Recently watched movies

"Klaus" on Netflix.

Normally this is one I would have passed over.  But after reading an article about the production process and its risky venture into traditional 2D animation, I decided to give it a watch if for no other reason than to support 2D animation, which I would like to see make a comeback.

I was pleasantly surprised.  It was funny and very cute.  I would unbegrudgingly watch it again sometime.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/5/2019 at 12:28 AM, Artemis said:

I decided to give it a watch if for no other reason than to support 2D animation, which I would like to see make a comeback.

Hear, hear!

This movie looks sad but good.

In the next few weeks I’m also looking forward to “Little Women”, “Richard Jewell”, “1917”, and “Jumanji: The Next Level”.  And of course I will see “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker”.  Hope I get some movie time!

Frozen 2

8/10

After the overrated first movie I wanted to skip this one, but after attending two funerals in one week I really needed to see something light hearted to distract myself. It's actually better than the first one, definitely more funny. Olaf is the best part of the movie, I liked him so much I went to see the it twice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good to hear, I could use a lift myself, without having to think about it too much. :-) 

I'm not sure what it says about me that Disney movie humor is about the only kind of movie humor I actually laugh at.....

I just saw "The Rise of Skywalker". I liked it... Mostly. But it didn't really fit with the previous films. Seemed to me like some major plot decisions were made very late and then retconned in. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, T.o.b.y said:

Seemed to me like some major plot decisions were made very late and then retconned in. 

I haven't seen the film yet (it doesn't even open here till tomorrow, though I suppose there may be "midnight" showings occurring right about now).  But I've been wondering just how they were gonna tie everything together, especially considering that one of their major actors died unexpectedly.  They must have had quite a time trying to make the best of it!

Alex has been saying maybe we should skip the theater this time and just get the DVD, but I figure we've come this far with it, so I'd like to see the finale on the big screen.  Will probably wait a week or two, then take in a weekday matinee.

I'm torn. I didn't like the (recent) films leading up to it, and it's getting slammed by the critics. I don't actually care what happens to any of the characters, now that Luke and Han are gone. But still … as you say, I've come this far with it, seems a shame not to see it through to the end. If movies didn't cost so dang much it would be different …...

I think I'm actually more inclined to see Frozen, if I see anything. Although it's so freakin' cold out there right now, my chief desire is to not poke my nose out the door; heaven knows how a movie taking place in the snow would affect me.

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I don't actually care what happens to any of the characters, now that Luke and Han are gone.

Not asking for any spoilers (!), but the title seems to indicate that Luke is still a factor, one way or another.  Apparently no Han, though (albeit we did not see the body), and he was my favorite major character.  And Leia will presumably be more of a token character this time, due to Carrie Fisher's untimely death.

So I guess that leaves us with the kids, and all geared up for a fourth trilogy?   :blink:

5 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Alex has been saying maybe we should skip the theater this time and just get the DVD, but I figure we've come this far with it, so I'd like to see the finale on the big screen.

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

But still … as you say, I've come this far with it, seems a shame not to see it through to the end.

^ That's basically why I'll be seeing it in theaters too.

I actually rather liked "The Last Jedi", but I'm feeling pretty blasé about this trilogy overall.

I don't want to spoil anything but... Just let me say that while yes, it's primarily about the new gang, most of the main characters from the old trilogy feature in some way too. 

CGI has come a long way. 

Arcadia, I think there are some elements that you'll like. 

I was actually in tears twice. And I don't regret buying the tickets. 

But then, I am easy to please... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm torn. I didn't like the (recent) films leading up to it, and it's getting slammed by the critics. I don't actually care what happens to any of the characters, now that Luke and Han are gone. But still … as you say, I've come this far with it, seems a shame not to see it through to the end. If movies didn't cost so dang much it would be different …...

I think I'm actually more inclined to see Frozen, if I see anything. Although it's so freakin' cold out there right now, my chief desire is to not poke my nose out the door; heaven knows how a movie taking place in the snow would affect me.

frozen 2 is not taking place in the snow, at least not until the end of the movie.

• Thanks 2

Well, have just seen it. A bit mixed emotions have I.

Going to a cinema was obligatory. I mean, I've seen all of them on a big screen. Choosing a time where the room was filled with chatting, popcorn-eating, fidgety schoolkids was definitely bad idea. Bless my earplugs.

I think the problem with this Trilogy is too much characters and too much storylines. I mean, how many important characters were added through Ep 5 and 6? Jabba, Yoda, Lando, The Imperator… who else? The old movies were practically about 3 main characters, two villains, two droids and a Wookie.

My personal problem is that I don't like a single character, since the Return of the Jedi was out. It's hard to follow someone's struggle with the Dark Side, if you want to slap them every time they appear on the screen. That's about both Annakin and Kylo. Sorry…

Spoiler

What made me cheer internally though was giving Chewie his hard deserved, long overdue medal and a glimpse of Wedge Antilles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, J.P. said:

Well, have just seen it. A bit mixed emotions have I.

Going to a cinema was obligatory. I mean, I've seen all of them on a big screen. Choosing a time where the room was filled with chatting, popcorn-eating, fidgety schoolkids was definitely bad idea. Bless my earplugs.

