Virus in the data

Olivia

I thought I'd contribute a theory to the whole Moriarty back from the dead discussion. Maybe he is dead - or at least will be assumed so for a bit longer - but comes back as a virus. In The Abominable Bride Sherlock uses that particular wording in Victorian times. Maybe it can be considered a joke from modern day Sherlock, but it could also be modern day Sherlock figuring out how Moriarty can be back. 

So... maybe he planned to come back digitally? Not quite sure how fun that episode would be to watch. Sherlock is more hands on than a Hacker, but I can't quite let go of this theory.

Has anyone else though it strange that Sherlock used those words? 

• Like 2

Hmm, I had been taking it as metaphorical, in that Moriarty was the "virus" corrupting the "program" that was Sherlock's pure logic, but you may be onto something. What if he was not as dumb as CAM appeared to be and had a fail-safe built into his network, such that his death would somehow trigger something destructive that only he would have been able to stop?  We've already got him hacking into the security systems of Pentonville Prison, etc, and Sherlock does, as you point out, think of him as a virus.  Maybe something electronic has been triggered that Sherlock has to stop.

I like this idea.  Wonder whether Moftiss thought of it?  If not, it'll make a great fanfic!

Speaking of fanfics, Olivia, we had an unfortunate incident a while back where one forum member mentioned an idea kinda casually, and another member thought it'd make a great fanfic and went off to write it -- and then when she posted the finished story, the first member said hey, you can't steal my concept.  Since you weren't here then, and you've just posted a rather juicy idea, I thought I'd better mention it.  (Though I have no inclination to write such a story myself.)

So it'd be helpful if you'd let everyone know whether A] you retain the right to develop the idea yourself, or B] you don't mind other people putting their spin on it.  Thanks!

We've already got him hacking into the security systems of Pentonville Prison, etc....

Umm, actually, no.  That impossible-sounding universal key code turned out to be a hoax, remember?  (Turned out he had accomplices in each of those places.)  But that doesn't mean he (or some of his people) wasn't / aren't capable of some grand-scale hacking for real.

• Like 3

I actually think this is the most likely thing to have happened. It makes sense and considering that Moriarty *on screen* doesn't happen until Magnussen is killed, it has made me wonder if Moriarty waited until he had made some kind of deal with Magnussen before he took Sherlock on.  He does 'love newspapers', remember, and he would certainly have access to just about anyone useful for sabotaging the security of the places he hit. No-one obeys orders like someone being blackmailed. Plus Moriarty would be able to provide what should have been faultless security for Magnussen, except that he kills himself and Sherlock then takes the network apart.

I think it highly likely that the automatic *kick-in* of something nasty for Sherlock, would be something both the dastardly M's would put in place, as a last resort, just in case.

• Like 2

Hmmmm. Like Boton, I just thought it was a metaphorical reference, but I like this idea too ... the idea that Moriarty was able to think this many steps ahead just makes him an even worthier foe for Sherlock. Interesting.

Welcome to the forum, Molly221B!!! Glad to see you jumping right in, hope we hear from you lots more!

We've already got him hacking into the security systems of Pentonville Prison, etc....

Umm, actually, no.  That impossible-sounding universal key code turned out to be a hoax, remember?  (Turned out he had accomplices in each of those places.)  But that doesn't mean he (or some of his people) wasn't / aren't capable of some grand-scale hacking for real.

No, I know that the key code was a hoax, but I always sort of took it that there was something he was doing behind the scenes, just that he was clever enough to also lead Sherlock down the wrong path at the same time.

And yes, belated welcome to the new voices!  Glad to have you join the insanity! 

So it'd be helpful if you'd let everyone know whether A] you retain the right to develop the idea yourself, or B] you don't mind other people putting their spin on it.  Thanks!

I don't plan on writing this and I don't mind at all if someone else does. Actually, I'd be happy to read it.

I'm really glad to read all your responses, it's nice to know I'm not the only one overthinking this. And this might be a little OT here: but I never quite understood the connection between Moriarty and CAM. Is there one?

• Like 1

I think that's a big unknown, isn't it? I can't think of anything in the show that appeared to connect them, other than being foes of Sherlock. I saw somewhere where someone used Moriarty's remark "I love newspapers" as a link to Magnussen, but that seems mighty flimsy to me.

