What would you like to see invented?

:D That sounds so inconvenient..! :p

Imagine if you go jogging or swimming and need to carry those around.

But on the other hand, if you find a way to stick it above the shoulders, it would be easy to see any incoming moose or shark. XD

• Like 2

You could maybe have a rear-view mirror surgically attached to your head. Then nobody could steal it, and it'd be immediately available whenever you need it.

• Like 2

Good lord! :rofl:

I must say, sometimes this forum just makes my day. :smile:

• Like 2

You could maybe have a rear-view mirror surgically attached to your head. Then nobody could steal it, and it'd be immediately available whenever you need it.

But how would I navigate if I need to go to small places, like cave, Japan's capsule hotel, or lying on my side when I have too much to drink but need to protect international reputation I may or may not have etc?

And how should I prevent a moose thinking that I am his mate?

• Like 2

But how would I navigate if I need to go to small places, like cave, Japan's capsule hotel, or lying on my side when I have too much to drink but need to protect international reputation I may or may not have etc?

And how should I prevent a moose thinking that I am his mate?

Oh, picky picky picky.... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

:D Nothing really.

But me wearing bike mirror on my head could be irresistible to them, too attractive reflective! :p

• Like 1

What about extra battery? Or the actual charger?

My last phone drained battery so much I actually brought charger everywhere (on top of power bank, because the battery ran out so fast I would find a power plug every chance I have especially when I was stuck somewehe), and I also brought extension cord for travelling in case I need it (some older hotels or airport have very few power plugs and there are mostly a bit far), but the one I have are quite lean and easily fit into small bag.

What I would like to see invented is smart house system. This is really far fetch :p, so the house is equipped with system with a built-in default that it is able to identify should anything goes wrong/changes with the default. For example, it tells you when there are leakings, holes, pest infestation to the actual spots of the problem so they can be fixed easily. It drives me nuts everytime I have to find out what is wrong with the house, where is the leaking point, where do pests come from, how to know if something is broken/need to be replaced/worn out that can't be easily seen.

I suspect some of that has actually been invented ... I've seen something about "smart" houses with sensors in the walls and pipes, for example. But of course, it's cutting edge, VERY expensive, and may not even work all that well.

What I'd like to see is a way to power all of this electrically run gadgetry that doesn't pollute the planet. :(

• Like 1

Your wish should come true, hopefully soon.

New materials could turn water into the fuel of the future

and

New Research Could Turn Water Into the Fuel of Tomorrow

• Like 2

What about extra battery? Or the actual charger?

What I would like to see invented is smart house system. This is really far fetch :p, so the house is equipped with system with a built-in default that it is able to identify should anything goes wrong/changes with the default. For example, it tells you when there are leakings, holes, pest infestation to the actual spots of the problem so they can be fixed easily. It drives me nuts everytime I have to find out what is wrong with the house, where is the leaking point, where do pests come from, how to know if something is broken/need to be replaced/worn out that can't be easily seen.

You have to be lucky if you can sit in a place close to the plug on a train.

I'd like to add a way to measure chalk in water, we had trouble getting warm water because our boiler consisted of mostly chalk!

I'd like to add a way to measure chalk in water, we had trouble getting warm water because our boiler consisted of mostly chalk!

An ordinary pH test should work.  The cheapest method is litmus paper, and some people swear by it, but I've never had much luck distinguishing the subtle color differences.  An easier method would be a pH meter, and those are generally available at garden-supply stores, same places that sell seeds, tools, fertilizer, etc.  The only question with any of these methods is, what level is normal?  Seven is neutral, meaning no lime at all in the water, and higher numbers mean more lime.  But how much is too much?  I don't know, but maybe some website has that info.

An even easier method would be to take a sample of your water to a place that sells water softeners.  They'll be glad to test it for you, because they want to sell you a water softener!  Which might be a really good idea.

Chalk in the water?

Water softener??

