Sherlock in cinemas

Raspppberyl

So, as you may all probably be aware Sherlock is coming to cinemas again after the success of "The Abominable Bride" in January and this time the last episode of Season 4, "The Final Problem", will be viewable for one night only on the big screen! 

Needless to say, I already pre-booked my ticket! 

post-2490-0-74125100-1482002155_thumb.png 

• Like 1

Wow this is such a coincidence...I've just booked my ticket!

I've been wittering about it and looking for ages and I just spotted the listing and went for it!

I seemed to remember having problems finding and booking TAB last time...of course then I didn't have any idea we may have been so close to the end days.

I'm kind of glad I'll be on my own this time, I may just sob...

Right now they're saying the 16th and the 18th ... http://fathomevents.com/event/sherlock-season-4-finale/more-info/details

Hot dang! One of the theaters is near me! GK3P9Lo.gif

• Like 1

Hmm, I'm open on the 18th. And they have it at the same place where we saw TAB, not too awfully far away. Maybe!

I just wish they'd have a matinee, it's a pain (sometimes literally!) going out at night in January. Ah well ... but no way I'm buying an advance ticket, too much chance of the roads icing over that time of year.

I thought it interesting, that is Mark's comment...oh, sorry, this isn't marked as a spoiler thread.

Anyhow, I gather, Mark made some comment on the lines of : you my get more Sherlock, if you all go and watch this at the cinema?!

Then again, you might not! :D That's a good marketing ploy, though. And they've already promised bonus material, but not what it consists of, so I don't think that's a spoiler.

I don't know, I just feel they're up to something. Something more than just "Ta ta, it was fun but we won't be seeing you again for the foreseeable future." If that was it, I don't know, I just think this isn't how they would let us know. But I've been spectacularly wrong before. ;)

I just feel the issue is this:  they all still want to do it.  But people have looked at their schedules years ahead and they just don't match.

So that bit for me kinda works.

The two aspects I don't get are:

1. Steven's comment: they(Benedict and Martin) only did the last series, for the sake of the fans.

2. The different suggestion that in future Sherlock may be a film, rather than a TV show...

All those things don't seem to quite add up.

Seems to me like many of the official explanations we've heard over the years have actually been excuses. Yes, the actors want to do a variety of things. Yes, they're very busy. But if Moftiss were actually all rarin' to go, they'd surely just look at everyone's schedule as currently known, pick the earliest blank spot that they all have in common, and get everyone under contract for it.

But they don't seem to be doing that. It's possible that the actors are wanting to leave themselves open until some hoped-for projects firm up. But it's also possible that the Moftisses are actually in no hurry, and are using the actors' schedules as an excuse.

• Like 1

I personally think the blank space is about 5 years ahead and that is the issue.  Benedict has been abducted by Marvel, for a start.

I know Benedict and Freeman have signed on for a Season 5 as well as Moftiss having plans for what they want to do with Sherlock for the years to come but when or even if that day will arrive is beyond my knowledge. I think it's always going to be a guessing game for Sherlock seasons until they are officially confirmed or the show is officially announced as being finished or cancelled. 

Er I really hate to disappoint you, but I don't think either Benedict or Martin have signed up to S 5 at all.

I thought the BBC had given the general okay for a season five...but there will have been no contracts as yet.

Judging by my interpretation of something BC said a few years back (and then had to retract the press's mangled version of it), the two of them have agreed in principle to do S5, meaning (I think) that if the BBC commissions it (which is not likely to occur till after S4 airs) and if Moftiss can find a timeframe when everyone's available, then they will do it. Dunno if they actually signed anything or if it was just a handshake, but they're both honorable men.

• Like 1

Yes and no.

As we've already seen, MF will honor his contracts even if something really juicy comes along. He turned down The Hobbit because he was under contract for Sherlock and the filming dates conflicted. The only reason he got to do both was that Jackson was so determined to get him that he changed his schedule for The Hobbit.

I'm pretty sure that a lot of actors would have simply broken their contract with Hartswood. But as I said, Freeman is an honorable man (and I suspect the same can be said of Cumberbatch).

Anyway, I think it's the scheduling that is the issue...I don't think anybody's fallen out with Sherlock, they just cannot see the time for it.

My ticket is booked for the the Dublin screening!!

I am hoping the guys are under-promising so they can over-deliver. I do believe Sherlock must be one of the most fun cast/ crew combinations in the business, and that will encourage them all to come back and do it again.

• Like 1