Some Interesting Logic Puzzles

JimmyNeutron

Sherlockology has been posting a few puzzles, in hopes of luring us into buying the book in order to get the answers.  That accounts for the puzzles that have a picture of Sherlock.  I don't know where Herlock has been getting the ones he's posted.

Hi Carol, VBS, Arcadia. The riddles that I posted were from here.

http://www.briddles.com/riddles/sherlock-holmes-questions

• Like 2

Thanks, Herlock!

But let the solver beware -- the answer they give for their first puzzle is wrong.  I assume they had it right, but then made a simple error when writing it down.  It should be

Added:  The method given is far more complicated than necessary -- and I don't offhand see how they could have gotten even that wrong answer by using that method.

• Like 1

This has been fun, and I'm tempted to buy the book. Although the link they provided did not tell me where to get it. If it's not on Amazon, I'm toast.

Meanwhile, would anyone enjoy it if I printed a few more of these here? With a few edits to correct some iffy grammar. :smile: Yes, I am a member of the grammar police.

This one I've seen somewhere before, so it was pretty easy for me:

Scotland Yard inspects a room which has no windows, no doors and no tables. In fact, it is empty except for a puddle of water, and a body of a woman who obviously hung herself from the ceiling. The police are not able to figure out how she did it.

Sherlock and John Watson enter the crime scene and easily solve the case.

How did the woman do it?

She stood on a block of ice and when it melted, she was hung.

Bonus question: how did everyone enter the room if it didn't have any doors or windows?

Beats me, I just noticed the anomaly. :P Maybe there's a skylight?

• Like 1

Ah, there you go -- it's the upstairs room from The Sign of the Four (borrowed by Moftiss for Blind Banker) -- only it's a woman this time.

• Like 1

This has been fun, and I'm tempted to buy the book. Although the link they provided did not tell me where to get it. If it's not on Amazon, I'm toast.

If you follow enough links, you'll eventually find that book on Amazon UK for 9.09 pounds plus shipping to the US (4.48 pounds if you choose Global Standard), totalling about $18 American.

It's also listed on Amazon US, but that's the international edition (whatever that means -- American spelling?), which won't be available till March.  No price listed as yet.

Amazon also refers us to three other Holmes-themed puzzle books:  The Sherlock Holmes Puzzle Collecton (by Dr. John Watson!), Sherlock Holmes' Elementary Puzzle Book, and Sherlock Holmes' Cunning Puzzles.  The first two are well reviewed.  The third one was just released a month ago, and has no reviews as yet.  After reading the reviews, though, I doubt that these books would be up to our standards.  (The positive reviews are short and simple, along the lines of "I love this book!" whereas the negative reviews sound more like us -- they go into detail about errors, inconsistencies, and incompletenesses.)

• Like 1

Thanks Carol. All the links I followed kept leading me back to the same page, then I gave up. March is my birthday month, I can wait until then!

• Like 2

Meanwhile, would anyone enjoy it if I printed a few more of these here?

I would, although it's less fun when the answers are already known.

With a few edits to correct some iffy grammar. :smile: Yes, I am a member of the grammar police.

Oh dear, you must have (had?) been very patient with me..! I always try, but I know there are times (always) when I butchered everything. :(

Eh...is that why you always try to axe me or clonk my head? :o I knew it! It has nothing to do with my sweet behavior, because I always nice to you. :angel1:

This one I've seen somewhere before, so it was pretty easy for me:

Scotland Yard inspects a room which has no windows, no doors and no tables. In fact, it is empty except for a puddle of water, and a body of a woman who obviously hung herself from the ceiling. The police are not able to figure out how she did it.

Sherlock and John Watson enter the crime scene and easily solve the case.

How did the woman do it?

She stood on a block of ice and when it melted, she was hung.

Bonus question: how did everyone enter the room if it didn't have any doors or windows?

Beats me, I just noticed the anomaly. :P Maybe there's a skylight?

I believe we played this before somewhere else.

Always bothered with the answer though, although I believe I gave the same answer before.

melted ice, water always leave some traces; residue, stain, changing of property in the floor material etc etc.

Therefore, I think I have similar but better answer. :p

She was standing on the block of dry ice.

Dry ice is basically CO2 and when it melts it evaporates and leaves no trace. Without door and window, the person would suffocate or pass out and I suppose it's more bearable way to die.

That could be some kind of plant room, pump room or some kind of service room that is only accessible from opening in the ceiling. When SY arrives and opens it fresher air would come in and suspicious level of CO2 would escape.

It could be weapon for perfect murder too.

• Like 4

Meanwhile, would anyone enjoy it if I printed a few more of these here?

I would, although it's less fun when the answers are already known.

With a few edits to correct some iffy grammar. :smile: Yes, I am a member of the grammar police.

Oh dear, you must have (had?) been very patient with me..! I always try, but I know there are times (always) when I butchered everything. :(

Eh...is that why you always try to axe me or clonk my head? :o I knew it! It has nothing to do with my sweet behavior, because I always nice to you. :angel1:

Riiiight. Uh huh.

Okay, will post without answers next time. Will just leave everyone to wonder if they got it right, so there. See how nice I am? :P

• Like 1

Therefore, I think I have similar but better answer. :P

Dry ice is basically CO2 and when it melts it evaporates and leaves no trace. Without door and window, the person would suffocate or pass out and I suppose it's more bearable way to die.

That could be some kind of plant room, pump room or some kind of service room that is only accessible from opening in the ceiling. When SY arrives and opens it fresher air would come in and suspicious level of CO2 would escape.

Sometimes the things you know actually scare me a little bit ... :blink:

• Like 1

Therefore, I think I have similar but better answer. :P

Sometimes the things you know actually scare me a little bit ... :blink:

It's for.. research. I have more theory about the murder/suicide, but I have feelings you guys don't like it. :P

Anyway, no worries, I'm always at the side of the angels. The cakes taste better!

• Like 3