Episode 4.3 "The Final Problem"

Undead Medic

What did you think of "The Final Problem?"  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Add your vote here:

• 10/10 Excellent.
    • 9/10 Not quite the best, but not far off.
    • 8/10 Certainly worth watching again.
    • 7/10 Slightly above the norm.
    • 6/10 Average.
    • 5/10 Slightly sub-par.
    • 4/10 Decidedly below average.
    • 3/10 Pretty Poor.
    • 2/10 Bad.
    • 1/10 Awful.

Arcadia, that was a fine piece of reasoning, but we shall never be able to fill all the plot holes.

I have no idea why they would say that Jim's brother was a station master, except to have Andrew Scott perform his various train noises. In the Final Problem, it is clearly stated that the late Professor Moriarty's brother is Colonel James Moriarty.

• Like 1

I don't believe Eurus has been forgiven; she's simply been contained. Mycroft says she'll kill again if she gets the chance, and I believe him.

I'm not sure if I believe Mycroft's statement of Euros killing again. I mean why would she kill again? I'm guessing she killed earlier because Sherlock wouldn't play with her but now Sherlock is playing with her so what reason does she have to kill again?

Honestly I think Mycroft may have just said Euros would kill again to justify how he's treating Euros to his parents. He didn't seem eager to discuss her with them at the end. I mean when they asked Mycroft when they could see Euros again, Mycroft just said there's no point because she can't talk. That's a pretty weak excuse because any parent would want to at least see their child even if they can't talk to them.

And I think Sherlock is still free at the beginning of this series because he "has utility", but also because his victim was a bad man. Whereas Eurus kills bad and good alike.

I think Sherlock is free because Mycroft 'convinced' Lady Smallwood into pardoning him.  ;)

Here are some great behind the scenes photos from Arwel's website:

http://www.arwelwjones.com/sherlock-iv.html#PhotoSwipe1486674231097

http://www.arwelwjones.com/uploads/2/6/4/0/26409347/dscf0475_orig.jpg

The spell is broken. :/

How about the whole structure of TEH? Showing us multiple explanations for How He Did It, and never confirming which is the right one.

Isn't the story that Sherlock told Anderson supposed to most likely be the right one?

The reason for this is because the squash ball that Sherlock used to stop his pulse was seen earlier. In the Reichenbach Fall when Sherlock is waiting inside the morgue for John to return from Mycroft's place, he's playing with the squash ball. This is the same squash ball that we see him place under his arm pit in the story he tells Anderson.

I know that Gatiss said in an interview that Sherlock may have not told Anderson the truth but I think Gatiss was just trying to 'challenge' the audience.

• Like 2

I thought this was interesting, it's the ending montage without Mary's voice-over.

http://gosherlocked.tumblr.com/post/156073350526/loveismyrevolution-marcespot-sussexbound

Oh man. Whatever problems I may have with this episode, or with the whole season ... they nailed the ending. I just love it. :wub: 

I know whoever did this probably think it's an improvement, but not I. Mary's voiceover gives it context. ;) Without her narration it's nice; with her narration, it's perfect. IMO, YMMV. :smile:

• Like 4

I definitely prefer it without the narration but I still don't like the montage that much anyway.

I like the montage but not with Mary's narration. It comes across, to me, as very possessive, HER Baker Street Boys, like they need her permission to solve cases together. Hello, they were doing that long before she came into the picture and shouldn't need her or anyone else to tell them they can continue.

I've had a problem with Mary's prominence in the last several episodes, even after she was dead. I feel she became too big a character from TSOT thru TLD, practically an equal with Sherlock. The show was suddenly not Holmes and Watson but Holmes, Watson and Watson. Maybe if someone else had done the final narration or if it had a different tone it wouldn't bother me so much. But to see long time characters like Molly and Lestrade barely used doesn't seem right.

• Like 1

I also prefer it without Mary's narration. It was more intense and beautiful that way, just  letting the images speak for themselves...but yeah either way I am so happy with this ending.  I think they knocked it out of the park with this "happily ever after ending that could also be just a beginning" feeling.  

• Like 2

I've had a problem with Mary's prominence in the last several episodes, even after she was dead. I feel she became too big a character from TSOT thru TLD, practically an equal with Sherlock. The show was suddenly not Holmes and Watson but Holmes, Watson and Watson. Maybe if someone else had done the final narration or if it had a different tone it wouldn't bother me so much. But to see long time characters like Molly and Lestrade barely used doesn't seem right.

This is exactly how I feel as well and said much more eloquently!

I think I understand why Mary was used to narrate the epilogue. I think Moffatiss wanted all characters in the main cast to appear in the epilogue. Since Mary was dead, the only way they could have her appear again was via another one of her DVDs. 

I do think she was used a bit too much in the other episodes. However I like how she was used in The Lying Detective.

