Series 5 Rumors, Speculation, and Wish Lists

Ozgood

6 hours ago, SherlockandKey said:

Given what I know about this supposed feud, I'd say it's unlikely that Sherlock remains cancelled simply because Freeman and Cumberbatch aren't on speaking terms.

Right.  There's no evidence that they aren't on speaking terms, just some unsupported tabloid claims.  And the show hasn't actually been cancelled -- it's simply never been authorized by the BBC for more than one series at a time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SherlockandKey said:

I mean after 5 years, I really don't think we're being unrealistic by saying it's been cancelled.

It can always come back, but so could any show.

You're making a reasonable point, and I'm not disagreeing with it.

However there's a technical difference.  In the US (and perhaps sometimes in the UK?), once a show is bought by a network, it typically stays on the air until the network decides (for whatever reason) that they don't want it any more, at which point the network officially cancels it.

This has never happened with Sherlock.  The BBC has been authorizing the production of Sherlock just three episodes at a time.  Each time Moffat and Gatiss decided they'd like to do another three, they asked the BBC if they were interested (which so far they always have been).  But since season 4 aired, Moffat and Gatiss have been off doing other things.  (I suspect they needed a change of pace.)  If/when they're once more visited by the inspiration fairy, they'll presumably run their idea past the BBC, which will presumably be interested, at which point M&G will need to get all their ducks in a row again.

So the situation with Sherlock is more like an American production company (rather than the network) deciding (as does happen now and then) that they'd like to stop doing their popular show, at least for now -- and then perhaps after a few years seeing if the network would be interested in a followup TV movie every so often.  There's no cancellation involved, because cancellation means that the network made the decision.

I realize it may seem like I'm being picky, but based on what I've read, cancellation is a whole lot more painful for the producers, cast, and crew.  It's like getting fired vs retiring.

It's a matter of who's making the decisions -- the network or the producers.  If the network cancels a show, it's finished for good.  But if the producers decide to put a popular show on hiatus for a while, they stand a good chance of being allowed to bring it back if/when they're ready to do so.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, SherlockandKey said:

Cancellation does not always mean that a show is done for good.

True.  Star Trek seems to be alive and well, fifty-some years after being cancelled by NBC.

And if Moffat and Gatiss eventually decide they'd like to bring Sherlock out of hiatus, chances seem good that the BBC would agree to foot the bill.

• 2 months later...

Yes, presumably somebody would pick it up.

Though I personally hope it wouldn't be a subscription and/or streaming service, since a] we're cheapskates and b] our internet service isn't quite fast enough to do those justice.  So in that case we'd probably just wait till the DVD came out -- if it ever did.  (Come to think of it, that's another nice thing about the BBC -- I've never had any trouble getting any of their shows on DVD, whereas I'm still hoping that Netflix will eventually make Enola Holmes available.)

2 hours ago, SherlockandKey said:

You might have better luck with Blu-Ray.

Thanks, I do need to remember to check for both.

11 minutes ago, SherlockandKey said:

Apparently VHS tapes might also be mounting some sort of comeback.

Them and phonograph records, yeah.  But even though I'm seeing each of those media offered for sale more than they were for a while, I have the impression that their current popularity is mostly with purists.  So even though I wouldn't be surprised to see the release of a newly remastered film classic on VHS, I doubt that a new commercial movie will be released as anything other than DVD, Blu-ray, or whatever comes next.

• 4 weeks later...

Surely if a show is cancelled it’s done for reasons of poor viewing figures which certainly wasn’t the case with Sherlock? If the BBC decided for some reason that they wanted no more to do with the series, but Moftiss said that they were ready to do another one, then companies like Netflix would be falling over themselves to take it off the BBC’s hands. 

I don't know if there is any I’ll feeling between the cast members (Cumberbatch and Freeman) but I tend to think it’s simply a case of them both now being actors with a capital ‘A.’ Perhaps they now view Sherlock as a bit of a soap opera (their humble beginnings?) which they are now too big to appear in? Or maybe they both have a bit of Basil Rathbone syndrome (they don’t want to risk being mainly viewed as Sherlock and John?)

Another series could still be a possibility of course but the death of Una Stubbs does leave a huge gap even though her role wasn’t a large one in terms of screen time. Also Mary’s death robs the programme of a strong character (I did like Mary) and we surely couldn’t hope for a another back-from-the-dead scenario? Moftiss made another series trickier with the addition of the baby though. To be honest I’m a little foggy on how the last series ended because I haven’t re-watched it but does the arrival of a baby hint at no plans for more episodes? I don’t know.

