Detective

Recently watched movies

Nope, haven't seen Stan & Ollie.  Have seen some TV ads for it, but either they don't give me much of a feel for the movie, or it's a pretty thin movie.  I'm assuming the former.

Here's a shout-out to Best Supporting Actor Oscar nominee Richard E Grant, for his nomination, but even more for his attitude toward same.  Richard first came to my attention in 1986 in the film 'Withnail & I'.  It was his first starring role.  He was 29 years old, as was his co-star, 8th Doctor Paul McGann (playing 'I').  I was 21 at the time, and therefore these were dangerous older man types . . and 'European'.  Americans regard the English as Europeans even if they themselves don't.  Richard has worked steadily since, often playing psychos, because he's just so good at it.  But he seems like a nice guy in real life.

For any that are interested, 'Withnail' is a sort of prototype of B. Cumberbatch's Sherlock, with the hapless 'I' as sort of a comic Dr. Watson figure.  If you like off-kilter British movies, give this one a spin.

Neither Richard nor I are 20-somethings any more, but I daresay we are holding up pretty good.  Me better than he . . but then he is 8 years older and has had a more exciting life than me . .:)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/richard-grant-absolutely-overwhelmed-at-oscar-nomination/vi-BBSBhSx

'The Kid Who Would Be King'.  I had virtually zero interest in this movie (although I enjoy Arthurian legend), but my dad really wanted to see it.  It's a kids' movie for sure, very simplistic, but it was cute.  And it had some nice traditional messages about honor and nobility of character that I don't see in movies much these days.  A nice way to spend a foggy afternoon.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2019 at 2:05 AM, besleybean said:

I did enjoy Sherlock Gnomes.

I just watched this and surprisingly I enjoyed it as well. 

On 1/26/2019 at 4:20 PM, Hikari said:

Here's a shout-out to Best Supporting Actor Oscar nominee Richard E Grant, for his nomination, but even more for his attitude toward same.  Richard first came to my attention in 1986 in the film 'Withnail & I'.  It was his first starring role.  He was 29 years old, as was his co-star, 8th Doctor Paul McGann (playing 'I').  I was 21 at the time, and therefore these were dangerous older man types . . and 'European'.  Americans regard the English as Europeans even if they themselves don't.  Richard has worked steadily since, often playing psychos, because he's just so good at it.  But he seems like a nice guy in real life.

For any that are interested, 'Withnail' is a sort of prototype of B. Cumberbatch's Sherlock, with the hapless 'I' as sort of a comic Dr. Watson figure.  If you like off-kilter British movies, give this one a spin.

Neither Richard nor I are 20-somethings any more, but I daresay we are holding up pretty good.  Me better than he . . but then he is 8 years older and has had a more exciting life than me . .:)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/richard-grant-absolutely-overwhelmed-at-oscar-nomination/vi-BBSBhSx

A long overdue honour in my opinion. Grant was marvellous in Withnail & I. I don't think he's received the credit he deserves either at home or in America. I think his portrayal of The Scarlet Pimpernel is the prototypical Cumberbatch Sherlock. If' you've not seen it I highly recommend tracking it down. He's brilliant.

I always thought the Pimpernel was the prototype for Zorro.

Today I got my pre-ordered copy of Der Hund Von Baskerville which had been missing for years. It was filmed in 1929 and was the last silent Holmes movie. It was a touch expensive at £35 (around $45) but worth it (to me at least😃) Carlyle Blackwell’s Holmes is described in the movie as the genial detective. Has Holmes ever been called genial before? There are some pretty atmospheric scenes and I believe that they spent more money on the Dartmoor scenery than they did for the brilliant Rathbone Bruce version. There’s also a 1914 short Holmes Hound to watch which I’ll watch tomorrow along with the extras. A day of Holmes collecting utopia for me.

Id recommend this to anyone but I can’t see anyone dashing out to buy it😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“Alita: Battle Angel”.  Another film my dad wanted to see that didn’t interest me.  The trailer seemed generic, and all the cyborg stuff and disproportionately large CGI eyes looked slightly creepy.  But it was much better than I expected and I actually really liked it.  My only real complaint is that I wasn’t aware it was going to end unresolved.  I haven’t looked it up but I’m assuming there are sequels planned to continue to the story.  I hope there aren’t too many, I hate waiting years for an ending.

I thought about seeing that, but Alita was never one of my favorites to begin with, so I'll probably pass. 😞 But if the movie is anything like the manga it was based on, it will never have a definitive ending. I love manga, but that is one of its drawbacks. 

I should modify that … Rumiko Takahashi actually did draw Maisson Ikkoku to a final and rather satisfying close. But that's the only one I can think of, offhand. The Japanese are masters of open-ended stories. Curses.

They are, aren’t they.  Curses indeed.