PhotoBucket news

*sigh*  Sorry to be such a noob, but my screen doesn't have that row of buttons, and nothing I've clicked on so far seems to make any difference.  (And the help page shows the same sort of screen that you posted.)  Here's what I've got:

Z16d53fh.jpg

What am I doing wrong?

No sorries, it takes me awhile to figure stuff like this out, lol.

It almost looks like you have an older version of the website, which is a bit strange.  Have you cleared your browser's cache recently?  I don't know if that would help at all.

I notice that the address in your address bar is formatted differently than mine.  Mine looks like this: https://app.photobucket.com/u/Username.  I wonder if you plugged in your username, would it take you to the newer version of your bucket?

The last time I tried to download my photos (ages ago), the download option was hidden in my account settings somewhere.  Have you poked around in there?

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions, Artemis!  I finally got around to trying some things, and apparently either A} I had logged in on some miscellaneous page last time or B} it really was their old website (I just got email notification of their new design today -- which is at least a nice change of pace from their frequent "nyah-nyah, we took hosting away from you" emails, even though I'm still paid up).

So anyhow, I have that down-arrow button now.  :D   But when I click on it, absolutely nothing seems to happen.  Doesn't it ask some questions first, like which albums do you want to download, or where do you want the pictures put?  Or display a bar graph or a whirlygig or anything to indicate that it really is downloading?

Is the arrow greyed out, or is it black?  You have to select the albums you want to download (the big boxes with icons of your photos in them on your main page) before clicking the arrow.  If you’ve done it right, the albums should be outlined in blue, and a ‘deselect’ option will also appear in the toolbar.

There is virtually no indication that the download is happening.  I actually can’t remember anymore whether nothing happened, or whether the arrow turned into a spinning circle.  It was one of the two.  But either way, it’ll be hard to tell that anything is happening while it “prepares” your download, which takes a good long while.  Once it is “prepared”, it will ask you where on your computer you want the photos stored, and the rest should happen fairly quickly.

• Thanks 1

Thanks.  It's possible that I confused it by clicking the downarrow again after waiting only a few minutes.  I can't say for sure whether they think the downarrow is gray or black -- it looks like dark gray to me (but some of their buttons do look a bit paler).

Anyhow, I have now selected an album, which contains some four hundred photos, and will wait patiently for a reasonable length of time.  You said it took 30 or 40 minutes for it to set up your 6,000 photos, so surely my 400 would take no longer than that.  (Hopefully it won't mind if I mess around in another window meanwhile.)  If still nothing, I will try closing that window, then restart the computer, reload Photobucket, and see if that helps any.

Added:  Well, it's been an hour.  Onward to Plan B.

2 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I can't say for sure whether they think the downarrow is gray or black -- it looks like dark gray to me (but some of their buttons do look a bit paler).

Colors look different on different monitors, but to clarify, if you look at this picture again:

4d1c0fe71ee5dc023bc7814b7ede6c12d43c5d13

The download arrow is "black" (or dark gray, what have you), but the pencil icon is greyed out, so you can't click on it.  Or for another example, the trash can icon is black, but the icon next to it with the # mark is greyed.

It's possible that I confused it by clicking the downarrow again after waiting only a few minutes.

You probably did.  I made that mistake the first time too.

Did you see a spinning circle after you pressed the download arrow, or was there nothing?  I just logged in to test it again, and once I press the download button, the arrow changes to a spinning gray circle.

You said it took 30 or 40 minutes for it to set up your 6,000 photos, so surely my 400 would take no longer than that.  (Hopefully it won't mind if I mess around in another window meanwhile.)

You would think so, but it depends on how fast your computer is, and I didn't have any other programs open or running, I just let it sit there and load.  Most of my photos are quite small in size as well, so if you have larger photos with more KB/MB that would make a difference.  I think an hour is a reasonable amount of time, but even so I'd give it more time if I were you.

12 hours ago, Artemis said:

Did you see a spinning circle after you pressed the download arrow, or was there nothing?  I just logged in to test it again, and once I press the download button, the arrow changes to a spinning gray circle.

