How can I get my computer (or phone) to...?

Here's a place where you can ask other forum members for help with your operating system or other software.

What I need help with is the autocorrect on my phone (I'm using Chrome). I do appreciate the suggestions, because clicking on one of them can save a lot of "keystrokes" on the virtual keyboard. But if I'm happy with what I've typed, it'll sometimes go ahead and "correct" it anyhow in some imaginative (but not appreciated) way. Is there any way to turn that "feature" OFF? This is particularly annoying because it occurs sort of randomly, when I have no reason to be on the lookout for it.

Then I'd just like to bitch about one other thing (which appears to be a bug, so presumably no help for it) -- when I choose one of the autocorrect's suggestions, it sometimes decides that I actually meant something else altogether. (I need to write down some of those gems!). But at least that occurs when I'm aware that I'm using autocorrect, so I can be on the lookout for it.

• Like 2

Are you on an iPhone or an Android phone Carol?  On the iPhone, somewhere in Settings there is an option to turn it off.  I forget where as I don't turn it off, my sister does on hers.  Also with iPhone the 1st option is usually in quotes and is the word you are typing.  If you select that option it should stay with what you typed.  The other thing I've seen is backspacing to the autocorrected word right after it's entered gives you the option fo reverting to what you originally typed.  Can't help you if the OS is Android.

If you are using android phone,

Go to

Settings

--> Language & Input

--> Keyboard (choose your keyboard, if you unsure which one, you can try everyone that have the setting)

--> Advanced Settings

--> Auto correction, there are 3 option (off, low, high) Choose off to completely get rid of them.

I'm getting good (read: typos and mess) in accessing forum solely by phone, because desktop connection sucks and my tablet is broken.

Are you on an iPhone or an Android phone Carol?  On the iPhone, somewhere in Settings there is an option to turn it off.  I forget where as I don't turn it off, my sister does on hers.  Also with iPhone the 1st option is usually in quotes and is the word you are typing.  If you select that option it should stay with what you typed.  The other thing I've seen is backspacing to the autocorrected word right after it's entered gives you the option fo reverting to what you originally typed.  Can't help you if the OS is Android.

Android.  The backspacing thing works, though.  I have to use that when typing in the BBCodes for italics, because it insists on changing the "i" to upper case.

If you are using android phone,

Go to

Settings

--> Language & Input

--> Keyboard (choose your keyboard, if you unsure which one, you can try everyone that have the setting)

--> Advanced Settings

--> Auto correction, there are 3 option (off, low, high) Choose off to completely get rid of them.

I'm getting good (read: typos and mess) in accessing forum solely by phone, because desktop connection sucks and my tablet is broken.

Thanks, VBS, but we apparently have two different versions, because I don't seem to have quite the same options on my phone.  Assuming that I do find the right spot someday, what do low and high actually mean -- any idea?

I think it's the level of auto correction (=how annoying they are) because I find even when it sets at low it's still disruptive.

Which android phone are you using?

Let me see if I can grab some screenshot for you.

I had used a couple of different android brands, the setting path could be different but should be somewhat similar for all android.

n1t11l.jpg

Click on the setting apps, the icon could look different for older android version.

2ewz3pv.jpg

Inside setting, choose language & input (or something similar, usually they have icon with 'A' as seen here.

25ox552.jpg

Choose a keyboard.

Depends on your phone, there are different keyboards. Mine is Asus, that's why I have Asus/ZenUI keyboard. If you have multiple you can trial and error which one is actually matters.

154832e.jpg

If you don't find any auto correction setting/similar, try find advanced setting.

34rhsvs.jpg

There, inside there is an auto correction option.

• Like 2

Split into two post, apparently they don't let me attach too many images.

21c9sn6.jpg

These are the options. You can try them and test which one you like.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you find out, please let me know! ;)

Actually, it should be a simple matter of copying the URL, typing the BBCode by hand, and pasting in the URL. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the hang of the copy-and-paste part.

*Arcadia clutches her laptop protectively.*

• Like 1

My Android phone came with a calendar app, but it doesn't work unless I'm online at the time, which I'm frequently not. So I can't rely on that.

Does anyone know of calendar software that I can download to an Android and thereafter use it without being online?

@Toby, I suppose you are talking about sending the link of the page you are accessing. If yes, just copy and paste like Carol suggests; press on the link until it highlights all of it (turns blue), let go for a bit and some option will appear (Cut, Copy, Paste).

nl4new.jpg

There is another way to get the link, beside the Cut Copy Paste of the above image you see 3 vertical dots, this is for hidden option(s), click on this we have (Share) option, then click on Share

zkoo4j.jpg

And it will then give you various options of sending the link through multiple platform like messenger or email or something else. (For me, I like to use other apps like 'Note Everything' or other simple note apps, and then copy and paste the link manually, especially if I'm trying to share it for forum.

2cr57ra.jpg

• Like 1

My Android phone came with a calendar app, but it doesn't work unless I'm online at the time, which I'm frequently not. So I can't rely on that.

