Olivia

"It's never twins!"

Soo... obviously there are twins. Ever since I saw TAB I've thought about it. Sherlock dismisses it so bad, it will come back and bite him in the end.

So who's the twin? I've read theories that it's Sherlock (and the third predicted brother) but also that it's Moriarty and that Richard Brook is his twin. Have you all read about it? Moriarty seems left handed (also Andrew Scott I believe) whereas Richard Brook is right handed. And there is some shaving issues involves. Cabdriver Moriarty is clean shaven, but Richard Brook has stubble just hours later. 

Maybe they're both twins? That'd be fun.

• Like 2

Hey, you're right -- that would answer the stubble question very neatly. Of course his name isn't / wasn't actually Richard Brook (it would be too much of a coincidence for his name to be a pun on Reichenbch). Maybe Richard Moriarty, though. Or (since the canon Moriarty brothers were both named James) maybe James Richard.

Some of that is new to me. Do you happen to know what supports the claim that Brook is right-handed?

Some men grow stubble VERY fast. (Do we know exactly how much time passed between the cab ride and Kitty's flat?) And Richard-The Actor-Brook would know how to apply a disguise just as well as Sherlock does. So I wouldn't put too much store in that.

That "It's never twins!" line is SO obvious, I can't decide if it's actual foreshadowing or just a Giant Scarlet Rollmop. We were warned! :D

• Like 2

I might have taken "Don't be silly, Watson" at more or less face value.  But "It's NEVER twins"?  How can he make such an absolute pronouncement?  He spoke quite sternly, too -- almost as though he was afraid that's exactly what it would turn out to be (in one time-frame or the other)?

• Like 1

Exactly. It seemed to me they called a lot of attention to that line. I think it's a joke, but on whom ... us, or Sherlock? :smile:

Right, a lot of attention -- far more emphasis than they placed on Watson's other (ghost) theory. Sure, it was funny, but I expect something to come of it.

Thanks, I just found a new song to download! ;)

Hey, you're right -- that would answer the stubble question very neatly. Of course his name isn't / wasn't actually Richard Brook (it would be too much of a coincidence for his name to be a pun on Reichenbch). Maybe Richard Moriarty, though. Or (since the canon Moriarty brothers were both named James) maybe James Richard.

One theory stated that his name indeed is Richard Brook and that is why he chose that painting, rather than the opposite. 

Some of that is new to me. Do you happen to know what supports the claim that Brook is right-handed?

When meeting Brook in Kitty's apartment, he puts out his right hand in front of himself in defense when he feels Sherlock is attacking him. Other than that, Moriarty is always left-handed. (Or actually, I haven't actually checked each scene, but the ones I've seen since reading this theory checks out.)

He opens the door to Kitty's flat with his left hand, though. I'm trying to think if I ever do that (I'm right-handed), or if I always use my right ....

One theory stated that his name indeed is Richard Brook and that is why he chose that painting, rather than the opposite.

OK, so they're saying he's the one who stole it?  Guess they never said on the show, so could be.  Still seems a bit of a coincidence, though, that there would just happen to be a famous painting with more-or-less his name on it.

When meeting Brook in Kitty's apartment, he puts out his right hand in front of himself in defense when he feels Sherlock is attacking him. Other than that, Moriarty is always left-handed. (Or actually, I haven't actually checked each scene, but the ones I've seen since reading this theory checks out.)

He opens the door to Kitty's flat with his left hand, though. I'm trying to think if I ever do that (I'm right-handed), or if I always use my right ....

I'm nominally right-handed, but I do use my left hand when it's more convenient.  If I'm pushing open a door that swings to my left, for example, or defending myself from something coming from my left.  I don't recall whether that might apply to either of those scenes or not.  But there's also the blocking to consider -- the director may simply decide that the scene looks better if the character uses a certain hand, and if that happens NOT to be important to future plots, the writer would presumably not object.

In that particular scene, Andrew Scott would have been turning his back towards the camera somewhat if he had put his left hand out instead of his right. And up until then, he had both hands up the whole time. The right hand only came up as he was retreating up the stairs -- it's really brief. I just don't think there's anything concrete there ... and if it were a clue we were meant to catch, it wouldn't be so hard to find, imo.

• Like 1

I agree, it's all very nebulous (haha, yes) and not at all certain. But it's not impossible. They do like leaving us little hints.

So I keep hearing. One of these days I'm going to spot one! :d (I'd make a really really bad detective.....)

OK, Sherlock, it's never twins.  But:

John (reading from his phone: "My husband is three people."  It's interesting. Saysy he has three distinct patterns of moles on his skin.

Sherlock: Identical triplets - one in half a million births. Solved it without leaving the flat.

• Like 1

Well, it wasn't twins! :d

• Like 2

Or maybe Moftiss is just as bad as ACD at remembering names of characters ....

• Like 1

Considering how Sherlock keeps saying it's never twins, I figure it's bound to be twins pretty soon.

• Like 1