Nope, nothing like that happened any of the times that I tried, even though the downarrow did look darker than some of the other icons.  Last time I tried yesterday, I couldn't even log in.  Think I'll try restarting my computer later and see if it becomes more cooperative.

Do you know of any way to download all my photos in one pass, or does it need to be one album at a time?  I have only one album as such, but some photos are still in my downloads or my bucket.  I'm not even sure how many I have in total, because the figures don't seem to add up:

4 in mobile uploads
22 in bucket
401 in UK trip
and 216 "used" (when I click on my avatar "C")

5 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Do you know of any way to download all my photos in one pass, or does it need to be one album at a time?

You can download all your photos at once by selecting all your albums and photos before you click “download”.  It’s hard for me to show you without seeing your bucket, but basically just select everything.

I hope a restart sorts things out!

• Thanks 1

Just got up my courage to try again, and cannot log in.  Again.

However, I did find that I can look at my account regardless, and can copy the photos (one by one) onto my computer.  So, considering that logging in seems to be a hit-or-miss proposition nowadays, I may just do it that way.  If I can copy a dozen or two every day, I should be able to finish in about a month.  (Just call it "How I Spent My Summer Vacation.")  I'll put 'em in a special folder, and I'll also keep trying to log in, in which case I may eventually be able to use the auto feature (miracles do happen).

One advantage of the individual method is that I can name the photos as I go along (using the captions from Photobucket), rather than letting it use its own rather uninformative file names.  That would make it easier to figure out which photo goes where for forum hotlinks (once I get the photos re-copied onto Imgur, that is).

Note that my "paid membership," which was said to include hotlinking, is still supposedly in effect, for all the good that it's done me.

On 3/26/2020 at 10:29 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Of course they might extend my current rate of $19.99/year, but I haven't smoked that stuff in ages!

Well, the good news is that they did -- just charged it to my credit card without even notifying me this time.  And my photos are no longer watermarked -- because they now look like this:

On 4/3/2020 at 1:03 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

DSCN7287_zps78d46e0b.jpg

Just in case they decide to change tactics again in the near future, that's a small box saying "Sorry.  This image is currently Unavailable" with a small Photobucket logo at the bottom.

I still can't log in.  And I can't seem to get at my account without logging in, like I did the other day -- maybe I should have bookmarked that URL, though for all I know that wouldn't work now either.  I even tried logging in via Edge, with the same results.

The $19.99 is still a pending charge at the moment, so we could tell the credit card company to reject it.  But for all I know PB would take that as an excuse to cancel my account altogether, and I haven't (quite) given up hope completely.

Unless somebody has another idea, I guess I'll just keep trying to log in, hoping that the auto-download will eventually work.

How long do you have to contest a charge with the cc company? You could save the photos now then contest later, just saying. :wink:

It's not exactly a matter of contesting the charge, more like nipping it in the bud.  That opportunity typically lasts a day or two or so, depending on something or other.

If I could save the photos now, I certainly would, but at the moment I can't even get logged in.  I clicked the "forgot my password" option in order to see if resetting it might help, but so far there's no email from them.  I also tried logging in on a different computer, in case my usual computer was the problem, but nope, same results -- at least, when I actually get any results.

I may try emailing them for suggestions, but to be frank I'm not optimistic that they'd be much help.

Remember when using the internet was a straightforward matter, even with a dial-up connection?  Gahhh!

Wish I could be of help.  :bemused:  I tried visiting your account just to see what I could see, and yep, all your photos appear as the dread blank boxes of “Sorry, this image is currently unavailable”.  Haven’t a clue what’s going on there.  I don’t pay anything for my account, and I haven’t had this problem (yet).  I feel like there must be some sort of glitch with your account specifically.  How to resolve it though, I do not know.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Artemis said:

I tried visiting your account just to see what I could see, and yep, all your photos appear as the dread blank boxes of “Sorry, this image is currently unavailable”.