So we have no real hints on the likelihood of another series but I seemed to recall one of them (or both) hinting at the possibility of a one-off? I’m perhaps a little surprised that they haven’t considered a movie? Either way we have a dearth of Sherlock and Sherlock Holmes. Apart from the next RJD movie I know of nothing on the horizon. I’ve only seen the first 4 series of Elementary so I guess that I could catch up on that and I’ve watched all of House. So all that I have to look forward to (and I’ll be alone in this one😀) is the eventual issue of the Eille Norwood silent movies which are being remastered at long last. 

Im off to London in 2 weeks time but it’s all quiet in Baker Street at the moment and for the foreseeable future sadly. You never really know though.🤞

Edited by HerlockSholmes
Changed a word

5 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

Surely if a show is cancelled it’s done for reasons of poor viewing figures which certainly wasn’t the case with Sherlock? If the BBC decided for some reason that they wanted no more to do with the series, but Moftiss said that they were ready to do another one, then companies like Netflix would be falling over themselves to take it off the BBC’s hands.

That all sounds accurate to me, Herlock.  Though I sure hope it doesn't go to Netflix, because Alex and I would have a heck of a time trying to watch it (with our medium-speed internet service), plus Netflix doesn't always make DVDs available, and we'd want "hard copy" to keep, even if we were able to watch it on streaming.

I don't know if there is any I’ll feeling between the cast members (Cumberbatch and Freeman) but I tend to think it’s simply a case of them both now being actors with a capital ‘A.’

Back in the day, the tabloids made them out to have been best buddies, and more recently the tabloids have claimed that there's some sort of bad blood between them, but I've seen absolutely no evidence of either situation.  I did see one interview where the reporter blatantly misquoted one of them to the other, who apparently took the misquote at face value and responded a bit testily, but that's surely been cleared up by now, perhaps by a friend to had read both the original quote and the response to the misquote.

maybe they both have a bit of Basil Rathbone syndrome (they don’t want to risk being mainly viewed as Sherlock and John?)

Freeman has frequently said that he likes a good bit of variety in his work.  But he's also said he might be willing to do more Sherlock every now and then.

does the arrival of a baby hint at no plans for more episodes? I don’t know.

The only hint along those lines that I can think of is the title of the most recent episode, "The Final Problem" -- but of course Moftiss are well aware that ACD was persuaded to come back after using that title!

So we have no real hints on the likelihood of another series but I seemed to recall one of them (or both) hinting at the possibility of a one-off?

There have been some rather vague comments from Moftiss regarding the possibility of another something (don't recall that they were terribly specific).  And yes, one or both actors have said they might do another "special" -- though they appeared to be speaking only for themselves, rather than quoting Moftiss.

I’m perhaps a little surprised that they haven’t considered a movie?

I kinda hope they don't.  I don't think Moftiss or Hartswood or the BBC have much if any experience doing theatrical movies, so they'd presumably need to get a movie studio into the mix, and the studio would probably want to "improve" things.

Im off to London in 2 weeks time

Could you swing by 187 North Gower Street and see if Speedy's is still there and if Chris still owns it?  About a year ago he said the business was for sale but they were not closing -- last time I checked there didn't seem to have been any updates.  If you can go there in the morning or very early afternoon (i.e., when they're open, not on Sundays), you could grab a bite and maybe ask someone for the latest news.

I can try and get to Gower Street Carol but I’ll be with someone and we have a bit of an itinerary so I can’t be sure. The last time that I was there I grabbed a cup of coffee and sat outside. It was funny to see someone have to say “excuse me, can I get to my door please,” because people were having their photos took in front of the door. 

1 hour ago, HerlockSholmes said:

It was funny to see someone have to say “excuse me, can I get to my door please,” because people were having their photos took in front of the door. 

Oh, for sure!  When we were there, people were apparently coming from all over the world (e.g., Indiana!) to have their picture taken at Sherlock's front door.

1 hour ago, HerlockSholmes said:

I can try and get to Gower Street Carol but I’ll be with someone and we have a bit of an itinerary so I can’t be sure.

Understandable.  And good luck!  (I guess you already know that it's actually North Gower Street?)