Sign in to follow this  
Carol the Dabbler

What would you like to see invented?

I assume everyone sometimes thinks "Gee, wouldn't it be neat if there was a gadget that would...?"  If you wish you could invent something (or get someone to invent it for you), what would it be?

I've seen some of my wishes come true, while others are presumably either impossible or impractical.  Here's what gave me the idea for this thread:  When Alex and I are on a long car trip (not the kind where we're sightseeing along the way, but rather the type where the main point is to get there), I've imagined having a magic button on the car's dashboard that would take us instantaneously from the town we're actually passing through, to any other town with the same name.  Say we started out in Columbus, Indiana -- we could immediately press the button and be in Columbus, Ohio, halfway to our destination.

• Like 2

Cool thread.

I actually have a lot of nonsense invention ideas.

Have to ask about yours first, how if along the way there is no place with similar name? So it's not usable? Or could it be any Columbus? For example, there is no other Columbus town along the route, but, there is a Columbus restaurant! It increases the options, yes? 

And wouldn't it be better if the device could actually teleport you to the destination?

Maybe, there are multiple ports in different states. And if you have access to something equivalent to their IP addresses, you can teleport there. You can choose the one nearer to your destination, or maybe in nearer future, there are ports everywhere.

For me, the one I really want to see it invented, one that I blabbered before is the specific extractor, some kind of contraption to get rid of something identical.

I got this idea when I was combing my dog for ticks around last year. He got them from his siblings, from my friend's home. They foster him when I go overseas.

It's unusual for them to have it, but there could be an outbreak, anyway, it's difficult to control once it enters the environment.

Initially I refused to use any apply-on medicine, worried that it would harm him, I settled with shampoo and manual labor of picking the ticks.

It's quite a backbreaking work and it's hard to be sure that you have gotten them all.

So, what if there is a contraption with ability to extract something that match with the sample.

So there is a built-in canister or something, and you put a tick there. The machine then calculates the whatever thing that build the tick, characteristic etc, create an identification with 0% accuracy tolerance (if object doesn't match 100%, they are not considered target, well to avoid that it actually try to extract my dog's nipple or something :P) and then bzzzz... it will extract every single bloody ticks from my dogs or around.

There will be three different grade extractor machines. 

One, is the one mentioned, to extract organic nitty gritty, external parasites, aphid from plant maybe, termites or whatever parasitic bugs without damaging the host or environment, or bad chemical or side effects.

Two, is more hardcore extractor, for stuffs, inorganic stuff. Therefore it's bigger built and sturdier.

Want to find needle in the haystack? No problem! What about finding the missing half (pair?) of socks? Or have you guys ever dropped a container of rice or bean to the floor? Gah!

Three, is the most delicate machine that extract organic stuffs inside human or animal body. Like cancer cells, kidney stone, freckles maybe.

The collection method, it can assign a certain place in the body as the isolated and collection area, and then extracted through physical surgery. Maybe. One of the ways.

It requires delicate process and only operated with licence by fully trained people who also have to pass multiple psychopath tests to prove they are not one. 

Falling at the wrong hand..euh... horrible. How if it falls to someone who likes to collect spleen, for example. XD

Alright alright, for this one, the size should be limited to cell equivalent size.

• Like 3

... how if along the way there is no place with similar name? So it's not usable? Or could it be any Columbus? For example, there is no other Columbus town along the route, but, there is a Columbus restaurant! It increases the options, yes? 

And wouldn't it be better if the device could actually teleport you to the destination?

Maybe, there are multiple ports in different states. And if you have access to something equivalent to their IP addresses, you can teleport there. You can choose the one nearer to your destination, or maybe in nearer future, there are ports everywhere.

Now you've gone and invented the standard teleporter.  That would be fine, but it requires an infrastructure.  At first, it could be like trying to use a cell phone back when most areas didn't have the towers.

My version is cheap enough to be affordable by anyone who can afford a car (and both could be second-hand).  It doesn't require an infrastructure, because it works by magic!  If there is no Columbus at the desired other end, then one would simply start in a different nearby town.  For any trip of sufficient length, there is bound to be a pair of matching towns near enough to both ends of the route to save a great deal of driving.

Your restaurant (or whatever) adaptation would be good if the device could be miniaturized so that a person could carry it.  (Doubt that the restaurant owners would care to have my entire car materialize inside their establishment.)

... the one I really want to see it invented [...] is the specific extractor, some kind of contraption to get rid of something identical.

I got this idea when I was combing my dog for ticks around last year. [....] Initially I refused to use any apply-on medicine, worried that it would harm him, I settled with shampoo and manual labor of picking the ticks.

It's quite a backbreaking work and it's hard to be sure that you have gotten them all.

So, what if there is a contraption with ability to extract something that match with the sample.