Oh dear -- I assumed I simply wasn't looking in the right place.  After all, the forum now shows your photos as those boxes, just like mine:

On 5/28/2019 at 11:40 PM, Artemis said:

fallroad-1.jpg

Or do you still see the photo there (or in your actual post)?  (I do not, just the box.)

Could you either post or PM me the address of your account?  (I assume that's public knowledge anyhow, since you've been hotlinking from it.)

6 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

After all, the forum now shows your photos as those boxes, just like mine:  [...]  Or do you still see the photo there (or in your actual post)?  (I do not, just the box.)

I can see my own photo(s).  Just not yours.  :bemused:

6 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Could you either post or PM me the address of your account?  (I assume that's public knowledge anyhow, since you've been hotlinking from it.)

I'd PM it to you, but I don't think it would help you much.  My account is a private account, so you wouldn't be able to see anything for comparison.  (I once had someone stalk me by finding and hacking my Photobucket for my real identity, so I try to keep it more or less hidden now.  I only hotlinked this one photo for scientific purposes, because I'm so nice.  :P  It's easy enough to find my username from the photo, which now gives me the shivers a bit.)

Curiouser and curiouser!  I can see your photo now.  But mine is still just a box.

Think I'll go to bed.  Maybe this is all a weird dream, and when I wake up everything will be back to normal.

• 3 weeks later...

Good heavens, this just keeps getting weirder!  Now I can not only see Artemis's photo that I reposted on May 21st (with watermark), I can also see my own from earlier that day (with NO watermark).  Certainly not complaining about that, since they did recently charge me for another year's basic membership, but I do wish I could get their website to work reliably.

I was once more having trouble logging in, so I claimed not to know my password, and they claimed to have sent me an email that would allow me to reset it -- but the email never arrived, even though I tried several times, and even though they're fully capable of sending me "nyah-nyah!" emails on a frequent basis (e.g., "Your Account No Longer Includes Hosting").  It finally occurred to me to claim I'd forgotten my user name, and that time I did get an email.  It also included a link to reset my password, so I used that to "change" my password to the same thing I'd specified the last time I actually changed it.  As far as I know, I changed nothing, but I was then able to log in -- but got the same no-download-button page that I posted here on April 17th.

But then a new screen popped up, suggesting that I switch to their new website (and apparently not giving me much choice), so what the heck, I clicked that, and got the toolbar that Artemis had posted earlier on the 17th.  So -- I selected an album and clicked download, and for the first time EVER, I got the whirly circle.  But after just a couple of minutes, a little black strip popped up at the bottom of the screen, saying something to the effect that the process had failed and I should try again later.  I didn't actually see that message till the third time I tried, because it stays up for only a few seconds (which is crazy, since a person is likely to start the download and then walk away to do something else in the meantime).  That was last night, and I tried a few more times today with similar results.

Oh well, I guess it's progress....   :bemused:

Now I'm back to can't log in.  @Artemis -- what all do you need to do in order to log into your PB account?  The only two boxes I see are user name or email address and password, and I've filled those in very carefully (and have tried both options for the first box).  But then when I click the button, it says "invalid captcha."  Does that mean I was supposed to identify some alphanumerical characters or take one of those photo quizzes (neither of which I'm seeing) or does it simply mean that PB has the captcha company handling their logins?  All I see below the two login boxes is a news video (which I halted but can't seem to close).

You mentioned the other day that you'd had a look at my account, so I guess you already know that my user name is Carol_the_Dabbler -- anyhow, could you go to my account again and send me the URL?  Also, if you now see photos there, what is the image-file type?

Because I couldn't log in just now, and because my pictures are once more showing very nicely on the forum, I decided to try saving individual photos from my North Gower thread -- but the only file type that my Save Image As software seems to offer in this case is Firefox HTML, which seems a tad too specific to be generally useful.  Funny (not!) thing is, I've recently saved a few other photos by copying from the forum, including your autumn photo, and all but one of those are JPG's.  I'm wondering if maybe the recent transition of my photos from little boxes to actual photos was accompanied by a change in file type.  Gnarrrff!!!

• Sad 1

Yikes Carol, what a mess!

