Episode 4.3 "The Final Problem"

Undead Medic

What did you think of "The Final Problem?"  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Add your vote here:

• 10/10 Excellent.
    • 9/10 Not quite the best, but not far off.
    • 8/10 Certainly worth watching again.
    • 7/10 Slightly above the norm.
    • 6/10 Average.
    • 5/10 Slightly sub-par.
    • 4/10 Decidedly below average.
    • 3/10 Pretty Poor.
    • 2/10 Bad.
    • 1/10 Awful.

I would also sign, and gladly pay for a .pdf (or a printed copy, why not illustrated with stills from the series too, while we're at it?!'. I would think anyone who studies screenwritingmight also be interested.

Sherlock saved Molly and Molly saved Sherlock. Because after the love scene, Euros decided not to let Sherlock kill himself. Earlier, she didn't mind when Sherlock almost fell of the bridge. So she has changed, and the only reason can be that she saw the love between Sherlock and Molly, after that she wanted Sherlocks love too.

I'm sorry, Loekie, which scene do you mean? I don't remember a scene where Sherlock is close to falling off a bridge. Do you mean when he and "Faith" were taking a walk? He wasn't about to fall, there, he was collapsing in pain from the effect of the drugs he was taking. But he wasn't in any danger of falling off. If he had been, I think "Faith" might have saved him ... because she still wanted to play her game with him.

Did seeing his love for Molly change her mind about what she would do to Sherlock? I don't know, I think that's still a big question.

Sherlock looked harmed but Faith said or did nothing. When Sherlock put a pistol on his head, Euros screamed: No Sherlock! Don't! Quite a difference.

Well, yeah, but he was moments away from blowing his own brains out, which is also a big difference. :smile:

It just occurred to me to wonder what Eurus would have done if all three of them had decided to just sit on the floor and do nothing. Pretend to crash the plane, I guess.

But I think that would be my choice in that situation. Somehow, letting someone else crash a plane seems less worse to me than choosing to shoot yourself in front of your best friend. Less personal, I guess. I suppose that makes me rather shallow. ;)

• Like 1

Sherlock saved Molly and Molly saved Sherlock. Because after the love scene, Euros decided not to let Sherlock kill himself. Earlier, she didn't mind when Sherlock almost fell of the bridge. So she has changed, and the only reason can be that she saw the love between Sherlock and Molly, after that she wanted Sherlocks love too.

I'm sorry, Loekie, which scene do you mean? I don't remember a scene where Sherlock is close to falling off a bridge. Do you mean when he and "Faith" were taking a walk? He wasn't about to fall, there, he was collapsing in pain from the effect of the drugs he was taking. But he wasn't in any danger of falling off. If he had been, I think "Faith" might have saved him ... because she still wanted to play her game with him.

Did seeing his love for Molly change her mind about what she would do to Sherlock? I don't know, I think that's still a big question.

Sherlock looked harmed but Faith said or did nothing. When Sherlock put a pistol on his head, Euros screamed: No Sherlock! Don't! Quite a difference.

About Molly and Eurus' decision- IF the show were coming back soon, I would guess this is possible: That part of the reason Eurus looked kind of disappointed at the end of the Molly/ I love you scene was that she realised Sherlock has some genuine attachment to her, and was kind of sorry she didn't opt for genuine explosives, and was possibly planning a do-over.

The moment I'd argue when Eurus showed a lack of concern for his health was more the drone than the bridge.

But if the show takes ages to come back then I don't see them picking up any loose ends from TFP. I actually like the idea of them being liberated from their elaborate cliffhangers- they take up too much of the first episode when they do come back trying to make sense of things.

• Like 1

Whenever they come back (if they do), they almost have to resolve Molly's story, don't they? At the least, they should write her out of the show by mentioning she moved to America or something. To have her back in the same old role without acknowledging "that" scene would be ... awful, even if it's only a couple years from now.

I love Molly, but if they're not going to do anything else with her, I'd just as soon she'd go, so I could imagine her having the life she deserves.