I read somewhere, can't remember it now and don't have time to dig it.

Virus in the data actually relevant to Victorian era as well, in different context or something. I'm not sure I buy that, but the explanation seemed legit. Maybe, I can find it back..later.. some day.

Anyway, welcome Olivia and Molly221b. Join in the crazies., you will soon believe, if you haven't yet, that we are the normal ones. Those who haven't watched or liked Sherlock are the crazies. Geez, what are they doing in their free time, what is better than thinking and talking about Sherlock? Right right?

Now excuse me, I have to bring my shiny hat and stylish-white-jacket-with-super-long-arms-and-chic-buckles to the laundry.

• Like 1

Eits.. found it.

Victorian Mycroft’s use of the term “virus in the data” sounds jarring, and is clearly intended to create a note of unease about historical accuracy, setting us up for the reveal that nothing is as it seems (the phrase pops up later as “virus in the hard drive”, which can hardly be coincidental). However, there’s nothing inherently inaccurate about the term itself. The word virus dates back to late Middle English, and was originally used to describe the venom from a snake. Before the discovery of microbiology, the term was used to describe noxious substances produced by a diseased body that could infect people. Data entered popular use in the late 1700s, being a term used in philosophical discussions for things which can be assumed as facts. It may have been unorthodox or poetic to put the two things together in Victorian London, but not inaccurate as such.

Source from Bbc America:

10 Things You May Not Know About The Abominable Bride

• Like 1

Wow, nice find, VBS. So "virus" was in use as a word, with more or less today's meaning, before viruses were even discovered! Clever, these humans......

• Like 1

From that same web page... I never thought about how funny this was...

Victorian Sherlock sets himself the task of understanding “the Obliquity of the ecliptic.”. This is the term used by astronomers for the inclination of Earth’s equator ... It’s tempting to conclude that this is another deliberately jarring clue that all is not as it seems, given Sherlock’s previous well-documented feelings (in both the TV series and the original text) about astronomy:

So which is it, Sherlock? Is astronomy important, or not? :D

Okay, back to viruses!

Okay, the words are acurate, but would you say back then: a venom in my facts? a poison in my statements? :wacko:

I remember that my heart made a little hop when Mycroft said that, because it clearly belonged to other world.

And my brain made a flip-flop, because the story  started to be deliciously what's-wrong-with-the-picture-ominous. :naughty:

• Like 1

Okay, the words are acurate, but would you say back then: a venom in my facts? a poison in my statements? :wacko:

Well, actually, I think you could; if you were being poetic. Isn't "virus" itself a bit poetic (metaphorical) when used in terms of "computer virus"? That's not a real "bug" in there, it's just a poetic way of describing malicious code.

But I think of course "virus in the data" was meant to catch our attention, but not quite enough to tip us off ... yet.

• Like 2

So which is it, Sherlock? Is astronomy important, or not? :D

It's important only when he needs to quarrel with big brother, and of course, to find me in painting. :p
  • Like 3

Thank you all for chipping in. It really is interesting to consider if it's a hint or a just a joke about modern day vs Victorian day Sherlock.

Ok, so I rewatched TAB. In the end, at the airport, John (or someone else) says "So he is alive?" and Sherlock says "Of course not, he blew his brains out, no one survives that." This would confirm that Moriarty is now a computer virus or something else techy techy. 

However - 

this doesn't explain the spoiler pictures/snippets from teaser where Moriarty arrives to a beach in a helicopter. He is most definitely alive there. So... the twins theory again...?

Or a flashback? Or, ummm.... surely not a mind palace scene. Hm. Yeah, why were they so willing to let that be spoilered, anyway? It's like they wanted us to see it ...... twins is all I can come up with too, but why would they behave the same?

• Like 1

If they're literally twins, then they presumably would act a lot alike, wouldn't they? Or even siblings. If just a lookalike, could be training.

However don't many of the theories conjecture that it was Brook who shot himself on the roof, leaving the real Moriarty alive?

Do they? Not that much alike, I don't think; not the posturing and the funny faces. Unless tney're trying (but why?) :blink: