Episode 4.2 "The Lying Detective"

Undead Medic

What Did You Think Of "The Lying Detective"?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Add your vote here:

• 10/10 Excellent.
    • 9/10 Not quite the best, but not far off.
    • 8/10 Certainly worth watching again.
    • 7/10 Slightly above the norm.
    • 6/10 Average.
    • 5/10 Slightly sub-par.
    • 4/10 Decidedly below average.
    • 3/10 Pretty Poor.
    • 2/10 Bad.
    • 1/10 Awful.

9 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

No, it wasn't cut (they stopped doing that after series 2), just been a while since I watched it. 

What all did they cut in series 1 and 2 for the American series? I'm only interested in the Mycroft scenes, where any of his cut?

I've seen other people's lists on the internet, but have no idea how to find them.  I do recall that one gal said she'd sat with Ariane Devere's episode transcript on her lap while watching PBS, and every time something was cut, she marked it.  You might be able to find that with Google.

I wasn't at all that methodical, just made notes of things I happened to notice -- such as the following:

For Study in Pink

For Scandal in Belgravia

For Reichenbach Fall

I didn't notice many Mycroft cuts in those three episodes, primarily the "danger night" scene in Scandal and Cut #3 in Reichenbach.

• 3 months later...

I hadn't watched any Sherlock episodes in months and then I recently saw this one and my god. I had forgotten just how much I love it. Even Ghost Mary bothered me less than I had remembered.

Still am convinced that Eurus was being honest when she had "Faith" say Sherlock was nicer than she had expected. Eurus seems to have a soft spot for Sherlock, doesn't she. I wonder whether she initially took along the gun with the idea of maybe shooting him on the spot or actually killing herself or both but then she decided no, little brother is fun to play with, I'll go through with the Sherrinford plan.

Sherlock undulating between completely messed up and brilliant is so wonderful to watch.

Also, I really really do not mind badass Mrs Hudson. It suits her imho. :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, T.o.b.y said:

I hadn't watched any Sherlock episodes in months and then I recently saw this one and my god. I had forgotten just how much I love it. Even Ghost Mary bothered me less than I had remembered.

Still am convinced that Eurus was being honest when she had "Faith" say Sherlock was nicer than she had expected. Eurus seems to have a soft spot for Sherlock, doesn't she. I wonder whether she initially took along the gun with the idea of maybe shooting him on the spot or actually killing herself or both but then she decided no, little brother is fun to play with, I'll go through with the Sherrinford plan.

Sherlock undulating between completely messed up and brilliant is so wonderful to watch.

Also, I really really do not mind badass Mrs Hudson. It suits her imho. :D

Yes indeed, it's possibly my favorite episode. And I loved the device of Ghost Mary.

One thing I like about this episode is, in spite of the amount of time they spend on Sherlock, it's really a John-centric episode, and I always felt he'd gone a bit missing starting with Season 3. I know a lot of people don't like what they reveal about John, but I'm okay with it. Gives him depth.

I think Eurus took the gun along "knowing" it would lure Sherlock into her game. She had to convince him that "Faith" needed him. If it hadn't worked, she would have created a new personality and tried something else. But I agree, she was genuinely surprised to find he was "nice". After all, for 20-30 years all she had to go on was Mycroft. That might be enough to make anyone homicidal. ;) 

• Like 2

P.S. -- "badass" Mrs. H is awesome. Especially when she pretends to cry in order to get John to do what she wants. :D 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Just searched on Sherlock "News" and this little video came up, no idea why, since it's clearly not new news, but I don't offhand recall seeing it before:

What they say about Toby Jones as Culverton Smith feels a bit peculiar to me right now, because we're watching the TV show Detectorists [link] in which Jones plays a very sweet and unassuming character.

My actor friend worked on that show and she told me some stories...

because it's me, I can't remember exactly what she said...

I think she implied there was a lot of standing about, being bored to death-

can't imagine that on a Sherlock set.

11 minutes ago, besleybean said:

I think she implied there was a lot of standing about, being bored to death-

can't imagine that on a Sherlock set.

That is entirely believable, if our experience on North Gower ("Baker") Street [link] is anything to go by!

What role your friend play in that episode?

No idea, didn't watch...

Maggie Daniels, she was Mrs Raggles(is it?) in Vanity Fair.

You mean with Mark and Martin it would be hilarious, I assume...

1 hour ago, besleybean said:

Maggie Daniels, she was Mrs Raggles(is it?) in Vanity Fair.

Here she is on IMDb [link], and yes she played Mrs. Raggles, but she's not listed for any Sherlock episodes -- uncredited role, presumably.

Sorry, no I meant she was on The Detectorists!

Obviously I have watched all of Sherlock multiple times!

I also wouldn't refer to it as 'that show'!

Yeah I looked at the IMDb.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Just searched on Sherlock "News" and this little video came up, no idea why, since it's clearly not new news, but I don't offhand recall seeing it before:

What they say about Toby Jones as Culverton Smith feels a bit peculiar to me right now, because we're watching the TV show Detectorists [link] in which Jones plays a very sweet and unassuming character.

I'm pretty sure that's one of the videos they showed after the episodes to fill out the two-hour timeslot. It might even be on the DVD, I can't remember. Been a lot time since I watched any of the "bonus" stuff.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, besleybean said:

Sorry, no I meant she was on The Detectorists!

Oh, sorry, misunderstood.  (When you said "that show," I thought you meant that episode of Sherlock, The Lying Detective, and I've lost track of who was or wasn't still watching by then.)  I don't see her listed in Detectorists either, though, so apparently an uncredited role in any case.

12 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I'm pretty sure that's one of the videos they showed after the episodes to fill out the two-hour timeslot. It might even be on the DVD, I can't remember. Been a lot time since I watched any of the "bonus" stuff.

... and that one was relatively non-memorable.  It just struck me as ironic, considering how benign Jones's character in Detectorists is.  Of course he also played the very well-meaning Dobby the house-elf (the voice at least, and we think they somewhat based the animation on him as well).

I'm trying to remember now if she said they deleted her scenes...that was possibly part of her beef!

Ha.

9 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

... and that one was relatively non-memorable.

Alas, I seem to remember feeling that way about most of the S4 extras. Like they'd all run out of enthusiasm for the show and were just going through the motions. Which I get, but it's still a pity.

I don't think any of them have run out of enthusiasm.

They are all just too busy doing other things.

It was understandable that Mark and Steven were excited about their then new Dracula project.

5 hours ago, besleybean said:

I don't think any of them have run out of enthusiasm.

They are all just too busy doing other things.

It was understandable that Mark and Steven were excited about their then new Dracula project.

Let's not say loss of enthusiasm, then, let's just say everybody can use a change of pace now and then.  But sooner or later, an irresistible idea for a new Sherlock episode will occur to Moftiss, and because all of them have been focused on other things for a while, Sherlock will be a change of pace.  Sooner or later.