Okay, I need some education guys. Please explain.

I suspect my tap water contain a high amount of, I am not sure what it is, chalky substance. So I would see whitish stain on dried water drop, and residue built-up on many area that has water ponding, like sanitary fixtures, or even on wok I regularly used for steaming.

Is that what you meant? That somehow the chalk build up and mess with you water heater system?

And.. water softener is for breaking down all these? If it is, would it be safe or contribute another unnatural substance to the water?

And one more question, how ability to measure it actually helps? To prevent from using or to give information for treatment?

I assume that what we call "hard water" here might be called other things in other places, but it's basically water with a lot of natural minerals in it, especially calcium compounds, and I am assuming that's what FL is talking about.  The symptoms include, as you mentioned, mineral deposits left behind when a drop of water dries, including mineral deposits inside the plumbing (which will eventually close off the pipes).  Also soap doesn't work very well, and tends to leave a scummy residue in bathtubs, etc.

A water softener will remove the calcium but will add a certain amount of salt to the water -- not enough that it will taste salty, but enough that some people might want to treat it further (e.g., with a reverse osmosis system) before drinking it.

I assume that a company that installs water softeners would first measure the hardness of the water, but I don't know how they do so (possibly a pH meter as I mentioned, but probably something more sophisticated and specific).  Around here, we have limestone rather than the chalk that FL mentioned, but they're chemically very similar.  (Please note that I'm actually doing a whole lot of hand-waving here, since I have no specific knowledge in this field.)

• Like 1

Sounds convincing enough! :)
Sometimes I wonder how safe isthe treatment on the water, then another treatment on that treatment. But, since it's essential, there are not many other options.

In some places I stay, I either buy drinking water (in big gallons, price is affordable) or in other places, drink directly from tap (water is already treated). In tap friendly area the water indeed doesn't leave any residue that is visible and there is no negative effects as far as I know.
In childhood time, we store and boil rain water for drinking, but it actually damages teeth to certain extent.

Or maybe because it contains no minerals, and therefore tends to leach minerals out of whatever it touches?

I'm not sure really, or whether there are scientific proves to support that.

Basically most children in that town (although me and my siblings turn out fine) have horrible teeth, therefore it's said that rain water was the culprit, and actually supported by the dentists. But I wouldn't put a lot of trust with medical professionals in that town. (my dad had to carry oxygen tank and run by my bed side when I stop breathing before an operation but the hospital was not well equipped they needed to roll me to another room, they gave me general anaesthetic by sneaking behind me and putting a piece of cloth on my face laden with chloroform for the said operation, my cousin was given paracetamol when she was pregnant and the doctor failed to recognize the symptoms, and although technically it happened in another town, but close enough, I once had my left face dead and left vision jumping like crazy because the dentist gave me injection at the wrong spot and my brother got his teeth pulled without anaesthetic by the same dentist because he failed to again, to put it on the right spot).

So... :)

Anyway, we had government running tap water (mostly used for shower and laundry) but somehow we collected rainwater as well (used for cooking, drinking and dishes). I think most people trust rain water more back then, or like the taste of it? :P I remember we had two gigantic wooden water tanks for rainwater storage that me and my brother liked to climb.

Anyway, rain water actually tastes fresher :P, I guess. Long time ago when I was in long expedition and resources were scarce, we collected rain water with rain coat and used it for drinking, with or without charcoal tablets.  ^_^

One thing sure, rain water wouldn't add any minerals to one's diet.  But maybe the people in that town have terrible teeth because they don't eat a good diet?  Or because their mother didn't when she was pregnant with them?  Or because the dentists are so terrible that nobody dares to go for a checkup and cleaning?

I suppose they only go to dentist when they really have to, like we did as well.

Maybe bad habit contributes just as much, and I doubt most had pregnancy care as much as modern day.

Shoot. I thought it would be something that automatically cleaned bathrooms. THAT would be exciting. :p