Detective

Recently watched movies

I didn't mind the one set in Japan, cant remember which one that is, didn't like the other one. 

I'd kind of like to see a historical version of Wolverine. I can't remember how old he is exactly, but I'm pretty sure he fought in the civil war...?

Yes, the opening title scene of "Origins" briefly showed him fighting in the Civil War (among others).  Here's a video!

If I remember correctly, according to "Origins" he was born in the 1800's, but I can't remember what year.  The movie set in Japan was "The Wolverine".

Oh yea, that's cool, thanks for that! :D 'War montage,' lol. Does it mention when he was born?

I love the plane flying over in the WW1 segment. I'm a sucker for anything with planes since the company I work for makes big-ass model planes and I'm messing about with plane parts day in day out. 

I just looked and the movie starts in 1845, and Logan looks to be somewhere between 5 and 10 at the time, so it must have been late 1830's.

I thought it was funny in Logan when he's posing as Prof X's son when he's probably old enough to be his grandfather 🤣

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:49 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Well -- there's Jennifer Aniston ....

Who?

Fi-nal-ly I saw Infinity War. Found it a bit - don't know if it's the right word - unsteady, which comes from the fact that the Guardians of the Galaxy is mostly comedy, which the others aren't. I did laugh at some allusions, but I'm sure I missed most of them, because I missed 4 movies from the MU recently.

Nothing to run to the cinema on the next day to see it again, but it was good fun. Mostly…
And - which I think is a bit not-Marvel-wise - the bad guy has a quite a depth. Am I the only one who thinks that Thanos might have been right?

BTW, where is that spoiler button? scratch-head.gif

The Foreigner - 5/10

12 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Who?

If you were joking, I assume you'd use a sarcastic emotie (unless they've stopped working for you again), so I shall risk taking you seriously.  Jennifer Aniston played Rachel Green (the poor little rich girl) on Friends.  She's constantly in the tabloids these days.

8 hours ago, J.P. said:

BTW, where is that spoiler button? scratch-head.gif

It's the eye symbol.

What?

:wink:

• Like 1

I hate Friends with a fiery passion. 

Re-watched Atomic Blonde (AKA the disc that got stuck in my PS4), still not sold on it. I like the style of it and how slick it looks, but I'm just not that interested in the story. Charlize Theron is stunning in it, but isn't she always?

Okay, except in Monster. Talking of which, has anyone seen that? The true story makes me so sad that I've never seen the movie. 

14 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

I hate Friends with a fiery passion.

Sure you're not thinking of Seinfeld?  :P

Never watched Seinfeld so that goes over my head completely...

I never could get into the Seinfeld show (though I enjoy his monologs), because I find all of the major characters entirely unrelatable.  Of course if you hate Friends, which I enjoyed very much (at least till they ruined Ross), your taste might be enough different that you'd love Seinfeld.

• Like 2

On 6/30/2018 at 9:11 PM, Arcadia said:

Sorry you're having so much trouble, VBS, we miss you around here. Well, I do, for some reason. :p 

Because I am Moriarty to your Sherlock? Because you want to dangle me over the rooftop? Admit it!

On 7/1/2018 at 2:18 AM, Pseudonym said:

I miss you too VBS, but that's horribly, uncomfortably close to sentiment so... er... *pelts with rotten vegetables*

I'm making salad, care to toss something usable? Geez! Toasted brussel sprout that we painstakingly spending so much time to talk about maybe? :P 

@Carol, thanks again. Haven't contacted Tim, I figure that I just make do with what I can, since no one else seems to have as many problem as me. I b*tch about it often to let you guys know that I haven't forgotten you :cowdance: . Now I'm typing on my office desktop and as long as I have the patience of going in and out I'd try to make a lot of noise around, hopefully getting fresh veggie this time.

I suppose people who hate Friends would like Seinfeld. People who hate people would love Seinfeld XD 

I used to like Friends (and still okay with it) as it is connected to the good times back then and used to hate Seinfeld because I think I probably didn't really understand it when I first watch it. (I believe I watched many English speaking shows blankly for sometimes before I got the hang of it :) ).    (Okay they don't let me type in new paragraph here to I just continue). Monster is depressing. It's good but it's depressing and there is no way I would watch it again. The thing is, it made me sympathize a lot with the character and kind of understand how bad the situation she was in. I despise her partner in the movie, but overall I don't remember much about the real story to know the accuracy because it had been a long while (watched it fresh in theatre). 

I also dislike "Friends".  Not with a fiery passion, I suppose, but still.  I internally scream when someone puts it on.

