Technophobe needs help.

HerlockSholmes

Hi,

I just tried uploading a picture to my profile but it said file too large. I'm a complete caveman when it comes to technology and have no way of reducing the size. I wouldn't even know how to do it. Computer talk is a foreign language to me. I had the same issue on the Jack The Ripper Forum which I'm a member of. The administrator got me to send the picture as an email attachment and he added it to my profile. Is there any way that could be done here please.

Thanks

Hi there HerlockS, :smile: look for a private message from me (should be somewhere in the upper right corner of your screen.)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

A question?

On my (whatever it’s called when you click on your avatar; homepage?) there’s a green rectangle that says 194 excellent. What does that mean? Just curious.

Also, if it shows up when you visit someone’s homepage, I apologise to anyone who might think that I’m a stalker

• Like 1

A question?

On my (whatever it’s called when you click on your avatar; homepage?) there’s a green rectangle that says 194 excellent. What does that mean? Just curious.

Also, if it shows up when you visit someone’s homepage, I apologise to anyone who might think that I’m a stalker

• Like 1

I sometimes worry that I over-"like"... but I really like what you guys have to say!

On my (whatever it’s called when you click on your avatar; homepage?)

Profile. :smile:

• Like 3

• Like 1

• Like 1

... if it shows up when you visit someone’s homepage, I apologise to anyone who might think that I’m a stalker

• Like 2

... if it shows up when you visit someone’s homepage, I apologise to anyone who might think that I’m a stalker This is mainly Carol. I have a habit of clicking the name instead of the message and so if I appear to have ‘visited’ too often it’s an error on my arm.

Well, shoot! And here I thought we had a special something!

*snrk* Does Alex know?

*snrk* Does Alex know?

Hope not

Does it fall under the category of we met twice for a total of 5 minutes, he tried to blow me up, I thought we had a special something. Or however Sherlock says it in TRF.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, anybody who can answer this--

When quoting a preceding post, how do I quote just a portion rather than reproducing the entire post I'm quoting from?  Sometimes I just want to copy a sentence, but I don't know how to do this.  Thanks!

Hey, anybody who can answer this--

When quoting a preceding post, how do I quote just a portion rather than reproducing the entire post I'm quoting from? Sometimes I just want to copy a sentence, but I don't know how to do this. Thanks!

You should be able to edit the quote. It's no different from the other text in your posts except that the software puts it in a quote box.

• Like 1

Tobe is right.  I've found that I generally need to do some odd things to make it work, but most people say it works very straightforwardly for them.  I would suggest that you give it a try and see how it works.  If you hit any snags, come back here and tell us what you did and how it turned out.  We'll probably be able to help you.

Alternatively, especially if you want to quote only part of a much, much longer post (and don't care to mess with all that deleting), you can do a regular copy-and-paste and add the BBCode by hand, like this:

[quote]The actual quotation[/quote]

^ Only issue there is that it won't show who you're quoting from or the timestamp, and the person you're quoting won't be notified of your response (if they have their notifications set to). But that's not necessarily important. I just think it's easier to follow a conversation if you can see who said what without digging. I always try to directly quote someone even though copy/pasting into the code would be much easier and faster, especially on my mobile devices.

• Like 1

^ Only issue there is that it won't show who you're quoting from or the timestamp

Can't help with the timestamp, but you can put the name with this code

[ quote name="Artemis" ] content [ /quote ]

Without space.

It's more work but I also like to quote with names.

and the person you're quoting won't be notified of your response (if they have their notifications set to).

I think I have disabled my settings because it never worked for me anyway. The only way I know when someone quote me is to see the actual posts.

I also unsubscribe from threads because it stopped notifying me back then.

Not sure if the notifications work properly now.

• Like 2

You're both right, the notifications didn't work for a while, but they're fine now.

And of course you're also right that using the Quote buttons is the only sure way to send a quote notification. I have no idea whether putting the name in manually will do it or not -- I use that method mostly for quoting sources from outside the forum, e.g., Wikipedia or Steven Moffat.

• Like 1

I turned on my quote and it actually works now, although I don't think it's not efficient for email notification because there are hours of delay. And I only got one notification in email, but when I logged in, I had the notifications. At least it works.

Artemis, Toby, Carol, I try to quote you here but using shortcut version, just want to see if it works/you get the notification also.

Hello from Moriarty

Hello from Sherly

Hello from John

I suspect they don't.

I turned on my quote and it actually works now, although I don't think it's not efficient for email notification because there are hours of delay. And I only got one notification in email, but when I logged in, I had the notifications. At least it works.

Artemis, Toby, Carol, I try to quote you here but using shortcut version, just want to see if it works/you get the notification also.

Hello from Moriarty

Hello from Sherly

Hello from John

I suspect they don't.

The only notification I got from you today was from another thread.  No surprise.

• Like 1

Nope, I wasn't notified.

Edit: Why am I being greeted by the Napoleon of Crime. :P

Yep, so it doesn't work. At least it's easier to identify who you are quoting.

P.S

I know Carol likes John.

I think T.o.b.y loves Sherlock.

I wasn't sure which is your favorite but everyone here likes Moriarty XD I guess.. actually somehow I blanked on other characters when I wrote the post, the only ones that crossed my mind were Magnussen and Moriarty :p

• Like 1

I wasn't sure which is your favorite but everyone here likes Moriarty XD I guess.. actually somehow I blanked on other characters when I wrote the post, the only ones that crossed my mind were Magnussen and Moriarty :p

Lol! Well then at least it wasn't a greeting from the face-licker. :P

Sherlock is my very most favorite. Ever. Of all time. Yep. *Nods*