but also in plots! 

• Like 1

I like Insomnia. 

Haven't watched Guardian of The Galaxy, didn't know it's Marvel, I saw the poster and thought it's some kind of crappy fantasy movie bacause everyone looks weird, will give it a try.

Never heard about Mr. Smith goes to Washington.

Tried Night Manager, fell asleep at the end of first episode. Not their fault, mine, I was too tired that time. I like both actors, although a bit disappointed that

Tom's character was so easily seduced at the beginning XD. I know I know, it's leading to something more. But I always prefer rude men who are immune to regular text-book woman charm, you know, those dysfunctional social inept like Sherlock and House. :p That's why I hardly stomach predictable rom-com.

Ah.. I like Constant Gardener, but haven't read the book. I have it on my shelf far-far away. Should get to it when I have chance.

Recently watched Mad Max, it's fine I guess. I like the casts but there is nothing much in the plot for them to work with. Nice adventure though, but leave nothing to think of, just enjoy the ride, or not. (6.5/10)

What about Nolan's The Prestige? I love it. 8.5/10

What about Nolan's The Prestige? I love it.

Well, I agree with that one.

I like these kind of Nolan mindblowing movies.

Hope he does some more.

• Like 1

Thumbs up on The Prestige!

• Like 2

Recently watched Mad Max, it's fine I guess.

Which one?

A friend made me watch Fury Road a while ago and I was surprised to find that I kind of liked it. It was freaky and absurd enough to make me tolerate the violence (besides, this friend has known me since third grade and she has a very good idea of what I can and cannot see, so she never shows me films she hasn't watched herself yet and when she knows something is coming up that'll make me queasy, she tells me to close my eyes in time. Love her.) I think Charlize Theron can reconcile me to almost anything.