Detective

Recently watched movies

2 hours ago, T.o.b.y said:

I think he's supposed to be the "new Han Solo"

That was my impression too.

But I never liked Han Solo (Harrison Ford yes, Han Solo no), so I’ve got no beef with New Han.  I’ve got no feelings about him at all, really, except that I find his truculence mildly irritating.

• Like 1

I remember praying at the beginning of the 1st part: "Dear Force, don't let him be Han's son." Those bedroom eyes…
And then the Force answered my prayers and gave me the guy with looks I'm allergic to. Sorry, Adam, you are probably a great actor, but you are SOOO not my cup of tea…

Actually, my fav of the new characters are Maz Kanata (the little lady with big goggles) and Rose, a character that seems to be dropped by the producers because of the hate she was met with. What a beeping shame.

As for Chewie being (or not) a main character - does he have a solo scene beside the one with the Porg bbq?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, J.P. said:

As for Chewie being (or not) a main character - does he have a solo scene beside the one with the Porg bbq?

I've already conceded that he's not a *main* character.  At first I thought you meant he wasn't a character at all, due to being a Wookie rather than a human, but then I noticed the "main" in there.  I definitely consider him a character, but I'm torn as to whether C3PO and R2D2 are (they're basically machines, aren't they? but they function as characters).

8 hours ago, Artemis said:

But I never liked Han Solo (Harrison Ford yes, Han Solo no), 

Yay Artemis! Although I didn't dislike Han … I just liked almost everyone else better. I will say I warmed up to him a bit in Empire … but then, I warmed up to almost everyone in Empire (my fave of all the films) so he still remained low in the overall standings. :D 

• Like 2
  • Tongue 1

44 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Although I didn't dislike Han … I just liked almost everyone else better.

Ditto.

4 hours ago, J.P. said:

Actually, my fav of the new characters are Maz Kanata (the little lady with big goggles) and Rose, a character that seems to be dropped by the producers because of the hate she was met with. What a beeping shame.

Ditto again, I love Rose!  It’s terrible the hostility she faced, what is wrong with people.  :bemused: 

4 hours ago, J.P. said:

Actually, my fav of the new characters are Maz Kanata (the little lady with big goggles) and Rose, a character that seems to be dropped by the producers because of the hate she was met with.

I remember Maz Kanata (thanks to your description).  Which character is Rose?

Rose is the one who paired up with Finn to find the Master Codebreaker in "The Last Jedi".  They were together for most of the movie.

newcomer-rose-tico-has-been-around-in-th

• Thanks 1

Thanks!  So why didn't people like her?

2 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

As far as I can tell, because she's female and not conventionally attractive enough. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Unpopular opinion: I had a crush on Han Solo 😊

A side note: I have to say that, sadly, it was very visible that there is someone else inside Chewie's fur. I miss Peter Mayhew. :(

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J.P. said:

A side note: I have to say that, sadly, it was very visible that there is someone else inside Chewie's fur. I miss Peter Mayhew. :(

What's unpopular about a crush on Han Solo? Welcome to the club! 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, T.o.b.y said:
22 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

As far as I can tell, because she's female and not conventionally attractive enough. 

I didn't know she was unpopular, but the reason doesn't surprise me. I thought she was great.

11 hours ago, J.P. said:

If I knew this, I had forgotten.  I don't remember noticing, tbh. In fact, I don't even remember Chewie being in it.

8 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I didn't know she was unpopular, but the reason doesn't surprise me. I thought she was great.

As far as I remember the actress had to quit her SM account(s) - she got harassed even before the movie was out.
Welcome to the Dark Side of fandoms. :(

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 12/22/2019 at 9:32 AM, J.P. said:

On 12/22/2019 at 2:37 PM, T.o.b.y said:

What's unpopular about a crush on Han Solo? Welcome to the club! 

That makes at least three of us!   :D   At first I regarded Han as sort of a cardboard character, but then realized that A} the whole movie was a take-off on the old Saturday matinee movies, so he was supposed to be a bit cardboardy; and B} there was more to the character than I had noticed at first (due to Ford's performance, including some lines that he invented).  I had never heard of Harrison Ford before, but he's never disappointed me.

On 12/22/2019 at 9:32 AM, J.P. said:

I have to say that, sadly, it was very visible that there is someone else inside Chewie's fur. I miss Peter Mayhew.

Me too.   :(   He wasn't physically able to do some of the scenes in the first new movie, so whenever we saw Chewie moving around on his feet it was Mayhew's double Joonas Suotamo.  I haven't seen the latest film yet, but I thought Suotamo did well enough in the second new one (with Mayhew credited as "Chewbacca consultant").  I'm not sure anyone could fully replace Mayhew in the role; he was quite a unique individual.

Han grew on me in 2. movie, but maybe it was me who had to grow up. I was 10 as I saw the 1. one.

Joonas Suotamo is playing Chewie in The Rise but I didn't notice a difference in the othet parts.

Last night I watched a new, "dark retelling" of "A Christmas Carol".  It's an FX original movie, also available on Hulu (for free) and Amazon (for $3).  It is 3 hours long.  I enjoyed it to start, it was different but interesting.  His quirks and idiosyncrasies were reminiscent of an evil Sherlock Holmes, lol.  I appreciated the deeper exploration of his past, which has only been hinted at and glossed over in other versions.  It certainly delivered on the "dark".  But I felt it started to go a bit downhill in the last hour, and the ending for me fell flat.  I would still say it was worth watching, if only for something unique and different from the norm at Christmas.

web_largecoverart_series_a-christmas-car

50 minutes ago, besleybean said:

now I am in Italy!

Spending Christmas with your offspring?

I took a chance on "Holmes and Watson".  Normally I steer clear of Will Ferrell's films, I'm not a fan of his humor.

It was about what I expected, but it had its moments.  Holmes' emotional suppression and devotion to logic lead to him accuse Watson of a crime, which could be a tragic and interesting plot twist in a more serious setting.

On 12/19/2019 at 3:46 PM, T.o.b.y said:

I just saw "The Rise of Skywalker". I liked it... Mostly. But it didn't really fit with the previous films. Seemed to me like some major plot decisions were made very late and then retconned in. 

I saw it on Sunday, and I agree that it didn't fit.  I felt I was watching a different story than the first two had been telling.  For me it was quite disjointed.  There were sudden plot turns that didn't make a lot of sense or have enough build-up, and there were promising plot developments in the first two films that were never readdressed or built on in this one at all.  Ultimately it all became disappointingly formulaic.  I was also quite disappointed by some of the character deaths, and the end was unsatisfying.  I left the theater with an odd mix of emotions, something between bummed out and numbness.

On the plus side, I thought the older characters were treated with respect and given the most meaningful moments, and D-O and those space horses/orbaks (?) were cuuute.  Always love the droids and the animals.

As an addendum: Although I’m glad for the careful treatment of the older characters, I also feel that it caused the story to suffer.  Too much of it was weaved around trying to give them emotional screen time and proper goodbyes.  I think the film would have been more creative, cohesive, and better served without them.

1 hour ago, Artemis said:

I thought the older characters were treated with respect and given the most meaningful moments....

I guess I can go see it, then!

• Haha 1

Man in black International 5/10

Man, this movie is boring as hell! Which is a shame because it has such a good cast! Unfortunately, the red herring in this movie is far too obvious and ruins the plot twist!

^ I rather agree, it was missing something.