Detective

Recently watched movies

I didn't particularly like Han Solo at first, until I realized that he was *supposed* to be kinda two-dimensional (since the movies were something of a parody of the old Saturday-afternoon serials).  After that, I liked him fine, especially when he was being a smart-ass.

Couldn't *stand* Jar-Jar Binks, though.  :P  In my estimation he's right up there with the shrunken head in Order of the Phoenix.

13 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Couldn't *stand* Jar-Jar Binks, though.  :P  In my estimation he's right up there with the shrunken head in Order of the Phoenix.

I don't think you're alone in that, lol.

Last night, I saw the NTLive link to Mark Gatiss in The Madness of King George III.

It was great and Mark was magnificent.

• Like 1

I was planning to go too, even if I was quite concerned about possible triggers (and - ironically - Mark being magnificent could be one of them). But my karma, or subconsciousness, or the Universe decided I'm not going to see it. Lying in bed with an angina and bad back pain. A 2 hours drive in the cold was not an option. Ironically I took this week off the work too. Just LOVE being sick on my vacation. 😕

Just hope for some encores now.

• Sad 1

Might you need to see a doctor?

"The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes".  "Professor Moriarty sends Holmes and Dr. Watson on a wild-goose chase while he tries for the Crown Jewels."

Favorite moments:

The trial of Moriarty, followed by repartee between Moriarty and Holmes.

5b96d2045bb2dc4fe87c9b404bab8dd1.gif

acb24294d5f9fb3d24f2acc8b916962b.gif

"I'm going to break you, Holmes."

241c16d8b1cba8d0aedb0b8b23ae0cdf.gif

"I was observing the reaction on the common housefly at the chromatic scale."

X40M.gif

2+FIDDLING+WITH+HIS+FLIES.gif

Watson: [swats the flies with a newspaper]  "Elementary, my dear Holmes."

Billy the page.

"We don't want your interference, Mr. Holmes."
"I interfere wherever and whenever I like, Mr. Hunter."

101-The-Adventures-of-Sherlock-Holmes.gi

102-The-Adventures-of-Sherlock-Holmes.gi

Watson: "But it's time for lunch."
Holmes: "Lunch?!  One can have lunch any time, please hurry!"

The restrained way Holmes and Watson resolve an argument, lol.  Poor Watson, he's so dejected when he lets Holmes down.
"Watson, I'm afraid you're an incorrigible bungler."
"Afraid I am..."

Holmes: [pats Watson's shoulder]
Watson: [grins]

tumblr_mcmpyduoQd1r3i95ho5_r1_500.gif

tumblr_mcmpyduoQd1r3i95ho6_r1_500.gif

Sherlock Holmes couldn't be less interested in protecting the Star of Delhi.

"The nose of the police dog, although long and efficient, points in only one direction at a time."

"What have you found out, Dr. Watson?"
"Whatever Watson has found out, you'll know inevitably.  I have unbounded confidence in his lack of discretion."

Huffy Watson lying in the road for one of Holmes' experiments, and his exchange with a baffled passerby.

maxresdefault.jpg

"Half the women in the world own chinchilla wraps."
"You exaggerate, Watson, and half the women in the world wish you didn't."

Holmes and Watson, running urgently through the streets of London and hopping in cabs.

"Holmes again?"
"Always Holmes, until the end."

• Like 3

Did I see Mrs. Hudson with tea? XD

I wanted to ask stupid question but my glaring lack of knowledge in classic Holmes would be too embarrassing. So nah.

Watched Overlord. We wanted to kill time and that seemed to be a better choice compared with others. I was hoping it's some kind of intriguing experimental unethical scifi set in Nazi time (sound like it has potential?) and although I'm not fond of zombie movies, sometime I do like the stories around it (like I am Legend for example), and it is produced by J.J Abrams (I have liked some of his works). But nope, don't like this. 6/10

The setting looks good, the effort is there, there are nice details for the time period, there are some character developments. But other than those, the plot holes are quite glaring, and it has very old fashion magical way to make the plot works, and there are plethora of unsolved problem or potential problems even when the movie has been concluded. Nothing is new, predictable, impossible plot, mustache twirling villains. It's merely a piece of story, but I hope, they are not making sequel or something. 

And then, I caught a simple comedy during my flight and I like it! Tag, I'd be generous and give it 8/10, because it's simple, silly without being stupidly silly and it made me laugh for than a couple of times on the way it makes fun of itself. I like the cast, it was a superb comedic cast actually; John Hamm, Jeremy Renner, Ed Helms, Isla Fisher, the idea is fresh enough and with the way I'm dealing with life at this edge, I can fully relate to the playfulness. And, bahahaha, it is based on true story, bless them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I wanted to ask stupid question but my glaring lack of knowledge in classic Holmes would be too embarrassing.

What is it?  My knowledge of classic Holmes isn't vast either, I may not be able to answer.  But I could try!