When I log in, all I need is my username (or email) and password.  I wasn't asked for a captcha verification.

On 6/12/2020 at 8:55 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

You mentioned the other day that you'd had a look at my account, so I guess you already know that my user name is Carol_the_Dabbler -- anyhow, could you go to my account again and send me the URL?  Also, if you now see photos there, what is the image-file type?

This is the URL for your account: https://app.photobucket.com/u/Carol_the_Dabbler.

I can see your photos.  I tried saving two of them, one from your Mobile album and one from your UK album.  Both file types were .jpg, but when I tried to save them to my computer, they saved as the dreaded .webp.

• Confused 1

Thanks, Artemis!  Since I can't seem to log in anyhow at the moment, I'll see what my account looks like to a "stranger."  Not tonight, though!

18 hours ago, Artemis said:

Both file types were .jpg, but when I tried to save them to my computer, they saved as the dreaded .webp.

Thanks for that URL.  I selected one photo (by double-clicking it), then right-clicked to get its info -- and the type was already webp.  I'm beginning to think it'd be easier in the long run to just hunt through the thousands of photos on my computer, looking for the ones I've posted here.  *sigh*  The great bulk of those are from our 2013 UK trip, which are all in the same folder, neatly labelled "UK 2013".  Several of the others are in my "phone pix" folder.  So it might not take a horribly long time.  :(

• 7 months later...
On 6/12/2020 at 11:42 PM, Artemis said:

I tried saving two of them, one from your Mobile album and one from your UK album.  Both file types were .jpg, but when I tried to save them to my computer, they saved as the dreaded .webp.

I've tried a few things today, with no real success.  I tried to "save image as" from a forum page, with the same results that you report (jpg >>> webp).  And it appears that Imgur has never heard of webp, so that's no help whatsoever.

Then I tried downloading from PB to my computer.  This time I got the whirly circle, so I was somewhat hopeful.  But even though I had selected an album, what I ended up with in my folder was a compressed file that my system couldn't open (which does NOT sound like jpg).  I deleted it.

Phooey.

• Sad 1

It would horribly affect the resolutions, but if you only need them for quick looking (since you mentioned you have the original as well), why don't you screenshot it and save the pictures as jpeg?

I have only read a couple of latest posts so sorry if I misunderstood. I just hope that you have already stopped paying for that thing Carol, because otherwise what else do they need to do before you lose faith in them..

17 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

It would horribly affect the resolutions, but if you only need them for quick looking (since you mentioned you have the original as well), why don't you screenshot it and save the pictures as jpeg?

Y'know, that's not a bad idea!  I could 1) give the screenshot JPGs meaningful names (like "NGower001") that would tell me where they belong in which thread, and those pictures should be quite adequate to serve as references for 2) finding the right full-resolution photos on my computer and copying them into new folders on my computer with similarly meaningful names.  Then I could 3) copy those photos to my Imgur account and re-do the forum hotlinks accordingly.  (And if Imgur starts messing with me, I'm all set to do just that third part with a new hosting site, rather than re-doing the whoooole thing.)

17 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I have only read a couple of latest posts so sorry if I misunderstood. I just hope that you have already stopped paying for that thing Carol, because otherwise what else do they need to do before you lose faith in them..

They charge the annual fee to my credit card every May 20th.  I need to check and see if the card number they have is still valid, and if so I'll apparently need to cancel the account if I want to avoid paying again.  But if the card is the one that got hacked and replaced recently, I'll just wait and see what happens.  So most of my forum photos may disappear on or any time after May 20th.  Or not -- Artemis never has paid them a thing, and her photos are still visible (give or take a watermark).

On 1/25/2021 at 12:26 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

I tried to "save image as" from a forum page, with the same results that you report (jpg >>> webp).  And it appears that Imgur has never heard of webp, so that's no help whatsoever.

Something else you could try: When you "Save Image As", change "Save as type" from "WebP Image" to "All Files", and then at the end of the "File name", change the ".webp" to ".jpg".  I was able to successfully save your images that way.