So there is a built-in canister or something, and you put a tick there. The machine then calculates the whatever thing that build the tick, characteristic etc, create an identification with 0% accuracy tolerance (if object doesn't match 100%, they are not considered target, well to avoid that it actually try to extract my dog's nipple or something :P) and then bzzzz... it will extract every single bloody ticks from my dogs or around.

I have actually seen a device that's somewhat similar to that.  (Don't think it would work for fleas, though. :( )

You've presumably seen a metal detector in use.  They will find anything made of any metal, so they are of limited use in some cases.  However, there's a fancy version that will detect only a specified metal.  As with your imagined device, you put a sample of the desired metal into a compartment on the detector.  It will then find any nearby metal of that specific type.

Alex and I encountered it when I lost my platinum wedding ring somewhere in our meadow.  We rented a regular metal detector, and Alex was able to find the ring relatively quickly.  When we returned the detector, the store owner showed us his fancy one, and demonstrated how it would find my ring (at this point, on my finger!).  It was uncanny!

So it's obviously only a matter of time till your invention is actually invented!

I don't like using flea "medicine" either, and mostly use a special fine-toothed comb on our cats.  The only time that wasn't adequate was when our house was being built.  A pair of kittens showed up at the construction site, so we took them home to our apartment and I combed them as often as I could.  But the secret to success with a flea comb is perseverance, and I simply didn't have the time right then to comb them often enough, and by the time we were almost ready to move, we had a real outbreak in the apartment.  So just that once, I bought the safest flea medicine from our veterinarian, just enough for one treatment for each of our cats, and applied that shortly before we moved.  This essentially "sterilized" all of the adult fleas, and by the time any previously-laid eggs hatched, we had moved out.  I figured the landlord would rip out all the carpets anyhow (they'd been old and stained and ripped when we moved in ten years previously), so I didn't even feel guilty.

• Like 1

I wish someone would invent a way to roll into balls these 3,000 !@#%^&* rum balls I have to make every year ....

Have you tried a cookie scoop?  I've never made rum balls, but if I'm imagining the process correctly, seems like that should help, at least a little.

3000 rum balls??? :blanket: :blanket: :blanket:

Who are you feeding?

Twelve Victorian Mycrofts?

• Like 2

Have you tried a cookie scoop?  I've never made rum balls, but if I'm imagining the process correctly, seems like that should help, at least a little.

Yes, but the problem is, you have to compress them quite a bit by rolling them in your hands, then you have to roll them in sugar, so ...

3000 rum balls??? :blanket: :blanket: :blanket:

Who are you feeding?

Twelve Victorian Mycrofts?

I wish, they wouldn't eat as many as my family, friends, co-workers and students do!

But the town teleport magic might not work outside US though. Most of the places I've been have unique names, however it could work for street names. :)

My dog is using medication now, it has been for a while. But I make sure that I read all the review and get recommendation from vet. It works like charm. Eventhough I actually managed to clean the ticks manually, the little ones started to emerge and it's impossible to get them all because they are very small. Also, the circle include the environment, so eventhough you clean the dog, the tick just hatch somewhere and then go back. And the environment includes neighbours that I can't control. They can also go for months without food and survive. With this medication, applied monthly to skin between shoulder blade (so dog can't lick them) it works very well and there are no side effects so far.

I actually haven't seen how metal detector works except from game, that comes in handy and I'm surprised there are rental for it and that he managed to find the ring.

Yes, I really want the extractor to be invented, they could be very useful.

Another invention I wish to have is animal translator. But I realize dogs are fairly easy to understand, so scrap that.

I want 'personal bubble' instead so it's safe to walk in public. Safe from any attacks, discomfort or affections. :p

No one could lean on you in subway, no negative intention can reach or hurt you, huggers would be bounced back, and it can protect you from smell, rain or dust. And if you feel like it, you can run rapidly to a group of crowd, send them flying and score a strike!

I wish someone would invent a way to roll into balls these 3,000 !@#%^&* rum balls I have to make every year ....

OK, let's get back to your original premise. Why do you "have to" make rum balls (let alone 3,000 of them)?

But the town teleport magic might not work outside US though. Most of the places I've been have unique names, however it could work for street names.

I think it would work fairly well within or between any European countries, or countries where towns have European-type names. For example, there's an Edinburgh, Indiana (never mind that the "burgh" is pronounced as in "Pittsburgh") -- so I could get to Scotland just fine. And there's a Versailles, Indiana (again, please ignore the pronunciation). And there is a Boston, England (which I believe came first, but never got as big as its namesake in Massachusetts). Beyond that sphere, though, street names might come in handy. Except in Japan, of course, where the streets don't generally have names.

