Some Interesting Logic Puzzles

JimmyNeutron

I once attended a talk by a former military code-related person (which was all he would say about his involvement; apparently it was still classified). The title of the talk was "Terces Dna Tnegru," and there was a little prize for the first person to decode it.

I fussed with it for days, assuming it was a substitution cipher, but got nowhere. The winner was able to see that it was merely spelt backwards!

• Like 1

I think that it’s a trap that we all fall into at some point. I wonder if our brains are becoming slightly immune to simple explanations and so we can tend to subconsciously shy away from them? It’s a complicated world after all. Is this part of the reason why people are drawn to conspiracy theories?

Interesting conjecture!

So maybe Sherlock isn't the only one who wants everything to be clever?

Maybe we feel that it makes things more interesting? I can’t recall the exact stories or quotes but Holmes was often accused of seeking a more complex solution when a simpler one was at hand (ok so he was always right

Well, I tend to agree, at least to some extent, with the JFK conspiracy theories, based simply on the Zapruder film.  If it weren't for that, I'd probably agree with you.

If I could recall the name/author of a book I read, I'd recommend it to you!  ;)

And here's another puzzle from the book:

tumblr_oydpe1YjKr1qkgkowo1_500.jpg

I've thought of two possibilities, but I haven't gotten very far with either one so far:

1.  The "language of flowers" might be involved (e.g., a red rose means "I love you" and so one), but I haven't looked up to see what the flowers mentioned might mean.  Nor does this sound like the sort of thing that Sherlock might consider worth wasting his megabytes on.

2.  The two irises could represent the irises of Sherlock's two eyes, and the tulip could represent his two lips.  Again, I haven't gotten any further than that.

• Like 1

I think it's a (very) far stretch, maybe it's the insult of indicating that Sherlock is a stoner, fake, immature and narcissist?

Daffodil is also known as Narcissus, the myth of Narcissus is someone who is so obsessed and enamored with himself. It also has alkaloid, which is source of recreational drug purpose eventhough it's known more for Alzheimer.

Two irises, in a way, it's mostly works of photoshop that was more like a hoax, pupula duplex, as myth and fake story, it's different with real eye condition polycoria where there is more than one pupillary opening within an iris.

Orchid and tulip. There is a mix breed of this two, anguloa, that known to resemble baby in a crib.

So those: drug, narcissist, fake, immature?

But those are all over the place,.and far stretch. Also, I believe the young and polite comment and 'M'." should have some significant?

• Like 1

I’m impressed with the thinking guys. Very imaginative.

This one has me stumped at the moment. My only thought (and it’s not much of one) is that the key might be the card and the fact that Mrs Hudson said ‘w’ but Sherlock said ‘m’ so is ‘upside down’ some kind of clue?

• Like 1

Clearly this one was intended for the goldfish, as I got it right away. 

Hint: the "language of flowers" is a scarlet rollmop.

It's simply the first letters of the flowers forming an anagram: IIDTO. Hudders just read the M upside down.

• Like 2

Clearly this one was intended for the goldfish, as I got it right away. 

Hint: the "language of flowers" is a scarlet rollmop.

It's simply the first letters of the flowers forming an anagram: IIDTO. Hudders just read the M upside down.

Well done!

:rofl:

I feel like the biggest idiot :P

I have to know Arcadia. Can you explain the ‘hint’ please

• Like 1

Well ... Um, never mind ... :whistle:

• Like 1

That's okay, Herlock, I think somebody around here needs to be slower than me from time to time! :p

• Like 1

Besides, we all started somewhere.  In fact, as Arcadia just pointed out, we're generally quoting each other a good bit of the time, because we didn't each figure out everything -- one of us figured out one thing, somebody else figured out half of something and and another person figured out the rest, and (probably most of the time!) a bunch more people find neat stuff on the internet.

You've been contributing ACD stuff and info from other adaptations, so you're fitting right in already.

• Like 2

Well ... Um, never mind ... :whistle:

Hey!!

Me can't spell idiot. Me know little English. How do you expect me to solve an anagram!? XD

@Herlock

Actually, I feel I'm less adequate with knowledge about BBC Sherlock only, and my S4 is still based on one watch, and mostly I'm just talking rubbish around here.

So in line with Carol, no worries, I think you are precious precious member :Gollum:

• Like 3

Heck, I knew nothing about anything when I joined, that's why I joined. Alas, now I know a lot about BBC Sherlock, but less about everything else. Had to delete something, y'know. ;)

• Like 1

You are lucky to have delete option. XD

Mine just override anything they want without being selective, and of course instead of useless thing, they choose one that matters. Of course.

I just took a long timeee to remember how old I am when someone asked.

What year.. and..eh.. subtraction, how does it work?

:p

Anymore puzzle?

Btw, does the book come with the answers? And how come you guys get to know the questions, or you have bought the book?