How has Sherlock impacted your life?

Hi there, Betty Boop! :smile:

Let's see ... I think the major impact on my life is spending way too much time on this forum! :d It's really quite an odd thing, to spend so much time sharing thoughts with people you don't even know. But I quite love the international aspect of it. And it's always a good feeling to discover there are other people who share your affection for something; you realize you're not just weird. Or as Sherlock would say, it's very affirming. :)

It's opened me up to productions I probably wouldn't have seen otherwise, such as Frankenstein. Although that's to do more with a certain actor than with Sherlock the show.

I do sort of identify with Sherlock and his difficulty "fitting in." I don't think that's really had an impact on my life, though; it just helps me enjoy the show more.

That's about all I can think of; hope it helps. Good luck with your project!

• Like 3

I meet a lot of like-minded people in this forum, which I found when searching to see what kind of fandom the series had spawned. :) My life is much richer since then, less headache from constantly surrounded only by aliens. Right on the moment I desperately need discussion partners who can talk like mature and knowledgeable people. It doesn't hurt that the discussion topics and process are interesting. :)

• Like 5

Hi welcome, do participate outside as well. Don't you want to know how does it feel to enter the world of ahemm..reasonable and well behaved Sherlock fans?

To me, I've never found a character I can relate to as well as Sherlock although my life is nowhere as exciting as his, and my brain is nowhere near his.

And there are no other series that makes me feel the way I feel like Sherlock for prolonged time. There are some that come close, like the one I kind of falling for a real life genius but still to me, Sherlock presses many right buttons that I care enough to seek for a forum. I have only joined three other forums all my life. Two were for hobbies and only one was for TV show to get certain info and heartlessly abandoned after a few weeks, all dated long time ago.

Like Arcadia and Shadow, I am grateful for faceless people I meet here (well not exactly faceless, they look like their avatars, I know :p), I enjoy having weird discussions with like-minded people here. Strangely enough, I actually share more with members here than real life as I feel safer hiding behind my anonymity. Much more I guess, so I'm afraid I have to kill you all someday.

Ah.. of course, Sherlock makes me slightly more crazier. Just slightly. Of course.

• Like 5

I remember that a friend of mine introduced me to the series. I loved it so much that, since then, I sterted watching and rewatching the episodes, reading all Conan Doyle's books and now I'm a fan of all the films/tv series that talk about investigation and mysteries (such as "Law and order", "Rizzoli and Isles" and so on).

I started observing people a bit more carefully, trying to understand them, as Sherlock does. It may seem stupid, but the charachter of Sherlock helped me to open a bit more to the world, to start thinking and reasoning in a more precise way. For exemple, I find the tecnique of the mind palace so useful (difficult to useof course, but so useful).

Then, the frienship between Sherlock and John always reminds me that very different people could become close friends, could face difficulties together.

Finally, I'm writing in this forum, "talking" with people from all over the world, as Arcadia was saying. I think that's very beautiful :)

• Like 3

It's the first time I have ever been a real fan of anything, let alone interacted with other fans. And I am in my thirties... There's just nothing quite like it in my eyes. I love Sherlock.

• Like 1

It's the first time I have ever been a real fan of anything, let alone interacted with other fans. And I am in my thirties...

I'm probably your mother's age, and this is only my second fandom -- with the first being the original Star Trek. And nothing in all the decades between.

• Like 4

This is the only fandom I've been this involved in. To be more specific, it's the first one where I felt compelled to connect with other fans; and once I did, felt like I fit in.

• Like 1

I'm in my 40s.  Sherlock is my second fandom; my first was the original Star Trek, which I watched in reruns and the original movies.  

I think everyone above has talked about the feeling of "finding your tribe" and enjoying the interaction.  That's true for me.