• Like 1

Euros could have reacted like: this is not what I want. And then the solution. But she screamed: no Sherlock! Sherlock don't do that!!!

Rather strange. I think she was liking Sherlock more and more. She even gave him time to take a rest after the confrontation with Molly.

Yeah, that is part of what made me think they aren't coming back as well- they brought Molly's storyline to a point where something decisive ought to have happened, and even though they kind of chickened out of a real resolution, (because the montage kind of was a cop out for Molly, whatever Moffat says) they couldn't very well return and not acknowledge it.

But I don't think they would have taken it to that point if they were definitely coming back- because they have always loved having LB on the show.

I think they like the idea of leaving the show where there is a possibility that something happened between Sherlock and Molly and we just don't know- which they can't sustain if they are coming back

• Like 1

Whenever they come back (if they do), they almost have to resolve Molly's story, don't they? 

tumblr_m5papdJfLv1rwcc6bo1_500.gif

It's very unlikely that Moffatiss are going to bring up the 'I love you' scene again if they do a Season 5 judging by what Moffat said in this interview:

Normally, we present Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson as in their 40s or 50s, and we started with them in their 30s, so in a way, it's the end of their youth. If we came back again, if we did do another series in a few year's time, then they would be, finally, the normal age for Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, who were always presented as older. 

So basically Moffat wants Season 5 to be set quite some time after Season 4 ended because he wants Sherlock and John to be older.

Thus it's unlikely that he's going to bring up the 'I love you' scene which happened years ago.

Did seeing his love for Molly change her mind about what she would do to Sherlock? I don't know, I think that's still a big question.

About Molly and Eurus' decision- IF the show were coming back soon, I would guess this is possible: That part of the reason Eurus looked kind of disappointed at the end of the Molly/ I love you scene was that she realised Sherlock has some genuine attachment to her, and was kind of sorry she didn't opt for genuine explosives, and was possibly planning a do-over.

The moment I'd argue when Eurus showed a lack of concern for his health was more the drone than the bridge.

But if the show takes ages to come back then I don't see them picking up any loose ends from TFP. I actually like the idea of them being liberated from their elaborate cliffhangers- they take up too much of the first episode when they do come back trying to make sense of things.

Eurus had to know that Sherlock had some kind of attachment to Molly otherwise her test or goading of him in the ILY test wouldn't have worked, right? I mean if he had no real feelings for Molly she wouldn't have been able to torture Sherlock by hurting himself and Molly. I've wondered how since the show aired that Eurus knew about Sherlock's attachment to Molly when Moriarty, John and Mycroft didn't seem to.

Personally I don't think they'll ever mention the ILY scene again regardless of when the show comes back in the future. It'll be like TEH where you'll just find out what her current relationship status is at the time, if she's still on the show.

I love Molly, but if they're not going to do anything else with her, I'd just as soon she'd go, so I could imagine her having the life she deserves.

I completely agree. If her only function is being in unrequited love with Sherlock, then there's really nothing more to do with the character after awhile.

I think they like the idea of leaving the show where there is a possibility that something happened between Sherlock and Molly and we just don't know- which they can't sustain if they are coming back

Didn't Mark Gatiss say as much in that BTS video about the ILY scene?

Did seeing his love for Molly change her mind about what she would do to Sherlock? I don't know, I think that's still a big question.

Eurus had to know that Sherlock had some kind of attachment to Molly otherwise her test or goading of him in the ILY test wouldn't have worked, right? I mean if he had no real feelings for Molly she wouldn't have been able to torture Sherlock by hurting himself and Molly.

Personally I don't think they'll ever mention the ILY scene again regardless of when the show comes back in the future. It'll be like TEH where you'll just find out what her current relationship status is at the time, if she's still on the show.

I like the idea of Eurus guessing the intricacies of their relationship, but how do you think she guessed it? I can see how she could have guessed Molly's feelings, because she's quite easy to read. But with Sherlock, I think his reaction to the test surprised her. I'm inclined to believe that part of the reason she chose Molly was that Molly had been spending time with Sherlock and she observed that and inferred some kind of relationship.

