Recently watched movies

Here's the Onion's Peter Rosenthal, with a riposte to all the tone-raisers in here!  

Note:  Contains some profane language, hilariously and perfectly employed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If The Onion does many of those talking-head videos, they might consider investing in a TelePrompter.  Either that or hold the cue cards a lot closer to the camera.

10 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Oh of course you are, just like me!!! Rite, right!

Hmmmm... how come I detect some kind of mockery... hmmm.. there is something... something is not right.. wait I need to think about this... :P

:whistle:

:D Hot yoga, bran/brain (?) smoothies? God no! That is Tuesday's torture, but I don't know a single move of yoga, it just sounds torturing. XD

The idea of fun in my world, hmm.. maybe coconut by the sea, canteen water in mountain XD or just a sip of tea at home or a beer or two on the roof?

Regarding your fist question, which I failed to include in the quote. It's not so much about the drinking, but the association with the ambiance. Thinking back, I hardly drink when I hang out, because I ride, and we mostly prefer to hang out in cafe. On occasion when we were on the trip, and I didn't ride, we hardly or just had very light drink as in it's always safer in foreign land anyway. Long story short, we always had something else to do or to drink. But there are times like formal outing, office function, family function that I don't really enjoy and those are the association I have with drinks. Also when people I don't really like start to feel very comfortable while intoxicated start behaving too funny, refusing to go home, encouraging others to be as funny, or thinking that they are closer to you when they don't. Even when they are not really intoxicated, I found the heightened cheerfulness could be quite annoying sometimes, not always, most. But of course, some people could hold their drink well too.

Yeah, this.

Thinking back on it, I realize I've had a negative impression of alcohol from a fairly early age. My parents drank socially, but sensibly, so that was never a problem. But when my siblings reached high school/college age, and they would throw parties, there was always a least one person who couldn't handle the drink and made a jackass of themselves. A bit traumatizing for baby sis. So by the time I reached that age myself, I pretty much ran in the other direction … and luckily I found friends who felt the same. So we hiked, or shared a meal at Pizza Hut, or went to movies and concerts, or played card games, instead of drinking. One of my friends lived in the dorms for a couple years, and he described the binge drinking that took place at parties there, and the tricks they played on the drunkest ones, and the sickness afterwards … and a couple kids killed themselves indulging too much … so yeah, all in all, the idea of drinking to have a good time, or being in the same room with a lot of people drinking, was pretty much spoiled for me. I'll have a cocktail or a glass of wine at a friend's house on the holidays, and that's about it. 

Besides …. that stuff's expensive! I'd rather spend my money on Sherlock DVD's. :D Alas, it looks like I'll be saving my money for awhile.....

• Like 3

Arcadia said:

... a couple kids killed themselves indulging too much …

A young relative of ours drank so much and then vomited so violently that his esophagus burst.  They were able to pull him through, thank goodness, and he's OK now.  But he sure doesn't drink anymore.

• Sad 2

I haven't actually watched Galaxy Quest all that recently, but I did recently find a good information resource for it, namely what appears to be an actual script.

This document answers the burning question: is it "the Sons of Warvan" or "the Suns of Warvan"?

I've always assumed the latter, but there are plenty of fan sites that assume the former.  And -- ta-da! -- I was right -- it's "Suns.".

:P 

"A burning question" … no pun intended? :D 

On 8/4/2018 at 3:43 AM, J.P. said:

Maybe we could add "British Government" and "Queen"?

I saw in another forum once, that after the members reach certain post, they can customize the title, which would be fun!

I have no idea at the moment, but the ones on top of my head are vicar with a bleedin' face or fake being such an annoying d*ck all the time.

P.S Sorry if double post, I swear I posted it successfully but it went missing.

@Herlock, I am in constant battle with the forum, so double post is actually the lesser problem it gives me. For example, I tried to edit typo 'and' to 'an' from phone, but even after multiple log ins, it didn't let me and kept logging me out. Luckily I have desktop access lately, and finally I had to log back in using desktop just to fix the typo because I have to completely give up using phone.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I saw in another forum once, that after the members reach certain post, they can customize the title, which would be fun!

Oh, right -- they have that on the Magnum PI forum.  I wonder if our current software has that option.  Come to think of it, there must be something like that here, or at least there was on the old software, 'cause Banshee had a custom title.  *off to see if she still does"

Added:  Yup, she's still The Geek in the Corner.

Annnnd, I see this forum has that option too. 😉 But aren't you afraid Sherlock will be jealous?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Arcadia said:

... aren't you afraid Sherlock will be jealous?

Presumably the rank "John Watson's best friend" implies (as did "Consulting Detective") that I *am* Sherlock Holmes, so presumably not.

• Like 1

That logic is so convoluted that the conclusion may actually be correct. :blink: 

😛 

Convoluted?  :huh: 

We all know that Sherlock Holmes is the world's only consulting detective, correct?  So therefore anyone who is a consulting detective must *be* Sherlock Holmes.  (Just like anyone who is the current Queen of England must be Elizabeth II.)

And we all know that Sherlock Holmes is John Watson's best friend.  Assuming that "his best friend" means "his only best friend," then similar logic applies there.

Mind you, I have no particular desire to be Sherlock Holmes.  But I'm not gonna argue with logic.  :P

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

I assumed you were Pete, John's best friend from nursery. ;)

Ah.  Could be.  We don't know much about John's childhood, do we?  He has a sister, presumably but not necessarily older.  He learned the clarinet.  Umm -- that about it?

• Like 1

Pretty much. I always support the headcanon that he played rugby, seems the type. 

• Like 2

Aha -- it was Watson.  So it's not just headcanon, it's canon canon.  Not necessarily Sherlock canon, of course, but I like the idea.

• Like 1

Ah ha! So he doesn’t just seem the type, he IS the type. Something that annoys me a bit is when John is described as being ‘a jock’ in teen/uni fic. First he doesn’t seem what I assume a jock to be, secondly ‘jock’ isn’t really a thing here.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

... [John] doesn’t seem what I assume a jock to be....

Not in the usual sense, no -- though I think some people use the term to refer to any athlete, regardless of personality and/or status.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Detective said:

... many people say that Mission Impossible is the best ongoing franchise in the world, and honestly, i don’t know that I could disagree.

I watched the original TV show in the 70's, but have not seen any of the more recent productions.  If you have seen the original show, how would you compare the current characters to the originals?  In any case, how strong are the characterizations in the movies?

Detective said:

One scene in particular, I won’t forget so fast, where one character, during broad daylight, storms across the street to a ‘store’, smashes down the glass door, while walking up the stairs to the 1st floor pulls out his gun, walks up to the owner of the store, hits him in the face with his gun, twice, breaks the window next to them, picks up the on the floor lying, bleeding man up, and throws him out of the window. He walks back to the street, where the man is lying on the floor, half dead, kicks him in the face again and walks off.

[....]

Watch it. Seriously. If you’re in the mood for it. Not a popcorn flick.

At that point, I think I would be vomiting up the popcorn.  :wacko: