Hi All!

I am working on a project involving Sherlock Holmes and I need your help! I need a little information from fellow Sherlock fans so any answers would be IMMENSELY appreciated!

1. Which version of Sherlock is your favorite: Original, Robert Downey Jr., or Benedict Cumberbatch and WHY?

2. Why do you think Sherlock Holmes is still popular today?

3. What does the character mean to you?

Thank you to any and all who are so kind to participate!

Hi right back!

Okay, here goes:

1. BC. I can't really say why, he just fires my imagination more than the others you mention.

2. He's smart, funny, irreverent, clever, adventurous... what's not to like? :smile:

3. The character in general doesn't mean anything in particular to me. The Cumberbatch version, however ... he's a celebration of what is unique, special, smart and different.

Hope that helps, good luck with your project!

• Like 2

Hi, HOLM3S -- welcome to Sherlock Forum!

1. If by "original," you mean in the Conan Doyle stories, then my favorite of the three you mention is Benedict Cumberbatch (which is only to be expected here on a forum dedicated to the show he stars in). If you had included Jeremy Brett, however, I'd have been hard pressed to answer! As for why, because he seems the most real to me.

2. I think the character is still popular today for a number of reasons. He's adaptable -- just look at the variety of Sherlocks there have been, from the Great Mouse Detective to, well, Cumberbatch's version. He's also adaptable in the sense that he can waltz right into just about any situation you care to mention and start deducing. And some of it's bound to be sheer tradition -- the character's been around for well over a hundred years now, so he can be used in a story with no need to introduce him. What with the current trend toward setting him in the current day (Cumberbatch and Jonny Lee Miller), I see no reason to think he won't still be around in another hundred years.

3. What does the character mean to me? Well, I'm not sure that he actually means anything to me in the sense that, say, Leonard Nimoy's Spock does. I do find Cumberbatch's Holmes (and many others as well) very interesting. But as for relating to a character, I'm very fond of John Watson, as played by Martin Freeman and both of Brett's costars.

• Like 3

Hi HOLM3S.

I hope I don't mess up your survey. :p

1. It may not be accurate info, since I can't be fair with many other versions. But of course BBC's BC's one. :p Indifferent with RDJ's one, and not very sure which one is considered original, but I can say I don't like them more than Benedict Cumberbatch's.

2. He is a very interesting character. I used to think of him as two dimensional, but that's because I didn't know better.

I think he represents a lot of qualities that are relatable to many people, not in usual ways, which makes him special. It's a kind of justification that we may or may not need but it's nice to know there is somebody 'like that'.

3. Similar with 2. He is a justification I don't need, but nice to have. Wait, I lied. I actually need him. He confirms a lot of things for me. Nice people out there need to know that insults are sometimes ways to show affection. Affections are not always hugs, loves, kisses and sweet words. Idiots are real. People need to do research. Everything is transport. It's possible to predict fortune cookies. John's moustache ages him. :)

• Like 3

1. Which version of Sherlock is your favorite: Original, Robert Downey Jr., or Benedict Cumberbatch and WHY?

Hi, H0LM3S!

1.  Of the three you mentioned, I like BC's Sherlock the best.  In fact, I think I like his the best of any Sherlock regardless, but I believe that's because Moffat and Gatiss have worked so hard at making a Holmes that keeps the spirit of the original ACD Holmes but makes him very accessible to the modern eye.  In fact, I would almost argue that BC's Sherlock is designed for modern audiences to like better, and that's what make him successful.

2.  I think Sherlock Holmes will always be popular because he is an accessible superhero, if you like.  You know, I always liked Spiderman as a kid, but there was no way I was going to be bitten by a radioactive spider and be able to climb walls to solve crimes.  But, even though I discovered Holmes as an adult, I can enjoy the fact that I could, in fact, use my intelligence and wit to solve problems, so I could always "become" Holmes.

I also think people (including me) love the fact that all Holmeses are irreverent and maybe a little less than completely law-abiding, which makes him a bit of a maverick. And I like the Holmes-Watson relationship and love to see how deep a friendship really can be.

3.  As I said in another thread, Sherlock specifically has demonstrated to me that I can exhibit my intelligence publicly and not really care if that is something that makes others uncomfortable.  I don't want to make people uncomfortable, but I've spent far too long deciding which situations I can "sound smart" in and which I have to try to hide it.  Sherlock and Mycroft have given me the courage to say that I should present myself as I am, and other people's reactions are often their own problem.  (For the record, as an adult, most people aren't all that fussed about someone's intelligence, as it turns out.)

I agree with Carol that Sherlock will never have the meaning for me that someone like Spock does, but I think that's a function of me growing up with Spock.  If I had grown up with Sherlock and discovered Star Trek as an adult, things might have been different.

• Like 3

Sorry for the confusion, but yes by Original I mean Doyle's.

And thank you everyone for your input! It has been incredibly helpful! Still feel free to comment but I appreciate those who already have.

Thank you again!!!

• Like 3

Hi All!

I am working on a project involving Sherlock Holmes and I need your help! I need a little information from fellow Sherlock fans so any answers would be IMMENSELY appreciated!

1.) I can't really decide between the original book version and the Cumberbatch one. I think the modern Sherlock has more depth of character and is more believable, but the original is easier to look up to and inspires more trust. Also, he's what I grew up with. I refuse to watch any other adaptation (I didn't want to see Sherlock originally either but was lured into it with the promise of seeing Martin Freeman in a new role), so I can't really make any good comparisons though.