Though, I will admit, I'm at a loss as to how she came upon that particularly telling code phrase.

If I come at this from the writers point of view, I can totally see why they plotted the scene this way- they want to explore Sherlock's heart, but they also don't want to commit to him actually having feelings for someone- so they wanted to devise a scene where he had to say 'I love you', under duress, and confront whether or not he meant it, without the audience knowing. It is a great piece of character development, in one way, but written in erasable ink.

Maybe Eurus did this for the same reason of character study- just place him in a stressful and emotional scenario and see what he would do? For all we know, she thought the relationship was the other way round- that Sherlock liked Molly but she didn't reciprocate- which would mean he was the one humiliated in asking her to say it- that would still have provided Eurus the same kind of entertainment. You can even question, who would the plaque on the coffin logically be written by, the person inside it, or the person who was burying them? 'So many words unsaid,' but by whom?

You're probably right they won't mention it again, even though I'll be so annoyed!

bedelia1984, on 31 Jan 2017 - 9:08 PM, said:

Yes, that's where I got the impression, but what I meant was that it seems very hard to never answer that question if they bring those characters both back in the show- it's a more effective ending if the show ends there. Though it also depends on the format of how they bring the show back of course.

I keep wondering if Mrs Hudson/ Una Stubbs will have retired for the next one (if it happens) too. I wonder if they changed the peripheral cast would the show still feel the same? I'm not sure I'd like it as much.

Eurus had to know that Sherlock had some kind of attachment to Molly otherwise her test or goading of him in the ILY test wouldn't have worked, right? I mean if he had no real feelings for Molly she wouldn't have been able to torture Sherlock by hurting himself and Molly.

I like the idea of Eurus guessing the intricacies of their relationship, but how do you think she guessed it? I can see how she could have guessed Molly's feelings, because she's quite easy to read. But with Sherlock, I think his reaction to the test surprised her. I'm inclined to believe that part of the reason she chose Molly was that Molly had been spending time with Sherlock and she observed that and inferred some kind of relationship.

Though, I will admit, I'm at a loss as to how she came upon that particularly telling code phrase.

If I come at this from the writers point of view, I can totally see why they plotted the scene this way- they want to explore Sherlock's heart, but they also don't want to commit to him actually having feelings for someone- so they wanted to devise a scene where he had to say 'I love you', under duress, and confront whether or not he meant it, without the audience knowing. It is a great piece of character development, in one way, but written in erasable ink.

Maybe Eurus did this for the same reason of character study- just place him in a stressful and emotional scenario and see what he would do? For all we know, she thought the relationship was the other way round- that Sherlock liked Molly but she didn't reciprocate- which would mean he was the one humiliated in asking her to say it- that would still have provided Eurus the same kind of entertainment. You can even question, who would the plaque on the coffin logically be written by, the person inside it, or the person who was burying them? 'So many words unsaid,' but by whom?

You're probably right they won't mention it again, even though I'll be so annoyed!

bedelia1984, on 31 Jan 2017 - 9:08 PM, said:

Yes, that's where I got the impression, but what I meant was that it seems very hard to never answer that question if they bring those characters both back in the show- it's a more effective ending if the show ends there. Though it also depends on the format of how they bring the show back of course.

I keep wondering if Mrs Hudson/ Una Stubbs will have retired for the next one (if it happens) too. I wonder if they changed the peripheral cast would the show still feel the same? I'm not sure I'd like it as much.

I know I wouldn't enjoy the show as much without the secondary cast. If it was just Sherlock and Watson with the case of the week, it would be pretty much like every other crime procedural and would lose some of the show's charm.

