Detective

Recently watched movies

Saw Jumanji 2, it was a bit long, but fun with some lol moments.

Watched Togo, I loveeeeee the dogs.

And this is definitely unpopular opinion: I hate Star Wars. Will go to extra length not having to see it, including this year, when I fortunately have to work instead of joining our friends who came to visit and wanted to experience cinema here (they didn't find it good, so they said). The only time I couldn't escape was when we were invited to premiere event (not actual premiere, but premiere in the country we were in) by acquaintances that we couldn't refuse, I think that was the first of modern series. As if it wasn't bad enough, we were forced to pose with huge poster as background and playing with the saber (?) and I remember dreading that day so much as it ruined my Christmas holiday for a bit, although in actuality, it wasn't that bad, and watchable, although I have no love for it. The only redeeming quality of Star Wars in my opinion is that my dog have chewbacca look once in a while. 'duck from flying tomatoes" well, since I could use more tomatoes, while I'm at it, I don't like Star Trek (except the Khan) and Lord of The Ring... (wohooo, harvesting time!!)

• Tongue 1

Just so you know, I never toss tomatoes. I only toss rotten eggs.

You have another job now?

• Tongue 1

Rotten? They are not good for omelet and tedious to catch!

Job, I'd like to say yes. As my rant back then, I left a decent job because I felt nutter and nutter by day with cheaper and cheaper soul, which I never regret.

Now I'm trying to do something by myself, self employed, something that requires none of the skills I have (actually it's more like blue collar job with low skill that anyone can do) with 'still' sucky-negative pay, long hour, hard work but mentally more fulfilling. I spent a lot of time and savings for preparation and it has been running for one and half month. So now I have to see if this 'job' could pay bills in the future (now no, NOT). It's scary, discouraging at times but I almost never regret my decisions once I make them and as far as I have been living I hardly played it safe anyway. But this time is different animal altogether, I really really hope I can make it because I have no energy left to go back to office or corporate works. People has been criticizing that I'm wasting my experiences, ladders, connections I have made during my career but what ladder? what career? all I see is too many politics I am not willing to play which limit or freeze these two factors, human flaws, pretentiousness and annoying systems and money worshippers that stain the works that I like way too much that I no longer find enjoyment. At the very least, I hope I have more control about all those now.

Now can you pass to me, those fresh eggs nicely?

Back to the topic, anyone watch Ip Man 4? It's Chinese movie but I think internationally shown.

Back in the day when first Ip Man was shown, I heard many praises about it, but only caught the three of them about a year ago and it leaves good impression in my mind, eventhough I have to say that the storylines are all very similar, but I think what makes it special it's because there are hearts in it. I like the main lead and his portrayal, and impress that such person exists, eventhough of course there are level of fiction but this is not meant to be a documentary or maybe even a biopic. The only guilt I have watching these are the urge to have the ability to beat up bad people. Because, why not!

22 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Now I'm trying to do something by myself, self employed, something that requires none of the skills I have (actually it's more like blue collar job with low skill that anyone can do) with 'still' sucky-negative pay, long hour, hard work but mentally more fulfilling. I spent a lot of time and savings for preparation and it has been running for one and half month. So now I have to see if this 'job' could pay bills in the future (now no, NOT). It's scary, discouraging at times but I almost never regret my decisions once I make them and as far as I have been living I hardly played it safe anyway. But this time is different animal altogether, I really really hope I can make it because I have no energy left to go back to office or corporate works. People has been criticizing that I'm wasting my experiences, ladders, connections I have made during my career but what ladder? what career? all I see is too many politics I am not willing to play which limit or freeze these two factors, human flaws, pretentiousness and annoying systems and money worshippers that stain the works that I like way too much that I no longer find enjoyment. At the very least, I hope I have more control about all those now.

Welcome to my world! Money is a constant worry, but every time I think about going back to work for someone else … urgh. I just can't do it. I suppose if I got hungry enough, but so far I've managed. No, I don't travel, take elaborate vacations, go to movies, own expensive things at the same rate most people seem to … but I can't say I miss any of that very much. I mean, I would have some of those things if I could, but since I can't … it's really not so bad as some people make it out to be.

