Sherlock Fandom - The Good, the Bad And the WTF?

I'm awaiting a second meltdown in ca. 1,5 hours. I only wonder who they blame this time.

bim1rb.jpg

I don't understand, possibly because I'm trying to read this on my cell phone. Who is the woman?

And there is an apple in it. Somehow. Related to IOU. I really read something like a theory. First two lines of it - but it was long.

The tweets to BBCOne are … I don't find a word for it. In any of the languages I know. It feels like I'm in a bad dream. This drama on Twitter and co, and the other in the real world outside. Mirroring themselves.

It cannot be real!

It's like Sherlock's MP on crack, like walking up the walls. Totally, completely NUTS.

Were we attacked by aliens that eat ppls brains and replace them with plum pudding?

BTW, the LGBT comunity will be very happy with this advertising. It make them look like complete idiots.

Mark should come and smack those people with something.

I

just

don't

get

it.

Need sleep. Going to work tomorow. Laterz.

tobed.gif

With all due respect to a series I once loved something fierce, you might be overestimating the impact of this. For the general public out of our little bubble, Sherlock barely registers, let alone its fans.

As for that "secret episode" stuff, would be a great gag but ain't happening. The BBC would piss off way more people with deliberately misleading programme guides than make Sherlock fans happy, I think.

One its actor's name is Ben Chaplin

Any relation to Oona Chaplin (who played John's girlfriend Jeanette)?

As for that "secret episode" stuff, would be a great gag but ain't happening. The BBC would piss off way more people with deliberately misleading programme guides than make Sherlock fans happy, I think.

Is that what this is about -- the Fourth Episode Conspiracy? In which case I still don't understand how the past few posts fit in. :huh:

The pic with Emma Watson was from the *real* programme scheduled for tonight in what used to be Sherlock's timeslot the three Sundays prior. As in, when the Secret Episode would presumably have aired.

• Like 2

The pic with Emma Watson was from the *real* programme scheduled for tonight in what used to be Sherlock's timeslot the three Sundays prior. As in, when the Secret Episode would presumably have aired.

Oh. OK -- now I get it.

So -- what are they actually showing? ;)

I presume that if the BBC had indeed aired another Sherlock episode, one of our British forum members would have told us by now. ;)

• Like 2

Wait a minute -- I think the penny just dropped. The Fourth episode thing was part of TJLC, right? And the fact that there was no Johnlock in TFP "proved" that there would be a fourth, secret episode?

I doubt that even Sherlock Holmes thinks that the world revolves around him to that extent.

I presume that if the BBC had indeed aired another Sherlock episode, one of our British forum members would have told us by now. ;)

Well, in that case -- welcome to the next hiatus, everyone! :D

• Like 3

I don't get it either.

I still don't really get it.. :p

I don't remember what the link was, but I got it from TFP thread, clicked and left it on on another tab then forgot about it until two days ago, I think it's Alex's link, or indirect from that.

Something along Moffat comment about the 4th episode, he said there is NO fourth episode and "FGS, what do you think we are hiding..." Don't quote me, it's around that line, but I could be wrong.

And.. the theory is based on something in TLD, reading too much imho.

*Gah..! I have ink all over my hand and I believe I touched my face. Laterz.*

Well, in that case -- welcome to the next hiatus, everyone! :D

Finally, something I have more experience with! :p

I have to admit my introversion kicks in at questionable times, like when there is overwhelming of posts during active season. I am still bolting, prefer to only go in when I REALLY have time.

• Like 2

Introversion -- hmm, is that why I still haven't visited the episode threads (other than to deposit a few spoilers from other threads)? Hadn't thought of it that way. To me it feels like "please shut up about your opinions till I've decided what mine are." Is that introversion, or is it just -- umm, y'know, I think you're right. I prefer forming my own decisions over reading the opinions of others, at least right at first.

• Like 1

Confirmation bias could happen in all kind of circumstances.

I wonder about the extent of the influence of other people's opinions to us. Experiment with TAB said minimal, or it could be because I tend to eschew emotionally-loaded statements which usually popping up first here. Except for several people here, most tends to react that way and only later after all of it was fully aired out the technical aspects would follow.

For myself ... I think I use other people's ideas to help crystallize my own. "Hm, I like that way of looking at it. But that over there doesn't make sense. Okay, then I'll incorporate the first into my thinking, but not the other." But I have a core sense of what feels "right or wrong" to begin with, or I wouldn't be able to make those decisions. I just need help clarifying. It's laziness, really; I find it easier to steal other people's ideas than coming up with my own.  ;)

For instance, I had noticed, but not cognitively recognized, a certain idea in S4, until someone else pointed it out. But once it was pointed out, I could see all the ways in which it fit. But I can also see scenes in which something else might fit better, so I haven't quite settled on that as 'canon'. It's a good theory, but I'd rather see what other ideas are out there before I claim it as my own. So has this person's ideas influenced mine? Yes. But has this idea changed my core perception of the story -- whatever that is -- that I've carried with me since I first viewed it? Hm, not so sure.

Hmmm, I think I'll have to go upgrade my rating of TFP again; dammit, this episode keeps making me think! :smile:

Edited by Arcadia
removed S4 spoiler
  • Like 3

I'm certainly not above borrowing other people's ideas. But I like to have my own ideas reasonably well formed first, so I'll have something to offer in return.

• Like 2

... I had noticed, but not cognitively recognized, the idea of redemptive love as an all-encompassing theme in S4....

I will freely admit that I'm not much into that sort of analysis. Call me a barbarian if you like, but I'm more into an in-universe analysis: What actually happened? Why did he do that?

Come to think of it, I've apparently always been that way. Those of you who've read The Scarlet Letter (or even the Cliff's Notes) know that it's just dripping with symbolism. So what did I write my term paper (a damned good one!) on? Arthur Dimmesdale's reasons for confessing (in other words, why did he do that?).

Interesting, this self analysis.

• Like 4

I need a counterpart to stop and think first. Otherwise I would get lost in my unfinished thoughts.

Seeing other's opinions helps me to shape my own, by agreeing to or rejecting elements. Sometimes I don't even feel or think something until I see or hear it from outside. :D

And generally, I seldom have a firm opinion about anything. I keep clusters of opinions. Some of them contradictory.

Apparently it's a typical Gemini trait.

The more opinions I collect, the better I can find my own position.

• Like 2

Exactly, JP. Although I'm not a Gemini, so I prefer to say that I'm a typical Perceiver in that regard ... my opinions are always in flux. Well, that's not quite right ... not all my opinions, and not always. But I tend to be what other people might call "wishy-washy". I have a different term for it, one far more flattering to myself, but I'll let y'all deduce it for yourselves lest I come across as too stuck up. :P

BTW, I don't mean to be critiquing the way anyone else does it, just explaining how it's different for me. A lot of my friends tease me about how weird my way of thinking is (to them), maybe it's become a defense mechanism? Nah .... I just think it's interesting. :D

• Like 1

I like to think of myself as flexible. :D But I also like to get my own bearings before entering the wilderness!

• Like 2