Also, as someone who tests (but maybe doesn't always act?) intelligent, being exposed to Sherlock has given me permission to let my brains show a little more in my daily life. At least for someone my age and background, it has always been a bit of a balancing act to determine how "smart" you could act and still be permitted to enjoy and project feminine qualities; there has always been a de-feminizing effect of being "too" smart.  Ironically, even though Sherlock and Mycroft are men, their unflinching acceptance and use of their own intelligence has given me permission to use mine without caring quite so much about what others might think and about whether or not people think it's appropriate.  I don't really think the majority of the people I encounter on a daily basis are idiots, but there is something comforting about being marginalized for your intellect and thinking "I'm surrounded by goldfish."  It is a good coping mechanism when applied judiciously.

Beside that, Sherlock has gotten me to read the ACD canon.  I have never been terribly interested in reading mysteries before, and my school-age exposure to Doyle was always that the library would trot out Baskervilles every Halloween and put it on display, and the boys would talk about how scary it was.  But watching Sherlock has given me enough touchstones that I can now read and enjoy the canon, thinking about the Holmes & Watson relationship or imagining Holmes flouncing around being a drama queen when he wants to show off.  And I still squeal happily when I encounter a line or a scene that was used in or adapted for the show.

• Like 4

... Sherlock is my second fandom; my first was the original Star Trek....

... being exposed to Sherlock has given me permission to let my brains show a little more in my daily life. At least for someone my age and background, it has always been a bit of a balancing act to determine how "smart" you could act and still be permitted to enjoy and project feminine qualities....

Funny -- that's how I reacted to Spock! In my case, that was during the network run, back when it was trendy for a woman to be both a competent professional and, well, a woman. I kind of felt like Spock would understand how that felt, since he was also a product of two worlds, and not really at home in either.

• Like 2

Wow, so nice to see that "older" people are fans of Sherlock. :D I have thought that I'm pretty old for fandoms and I'm only 26. Maybe it's because people around me aren't actually fans of anything specific series. Or they don't just admit it!

Yup, I have to admit that Sherlock isn't my only fandom. In different periods in my life, I have been a fan for many things, for example Star Wars, X-Men and J-rock bands. Fandom gives life something from imaginative world and you can expand it with fanfiction and fanart also, which is a very nice extra. In modern life where everything is about career, starting your own family, money and stuff like that, fandom gives a place to rest and to be "not so serious". And the special bonus is in this Internet era that you are able to meet interesting people around the world who share the same interest. :) As some of you have mentioned earlier in this topic, this forum feels a warm and safe community and I don't have to fear that I sound stupid or anything else.

• Like 5

I don't have to fear that I sound stupid or anything else.

In fact, we take turns sounding stupid, so if you'd like us to add you to the rota, we can let you know when it's your day.   :D

• Like 3

Although you should be aware that I frequently forget which day is mine, and go out of turn.

Such as ... (and here's an "old person" question if there ever was one) ... what does the "J" in J-Rock mean? Japanese? Juvenile? Je ne sais quoi? :D

• Like 2

John Watson. John Harrison. Obviously.

Geez guys.

In fact, we take turns sounding stupid, so if you'd like us to add you to the rota, we can let you know when it's your day. :D

:blanket: there is a turn??

Eh, how many time exactly did I steal someone else's turn then?

I need a season pass.

P.S. you guys should really put all these things in the fine print in the sign up page. Tsk..tsk.

• Like 4

Such as ... (and here's an "old person" question if there ever was one) ... what does the "J" in J-Rock mean? Japanese? Juvenile? Je ne sais quoi? :D

Mwahahah, maybe I'll keep it as a secret. =D But we can decide it is John Watson rock, because it sounds so freaking cool.

And yes, I want to be a member of "saying stupid and awkward things club" !

• Like 1

@startspreading -- We seem to have gone a bit off course here. Maybe if you'd ask a few more specific questions, it'd help us focus.

Well, to answer the original question, I am about two months younger than BC. I was first introduced to him by a friend while watching Star Trek:Into Darkness and she happened to mention a modernised version of Sherlock Holmes. My inital reaction was to be appalled! How dare they? Then, an Internet friend with whom we share an interest in WWII U-boats pointed me to this forum. She has more or less given up, because the forum is separated into tribes: Sherlockians who have watched almost any adaptation, like me, and others who are devoted to this particular version. The main point is to have fun while playing around in this forum!

