Carol the Dabbler

The Political Thread

Well, I was wondering about the silence recently, until I was told the British parliament was on vacation.
Titanic is about to hit the iceberg, but the captain takes a nap first. And ask for more time after he wakes up. ūüėē

I think I will express the feeling of many people here that we are really beeped off by this situation.

I often think that even a no-deal would be better, as it would finally create some tangible state/situation to start from. Now the UK is like Schrödinger's cat. A big and annoying version of it. I'm sure for the UK citizens it must be much worse. To sit in a black box for three years not knowing if you are dead or alive.

• Like 1

Just about sums it up.

Personally I would prefer to remian in the EU...

But I see little chance of it.

My son lives and works in Italy(married to an Italian national and father to an Italian child)and is concerned.

His citizenship won't be through for nearly a year.

He takes a group of school kids to Austria in April.

He's worried that either the Austrians won't let him in or the Italians won't let him back in!

So he's applied for the Italian version of a Green card.

5 minutes ago, besleybean said:

My son lives and works in Italy(married to an Italian national and father to an Italian child)

How's that going, Bev (other than the citizenship issues)?  I remember how sad you were when they moved away.

11 minutes ago, J.P. said:

... even a no-deal would be better, as it would finÔĽŅally create some tangible state/situation to start from. Now the UK is like Schr√∂dinger's cat.

Good analogy.  I suspect most British people, no matter what outcome they favor, would be relieved by any sort of resolution, just so they can get on with their lives.

'Relieved' isn't the right word for me...

I go more with " it is what it is."

Oh Tom has been over there for years now and it never got any easier for me.

In fact it's even harder since the birth of my grandson.

Losing my husband didn't help either, of course...

But anyway, the family are very happy over there and so I am pleased for them.

• Thanks 1

On relevant note, I don't understand UK politics and what is going on right now. It's not a sarcasm, I really don't understand it.
I'm sure that the British themselves don't even understand what's going on.

Well, I was wondering about the silence recently, until I was told the British parliament was on vacation. Titanic is about to hit the iceberg, but the captain takes a nap first. And ask for more time after he wakes up. I think I will express the feeling of many people here that we are really beeped off by this situation. I often think that even a no-deal would be better, as it would finally create some tangible state/situation to start from. Now the UK is like Schrödinger's cat. A big and annoying version of it. I'm sure for the UK citizens it must be much worse. To sit in a black box for three years not knowing if you are dead or alive.
except that if a no deal passes, it would mean shortages of medicine and loads of boats trying to enter the UK but unable to because they don't have the freedom of movement anymore.
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Fantasy Lover said:

if a no deal passes, it would mean shortages of medicine and loads of boats trying to enter the UK but unable to because they don't have the freedom of movement anymore.

I would certainly hope that some sort of interim measures could be worked out, just to ease the transition.

I know about the consequences. I knew most of them even before the referendum. And knowing a bunch of people from the UK doesn't allow me to feel the good old German schadenfreude about it.
But from afar I have the impression UK politicians don't even take the whole thing seriously. As if they believed the EU will give in if they fuss around long enough. And they seem to be willing to drag this situation forever when the EU allows them to. Because they never had a plan.

I could largely agree.

But let's be clear: this is Remainers and chiefly Tories...not ALL UK politicians.

Here in Scotland, our votes don't count!

On 9/4/2019 at 10:00 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

Hold on.. all this time, what am I doing here, waiting and biting edge of tables between seasons???? Good God! What a m*r*n I must be?!

Excuse me, I'm going to watch season 5 NOW, I'm sure it exists.

LaterZ!

So, how was it? And can you make cheap knock-off videos of it for the rest of us?

On 9/4/2019 at 10:46 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

On relevant note, I don't understand UK politic and what is going on right now.

It's not a sarcasm, I really don't understand it.

Me either. I just spent 20 minutes reading about it and I'm more confused than when I started.

Does anybody know if there will be a shut down of the parliament? Is it unavoidable? (buying popcorn for the three more months, just in case)

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, J.P. said:

Does anybody know if there will be a shut down oÔĽŅf the parliament?

From what I've read, they're not talking about a mere recess (like the recent "shutdown" of the US Congress), they're talking about basically cancelling the current makeup of Parliament, pending a new general election.  And of course there will be another election sooner or later, so the only question is when.

A friend just passed me this link:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/there-will-still-be-an-election-in-the-uk-and-brexit-will-still-happen

It's clear which outcome the author is rooting for (as is virtually always the case with political writing), but I actually understood that article.

• Like 1