My dog is using medication now, it has been for a while. But I make sure that I read all the review and get recommendation from vet. It works like charm. Eventhough I actually managed to clean the ticks manually, the little ones started to emerge and it's impossible to get them all because they are very small. Also, the circle include the environment, so eventhough you clean the dog, the tick just hatch somewhere and then go back. And the environment includes neighbours that I can't control. They can also go for months without food and survive. With this medication, applied monthly to skin between shoulder blade (so dog can't lick them) it works very well and there are no side effects so far.

That's the type of flea medicine I used on our cats that one time. Even our holistic vet said it was reasonably safe. We keep our cats indoors, so they don't tend to import a lot of fleas. I think there is a small population left over from the apartment infestation, but the cats' own self-grooming keeps that under control.

I actually haven't seen how metal detector works except from game, that comes in handy and I'm surprised there are rental for it and that he managed to find the ring.

The rental is mostly for hobbyists, I assume -- people who like to walk through public parks, beaches, etc., looking for stuff people have dropped, or around historical areas and old farmsteads looking for artifacts. But yeah, Alex was able to find the ring pretty quickly (as well as a few roofing nails, etc.).

• Like 1

A device that irons and folds clothes.

• Like 1

I wish someone would invent a way to roll into balls these 3,000 !@#%^&* rum balls I have to make every year ....

OK, let's get back to your original premise. Why do you "have to" make rum balls (let alone 3,000 of them)?

Two dozen for the neighbors, one for me. Two dozen for the other neighbors, one for me. Two dozen for the cookie exchange, one for me. Two dozen for my best friend, one for me. Two dozen for my other best friend, one for me. Four dozen for the sister and her family, one for me. Four dozen for the brother and his family, several dozen for various parties, another several dozen for the last day of various classes, a bunch for me ... etc. etc. etc.

• Like 1

Exactly how did you acquire this pernicious habit?

Because in the years I don't make them, everyone wants to know why. :smile: I got the message after awhile; if I want to maintain good relations with other humans, make them rum balls. It's simpler than developing actual social skills. :P

• Like 1

Two dozen for the neighbors, one for me. Two dozen for the other neighbors, one for me. Two dozen for the cookie exchange, one for me. Two dozen for my best friend, one for me. Two dozen for my other best friend, one for me. Four dozen for the sister and her family, one for me. Four dozen for the brother and his family, several dozen for various parties, another several dozen for the last day of various classes, a bunch for me ... etc. etc. etc.

I am appalled that you only give yourself a dozen for every two dozen you make.

You should only give 20% away! :p

In near future, I am very sure there will be robots for chores. I am not against that, at all, because only dedicated machinery can achieve my desire amount of cleanliness every single day.

Whether they are going to rebel and enslave human instead is another thing. :p

I am appalled that you only give yourself a dozen for every two dozen you make.

You should only give 20% away! :P

Well, I agree, but I don't want people beating down my doors to get at them either.

In near future, I am very sure there will be robots for chores. I am not against that, at all, because only dedicated machinery can achieve my desire amount of cleanliness every single day.

Whether they are going to rebel and enslave human instead is another thing. :P

I am seriously thinking of buying one of those robot vacuum cleaners. Then training a cat to ride around on it. :smile:

Foldable into pocket-sized portable 'stargate' that runs with human skin's warmth. Enter coordinate then step to the other size.

• Like 1

Oh, Yes! Except we have to make it impossible for them to end up in a bank.

• Like 1

Personalised news feed.

I'm sick and tired reading about celebrity's and Trump, and I wish I could blacklist both but alas.

Where is the news being fed from? Because I'm able to personalize mine, at least a little. Enough. But I'm on a laptop, I have lots of options.

Surely somebody already has that sort of thing available -- but you'd presumably have to pay for it.

I know it exists, but I always wonder why they never really market it.

I want motocycle-car.

I love motorcycle because it's practical, cheaper and easier to get around traffic, and I enjoy riding it; the wind, the feel and all.

However, sometimes weather could be a challenge and sometimes I have delicate pillion like mom, and sometimes I really want to adopt another dog but transportation is a problem beside other things. And it's also a challenge for me if I need to carry big stuffs.

So if they market it properly, motorcycle but with enclosed space, like two seaters car but one in front and one in the back that is lean enough to get through traffic, I am all for it! (Although I'd still keep regular ones for joy ride)

• Like 1

Where is the news being fed from? Because I'm able to personalize mine, at least a little. Enough. But I'm on a laptop, I have lots of options.

Newspaper and tv, so I can't really change it.

Anyway, I'd like to have rear mirrors on my bicycle.

I'd like to have rear mirrors on my bicycle.

Surely those are available?  I think I've at least seen little mirrors that clip onto your helmet.

You can buy motorcycle's ones and find a way to attach it to your bike, but it could be easily stolen I guess. :p

• Like 1

If the mirror is that easy to remove, you could do like some folks do (or at least used to do?) with their car stereos, and take the mirror with you whenever you leave the bike.