I've been going back and forth on seeing "Overlord".  I don't like zombie films either but I thought it might still have potential story-wise.

I haven't seen "Tag", I should give it a shot.  I tend to be picky with comedy, a lot of it is just not to my taste.

2 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I wanted to ask stupid question but my glaring lack of knowledge in classic Holmes would be too embarrassing.

1 hour ago, Artemis said:

What is it?  My knowledge of classic Holmes isn't vast either, I may not be able to answer.  But I could try!

Yes, please do ask!  I might also be able to answer, and if not, then surely one of the local experts could -- and the rest of us could learn something.

3 hours ago, Artemis said:

1 hour ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Yes, please do ask!  I might also be able to answer, and if not, then surely one of the local experts could -- and the rest of us could learn something.

Uhmmmm.. ehmmm...  *shifting leg*   *scratching neck*, I had actually tried to dig deeper and found my own answer. XD It is indeed a very dumb question, but if you must know... 

My question was, "How on earth Jeremy Brett looks like Basil Rathbone?!!!"                I mean, It's spitting image!!!

Okay, now the origin of the story:

Based on what Artemis had posted, I was pretty sure it's Basil Rathbone (because I think he is the most Holmes-like in my imagination before BC) but I've only seen his image here and there, so I went to Imdb for a bit to make sure, and keyed in The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes. For some reason, I didn't pay more attention to the rest and saw Jeremy Brett credited as Holmes. You see, I know how Jeremy Brett looks like, about the same level with how familiar I am with Basil Rathbone. And of course, I was left wondering, geez!!! How come the person that I'm very sure it's Basil is actually Jeremy?!!?? Somehow I had feeling there must be something stupid on my end, but didn't have time to re-check it.

Mystery solved: Yah, it is Basil Rathbone. :P How would I know they use same tittle for different production? XD Told you my knowledge is embarrassing.

Okay, you guys can go ahead throwing tomatoes, I have Hannibal's person suit.

murdersuit.jpg

-

• Haha 1

I've been going back and forth on seeing "Overlord".  I don't like zombie films either but I thought it might still have potential story-wise.

That's what I thought. But too bad, imo, nope.

I haven't seen "Tag", I should give it a shot.  I tend to be picky with comedy, a lot of it is just not to my taste.

I'm not sure what is your standard, but I was entertained with it, mostly because I am as playful as them in real life. :P

After my ginormous Thanksgiving feast, I returned home, immediately put my jammies back on and unwrapped my annual seasonal viewing of that Christmas classic, Die Hard.  My holiday season is now officially launched.

Gas was 74.9 cents a gallon in metro Los Angeles in 1988.  Did we really think that was expensive back then?

Die Hard is 30 years old this year.  Whoah.

2 hours ago, Hikari said:

After my ginormous Thanksgiving feast, I returned home, immediately put my jammies back on and unwrapped my annual seasonal viewing of that Christmas classic, Die Hard.  My holiday season is now officially launched.

Gas was 74.9 cents a gallon in metro Los Angeles in 1988.  Did we really think that was expensive back then?

Die Hard is 30 years old this year.  Whoah.

You watched Die Hard too soon. I usually watch it Boxing Day. The Christmas season doesn't begin for me until my first mince pie. So soon, now, soon.

• Like 1

The Lion King trailer is out! *SQUEEEEEEEEE*

• Like 1

I guess the direction now is to turn all animations into real life? Cinderellla, Beauty and The Beast, now Lion King.

The trailer looks great though, scene to scene, but not sure I need a remake, after all, eventhough I quite enjoyed it (not as much as others too) Lion King is disturbing, just like many of animal animation, if I'm allowed to be a nerd for awhile. :P 

SPOILER, duh.

For example, why did hyenas get outcast if they are also living being, circle of life, blablablah... but they are starving and being outcast, do you blame them?

And circle of life, so those prey animals who bow to their king will be eaten someday, I wonder if there are any negotiation when the lioness are hunting them "but I was the first to go to your husband's inauguration!"   

Well,  I don't see those wildebeests recognizing their leader do I? When they stampede him to death.

And Simba commits incest and kills his uncle.

Yeah, that's cos it's not real life. ;)

• Haha 1

I remember thinking all those same things, though. :smile: 

Except the part about Simba killing his uncle. 'Twas the hyenas what got him.

The Florida Project - 9/10

I’m struggling between giving it a 8, or a 9 out of 10. Doesn’t matter. Baseline is, it’s a beautiful film — in every sense of the word.
Its cinematography is stunning, but more so the locations and the poetic juxtaposition of beauty and misery; of rich tourists visiting Disneyland, and poor Americans struggling to survive. We see empty houses in bright blue and pink, warm, wet, colorful Florida days, children living their best lives in the face of poverty and no future. It really is a beautiful film.
The performances are also amazing across the board, you believe every single character and seeing the non famous actors, or non actors definitely helps.
The fact that this film doesn’t follow the typical three act structure and character arcs that we’re used to seeing (not that there is anything wrong with it) is also very refreshing.
If you haven’t seen ‘The Florida Project’ do me a favor, actually do yourself a favor, and watch it! I think it’s on Amazon.

