Series 5 Rumors, Speculation, and Wish Lists

Ozgood

Yeah, at the risk of repeating myself, I've always thought this show owed more to fantasy than to detective fiction. :smile: Which is fine by me.

Yes, I should take that on board! I guess I'm analysing way too much into the show because I write fan fiction that largely consists of writing missing scenes.... those scenes that explain how things came to be sometimes. I think there's a permanent bruise on my forehead from colliding with my keyboard on a regular basis.

For some reason the window jump doesn't bother me in the least, it's hyperbole, like Sherlock's mind palace, or his coat. Everything about the show is somewhat flamboyant, that's part of why I love it!

Flamboyant! Love it!
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi, does anyone know anything about the version of Dracula that Gatiss and Moffatt are going to do? I haven't heard anything since I first learned about it. I'm assuming that it's going to be a modern adaptation like Sherlock? I could be wrong though. If it happens and it's successful this might impact on a possible 5th series. At the very least it might push it way into the future?

I don't think they've revealed anything about it except that they're working on that instead of Sherlock. :( We're all expecting a lonnnnnng, possibly permanent hiatus ... but we don't KNOW anything because the Moftisses ain't telling. Because they love to torture us, we presume. :)

• Like 3

... or possibly because the Moftisses haven't made up their minds yet.  Or might change them in the future, after they get bored with Dracula.  Or who knows?

• Like 4

I think it's unlikely that there won't be a series 5 at some point. My only concern is that Cumberbatch might get tired of being thought of as 'Sherlock,' just as Rathbone started to resent Holmes. They certainly couldn't do another series with another actor in the role!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Not much revealed about a potential S5 for Sherlock, but boy, I sure learned a lot about the vicious reception at home for Benedict's most recent project, The Child in Time.  People hated it.  Though I didn't read a single comment that said that *Ben* was bad.  (He is also called 'Beneduct' in the copy lol)

I have never quite been able to get used to Ben in his natural guise.  Normally I'm so fond of ginges, too.  As his natural red-headed self, BC seems younger and almost too angelic for this world.  He's adorable, but lacks the visual impact he makes as Sherl.  I think God ought to have made Ben a natural brunet.  The black hair really makes those Tessaract eyes pop.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As I’m not much of a film buff or tv watcher I’ve never seen Cumberbatch in anything other than Sherlock. I’d probably find it a bit weird. I’m the same with Brett and Rathbone. I’ve seen Brett in a couple of other things and he’s obviously a fine actor but I keep expecting him to break off from a line and shout “Mrs Hudson!”

Even with Rathbone, for example playing Guy Of Gisbourne In Robin Hood, I’m expecting him to instantly deduce where in Sherwood Forest Robin is hiding from the mud on Friar Tuck’s sandal.

I recall seeing Rathbone’s last but one movie ‘Hillbilly’s In A Haunted House.’ Avoid at all costs Hikari. It’s an appalling film. A pretty sad end to his career.

• Like 1

Since my earliest memories of Rathbone are of him in roles other than Holmes, I don't have too much trouble that way when I spot him in another role. But I know what you mean about Brett; everytime I see My Fair Lady, my brain goes "oh look, there's Sherlock Holmes!" :d

Cumberbatch is such a chameleon as an actor, though, that I don't have any trouble making the switch with him, either. As I think I've said before, if I weren't so aware of him from "Sherlock", I don't think I'd even realize it was the same actor in other roles.

• 1 year later...

Thought of starting a Series 5 Wish List thread, then discovered that we already have one that just needs the cobwebs dusted off.

One thing I really want to see is that John has reverted to his original hair style -- bit longer, bit shorter, parted left, parted right, I don't care, but The Swoop needs to go.  I like to think it was Mary's idea, and that he kept it for a while after her passing, out of respect for her memory.  But (as Sherlock pointed out in Great Game), John is basically a no-nonsense kinda guy regarding his hair, so I doubt that The Swoop would last very long without Mary's encouragement and/or styling assistance.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In a similar vein … my wish is for Ben to finally end up with a decent hairdo....

