Recently watched movies

OMG!!! After me saying before about how awesome Venom would be if he were done right, and how awful we was in one of the previous Spiderman films, there's a Venom movie coming out! With Tom Hardy as Venom! I didn't even know that was in the works. Oh, please, please be done right! Teaser trailer doesn't show much, but the fact it's Ton Hardy gives me hope. Wonder if it'll tie in with Spiderman, must do surely. Is this the first Marvel film based solely on a villain or am I forgetting one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzxFdtWmjto

Lady Bird. Ugh. It's well acted, I suppose, but I hate hate hate movies about women arguing with each other. And I hate what Lady Bird thinks she wants to be, it's such a disservice to young women to keep perpetuating that "boy crazy" kind of behavior as "normal." And I hate my sneaking suspicion that the only reason it's in the running for an Oscar is because it's directed by a woman.

Oh well, my friend liked it. I'll let her provide the rating.

Not that this is a story that needs to be told but I thought that I’d re-post the one that disappeared during the changeover. It’s in regard to that silly game of linking things to Holmes/Doyle. It’s just an example of how Holmes is pretty much everywhere that you look.

i went out for a drink with three friends on Friday night on the occasion of one of my friends 50th birthday. We ended up back at his flat (he lives alone; quite recently divorced.) We ordered Indian food and one of my friends searched through the dvd collection and put on his box set of Fawlty Towers (I assume that most in the States will be familiar with the series?) My friend turned to me and said, through a mouthful of Chicken Madras, “ok smart arse link Fawlty Towers to Sherlock Holmes.” This was what you might call ‘an own goal.’ And so we have:

John Cleese (BASIL) played Sherlock Holmes in a spoof movie called The Strange Case Of The End Of Civilisation As We Know It. Connie Booth (POLLY) was also in it. As was Ron Moody who played Holmes on stage and Joss Ackland who played Jephro Rucastle In The Copper Beeches In the Grenada series. Then there was Denholm Elliot who was in it. He played Stapleton in the Peter Cook and Dudley Moore spoof ‘Hound,’ And Dr Mortimer in the Ian Richardson ‘Hound.’ Connie Booth was also in the Richardson ‘Hound’ were she played Laura Lyons. She also played in a TV movie called The Return Of Sherlock Holmes.

Prunella Scales (SYBIL) played a Post Mistress in the Cook and Moore ‘Hound’ spoof.

Andrew Sachs (MANUEL) played Dr Watson on radio to Clive Merrison’s Holmes.

Then, in the episode ‘Anniversary’ there is a couple called Roger and Alice. Roger is played by Ken Campbell (I didn’t know this actors name just his face) and he played James Ryder in the Grenada series The Blue Carbuncle. Alice was played by Una Stubbs ( I don’t think that I need to explain that one on here🙂)

Ballard Berkeley (THE MAJOR) appeared in two episodes of the Peter Cushing Holmes TV series.

Finally Fawlty Towers was set in Torquay, Devon. Doyle lectured twice at the Torquay Pavillians which are very near to the actual hotel.

Sherlock Holmes is eveywhere😀👍

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Well, I’m a bit stunned. I just had an hour or so spare so I checked through the Fawlty Towers lengthy cast list and checked their cv’s for Holmes links. I know...more than a bit nerdy. 

Actors that appeared in Fawlty Towers and a 70’s TV series called The Rivals Of Sherlock Holmes:

Jay Neill / Stuart Sherwin / Brenda Cowling / Aimee Delamain / Anthony Davies / Terence Conoley/ Bruce Boa / John Quarmby / James Cossins / 

Actors that appeared in Fawlty Towers and the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle TV series:

Raymond Mason / Kathleen Heath / James Appleby / Andre Maranne / 

Actors that appeared in Fawlty Towers and the TV series The Baker Street Boy’s:

Pat Keen

Actors that appeared in Fawlty Towers and the Geoffrey Whitehead Holmes TV series:

Norman Bird.

Actors that appeared in Fawlty Towers and the Douglas Wilmer Holmes series:

Beatrice Shaw / Allan Cuthbertson / Diana King / Martin Wyldeck / 

Actors that appeared in Fawlty Towers and the Brett Holmes series:

Robin Ellis / Steve Plytas / Conrad Phillips / Richard Caldicott /

Actors that appeared in Fawlty Towers and the Holmes vs The Ripper movie Murder By Decree:

Iris Fry./

In a total series cast list of 117 I make it 31 actors with a Holmes connection. This means that 26.5% of the cast of a 12 episode series have a Holmes connection.