Eurus likely didn't know that Sherlock's feelings for Molly were as strong as they are but she had to know that Molly loved Sherlock and that she is someone close to Sherlock given that the code was intended to be said by Molly within 3 minutes and that she wanted to observe Sherlock with people he was close to. Since Eurus could have been coming and going from Sherinford for years, she could have been observing Sherlock in his life for a long time and had to know who he was spending the most time with like you indicated.

• Like 2

Yes, that's where I got the impression, but what I meant was that it seems very hard to never answer that question if they bring those characters both back in the show

I don't see why Sherlock couldn't have just told Molly the truth about that situation later. I mean he does trust her doesn't he? I don't see why he would hide Euros from her. I mean surely Molly would hear of his flat being blown up and she would ask him who did it.

• Like 1

Pesonally, I think it's pretty obvious to everyone, including Sherlock, that Molly's in love with him, so I don't think Eurus would have any trouble finding it out. And that's all she needed for her experiment; it didn't matter whether Sherlock loved her back or not, what mattered was how he would react to forcing her to confess her love.

Moriarty, on the other hand, needed to know who Sherlock cared about, so he could use them as leverage. It didn't matter how Molly felt about Sherlock; it only mattered whether Sherlock cared enough about her to make her a pressure point. He appeared not to care about her at all, so Moriarty left her out of his calculations..

I know the romantics in us want to believe Sherlock was telling the truth when he told Molly "she mattered" in TRF; but it's very easy for me to read that scene as Sherlock simply manipulating her again, like he always did. The only moment I can point to in the first two seasons and say with any certainty that he meant what he said to her is when he apologized in the Christmas scene.

I do think he became genuinely fond of her after that, though.

• Like 1

I know the romantics in us want to believe Sherlock was telling the truth when he told Molly "she mattered" in TRF; but it's very easy for me to read that scene as Sherlock simply manipulating her again, like he always did. The only moment I can point to in the first two seasons and say with any certainty that he meant what he said to her is when he apologized in the Christmas scene.

TBH that scene never made much sense to me.

Sherlock said he needed Molly to find the corpse of his doppelganger. However why would he need Molly's help? He had Mycroft and all of MI6 helping him. They could have easily helped him find the body. There wasn't any need to include Molly and potentially threaten her life.

It looked more like Moffat wanted Molly to matter but he couldn't think of how to write it in a plausible way. So Moffat just wrote whatever came to his mind even if it didn't make much sense.

Honestly all that stuff about the doppelganger felt pretty forced to me, especially how Sherlock deduced what happened to him. Sherlock said Moriarty had to get rid of the doppelganger after he was done with him but how can Sherlock say that for sure? Maybe the doppelganger was just someone in disguise. It didn't need to be someone who looked exactly like Sherlock. Maybe the doppelganger could have just removed his disguise after he was done impersonating Sherlock and then went about living his regular life?

It felt like the whole doppelganger subplot was just created so Moffat could somehow make Molly matter.

If anything, I think this shows that Molly's character has never actually been done justice in the show.

• Like 2

I think Mark Gatiss prefers Molly for Sherlock and Moffat prefers Adler for Sherlock.

• Like 1

Pesonally, I think it's pretty obvious to everyone, including Sherlock, that Molly's in love with him, so I don't think Eurus would have any trouble finding it out. And that's all she needed for her experiment; it didn't matter whether Sherlock loved her back or not, what mattered was how he would react to forcing her to confess her love.

Moriarty, on the other hand, needed to know who Sherlock cared about, so he could use them as leverage. It didn't matter how Molly felt about Sherlock; it only mattered whether Sherlock cared enough about her to make her a pressure point. He appeared not to care about her at all, so Moriarty left her out of his calculations..

I do think he became genuinely fond of her after that, though.

Sherlock's attitude changed towards Molly when she said "I don't matter." His reaction to that was genuine surprise. Her subsequent offer to help him was just a set up of his later asking her for help with the plan in that episode. I always felt that he didn't really need her help because Mycroft was the main influence on the plan but that it was important to him that Molly did know she mattered to him so he found something he could use her help with. "Why would I need your help?" This is consistent with TEH when he made a point of thanking her as well by mentioning she did matter and that she was important to the plan because Moriarty didn't know that. There was no reason for him to be manipulating her in TEH since he had already gotten her help. It's more like he realized how Molly interpreted his aloof attitude towards her and he subsequently made an effort to be nicer after that. Manipulation wasn't the point at all of TRF/TEH to me but it wasn't romantic either.

