New member here

Hi all.

I just joined today. I've been a Sherlock Holmes fan for over 30 years. I collect books on Doyle/Holmes and I'm also on a quest (cash permitting) to get all the movies/tv series on DVD and radio shows on cd so I have a fair size collection which even includes silent movies.

As a bit of a traditionalist I was wary when Sherlock came out but I loved it immediately and still do. I hope that they get around to doing more but I know that Mark Gatiss and Stephen Moffatt are working on a version of Dracula( though I'm unsure if it's set in modern times like Sherlock) at the moment.

I'd say that Cumberbatch is my 3rd favourite Holmes (it changes.) It currently goes:

1. Brett - absolutely perfect/unbeatable.

2. Rathbone -

3. Cumberbatch - a high placing for a traditionalist like myself.

4. Cushing

5. Wilmer

6. Wontner

Favourite movies are the Rathbone/Bruce Hound Of The Baskervilles and Mark Gatiss' favourite The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes.

I recently visited Southsea to see a Holmes/Doyle collection and to see the blue plaque on the site where Doyle set up his praction.

Yup I'm a bit of a Holmes/Doyle nerd! Maybe a bit old to be considered a nerd?!

That's about all.

Thanks.

• Like 3

Welcome Herlock.

You are Sherlock fan since long time ago.

Why are you be this site's member previously?

Nice to meet you.

Hi Herlock,

There is no such thing as being too old to be something or to do something. My back would disagree, but why would I listen to it right??? Frog jumping is perfect for my age!

I am a nerd as well, and quite old. But I'm more like regular nerd for anything useless. So you win :p.

Welcome!

Welcome Herlock.

You are Sherlock fan since long time ago.

Why are you be this site's member previously?

Nice to meet you.

Hi Doe,

Thanks for the greeting.

To be honest I don't know why. I just never really considered doing it. I joined 2 Forums about Jack The Ripper (the other subject that I've been interested in for 30 years) recently so this gave me the idea to look for a Sherlock Holmes Forum to join. And so here I am.

• Like 2

Hi Herlock,

There is no such thing as being too old to be something or to do something. My back would disagree, but why would I listen to it right??? Frog jumping is perfect for my age!

I am a nerd as well, and quite old. But I'm more like regular nerd for anything useless. So you win :p.

Welcome!

Hi Van,

Thanks for the welcome. I'm going to be tested out very soon as I'm off to London for an 11 day break which will involved a lot of London Walks (including 2 Sherlock Holmes ones.) My own fault for being so unfit!

I need to go for a lie down now after the exertion of typing this reply.

Thanks again for the welcome

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

See, no taker! Nyah nyah nyah :tongue:

I'll let you see the frog jumping if you promise to help me glue back the scattered kneecaps.

Hey Herlock, do document your London sherlocky trip and share with us! I'd love to read about it.

London is probably in the my very low list of place to visit, so most probably I'll never see all the Sherlock's references myself. But Switzerland is quite high, at least I would like to see a setting of a detective and professor's cat fight. I can't help imagining them laughing, helping each other, sharing energy bar during the trek. :p

• Like 2

Wanna bet? :D

Glueing shattered kneecaps ... do I get to choose the pattern? That sounds like something that would fit in with my latest art project.

Which is this, by the way, and yes, it's a really long story, and no, it's not Smaug.......

JNpyIUU.jpg

• Like 2

But those are his baby scales -- you know, like how young humans often have different color hair than when they grow up.

Hi admp123. Be careful with Arcadia, her favourite food is the green (radioactive) blob! :P

Are you describing yourself again, Shadow? :P

No, that's your reflection in the mirror. :P

• Like 2

Makes me wonder -- what's the difference between a shadow and a reflection?

Makes me wonder -- what's the difference between a shadow and a reflection?

Dark and light, one is where I prefers to spend time in summer and the second is something that just informed our new friend about Arcadia's eating habit.

• 1 month later...

View Halloa to the Sherlock Forum!

I have been an avid follower of BBC Sherlock since its inception in 2010 (though we didn't get it until 2011 on my side of the Pond.)  I consider myself to be the #1 Cumber . . .cookie in the United States of America and plan to retain that title even though he had to go and get himself married to somebody else.  As far as I'm concerned *Sherlock* is still single, and the Friends of Mary Russell can put *that* in their calabashes and smoke it.

I come here as a refugee from the now-defunct Amazon Discussion forums, where we enjoyed our own cosy  Detectives lounge for a number of years.  It was there that I exercised (exorcised?) my Sherlock BBC mojo and made some dear cyber-friends who also thought it was one of the Greatest Things on Television Ever (at least until Season 3, when it became Still Above Average.)  TPB at Amazon have stripped their site of any and all features that did not contribute directly to the free market economy by generating sales and forcibly retired all of their forums, forcing me out likewise onto the cold cyberpavements in search of a new cyber-home.  I wish I would have discovered this site back in 2012 and my eviction wouldn't have stung nearly as much.