My biggest concern right now is being able to afford the internet … it's just getting too freakin' expensive. I suppose I can spend a lot more time in coffee shops if I have to. But I'd rather not...…. But do I want internet badly enough to get a "real" job to pay for it? Hmmmm. We'll see.

• Like 1

And this is definitely unpopular opinion: I hate Star Wars. Will go to extra length not having to see it, including this year, when I fortunately have to work instead of joining our friends who came to visit and wanted to experience cinema here (they didn't find it good, so they said). The only time I couldn't escape was when we were invited to premiere event (not actual premiere, but premiere in the country we were in) by acquaintances that we couldn't refuse, I think that was the first of modern series. As if it wasn't bad enough, we were forced to pose with huge poster as background and playing with the saber (?) and I remember dreading that day so much as it ruined my Christmas holiday for a bit, although in actuality, it wasn't that bad, and watchable, although I have no love for it. The only redeeming quality of Star Wars in my opinion is that my dog have chewbacca look once in a while. 'duck from flying tomatoes" well, since I could use more tomatoes, while I'm at it, I don't like Star Trek (except the Khan) and Lord of The Ring... (wohooo, harvesting time!!)
I have an even more unpopular opinion which would definitely be considered blasphemy in the UK: I don't like Monty Python and the holy grail, I simply watched it out of curiosity because I wanted to know why it was so beloved in the first place. And the movie is just a giant old hat with overquoted lines! Spamelot was more amusing than this movie.

9 minutes ago, Fantasy Lover said:

giant old hat with overquoted lines

Well, it might be that it was the source of the quotes.
But I don't like it either.

18 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Now I'm trying to do something by myself, self employed,

Good luck to you!  (And you too, Arcadia!)  I'm not strictly self-employed but I have been freelancing off and on for about 10 years, and I'm trying to transition out of it for awhile.  I'm burnt out on contract work, and would like to find something more stable and consistent, if that still exists.

• Thanks 1

I watched "Brightburn" last night.  It was really gory in a few places, I even had to look away during one or two scenes.  But I found the premise intriguing ("What if Superman were an evil psychopath instead of kind and good?").  I'd like to see more "What if" explorations of this type.

I watched "Fast Color" the night before on Prime.  It wasn't bad, but it could have been better.  The story wasn't executed all that well, especially the closer it got to the end.  I think it would have made a better series than a movie, given the story a chance to flesh out.  I think I heard somewhere that Amazon is planning a series based on the film, so it'll be interesting to see how that goes.

5 hours ago, Artemis said:

I found the premise intriguing ("What if Superman were an evil psychopath instead of kind and good?").

I think I might prefer "What if Superman were (except for his superpowers) a fairly typical human being, warts and all?  (Sort of like Peter Falk's description of Columbo as a perfectly average fellow, except that he's the world's greatest detective.)  That would interest me a whole lot more than the gory version!

• Like 2

The 'problem' for me is I have to have internet, it's essential for my operation, on top of other things. therefore there are constant monthly expenses that I have to cover, rent etc etc. This is something that I hope is sustainable enough for the future, as in something that won't be obsolete very soon, that can't be replaced by online.

Anyway, Brightburn. I believe I had watched it and talked about it back then, but can't remember much except that I quite like it.

I watched Bombshell (7/10) and actually like the way it was represented. Actually from many many many other things that I resent about modern world, the enlightenment of something wrong in powerful people harassing subordinate for positions, works or others is imo one thing that I cherish upon, at the very least, it's more okay to speak up now. I remember the days when everyone brush it aside, o that is something you have to do (sexual favour) if you want to achieve this and that, it is known. There are pro and cons of course, but I'd say it's pro, eventhough I can't trust human integrity, at the very least, now they have to consider the possibility of being exposed and brought down, unlike back then when they are behind unbreakable shield.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 11:48 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

I think I might prefer "What if Superman were (except for his superpowers) a fairly typical human being, warts and all?

Meh, I’ve seen it done. I don’t think the OG Superman is all that superhuman in terms of wants and needs and emotions anyway.  He’s about as human as anyone.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

The 'problem' for me is I have to have internet, it's essential for my operation, on top of other things. therefore there are constant monthly expenses that I have to cover, rent etc etc. This is something that I hope is sustainable enough for the future, as in something that won't be obsolete very soon, that can't be replaced by online.