• Like 3

It felt like the whole doppelganger subplot was just created so Moffat could somehow make Molly matter.

If anything, I think this shows that Molly's character has never actually been done justice in the show.

It could be it was Moffat's response to criticism with how he writes female characters, trying to find a way to make Molly not so much of a doormat that just took Sherlock's abuse.

• Like 1

Eurus had to know that Sherlock had some kind of attachment to Molly otherwise her test or goading of him in the ILY test wouldn't have worked, right? I mean if he had no real feelings for Molly she wouldn't have been able to torture Sherlock by hurting himself and Molly. I've wondered how since the show aired that Eurus knew about Sherlock's attachment to Molly when Moriarty, John and Mycroft didn't seem to.

Maybe John has told her. She was his "therapist", even if for an hour or so.

• Like 1

So does anyone else find it strange that there's no evidence in this episode that Sherlock decided to give his friend Victor a proper burial? I mean John had found his skeleton in the well. Why weren't there any scenes of Sherlock seeing that his former best friend had his remains buried?  :wtf:

Oh yeah it's because we were supposed to sympathise with Euros. Never mind she killed a 6 year old boy. We're supposed to feel sorry for Euros by the end of the episode. :cry:  We can't have a proper burial given to Victor. He would make poor Euros look bad. That's why Sherlock seemed to conveniently forget about Victor a minute after remembering him. 

The way Sherlock forgets Victor really does his character a disservice because his relationship with Victor actually had been built up over the series. Everything Sherlock said about Redbeard was actually a reference to Victor. For example, in His Last Vow when Sherlock is going into shock after being shot by Mary, he calms himself down by going to see Redbeard. This implies that when Sherlock was stressed as a child he could rely on Victor to comfort him. It makes basically no sense for him to forget about Victor by the end of the episode.

Honestly Lestrade's 'Sherlock is a good man' quote would have made a lot more sense if in that scene Sherlock had said something like, 'There's another friend of mine down that well. I'd appreciate it if you could help me get him out.'

That would have done a much better job of showing how Sherlock was a good man than simply expressing concern for Mycroft. We already knew that Sherlock cared about Mycroft ever since that scene in the morgue in A Scandal in Belgravia where Sherlock wished Mycroft a 'Merry Christmas' after Mycroft comforted him on seeing Irene Adler's alleged corpse.

While I do agree that we can assume much of what happened in regard to Victor, I also agree that a bit more acknowledgement would have been nice too.   I guess right in the moment Sherlock was pre-occupied with the friend and brother who he could still save...but who knows maybe in future years we will get some brief scene of Sherlock respectfully paying a visit to a cemetery.  Maybe its somewhere he goes to contemplate cases.  He places a hand gently on a headstone somewhere. And then we can yell "Victor Trevor!"   And then someone else will say "No, it had to have been Mary's". And then someone else will have another theory.  And then we can all debate for years lol  (But in my mind, it would be Victor's and it would be a place Sherlock goes often.) 

• Like 3

Yes, that's where I got the impression, but what I meant was that it seems very hard to never answer that question if they bring those characters both back in the show

I don't see why Sherlock couldn't have just told Molly the truth about that situation later. I mean he does trust her doesn't he? I don't see why he would hide Euros from her. I mean surely Molly would hear of his flat being blown up and she would ask him who did it.

Yes I do think she will know about what happened with Eurus. What I meant is that it would be harder to leave the question of where Molly and Sherlock stand with each other after in an ambiguous light if they are returning. Like, are things still the same between them and we are supposed to believe Molly keeps up the friendship and/or moves on, even moves away? Just showing her at Baker Street doesn't clarify the particulars, so I think they felt they could get away with that if the show finishes there, and let people interpret it as they want.