Let's see, what else do I wish for …

A return of The Coat. I missed it in TFP. 

The return of Nick Hurran.

Three more episodes.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Regarding Series 5 rumors, here's a snippet from this article -- which is otherwise the usual hodgepodge of conjecture and speculation, so I'd take the following with a grain or two of salt:

For those expecting “Sherlock" Season 5 to unfold in all its glory, watch out for the series to focus on Sherlock and his estranged sister Eurus Holmes (Sian Brooke). The season will show Holmes in a dark, mysterious light.

And regarding my personal Series 5 wish list:

Please, no!  Eurus was already the focus of Series 4.  She's a very strong character, and therefore should now be used sparingly, if at all.  I'd strongly prefer to see the show get back to Sherlock and John solving crimes together.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Regarding Series 5 rumors, here's a snippet from this article -- which is otherwise the usual hodgepodge of conjecture and speculation, so I'd take the following with a grain or two of salt:

And regarding my personal Series 5 wish list:

Please, no!  Eurus was already the focus of Series 4.  She's a very strong character, and therefore should now be used sparingly, if at all.  I'd strongly prefer to see the show get back to Sherlock and John solving crimes together.

Amen! 

I don't really want another series at all. I was so happy we finally had a good ending. 

Oh well. Nobody can force me to watch it (except my own curiosity). 

In hindsight, I would probably have been happier if they'd stopped after Reichenbach.  Yeah, lousy place to stop -- but at least we could have continued discussing how'd he do it, imagining all sorts of amazing feats in keeping with "there's a clue that everyone has missed."  And we'd have been spared the more annoying / disappointing parts of S3 & S4 (where each of us is of course thinking of different parts).

But under the circumstances, I'm willing to take a chance on watching S5, in hopes that Moftiss meant what I assumed they meant by (paraphrase) now Sherlock and John are ready to solve crimes together, like in the original stories.

17 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

^ I second that.

• Like 1

Personally, I was hoping Moftiss would finally see the error of their ways and focus on the women of Sherlock. Eurus Holmes and Dr. Hooper meet, are weirdly attracted to one another, move in to 221C Baker St. and start a crime-solving agency. Occasionally they recruit the aid of the boys upstairs, but mostly they just consult with Mrs. H and the ghost of Mary. Sally Donovan makes a guest appearance but doesn't really have much to do.....

• Haha 2
  • Tongue 1

• 1 year later...

Alas, that's looks like just the latest round of the blather that's been circulating ever since Series 4 ended.

I believe that everything in the article is literally true.  Each of the principals has indicated that the show could return eventually.  But there seems to be no reason for us to think it'll happen at any specific time, just -- eventually.

Of course, that doesn't mean the show won't return next year.   ;)

I'm curious about this sentence, though:

If luck favors, it will return in 2022 with the main stars and their two co-stars.

I assume we all know who the "main stars" are -- but who are the two co-stars?  (I would think there are more than that!)

You know the feeling that you have to do some things, and if they are not done, the burden stays in your head, but instead of doing them, you do something else like browsing the internet or play little game to calm your nerves or delay the inevitable? But eventually it has to be done Moffiss!

8 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

who the "main stars" are -- but who are the two co-stars? 

Mycroft would be my best bet, but if Gatiss returns, there is no reason Mycroft won't be there. So not Mycroft.

Molly and Lestrade??!!

Because after all, Mrs.Hudson is just another plot device, she would be there!

• Like 1
  • Tongue 1

1 hour ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

You know the feeling that you have to do some things, and if they are not done, the burden stays in your head, but instead of doing them, you do something else like browsing the internet or play little game to calm your nerves or delay the inevitable?

You mean I'm not the only one who does that?!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 1:46 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

You know the feeling that you have to do some things, and if they are not done, the burden stays in your head, but instead of doing them, you do something else like browsing the internet or play little game to calm your nerves or delay the inevitable?

Crud. That's exactly what I'm doing right now. I'm avoiding making phone calls. I HATE making phone calls. I mean, really really hate. But now I've been outed, and have to go do it. Drat.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2