2.) Many reasons. People like detectives, and he's THE detective. He's an icon, and most crime fiction will be compared to his stories, whether we like that or not.

3.) To me personally? I love Sherlock Holmes. I first "met" him as a young teenager when I was given a copy of The Hound of the Baskervilles. I was a very fearful child with an overactive imagination, frightened by every shadow and noise. There were plenty of "hounds" in my life. And here was this character who shed light on the darkness, who fought superstition, who told people to look closer, to question the pictures their fear-riddled brains painted, to use their brains, who ultimately turned a demonic monster into just a poor ordinary dog with phosphorous smeared around its mouth. But Holmes never denied danger existed. He just advocated to look for it in the right places. He also did not dismiss fear, he advocated for bravery. And, quite unusual for a Victorian hero, he advocated for bravery and rational behavior and thought in women.

Even with the polished Doyle version, I realized that this man maybe wasn't very polite or very social, but that didn't bother me. I instantly liked him, and I felt as if I would be at ease around him.

He also demonstrated that is was totally okay to be different, to be solitary, to have few friends, odd habits and occasionally retreat inside your mind.

BBC's Sherlock is easily my favorite character in any movie or TV show. He's just... perfect. I wouldn't feel as safe and calm around him as around the original Holmes, but I find him intriguing and surprisingly easy to identify with. I love his bluntness. I know he is terribly rude, but he says a lot of things that I think I would love to but wouldn't dare.

And underneath the surface, both the original and this version really have a heart of gold. "A great heart behind a great brain" - who could resist such a hero?

• Like 5

Hi, and welcome!

1) The original first and foremost: just by being so popular, he advanced forensic science, and even now NSY runs a Holmes 2 software programme in tribute.

2) BC over RDj any time each time, although the films had their moments, as well, especially the different connection with Irene Adler.

3) ACD along with Erle Stanley Gardner taught me English, as a young girl. After them came Dickens, Austen and the Brontes.

But my all-time favourite is the Granada series, starring Jeremy Brett. I dislike something in this modernised mix-and-match series, I immediately delve into my Granada collection: it's a form of reassurance that however out of character the modern version is, there will always be the Adventures and The Return of Sherlock Holmes to soothe jangling nerves and an upset mind!

@TOBY: Are we talking about the same original? The one who is such a misogynist that he says women's decisions depend on a hairpin or a curling tongs? The one who thinks the original Mary Morstan stands above her gender for intelligence? The one who says that one cannot build an opinion on women's views because they are such a quicksand? I met two such other mysoginists: Cardinal Richelieu in my studies, and my mother in real life.

• Like 2

@TOBY: Are we talking about the same original? The one who is such a misogynist that he says women's decisions depend on a hairpin or a curling tongs? The one who thinks the original Mary Morstan stands above her gender for intelligence? The one who says that one cannot build an opinion on women's views because they are such a quicksand? I met two such other mysoginists: Cardinal Richelieu in my studies, and my mother in real life.

It's hardly fair to judge Holmes by current standards.  Even though he had his preconceptions, he was able and willing to recognize a number of obvious counter-examples.  He was by no means a twenty-first century man, but he was at least a mid-twentieth-century man in that regard, a good fifty years ahead of his time.

Of the handful of stories I've read, I was struck by how often he complimented various women on their intelligence and/or derring-do. Surprised, because there's the more famous quotes about women being untrustworthy (or whatever it is he says.) Which I take to mean he doesn't trust himself around women, and like many a man before and since, blames the women for it. :d

• Like 2

It's a draw between BBC's and Elementary's Sherlock. I think the American version has much more depth to his character but I do prefer BBC's analysis and how it is presented

I think it is humanity's obsession with geniuses and also the mystery of everyday life. It is the wonder you get when you realise that someone can just take a look at you and see your whole life (or at least day). Someone who has many talents, is so detached from humanity but still grace us with his presence and help. Maybe Sherlock Holmes has the same archetype as the Greek Gods

Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot were the characters from the first "serious books" I read as a child. I wasn't in the fantastic world of Harry Potter filled with magic wands and great destinies. I was following along the footprints of great detectives, seeing tragedy and trying to find out why. It's one of the main reasons I'm a psychology major in college. Great stuff

• Like 1

For my favorite, Sherlock, see my avatar..! :wub:

Dear Pawse and Carol, I just stumbled on an old telethon called The Four Oaks Mystery, starting with Jeremy Brett as the best Sherlock ever going to visit his formidable godmother, and is she a handful, by all that's holy! Thoroughly enjoyable even when the moderns get involved, like Taggart, Van der Valk and Wexford. A rare little gem indeed!

• Like 2

Cool! If that's available online, where is it and what's it called?

• Like 1

Hi, dear amphibian princess! It was a 1992 BT telethon available on YouTube, called The Four Oaks Mystery! Enjoy! :rose:

Addendum: I watched the BBC production Dr Bell and Mr Doyle: not only did women dress up as men, like Molly, to be able to do dissections at Edinburgh University as medical students, but the watch/ mobile phone deduction was a direct challenge from young Arthur to his mentor, Dr Bell, and since it figures so prominently in The Sign of the Four and in SIP, it was chillingly sobering. If Moftiss copycat anything and everything from all Sherlock Holmes adaptations, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and James Bond, then ACD copycatted his professor! Oh, my ears and whiskers!

• Like 1

Favorite Holmes: Tom Baker (Hound of the Baskervilles).