Fanfiction / Adaptations that change characters dramatically

For those of you who were saying you'd like to see a female Sherlock, may I present Yoo Seol Ok:

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/04/sherlock-holmes-is-now-a-housewife-in-latest-korean-export-mystery-queen/

I'm going to try to watch this soon.  Was going to try to get it set up on the big TV last night, but surfing the internet on the TV is a giant pain. Maybe this weekend.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Everybody here talk about Sherlock and only him. Well, as someone who is always more interested on the older of the Holmes brothers, I would say that I don't mind versions that change his character dramatically. As long as I find the adaptation/version/whatever is to my taste then it is fine. (Glares towards Mofftiss for making Mycroft looks like a wimp at his own home and Sherrinford when it was him who went undercover to a Serbian crimelord's lair to rescue baby brother who got himself captured and tortured).

• Like 1

First sittything, now Shadow! It must be reunion week!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2019 at 9:52 AM, Shadow Dweller said:

Everybody here talk about Sherlock and only him. Well, as someone who is always more interested on the older of the Holmes brothers, I would say that I don't mind versions that change his character dramatically. As long as I find the adaptation/version/whatever is to my taste then it is fine. (Glares towards Mofftiss for making Mycroft looks like a wimp at his own home and Sherrinford when it was him who went undercover to a Serbian crimelord's lair to rescue baby brother who got himself captured and tortured).

Big Mycroft fan here, too.  It comes from being the eldest sibling (of four) and, it goes without saying, the intellectually superior one of the bunch.  :)  Like Big Myc, from an early age, I also was obsessive about the written word and compiling dossiers on the various people/happenings in my life.  My favorite childhood book was 'Harriet the Spy', if that tells you anything, and since that time I have always gravitated toward tales of mystery and espionage.  I was quite a bit older when I met Brother Mycroft, but the fact that he only appears two piddly times in the Canon is a crying shame.  Moriarty also appears only twice.   Sir Arthur had a propensity for squandering his most interesting supporting characters, I daresay.  One of the best things Mofftiss did was to expand the role of Sherlock's Smarter Elder Brother, and the scenes between Mark and Benedict are usually the highlights of the episodes for me.

Season Four finds every single one of our primary characters behaving abnormally for them, so I don't single out Mycroft here.  Big Myc speaking Serbian was super bad-*$$.  I'm also fond of the 'Tea Party at the Palace' scene in ASiB where Myc mocks his little brother's unfamiliarity with sex and steps on the Sheet, doing the viewing womankind the world over a huge favor.  And who can forget 'Deductions' in TEH?

My favorite short story of the Canon is "The Bruce-Partington Plans", the second of Mycroft's appearances.  The first one, 'The Greek Interpreter' has the memorable line from Mycroft to Dr. Watson, "I hear of Sherlock everywhere since you became his biographer."

My favorite Mycroft fan videos:

Sad

Happy

My first sail on the Good Ship Mystrade, and still the best.  Don't ask me why I ship it . . it makes little sense as I want Rupert Graves all to myself.  But how can you not sing along with the irrepressible John Barrowman?

I still think the "deduce-off" is still one of my favorite scenes in the whole series.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I still think the "deduce-off" is still one of my favorite scenes in the whole series.

Yes . . .along with the "Operation Oopsie!', "Back to Baker Street?" and "Mycroft Begs Sherlock to Take Over For Him at the Lez Miz Interval"

"the horror . .!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just in case there's anyone else here who was unfamiliar with the term "stan" -- I've just learned that it's like "fan" only more so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Just in case there's anyone else here who was unfamiliar with the term "stan" -- I've just learned that it's like "fan" only more so.

LIke, 'Super' fan.  But where does the T come from?

According to Wikipedia, the term stan comes from a song by that name (recorded by eminem), about an obsessive fan (named Stan).

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

According to Wikipedia, the term stan comes from a song by that name (recorded by eminem), about an obsessive fan (named Stan).

Thanks for that.  I'm seeing 'stan' everywhere these days, re. celebrities.  I could get the meaning but wondered where that came from.

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2019 at 4:04 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Thanks! I was wondering where that came from.