The Political Thread

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:
And would Scotland join the EU, you think? Ireland's already a member, right? Something tells me this will not end well.....

I'm sure that will happen, after all the entirety of Scotland voted to Remain back in 2016. Also me and everyone else with half a brain cell knows that leaving the EU would be like shooting themselves in the foot, only with Scotland wanting independence and northern Ireland considering a reunification with Ireland it's becoming a financial and economic suicide for England.

1 hour ago, Sheerluck said:
The Brexit headache is only beginning. Sigh.

Beginning? It's been going on for 4 years! It's like a headache that refuses to subdue no matter how much painkillers you take.

• Like 2

Me, too.

In other news:  one of my pro-Brexit pals has just made a snipey post on Facebook, which I assume is directed at me.

Oh well...

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...

I have to say I thought blaming game, issuing and taking back statement, giving out half-bake information only happens often in primary school, but everything is possible with You-Know-Who.

Now if you guys don't mind, what do you think about stopping WHO funding at this exact time? And considering re-opening when everything is still on red?

Not sarcasm, I have in mind that people, especially citizens could have some consideration that we outsiders might not able to see, for example, maybe, just maybe, the citizen would prefer this cut funding is allocated to help internally? (or bigger and more beautiful walls?) and perhaps some might see opening would help them specifically? I'm not sure.

What I really want to say about any of Trump's actions would probably get me banned from this forum. ;) 

So I'll leave it at ... I think defunding the WHO was an unwise decision. Insert adjective of your choice.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

... what do you think about [....] considering re-opening when everything is still on red?

The federal government has been offering information and advice, and that's what these new guidelines are.  The actual decisions will be made by each state, depending how how things are going locally.

The governors of Indiana and neighboring states issued a statement just yesterday that they will be coordinating their efforts -- though not necessarily acting in unison, because of the need to take local conditions into account.

I have to say I thought blaming game, issuing and taking back statement, giving out half-bake information only happens often in primary school, but everything is possible with You-Know-Who. Now if you guys don't mind, what do you think about stopping WHO funding at this exact time? And considering re-opening when everything is still on red? Not sarcasm, I have in mind that people, especially citizens could have some consideration that we outsiders might not able to see, for example, maybe, just maybe, the citizen would prefer this cut funding is allocated to help internally? (or bigger and more beautiful walls?) and perhaps some might see opening would help them specifically? I'm not sure.
I consider both terrible and dangerous ideas. WHO needs the funds to develop a vaccine, cutting funds will only slow down the process. As reopening everything now will only increase the death count, it's sad when the economy is valued above human lives.

3 hours ago, Fantasy Lover said:

.. reopening everything now will only increase the death count....

I don't believe anybody is talking about reopening everything just yet, merely starting to phase certain things back in.  As long as sensible precautions are observed, that's probably safe enough, plus it'll help people who really need their paychecks.

Well I hope that's what they will do...

re-open everything gradually or we'll just have another surge.

Yes, I can't imagine making a decision that could hold you accountable for significant life loss, it shouldn't be taken lightly, or demonstrated to speed it up. :huh:

One of the many things that alarms me is misinformation. People taking 'information' from questionable places, like social media, and spreading it without bother to fact check is one of the many pet peeves in modern day. But that is minor compared to people/media who are influential but getting and spreading wrong information, while by right they shouldn't, at all! It should be the other way! That is not pet peeve, that is dangerous mate with stupidity and produce litters of monstrosity. 

I saw a clip that left me fuming, would anyone expect (yes but it shouldn't) that a news channel and white house advisor thinks and says it out loud implying that we have Covid 1-18 therefore WHO is inept???? HOMEWORK! Research! Understand what you are about to say to millions of people. You are not random stranger interviewed on the street!! It takes seconds or minutes!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

HOMEWORK! Research! Understand what you are about to say to millions of people. You are not random stranger interviewed on the street!! It takes seconds or minutes!!

Plus they get paid to do it.

I read an interesting editorial awhile back ... as usual, I don't remember the specifics, but the point was, more than one force has been at work for some time now to deliberately discredit the news media, because the media holds these forces accountable for things they don't want to be held accountable for. And it's working. Which scares the bejeezus out of me.

• Sad 1

Well I hope that's what they will do...
re-open everything gradually or we'll just have another surge.
speaking about reopening things, Florida is once again taking a bad example by reopening their beaches. I predict a lot of them will end up in a hospital and I can't say I feel sorry for any of them.

15 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

a news channel and white house advisor thinks and says it out loud implying that we have Covid 1-18 therefore WHO is inept????

I agree, people should be more careful what they say and how they phrase it.  From what I've read, the white house is actually saying that they are investigating charges that WHO may have mismanaged the initial stages of dealing with the virus (thus allowing it to gain more of a foothold before being dealt with).  If proven true, that would be a serious concern.  But so far it's just a question.

As I recall, it's not their current activity that's being questioned, more like what they did (or failed to do) at the beginning.  In any case, so far it's only a question.

On 4/22/2020 at 6:17 PM, Caya said:

(source: https://twitter.com/user/status/1252818020776333312 , has lots of great replies as well)

This is in response to the CDC's guidelines for "reopening" the US, and more specifically in response to Mr. Trump's comments about reopening the national parks?

They're not talking about business as usual.  They're saying, now that we're all familiar with safety measures such as social distancing and face masks, let's see how we can apply that to easing the restrictions on businesses, and then we'll see how that goes before taking any additional steps.  Sounds like some things being considered are allowing limited in-restaurant dining with fewer tables further apart and staff wearing face masks, restarting factories with similar restrictions, etc.

I'm afraid that business as usual is exactly how people will act. Some will be disobedient by their political views, others will ignore them because they don't believe it's a threat. And from those who won't - a part is too stupid/nor informed enough to do it properly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.P. said:

Some will be disobedient by their political views, others will ignore them because they don't believe it's a threat. And from those who won't - a part is too stupid/nor informed enough to do it properly.

That's clearly true now, but I've been pleasantly surprised to see that the great majority are behaving themselves very nicely.  I assume the same will be true during whatever gradual steps are taken toward normalcy.

On 4/22/2020 at 6:17 PM, Caya said:

(source: https://twitter.com/user/status/1252818020776333312 , has lots of great replies as well)

The comments are hysterical. Sometimes people are pretty clever. :D 

5 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Nobody's talking about business as usual.

Some people are. 

10 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Nobody's talking about business as usual.

5 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Some people are.

Sorry, I meant the government officials and their guidelines, not people in general (and have edited my initial remark accordingly).  I agree with you regarding some people, but short of martial law there's not much to be done about them, and fortunately they seem to be in the minority.

On 4/23/2020 at 6:17 AM, Caya said:

Hey this is exactly good repesentation about my frustration. I think from now on I'd be less critical of human stupidity in movie. But come to think of it, I think I'm only critical when it's technical or breach of supposed skill-related knowledge, I did and do always believe in the majestic level of human stupidity.

15 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

They're not talking about business as usual.  

I see you have edited it, because judging by the response (demonstration) it seems that there is always a lower level to go in the IQ level.

This could be Darwin's Law in finest form, if only not it doesn't harm everyone else as well.

Anddddd...... maybe America will be successful in flatenning the Covid-19's death curve. Nevermind the death curve of fatal injection, cancer and alcohol poisoning (I believe he hasn't mentioned injection of isopropyl alcohol. Remember guys, 70% minimum, vodka is not enough! It's for wimps!)

Seriously, someone shut him up before he speaks. Misinformation from someone his rank should be considered as manslaughter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52407177

• Like 1
  • Sad 1