With the end of the BBC show seemingly upon us, I decided it was time to become a true, legitimate Grown-Up Sherlockian and search further afield for my Sherlock fix.  Since earlier this year, I have read the entire Conan Doyle canon (okay, I confess that I bailed on 'The Valley of Fear', and a couple of the later stories which were excreble, but I have read the rest of it), and, still hungry, I have amassed a pretty sizeable collection of Holmes pastiches for someone who's only been at this for 7 or 8 months.  I have loved Sherlock Holmes as a character since my first encounter with the Great Detective (HOUND and selected stories from the Adventures) in my middle school library, now too many years ago to be comfortable mentioning.  I've nursed a crush on him for years before the world had ever heard of Benedict Cumberbatch . .but now I feel like I really *know* Sherlock Holmes.  There's always more to learn, and my deerstalker is off in awe of the multitudes of very talented people, past and present, who labor to keep the Great Detective and his eternal sidekick alive for our enjoyment in the 21st century (and far beyond, one feels certain.)

When I'm not reading or watching something to do with Sherlock Holmes, I never stray very far from my go-to genre of crime thrillers.  I am a particular nerd for British mysteries in print and onscreen, and my book collection is only surpassed by my DVD collection.  I also read widely in Scandinavian crime and am a collector of anything having to do with Japan.  The Japanese turn out some very compelling crime fiction.

Being the Stormy Petrel of Crime is my secret superhero identity.  By day (and some evenings and Saturdays, as contractually required) I work as a children's librarian.  It probably wouldn't surprise many of you to know that the Great Detective can be found in many guises in various children's books, and I don't just mean abridged versions of Conan Doyle.  Never too early to suck in the next generation of Baker Street Irregulars.

Thanks for the warm welcome I have so far received and I look forward to conversing with many of you!

• Like 2

EXCREBLE !!!! Doyle didn’t write any excreble Holmes stories! I nearly choked on my Vape-pipe! He did, however, write a few that weren’t as good as others.

I have been an avid follower of BBC Sherlock since its inception in 2010 (though we didn't get it until 2011 on my side of the Pond.)

Assuming that you mean this side of the Pond I'm thinking of, Series 1 (alias Season 1) first aired on PBS in late October / early November of 2010.  My husband and I just happened to be sitting in front of a friend's television when "Study in Pink" came on, and all three of us were instantly enthralled.

... made some dear cyber-friends who also thought it was one of the Greatest Things on Television Ever (at least until Season 3, when it became Still Above Average.

A fair analysis, I think.  (Dare I ask how they categorized Series 4?)

Since earlier this year, I have read the entire Conan Doyle canon (okay, I confess that I bailed on 'The Valley of Fear', and a couple of the later stories which were excreble, but I have read the rest of it)

Odd -- I thought Valley of Fear was pretty good.  Parts of it even took me by surprise (unlike other parts of it).  In my opinion, if you made it through the Interminable Back Story in the middle of Study in Scarlet, you can handle anything Conan Doyle throws at you.

I work as a children's librarian.  It probably wouldn't surprise many of you to know that the Great Detective can be found in many guises in various children's books, and I don't just mean abridged versions of Conan Doyle.

Also odd.  I've known, I think, three childrens' librarians in real life.  Two of them were ardent Star Trek fans  (the kind who make their own Starfleet uniforms), and the other is very fond of Sherlock (albeit not what I'd call a fan).

I look forward to conversing with many of you!

And what about the rest of us?  :P

Hi, Carol,

I believe you count as one of the ones I'm conversing with so I wouldn't worry about the others!  I don't plan to ignore anybody, but I accept that some are likely to ignore me. 

By 'how odd', do you mean 'how odd you're a children's librarian' or 'how odd that you're the fourth children's librarian I know?'  I never set out to be a children's librarian--my plan was always to be a university literature professor but, you know, life happens and you need a port in a storm.  This is my port.  It pays the bills, though in all honesty, I'm bored.  I used to work with teens and that was a bit more engaging for someone who trained as a secondary English teacher--but my duties got reassigned and now I do a lot of preschool programming.  It's a bit challenging to be an intellectual tasked with running toddler playgroup, but I deal.

I enjoy Star Trek but I wouldn't call myself a Trekker.  Mostly I enjoy ST on account of the similarities I find to Holmes & Watson in the pair of Kirk & Spock.