About Victor, I felt like Sherlock still needed time to process his memories and his feelings about Victor. I wonder if he had time to start even thinking of him as a real person, between the discovery of the bones and the episode conclusion.

• Like 2

Well, Sherlockshome.net just posted the results of their poll of the episodes, and it comes as no surprise that TST is last, TEH coming right after, while SiP, TLD, TRF and SiB top the list.

It was a matter of great personal satisfaction to me that HLV gathered only about 5%, and SoT dropped considerably.

It is the creators' show, so they can do anything with it, just like Sir Arthur gave permission to William Gillette to do practically anything with Sherlock Holmes, but it is ultimately the viewing public which votes with their preferences.

Frankly, nothing can beat The Woman and Sherlock, since the same result was reached in the 2015 poll.

We were talking about the scripts a few posts back ... JP discovered that the Series 1 scripts are online! Here's the link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scripts/sherlock

Thanks JP!

• Like 5

Sherlock's attitude changed towards Molly when she said "I don't matter." His reaction to that was genuine surprise. Her subsequent offer to help him was just a set up of his later asking her for help with the plan in that episode. I always felt that he didn't really need her help because Mycroft was the main influence on the plan but that it was important to him that Molly did know she mattered to him so he found something he could use her help with. "Why would I need your help?" This is consistent with TEH when he made a point of thanking her as well by mentioning she did matter and that she was important to the plan because Moriarty didn't know that. There was no reason for him to be manipulating her in TEH since he had already gotten her help. It's more like he realized how Molly interpreted his aloof attitude towards her and he subsequently made an effort to be nicer after that. Manipulation wasn't the point at all of TRF/TEH to me but it wasn't romantic either.

I have always thought that Mycroft's involvement in Sherlock's plans were a bit of an afterthought on Moftiss' part. I remember the first time I saw TEH, I was really surprised to find out the brothers worked on the plan together, because Moftiss had gone to so much trouble to show how much Sherlock resented Mycroft's interference in his life.

So my compromise "head canon" is ... maybe Sherlock had to work with Mycroft somewhat, but maybe he deliberately relied on big brother's resources as little as possible, just to maintain his independence. That's why he used his homeless network to pull of the air bag scheme, instead of government agents. And that's why he used Molly to help with the body (and, one assumes, faking the paperwork afterwards.) But he had to use Mycroft's people to help control the snipers, because his own people weren't equipped to handle that.

As to the doppelganger ... I think it was just Sherlock's theory that such a person existed; he didn't actually know until Molly found the body in the morgue. They've pulled that trick more than once on this show; Sherlock makes an educated guess, then someone confirms his guess, because they assume he's stating something he actually knows. Like Harry and her drinking problem in ASiP.

Anyway, if there hadn't been a doppelganger to be found, I'm sure they would have come up with something else. I never understood why they needed a body double anyway; it's not like John was going to be able to tell if it was a fake Sherlock or not from that distance. Although I suppose they couldn't be sure he wouldn't get close enough to tell.

And to bring this back on topic ... for the first time it makes sense to me that they staged TRF as early as they did. It needed to happen fairly early in their relationship because eventually, John figures out what a BS'er Sherlock is. :smile: In other words, if John had known Sherlock as well then as he does by the end of Series 4, I don't think he would ever have believed that Sherlock actually jumped in TRF.  Which certainly would have robbed that moment of a lot of its emotional impact, if nothing else.

• Like 1

It just occurred to me to wonder what Eurus would have done if all three of them had decided to just sit on the floor and do nothing. Pretend to crash the plane, I guess.

I had the same thought while I was watching it.  I was also fully expecting him to turn the gun on himself.  It's what I would have done, if doing nothing didn't work.  He was the focus of her "experiments", it wasn't going to end until he took himself out of the study.  I remember saying to my dog, "He should turn the gun on himself.  She won't like that."

• Like 1