So, basically, it is not this version which has impacted my life, because I find it puerile, full of plotholes and plagiarisms from other shows, but the members of the forum itself with their wit, endlessly patient moderators, and even an unparalleled technical support!

• Like 3

Mwahahah, maybe I'll keep it as a secret. =D But we can decide it is John Watson rock, because it sounds so freaking cool.

And yes, I want to be a member of "saying stupid and awkward things club" !

You are hereby inducted. Congratulations, or something. :p

• Like 1

@Sitty, you should ask verentjoeng to do cupcake versions in plaster of your favourite charters! The lady is very talented and all her surplus goes to support schools and educational opportunities in Indonesia!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

My first introduction to anything Holmes happened when I was very little, with the Disney movie "The Great Mouse Detective". I liked it, but my brother wouldn't let me watch anything else, because he didn't like the other movies I liked. So he made me watch it all the time, every day... and after awhile it became like eating Ramen noodles for every meal. Even the thought of it made me so sick, that it tainted whatever interest I might have had and put me off of exploring anything else Holmes for a very long time.

Except for a very brief period in middle school, my next exposure didn't come until 2012, after the Guy Ritchie films had come out. Sometime prior I was visiting my brother, and he popped in the first one; but he talked the whole way through, so I had no idea what was going on. What I saw didn't seem particularly interesting to me. Another day, I was visiting someone else, and she popped the second movie in. But not only did she also talk the whole way through, she started it in the middle and cut it off before the end. So once again I had no idea what was going on.

Fast forward a bit, and one late night I was up and looking for a world to throw myself into. I had seen all my movies a bajillion times, so I took a look at my dad's collection, and remembered I had not seen the "Sherlock Holmes" movies all the way through (or really at all). Figured I may as well give it one more try (I was over my aversion to "The Great Mouse Detective", by the way). I made myself some tea and a fried egg, and watched them both.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I loved them. I watched them again many times. Then I realized that hey, Sherlock Holmes is a major literary figure, there must be tons of other Holmes stuff out there! So I did some searching, and that's when I came across "Sherlock" on Amazon. I wasn't too sure about it at first. I love period films, so the modernization threw me off a bit. But I was quickly impressed by the way they adapted it, and by the end of the first episode I was hooked, and by the pool scene in TGG, I was really really hooked. I was so bummed when I figured out that each season was only 3 episodes. As soon as I could I went out and bought the books, and I watched several other adaptions as well. "Sherlock" is my favorite, though the Guy Ritchie films remain close to my heart and take second place.

I struggle with severe depression, and isolation. I have a habit of ensconcing myself in a book, movie, or TV show when it's at its worst, to keep from drowning in my darkest thoughts. I search for something new, and when I find "that one", I will watch it over and over until I've managed to work myself out of the pit. As someone who has difficulty connecting with people and has lacked in relationships ever since I was a child, I've always used film theater as a way to experience connection. I find characters and situations I relate to and explore humanity, theirs and mine, through them. There have been days when a TV show was all that kept me going that day. "Sherlock" came around just when I needed it.

• Like 7

Wait until the hiatus has dragged out for several years. At least you won't be alone in your depression. :P (Okay, okay, I've suffered from it too, so I get to make jokes about it, right? Right? Uh-oh.....
R1Zhpv1.jpg?2

• Like 2

I feel for both of you, dear Arcadia and Artemis! I suffered from post-partum depression after the birth of my daughter, which is more common than one may think, and medication was problematic due to breast-feeding! Literally pulled myself out of it (not completely, I still have black moods my family has come to recognise) by the bootstraps, and when my attending physician wrote out a prescription, I did exactly what the joke above says: I threw the blasted pills out the window!

At about the same time, I started my involvement in uboat.net, and discovered how therapeutic a forum can be.

• Like 2