Do I win Holmes nerd of the year👍

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Yes, you do.  The crown is yours . .well, it's awfully early in the year to say that for a certainty, but let's just say the crown is yours until someone proves they deserve to wrest it off your head, and that's going to prove difficult.  I doubt even David Marcum could rival your knowledge of Fawlty Towers as it relates to Sherlock Holmes.  I might be wrong, however.  Maybe I will pose to him the same challenge and see if he can do it as exhaustively as you do here.

So I've got one, sure to be SUPER Challenging, but you are the King of the 2 degrees of Sherlock Separation nerds.  There is a transatlantic element; tell me if you don't do American shows/movies and I'll have to come up with another.

OK, smart arse, I dare you to link the American raunch-comedy franchise "The Hangover" to Sherlock Holmes.  And . . .Go!

(It's not fair just to say that Holmes and Watson often *had* hangovers, with the amount of booze they put away.)

Hi Hikari,

Just to be clear. In my first ‘FT’ post I knew all of those facts without research except for Ken Campbell’s name and the fact that Ballard Berkeley appeared in 2 episodes of the Cushing series I could only recall one.)

But... in my second post I didn’t know any of those facts. I just went through the cast list and brought up a list of what they had done and noted the Holmes connections. I’m not making any claims to omniscience here🙂

That said, I think I’ll have to admit to defeat on that one in terms of what I know👍. I only recognise 3 names from the cast of The Hangover. I see a Jack The Ripper connection but no Holmes. My only excuse is that most Holmes tv and movies involve UK actors. I’ll have a look at some of the actors cv’s to see if any links exist. My hopes are low though.

Holmes was an amateur boxer and Mike Tyson was in The Hangover! Nah, I can’t claim that one😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I admit to a resounding defeat on The Hangover. Not even the merest scent of Holmes. I was thinking that maybe there’d be someone who had been in Elementary perhaps but zilch. US film and tv are stonier grounds for Holmes.

My crown is dented already😀

57 minutes ago, HerlockSholmes said:

Hi Hikari,

Just to be clear. In my first ‘FT’ post I knew all of those facts without research except for Ken Campbell’s name and the fact that Ballard Berkeley appeared in 2 episodes of the Cushing series I could only recall one.)

But... in my second post I didn’t know any of those facts. I just went through the cast list and brought up a list of what they had done and noted the Holmes connections. I’m not making any claims to omniscience here🙂

That said, I think I’ll have to admit to defeat on that one in terms of what I know👍. I only recognise 3 names from the cast of The Hangover. I see a Jack The Ripper connection but no Holmes. My only excuse is that most Holmes tv and movies involve UK actors. I’ll have a look at some of the actors cv’s to see if any links exist. My hopes are low though.

Holmes was an amateur boxer and Mike Tyson was in The Hangover! Nah, I can’t claim that one😀

Herl,
I was kind of messing with you, I admit.  I haven't even watched any of the Hangover movies.  I just wanted to see if even you could spin a Sherlock connection for Zach Galifinakis.

If there is a Ripper connection, though, that's something--that's 2 degrees of separation but that's allowed.  Heck they allow you 6 degrees in the Kevin Bacon game!

• Thanks 1

Herlock, you  could use the IMDb "overlaps" function.  They hide it pretty well, so I shall find it next time I'm on my laptop and post a link.

Also -- American though I am, I've never even heard of the Hangover, if that makes you feel any better.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Herlock, you  could use the IMDb "overlaps" function.  They hide it pretty well, so I shall find it next time I'm on my laptop and post a link.

Here's the link -- you can search for either all people (including actors) who are associated with two specified titles, or all titles that two specified people were both involved with in any capacity.  (Since there's also a regular search bar at the top, this is the page that I've bookmarked for IMDb.)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hikari said:

Herl,
I was kind of messing with you, I admit.  I haven't even watched any of the Hangover movies.  I just wanted to see if even you could spin a Sherlock connection for Zach Galifinakis.

If there is a Ripper connection, though, that's something--that's 2 degrees of separation but that's allowed.  Heck they allow you 6 degrees in the Kevin Bacon game!

I’ll have to revise my original statement to Sherlock Holmes is ‘almost’ everywhere😀 I’m not really a film watcher so I’m useless with modern actors. For example, I’ve heard the name Bradley Cooper but I couldn’t name any of his movies. Older USA movies aren’t too bad because you can often recognise actors that were in Rathbone movies for example. 

