Carol the Dabbler

The Political Thread

On 2/13/2021 at 4:37 AM, T.o.b.y said:

It seems to me that it's this which makes the pandemic so hard to deal with. Well, part of it, anyway. 

I don't know about any of you but I was very much raised in a culture of "live and let live". Each to their own, including risk assessment and management. You want to drink? Fine, as long as you're aware of addiction and liver failure, go ahead. You want to smoke? Sure, we'll print pictures of lung cancer on the packages and if that doesn't stop you, your problem. You refuse to get vaccinated? OK, whatever, you're an adult, it's your choice. Etc etc etc. I mean, I live in a country where we can't have speed limits on all highways because the free people of car land have the right to risk their own necks. 

But now, say you have a nursing home and one resident says he'd rather have his family visit him even if he could potentially die in the case that one of his relatives passes on The Virus. But another resident says I am not ok with that risk and I live here too and if you get sick you can infect me. And we need to decide, whose right is more important? Person A's right to see their family or person B's right to protect their health? 

And we aren't used to that. We also aren't used to making individual choices based on community benefits (or losses). Not my generation where I live anyway. We were all going to follow our dreams and go our own way, tolerating and not bothering each other. It wasn't discussed what happens when all our wants and dreams are incompatible. 

This is where I find that 'right' could be the double-edged sword.

I support right as long as it doesn't harm others, as George Constanza waving his hands in the air frantically "Because we live in society!!!

That is why I support rules, reasonable rules, because, sadly, most humans seems to be incapable of not endangering themselves and others. I used to have higher opinion.. before Trump and pandemic. 

On 2/16/2021 at 2:59 AM, besleybean said:

Yes, I keep imaging something akin to the bra burnings, of the old womens' libbers!

🙃

Holy guacamole!!! That would be a fun day to hang around! 😋

7 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

That is why I support rules, reasonable rules, because, sadly, most humans seems to be incapable of not endangering themselves and others. I used to have higher opinion.. before Trump and pandemic. 

👍