I usually need to see a good portion of a show before I know if I like it or not, especially a comedy.  It's hard for me to like anything until I've spent enough time getting to know the characters.  There are a lot of shows I couldn't stand to begin with and would have missed out on if I hadn't given them some time.

5 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Haven't contacted Tim, I figure that I just make do with what I can, since no one else seems to have as many problem as me. 

On the other hand, since you do have so many problems, and since you are fairly knowledgeable about computers and smart phones, you might be able to give Tim some valuable clues about some of the flakey problems we're all seeing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Never got into friends or Seinfeld. I much preferred Macguyver, ABCs TGIF lineup.

I sent him an PM Carol. I hope his advice, if any, doesn't involve me having to change my nose. It's family heirloom, sort of.

18 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I never could get into the Seinfeld show (though I enjoy his monologs), because I find all of the major characters entirely unrelatable.  Of course if you hate Friends, which I enjoyed very much (at least till they ruined Ross), your taste might be enough different that you'd love Seinfeld.

My brother loves Friends fondly (which I find endearing) and the series helped us went through sleepless nights during our final years in Uni (earlier seasons), I gradually felt indifferent and during final season, didn't bother much to catch it during its run, yah, because I felt it was ruined as well. The earlier season about young people's struggle with life is much more relatable.

I'm curious to which point you think they ruined Ross? I think he is the worst among them XD although he has good moments. The one that I couldn't stand is his unreasonable jealousy (and I know someone like that in RL!) and when he insisted on evolution.

None of Seinfeld's characters is likable to me too, I think that is why I didn't like it in the first place. But I do relate in their everyday thing, and most things that annoy them, annoy me too. Most things they reluctant of doing (social norm) applicable to me too. And there are way too many times I saw 'breathtaking baby' XD. All of them behave like immature adults, but that's me. So I grow to love them. Beside the fashion and technology, everything else is timeless actually.

18 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Nope, I couldn't get into either of them. I tried many times, because so many people loved these shows so much … but I don't think I ever made it through an entire episode. As you say, I couldn't relate to any of the characters, which is not an uncommon occurrence (for me) with comedy shows. There's not a single one on now that I can bear to watch.

• Like 1

Hmmm...

What about The Office? Arrested Development? It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia? Malcolm In The Middle? Community? Those are couple that I enjoyed, although the only one that I watched every episode is The Office.

Regarding Wolverine, I remember that I enjoyed it back then, but it created a big hoo-haa in the fan's community, especially DeadPool's, because of the inaccuracy. FFS, they stitched his mouth, isn't mindless gibberish and witty comments is Deadpool's superpower? :lol5: 

On 7/5/2018 at 10:19 PM, Van Buren Supernova said:

I'm curious to which point you think they ruined Ross?

I liked the character very much at first -- he was sweet and earnestly awkward and endearingly geeky.

Seems to me that he jumped the shark in the turkey-sandwich episode:  Monica had made him her special triple-decker leftover-turkey sandwich to take to work on the day after Thanksgiving -- but some other guy took it from the office fridge and ate it.  Or at least part of it.  He told Ross it was so big that he'd thrown away half of it, at which point Ross went ballistic and attacked the guy.

After that he was merely pathetic, and I didnt have much interest in him.

Added:  The episode title is The One With Ross's Sandwich.

I don't think we have a gaming thread, since no else seems to be much into it, but how awesome is this trailer? I wish this was a film (though I'll happily play the game too). 

17 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Hmmm...

What about The Office? Arrested Development? It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia? Malcolm In The Middle? Community? Those are couple that I enjoyed, although the only one that I watched every episode is The Office.

Nope. I've seen snippets and pieces of all of them; just enough to make me think I'd rather watch something else.

Seems to me most comedy these days relies too much on people being mean to each other, or yelling at each other, or sexual innuendo. None of which is amusing to me. At least, not the way it's done on most shows.

13 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

I don't think we have a gaming thread, since no else seems to be much into it, but how awesome is this trailer? I wish this was a film (though I'll happily play the game too). 

Wow.

So, when you play a game like that … is it actually like that? Do you somehow control one of the characters? Or is that just an elaboration on what the gameplay is actually like, and you're still chasing pixels around a screen?

I think the only "modern" video game I ever played was … oh cripes, here I go again. What was the name of that thing? It was huge in its day …. Myst, I think? I don't remember in characters in it, though, just scenery. It was okay. But I find I prefer those little 8-bit platformers, more fun.