The ripper connection was Heather Graham (From Hell) by the way.

2 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Here's the link -- you can search for either all people (including actors) who are associated with two specified titles, or all titles that two specified people were both involved with in any capacity.  (Since there's also a regular search bar at the top, this is the page that I've bookmarked for IMDb.)

Thanks for that Carol. You’re just feeding the nerdiness👍

Im just about to ‘sign out’ and I’ve just noticed that the only two members on here at the moment are Herlock Sholmes and Moriarty!  Should I leave a note for Watson? 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just saw Black Panther with Johnspec.  It was amazing.  9/10 and yes like most of the previous MCU films it has 2 scenes during the credits.  It makes me excited for Infinity Wars in May and the next solo Doctor Strange.

• Thanks 1

Oh yes, I want to see that. Thanks for reminding me it's out!

There's going to be another Strange? Is that confirmed?

6 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Oh yes, I want to see that. Thanks for reminding me it's out!

There's going to be another Strange? Is that confirmed?

I still haven't seen the first Dr. Strange.  I can't cope with Bendi in that outfit, with that accent coming out of his mouth.  His American is very decent; that sound is too discordant with my head-canon of his regular voice.  And, I'm not up on all the finer points of the character, but Doc Strange seems like one of the more ridiculous creations, super-hero wise.  There is, however, a pretty hilarious skit on YouTube that Ben did on the Jimmy Kimmel show . ."Dr. Strange:  Children's Birthday Party Entertainer".  Things do not go particularly well, especially for the bratty child called 'Marcus'.

Apologies, Strange fans.  I do like Khan.  I'd go for a reprise of him.  Let's thaw that superman back out, if Ben agrees.

Now to a movie that I have just seen:  "Wonder"-- Julia Roberts & Owen Wilson play the parents of a little boy with a severe facial deformity who starts the 5th grade at regular school after having been home-schooled up until then.  Augie (short for August, played by the winning Jacob Tremblay) is a budding science prodigy who dreams about becoming an astronaut, but he's never had a friend his own age.  Augie has his ups and downs in the 5th grade, a lot of downs at first, but gradually, with the help of some compassionate adults and a few nice kids, he learns to navigate the world without his NASA helmet.  Sweet, somewhat predictable . . I think of it as a mash-up between "Mask" and a "Stand By Me" for a new generation.  Augie's story and narration is interspersed with the perspective of some other characters in his life, principally that of his big sister Via (short for Olivia), who is also starting a new school in 9th grade, without any sort of fanfare.  She provides the poignant counterpoint of the 'normal' child who is perennially overlooked and taken for granted by her parents because she doesn't have special needs, just the regular needs of every adolescent.

A recommend, especially if you have a kid in your life to watch it with.  I watched it with a friend's 11-year-old daughter, who incidentally, has been home-schooled her whole life.  Some of Augie's experiences do not make "Wonder" a glowing testimonial for a traditional schooling environment, but what Augie faces at school will feel universal to most of us.  And in these times, we can all use a reminder to 'Just Be Kind.'

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SherlockedCAMPer said:

Just saw Black Panther with Johnspec.  It was amazing.  9/10 and yes like most of the previous MCU films it has 2 scenes during the credits.  It makes me excited for Infinity Wars in May and the next solo Doctor Strange.

I've gotten pretty sick of superhero films, they just all blend together after a while, but I enjoyed Logan and Spiderman because they were different. Would you say Black Panther stands apart too?

It's definitely an origin story. It has the formulaic coming out of adversity that a lot of superheroes have. But I found it done differently so it felt less formulaic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Haven't had chance to read what do you guys think about Black Panther (if any), just drop by to say I think it sucks.

It's so boring, all over the place, and boring. Boring!!

We had a stretch of seat for our selves on the back, so I made myself comfortable and actually fell asleep during the last hour.

But I saw that it is well received?? Well, I maintain what I said though. Hardy feel this way on show I watch at cinema. 5/10

Black Panther has me wishing I had the time to go see it properly at the movie theater, firstly because I know the perfect person to see it with and secondly because it's being hyped so intensely around here and that makes me curious to see what the fuss is about. Trailer and promotional pics look like the visuals are good at least, so if the story shouldn't captivate me (which it rarely does in superhero movies; not really my area), I could at least enjoy the images. But it looks like I will have to wait for the DVD. Looking forward to reading lots of different opinions on the movie in the meanwhile.