Same same. It's hard, and sometimes pretty stressful. But lugging myself into a workplace I hated everyday was harder.

I watched "Brightburn" last night.  It was really gory in a few places, I even had to look away during one or two scenes.  But I found the premise intriguing ("What if Superman were an evil psychopath instead of kind and good?").  I'd like to see more "What if" explorations of this type.
The fact is that Man of steel got a lot of criticism for the fact that Superman does a huge amount of property damage without caring about civilians and murdering the bad guy. So I'm not so sure that the fans will like that. 

Lugging myself into a workplace I hated everyday was harder.
I feel you, one of my new years resolutions is to find a different job. I'm so done with the work I have to do, my colleagues, my boss and especially my lousy paycheck. 

Go for it, Fantasy! I had a couple jobs like that, best thing I ever did for myself was get out of them and into something else. Of course, I quit those too, eventually.... :D 

Thanks! I could use the encouragement, because I'm afraid I set rather high standards for my next job, I doubt I'll ever find a job that meets my requirements.

9 hours ago, Fantasy Lover said:

The fact is that Man of steel got a lot of criticism for the fact that Superman does a huge amount of property damage without caring about civilians and murdering the bad guy. So I'm not so sure that the fans will like that. 

“Brightburn” wasn’t about Clark Kent’s Superman though, he was a different character with the same powers.

9 hours ago, Fantasy Lover said:

I feel you, one of my new years resolutions is to find a different job. I

Same here.  Good luck!

Good luck to all job seekers everywhere! I know it's a humiliating experience, but there does seem to be more opportunities opening up (unless you're hoping for factory work? :wacko: ) so it's a good time to give it a shot. May the work Force be with you!

• Thanks 1

Brightburn” wasn’t about Clark Kent’s Superman though, he was a different character with the same powers.
Oh my bad, I really thought it was about evil superman.
Same here. Good luck!
Good luck to you as well!

Just got home from seeing 1917. Easily one of the best movies I have seen in a long, long time. Horrific, yes, but in the way that a good war movie should be … not gory or sensationalized, but not glossing it over, either. Amazing cinematography, great soundtrack, good story. 

Oh, and both BC and Andrew Scott are in it for about 2 minutes each. They both do fine. :smile: 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Just got home from seeing 1917. Easily one of the best movies I have seen in a long, long time. Horrific, yes, but in the way that a good war movie should be … not gory or sensationalized, but not glossing it over, either. Amazing cinematography, great soundtrack, good story. 

Oh, and both BC and Andrew Scott are in it for about 2 minutes each. They both do fine. :smile: 

Me too!  And I agree with every word.  The acting was phenomenal as well, I felt everything acutely.  It was intense, which is usually not my cup of tea; but man, was it good.  I don't know how much of it was a true presentation of actual events and how much was embellished, but regardless, I have a deep admiration for the men whose story this was based on.  It took enormous determination and fortitude to do what they did.

• Like 1

Thankfully have at last been able to pre-order the dvd!

• Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 10:12 PM, Artemis said:

The acting was phenomenal as well, I felt everything acutely.  It was intense....

Oh lord yes. I had put my jacket in my lap; half the time I was clutching it like a security blanket.

On 1/13/2020 at 1:31 AM, besleybean said:

Thankfully have at last been able to pre-order the dvd!

This is one of those movies that is best appreciated on a big screen, though. I'd encourage you (and the Dabbler :smile: ) to see it at least once in the cinema. One with a good sound system. :smile: 

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

This is one of those movies that is best appreciated on a big screen, though. I'd encourage you (and the Dabbler :smile: ) to see it at least once in the cinema. One with a good sound system. :smile: 

^ I second that.

• Tongue 1

Starter For 10 (2006). I'd forgotten this film. Set in the 80s at Bristol University James McAvoy get into uni and then works at getting on the team for University Challenge. A fun little film.

If you haven't seen it Benedict Cumberbatch is the Bristol UC team. Mark Gatiss is the UC host. If you haven't seen or don't like UC then it may seem a little dull but it's still worth watching for the performances.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1