Recently watched movies

Mr. Nobody - 8/10

...and I thought ‘Predestination’ was confusing.

But seriously this is a great movie that makes you think and plays with big ideas and executes it really great.

It’s mainly about a boy having to make choices after he is set before the task to either live with his mother or father after they separate, and we kind of see all the alternative lives that he could have lived.

Also, Jared Leto is awesome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The new Spiderman moving like Spiderman. Seriously, that bit that starts at the 6 seconds mark I could watch on a loop and still be fascinated. 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2018 at 1:32 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Realistically speaking (if y'all don't mind, and if such a phrase is even applicable to this discussion), if a baby is put into a super-average world, as Truman was, I think he's likely to turn out pretty average himself, because he has no other role models.  Of course that brings us back to the old "nature or nurture?" debate.  Was Moriarty literally a born psychopath?  Or did he become that way due to the way he was treated in childhood?  Though come to think of it, we're *all* born psychopaths, aren't we?  If a child is allowed to *keep* being completely self-centered and inconsiderate, will they stay that way?  Or would they (in most cases) develop empathy on their own?  Or more to the point here, if a child is raised to be empathetic, will he necessarily turn out that way?

As for Sherlock:  If a kid is routinely discouraged from being curious, will they eventually lose their curiosity?  Or will they become even more determined to figure things out on their own?

I would say when someone not average is being put in super-average world, they would not turn average.

Although it's probably not an adequate comparison, people who move out from small town could be example. Small town when nothing exciting ever happens, time stands still and you are guaranteed well enough life but then..no challenge or excitement. Of course, they know about the existence of another place, which I assume similar with Truman as well since he knows about Fiji and other towns.

I would like to think I would be too curious as well, what is the end of that road, why it's never built, what would happen if I climb down and walk forward? Yes, they would create all kind of scenario to discourage him, but when you try often enough, it would get very suspicious. People like Moriarty and Sherlock would not be able to sit still and accept that the world is just the way it is, especially that they are mostly so-called fearless. I would think that Moriarty would still slash someone to see how a muscle looks like, just like Eurus.

I finally have time to post, yay!

Jumanji: back to the jungle 8/10

It was nice to see all the nods to the previous movie, and it was incredible funny too!

Maze runner: the death cure 6/10

While it had a decent ending, I'm sure the movie would have ended sooner if everyone wasn't so goddamn loyal. Seriously, 95% consists of the main character refusing to leave his friends behind. Which is a noble thing, but sometimes you have to know when to quit.

Australia 4/10

I feel like this movie couldn't make up it's mind about what it would be going about: was it about a widower travelling to Australia to restore her late husband's ranch and finding new love? Was it about how they basically abducted a whole generation of aboriginals to convert them from their *evil* pegan worshiping? Or was it about what happened in Australia during WWII? Spoiler alert! It's all three of them and it feels like they tried to cram too many ideas into one movie.

Nice to see you posting again, FL!  I've noticed you online a few times, though, so I knew you were still around.

My latest movie is another not-so-new one, The Notebook (from 2004).  I found it funny, sad, heartwarming, and damn near perfect.  Alex and I both loved it.

My brother recommended that we watch Office Space (1999).  We'd put it in the same general category as Johnny Dangerously (1984, which we rewatched recently): funny but not hilarious, good but not great -- yet memorable and quotable.

Does anyone know of any films set on a polar base?

And, more specifically, are there any with aliens terrorising people on a polar base?

4 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

Does anyone know of any films set on a polar base?

And, more specifically, are there any with aliens terrorising people on a polar base?

https://io9.gizmodo.com/cool-off-with-these-18-horror-movies-set-in-the-freezin-1796606662

I was thinking of 'Whiteout' starring Kate Beckinsale (on this list).

Also 'The Thing'.

Ah, thanks for the list. :smile:

I know I've seen Whiteout, but the only thing I seem to remember about it was them clinging to a rope to move between buildings in a, er, whiteout.

I Can Only Imagine 9/10 I enjoyed it. It’s a quality indie film. Based on a true story, there are moments of tears. It covers about 15 years of the life of Bart Millard, the lead singer of MercyMe.

Not sure where it’s playing outside the US. I just know that it rocked the US box office this weekend (& wonder how it would have done had it been in more theaters).

I tried watching The Nice Guys, the Russell Crowe/Ryan Gosling comedy. I think I made it through the best part of an hour, just not remotely funny. 

2 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

That's too bad -- I really liked Gosling in The Notebook.  :(

I know Ry has his legions of fans, but his role as Noah in The Notebook is the only Gosling performance I have ever been able to stomach.  He is well-cast when he plays villains and smarmeisters because that is how he comes across to me.

So I better not ruin my impression of him, eh?  Then again, the world of fiction can always use another good villain!

I really like it. It's funny, a bit poignant in places, and I just love smooth ladies man Gosling giving Steve Carrell's dowdy middle-aged dad a make-over. Emma Stone's character is spunky without being annoying.  

Edit: Yes, he is good in it. :smile:

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Is that any good?  Or more to the point, is he good in it?

I don't think I've seen Gosling give a 'bad' performance . . of the ones I've seen, he's quite effective.  Just . .samey.

He was chilling as a junior psychopath, the Leopold to Michael Pitt's Loeb in Murder By Numbers.

He was good as the lawyer-patsy opposite Anthony Hopkins doing his reheated Hannibal schtick in Fracture.

He was suitably toadying as the hero-worshipping aide to George Clooney in that movie they were in together, about the Presidential campaign.  I think of Gosling as kind of the Clooney for his generation--acknowledged as handsome and accomplished yet without much depth or breadth or both in their performances.

He's gotten raves for Drive and Blue Valentine, Lars & the Real Girl and La-La Land, but I haven't seen those.  To all accounts, he is very effective.  I have just never liked any of his characters or seen any appeal he's got as a heartthrob (to some) except for Noah.

I feel like I get calibrated versions of the same kind of guy with a Gosling performance and that's why I've been avoiding them.

• Thanks 1

Talking of Nicholas Sparks' movies, with The Notebook, I actually didn't like that one but I loved Dear John. It shouldn't be my kind of film, it's normally the type of thing I run a mile from, but I enjoyed it. I have a bit of a guilty liking of The Lucky One too, though I think the casting is off. Nicholas Sparks' films are always cheesy, you have to be willing to overlook it in order to enjoy 'em. 

I went to see Peter Rabbit last night. The animation was beautiful, but most of the gags weren't very funny, and I'm not sure Peter was as likeable as he should have been. I'd probably leave it on if I caught it on TV, just because of how pretty it was, but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it again. 

There was a lot of pretty good music though, so it gives me something new to listen to for a bit. 

Ugh, so far, I haven't liked any adaptation of the classics I loved as a child. Mary Poppins, Winnie-the-Pooh, the Beatrix Potter books... They don't translate well to the screen, I think.

Although it's nice to see some references, Sherlock Gnomes kinda sucks. 

I don't know, too predictable, not original, nothing special, feel... nothing.

Never really intend to watch it anyway, my bad.

• Like 1

Thought the Unread Content page showed a post from VBS about Sherlock Gnomes, but now that I'm in the thread I don't see it. Whoops, there's a new-post notification -- nope, nothing new loaded.  And again!  Three times and still nothing.  Four times.

Well, anyhow, I have (five) been meaning to ask (six), does anyone knows anything about it?

Added:. Aha, there she is!  I swear that I checked each time to see if there was a Next Page -- but each time, it was still pale.

So -- not great, huh?