• Like 3

Poor Moftiss. They try to prove they're not misogynists, and everyone jumps on them for over-using their main female character.   :lol5: They are rather ham-handed when it comes to writing the ladies, I can't deny. :p

• Like 1

What does everyone think of the kid version of Sherlock? I never think the young Sherlocks are right, I didn't think the actor (aka Moffat's son) playing him in HLV was right either. 

Since Sherlock in season 1 is so skinny I always imagine young Sherlock being one of those skinny kids who's all hair and ears and eyes. A bit odd, slightly ethereal, all innocent curiosity and not yet hardened into hiding his feelings. The kids they choose to play him seem too hearty and healthy to be a tiny version of the Sherlock we meet in ASIP. I know that the young Sherlock in TFP is meant to be before he was damaged by Eurus, but I still think he should have been skinnier and, well, weirder - in an adorable way of course. ;)

• Like 2

What does everyone think of the kid version of Sherlock? I never think the young Sherlocks are right, I didn't think the actor (aka Moffat's son) playing him in HLV was right either. 

Since Sherlock in season 1 is so skinny I always imagine young Sherlock being one of those skinny kids who's all hair and ears and eyes. A bit odd, slightly ethereal, all innocent curiosity and not yet hardened into hiding his feelings. The kids they choose to play him seem too hearty and healthy to be a tiny version of the Sherlock we meet in ASIP. I know that the young Sherlock in TFP is meant to be before he was damaged by Eurus, but I still think he should have been skinnier and, well, weirder - in an adorable way of course. ;)

I thought the child actor that played young Sherlock in The Final Problem was almost perfect. He's almost exactly how I pictured a young Sherlock. It's true that he isn't as skinny but I always thought Sherlock's skinny-ness was something that occurred to him in his later years as he dealt with the tragedy of Victor via drugs etc. I think it makes sense for young Sherlock to be a healthy young boy.

I wasn't a fan of Moffat's son playing young Sherlock in His Last Vow. He's just too chubby. I can buy young Sherlock not being skinny but he shouldn't be chubby either. Honestly I think Moffat's son would have made a better young Mycroft than a young Sherlock. 

I also think that little boy named Archie that appears in The Sign of Three and The Abominable Bride would have made a good young Sherlock. He looks quite a lot like a younger version of Benedict Cumberbatch. However I think he was a bit too old for the age that Moffatiss were going for in the flashbacks so I can see why he wasn't used in The Final Problem.

Still I would have preferred if Moffat's son swapped roles with Archie's actor. Moffat's son can play Archie while Archie's actor can play young Sherlock in His Last Vow. 

I do think Archie would have made a nice Sherlock. In total honesty, I wouldn't have put Moffat's son in either role- because I don't think he has the right qualities for either part, though he does fine in the role he was given.

I do think Archie would have made a nice Sherlock. In total honesty, I wouldn't have put Moffat's son in either role- because I don't think he has the right qualities for either part, though he does fine in the role he was given.

I don't see why Moffat's son couldn't play Archie. I mean Archie doesn't have much of a character. He just acts like a regular kid.

Yeah, he could have played Archie. I just don't know if he would have been able to play the mischievous, dark side of that character so well as the kid they originally cast.

Moffat's as good as a lot of child actors I've seen, but I thought the kid playing Archie just seemed like more of a natural? In general, I'm not really keen on the idea of family members being cast on shows, so I'm a bit skeptical whether they would have cast the boy as Sherlock if he wasn't related to Moffat.

I don't like the fact they seem so intent on casting relatives - it gets a bit beyond in Sherlock when you look at the list. 

• Like 1

I'd say casting relatives work when their relation fits in with the characters they're trying to portray.

Like casting Benedict Cumberbatch's parents as Sherlock's parents was a good move because they already have good chemistry. Similarly casting Amanda Abbington as Mary works because she was Martin Freeman's wife so she had great chemistry with him.

However what does Moffat's son have any relevant relationship to his role? It's not like Moffat's son is related to Benedict Cumberbatch and knew him when he was a child or anything. It looks like he just got the role because he was Moffat's son. 

• Like 1

Yes, I agree Amanda was good casting. In retrospect, I think it was extra smart because the writers seem to struggle a bit with writing women, so ready-made chemistry was really important for Mary. And, Ben's parents are really charming- though I almost wish they would have given them a little bit more- the parents are so interesting and we get told so little, and his parents are experienced professionals too- I believe they could do more. Not take over, or anything, but even one big scene would be nice. I felt like we got these little shards like the mother calling Sherlock 'the adult'- with no explanation as to why.

However what does Moffat's son have any relevant relationship to his role? It's not like Moffat's son is related to Benedict Cumberbatch and knew him when he was a child or anything. It looks like he just got the role because he was Moffat's son. 

I think it looks that way because it is that way. They got away with it because there wasn't a huge amount of acting in the part. But they probably also limited what they could be inspired to do with the young Sherlock in that episode. The part could have also be a nice chance for a child actor who'd been working hard and proved themselves in other roles too. It would be unusual for a show like Sherlock to cast an inexperienced actor in such a role, unless they were really perfect for it or exceptionally gifted as a performer.