I think the problem with this Trilogy is too much characters and too much storylines. I mean, how many important characters were added through Ep 5 and 6? Jabba, Yoda, Lando, The Imperator… who else? The old movies were practically about 3 main characters, two villains, two droids and a Wookie.

My personal problem is that I don't like a single character, since the Return of the Jedi was out. It's hard to follow someone's struggle with the Dark Side, if you want to slap them every time they appear on the screen. That's about both Annakin and Kylo. Sorry…

Spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

What made me cheer internally though was giving Chewie his hard deserved, long overdue medal and a glimpse of Wedge Antilles.

For some strange reason, I can't read what's in your spoiler box (I think it's white on white). 

But otherwise - yeah, I agree that the new characters aren't half as lovable as the old ones. Finn (or is it Fynn or...?) is ok imho but I don't have any deep emotional connection to him. I kinda warmed to Rey in the last movie though which I hadn't expected to happen. 

As for Kylo... Sigh. The actor did a good job I think but the character is just so, I dunno, lame? Especially by comparison with Vader. 

What I liked most about The Rise of Skywalker were some of the overarching themes, or at least what I perceived those to be. It was a very feminine film in my opinion and I predict that it will get as much hate for that, if not more, as for its artistic flaws. 

OK, since the last update I can apparently no longer make sense of the forum. 

Why is my reply inside the quote box...? 

1 hour ago, J.P. said:

The old movies were practically about 3 main characters, two villains, two droids and a Wookie.

I object to your classification -- Wookies are clearly characters!   :P   Well, OK, Chewie isn't a *main* character.  And I will reluctantly concede the droids.  Well, provisionally at least.

26 minutes ago, T.o.b.y said:

For some strange reason, I can't read what's in your spoiler box (I think it's white on white).

Right, white on white.  You can make it visible by highlighting it (as though you were planning to copy it).  Then it'll be white on blue.

27 minutes ago, T.o.b.y said:

Why is my reply inside the quote box...? 

Because that happens sometimes.  :D  Once it happens, the only cure I've found is to copy your actual reply, then hide or delete the entire post.  Then create a new post and paste your saved content into it.

In order to avoid the whole thing happening again, it may help to go ahead and paste your saved reply into the Reply/Edit box and add one or two blank lines at the top.  Position the cursor in the (top) blank line, and *then* go back to the post you want to quote and click Quote.  (Though maybe the problem is just a random occurrence, and creating the post ahead of time is merely my superstitious little ritual.)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

You can make it visible by highlighting it (as though you were planning to copy it).  Then it'll be white on blue.

That works when I’m on desktop, but not on mobile.  :bemused: 

2 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Once it happens, the only cure I've found is to copy your actual reply, then hide or delete the entire post.  Then create a new post and paste your saved content into it.

How does one delete a post?  Do you have to be a mod?

I wish we could access the BBCode for editing again.  That was so handy, easy to delete a quote/spoiler box that way.

3 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

You can make it visible by highlighting it (as though you were planning to copy it).  Then it'll be white on blue.

1 hour ago, Artemis said:

That works when I’m on desktop, but not on mobile.

I just tried it on my cellphone (Android, using Chrome) and it works.  Do you know how to highlight on a cellphone?  Dunno how many of them work like this, but on mine I press down firmly for a second or two on the first word of what I want to highlight (or in this case, where I hope that word might be), until a little box springs up around the word, with two little handles.  Then I just drag one of the handles to the end of the to-be-highlighted text.  I have no idea whether this works if you're using Tapatalk or if you're on an iphone, etc.

How does one delete a post?  Do you have to be a mod?

Yup.  But you should be able to hide it, at least on a computer.

I wish we could access the BBCode for editing again.  That was so handy, easy to delete a quote/spoiler box that way.

:cry:   You and me both!

1 hour ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Do you know how to highlight on a cellphone? 

Yeah, I know how, but it still doesn’t work on either my phone or my iPad.  The highlighting shows, but the words don’t.

Exhibit A:

c836b2bccce836743654fbeefa7f03370c4d3115

• Sad 1

Yeah, I know how, but it still doesn’t work on either my phone or my iPad.  The highlighting shows, but the words don’t. Exhibit A: c836b2bccce836743654fbeefa7f03370c4d3115.png
I made 1000 posts already? Woohoo! :party:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:
8 hours ago, Artemis said:

Me three!

Okay, y'all have just about convinced me that I must go see this thing. I actually really liked Rey in the first movie, but the 2nd movie … somehow it didn't engage me. Maybe it was too obviously just filler? Ah well.

• Like 1

I’ve been really bored by Rey in both movies.  Haven’t been riveted with the other characters either, but for me, Rey is the dullest of them.

The dullest one to me is the "handsome" white guy fighter pilot who's name I've never been able to remember. I can't even figure out why he's there, he doesn't seem to have any bearing on the plot. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

The dullest one to me is the "handsome" white guy fighter pilot who's name I've never been able to remember. I can't even figure out why he's there, he doesn't seem to have any bearing on the plot. 

I think he's supposed to be the "new Han Solo" and just for that, I resent him. He can't hold a candle to Han. 

My favorite of the new main chars used to be Finn. Now after the last movie, it is Rey, to my great surprise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1