Does anyone know of calendar software that I can download to an Android and thereafter use it without being online?

Search 'Month Calender Widget' on Play Store.

This is a good free apps that you can get from Play Store. (The source of all apps, this should be preinstalled in every android phone).

Download and install Month Calender Widget. It's a bit of effort to activate it, but not difficult.

After it's installed, you can't access the calender yet, but have to do steps:

1. Long press your phone screen, any page, on the background.

This menu will appear:

fu6n8j.jpg

Click on apps&widget.

2. Choose widget tab. (Up left click on widget as it opens on Apps tab by default)

2hqb61e.jpg

3. Choose the calender on bottom row, either one. (There are many preload widgets here, if you can't find it on first page, try swapping to the right for next page)

Long press on it and drop it in your screen, whichever page it fits. Swipe to the right with it for new empty page if you don't have enough space among your other apps shortcut.

This will appear:

23wrw9k.jpg

Click done and the calender should show up in your home screen. You should be able to use this offline.

Tada..

Let me know if it doesn't work.

• Like 1

Does that app allow one to write in appointments and such? That's mostly what I want it for -- sorry, didn't think to mention that!

• 1 month later...

I missed this post.

Actually I don't think it allows you to, because it's more like a widget than actual aps.

I am using Asus built-in calendar and it works fine offline, not sure it's available for download for another phone.

But you can go to Play Store and trial and error for variety of calendar apps. You can just uninstall those that don't meet your requirements as easily. Just read the reviews and pay attentions to access permission that the apps ask, if the permissions don't make sense, then just look for another.

• Like 1

I found a website that tells how to make the calendar that came with my phone work offline, which would suit me just fine.  I just need to figure out the instructions.  This puzzles me, though -- I mean, if it's capable of working offline, why does it need internet access at all?  OK, maybe once a year, to download the holidays, but other than that....

• Like 1

I think it's more for ads revenue,

Or get your habit and (hopefully not) particular to sell to advertisement companies,

Or worse.. phishing..?

But sometimes they do it just because they try to be "unnecessary helpful" to make it easier for you to get updates and whatever..

• Like 1

All of that sounds very plausible, unfortunately -- especially that last part, going beyond being "user friendly" to what I call "user paternalistic."

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I've been happily using my Android phone for a year or two, and recently downloaded a couple of game apps, Solitaire and Sudoku.  Well, to be honest, Alex the IT Guy did it for me.

Those were great, so I asked him to download Tetris and Spell Tower for me too, and that's when a minor problem arose.  I keep getting notifications -- same sort of thing that happens when I get a text message, except that I keep getting these things, apparently ads for new revs and such. At least the text notifications go away when I read the message.  These new things just keep building up.  The whole top line of the screen is full of the little icons.  I don't want the notifications in the first place, and I have no idea how to get rid of them.

Help!!!

I finally got up the courage to open one of those notifications, and when I closed that tab the notification was no longer in the list.  Thus encouraged, I boldly opened each of the rest, and that cleared the entire line. Now all I need is a way to keep them from sending more!  :blink:

Aren't things like that usually located on the settings page of the websites that generate them? Like here ... if I want to turn off notifications for something, I have to go into the forum's settings menu. Are phones different?

Just a note to the moderators to say that my PM issue seems to be fine now.  Messages going through.  Not sure what the earlier glitch was about.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2018 at 8:00 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

I've been happily using my Android phone for a year or two, and recently downloaded a couple of game apps, Solitaire and Sudoku.  Well, to be honest, Alex the IT Guy did it for me.

Those were great, so I asked him to download Tetris and Spell Tower for me too, and that's when a minor problem arose.  I keep getting notifications -- same sort of thing that happens when I get a text message, except that I keep getting these things, apparently ads for new revs and such. At least the text notifications go away when I read the message.  These new things just keep building up.  The whole top line of the screen is full of the little icons.  I don't want the notifications in the first place, and I have no idea how to get rid of them.

Help!!!

You should be able to drag down those notification and select option to 'Clear All'. 

Opening up each notification would take time and expose you to the risk of clicking something you don't want.

My notifications normally show:

- New messages/miss calls/emails

- Data usage warning

- Storage warning

- Battery warning

Those mentioned above would be gone once you clear, but most of the time they would re-appear because they are important (and they better re-appear! As you need to take action to avoid unwanted charges or data lost or respond should you have important call/msg).

Other notifications:

- It's my turn to make a move in a game (Words w Friends)

- result of my screenshot (gallery icon)

- new news of apps that I have

- apps promotion

- download in process/finish

- processing of something, like sharing hotspot (when you share your data with someone)

- weather advice (too hot, too cold)

These normally would go away once you clear, some you can disable but those sneaky apps don't always follow your wish.

• Like 1

I can pull down the notifications just fine, but I don't see any Clear All option. Where would that be?

My main gripe right now is all the notification alert tones. Last night I got one at three a.m., and because we have some family stuff going on, I couldn't just ignore it. Seems like there are more and more of the darned things!

Is there any opt-out feature, the way there (theoretically) is with emails?