• Like 1

I think I forgot to say...

I saw Sherlock Gnomes.

It's great and I love it.

An unexpectedly delightful discovery last night.  Had you told me even a month ago that I'd be watching this movie, I would have said you were daft.  But I saw the trailer and just had to give it a go.

PRIDE & PREJUDICE & ZOMBIES (2016) 

It's the familiar tale of Mr. and Mrs. Bennet and their 5 marriageable daughters . . with a twist.  For some hundreds of years, a zombie plague has rampaged across their fair isle, so in addition to learning the deportment and genteel skills of every well-bred Regency young lady, the Bennet girls, along with all of their set, have studied martial arts and other anti-zombie techniques in the Far East.  The Bennets being less well-off than other gentleborn of their circle did their training in China at a Shaolin monastery, while the richer of their acquaintances did their training in Japan.   It's the classic social comedy of manners and romance between Lizzy Bennet & Mr. Darcy, except that they must pause in their romantic sparring periodically to neutralize one or more of the Infected.  If you thought Wickham was a bad boy in the original, just wait to see what he gets up to when the potential annihilation of the human way of life is on the line.

Lily James is the It Girl right now.  'Cousin Rose' from Downton Abbey seems like she's everywhere these days, and her range is very impressive.  From 'Darkest Hour' to 'Mamma Mia! 2' without batting an eye.  Somewhere along the line she did this little joint, and can add 'Action Heroine' to her resume.  She's got the distinction of putting down zombie hordes while impeccably attired in Regency fashions . .that's gotta be harder than it looks.   Everyone involved seems to be having a ball.  Sir Charles Dance is Mr. Bennet and Sally Phillips (Bridget Jones's Diary) is Mrs. Bennet.  There's even a Colin Firth Darcy homage scene.  

If I haven't convinced you already . . . Matt Smith (aka the Eleventh Doctor) is 'Mr. Collins'.

1 hour ago, Hikari said:

An unexpectedly delightful discovery last night.  Had you told me even a month ago that I'd be watching this movie, I would have said you were daft.  But I saw the trailer and just had to give it a go.

PRIDE & PREJUDICE & ZOMBIES (2016) 

It's the familiar tale of Mr. and Mrs. Bennet and their 5 marriageable daughters . . with a twist.  For some hundreds of years, a zombie plague has rampaged across their fair isle, so in addition to learning the deportment and genteel skills of every well-bred Regency young lady, the Bennet girls, along with all of their set, have studied martial arts and other anti-zombie techniques in the Far East.  The Bennets being less well-off than other gentleborn of their circle did their training in China at a Shaolin monastery, while the richer of their acquaintances did their training in Japan.   It's the classic social comedy of manners and romance between Lizzy Bennet & Mr. Darcy, except that they must pause in their romantic sparring periodically to neutralize one or more of the Infected.  If you thought Wickham was a bad boy in the original, just wait to see what he gets up to when the potential annihilation of the human way of life is on the line.

Lily James is the It Girl right now.  'Cousin Rose' from Downton Abbey seems like she's everywhere these days, and her range is very impressive.  From 'Darkest Hour' to 'Mamma Mia! 2' without batting an eye.  Somewhere along the line she did this little joint, and can add 'Action Heroine' to her resume.  She's got the distinction of putting down zombie hordes while impeccably attired in Regency fashions . .that's gotta be harder than it looks.   Everyone involved seems to be having a ball.  Sir Charles Dance is Mr. Bennet and Sally Phillips (Bridget Jones's Diary) is Mrs. Bennet.  There's even a Colin Firth Darcy homage scene.  

If I haven't convinced you already . . . Matt Smith (aka the Eleventh Doctor) is 'Mr. Collins'.

Did you read the book? I quite enjoyed it, but I somehow missed the movie. I really need to get in the Netflix habit again and catch up on all these things.

44 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Did you read the book? I quite enjoyed it, but I somehow missed the movie. I really need to get in the Netflix habit again and catch up on all these things.

Have not read the Zombie edition of P&P . .only the original, like . . four or five times.  

Zombie-fighting is so visual, not to mention zombie grotesqueness .  . . not sure how that would translate to print nearly as well.

4 hours ago, Hikari said:

Had you told me even a month ago that I'd be watching this movie, I would have said you were daft.

Part of me felt the same way, and another part of me couldn’t help but watch this.  It looked almost too outrageous not to watch, lol.  I never made it to a theater showing, but I saw it playing on TV and figured, “Why not.”  It is fun and pretty well done, for what it is.  The way they intertwined the zombie apocalypse with the novel was funny, more so if you know the story well.